Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 03-07-2005, 11:11 PM   #61
Citric GT
Its yellow, NOT green!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 347stroker
its funny to see how dillusional some people really are....
UNITY IN STRENGTH
The reason so many (young) people feel secure and think nothing can happen to them is because they have never known what its like to have bad working conditions etc. They don't realise that the only reason we enjoy good conditions is because previous generations (with the help of thier unions) have fought hard to get them.

Anyone, especially young people, who can't recognise this are just showing disrespect to thier elders who gave them what they have today.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:14 PM   #62
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citric XR6
The reason so many (young) people feel secure and think nothing can happen to them is because they have never known what its like to have bad working conditions etc. They don't realise that the only reason we enjoy good conditions is because previous generations (with the help of thier unions) have fought hard to get them.

Anyone, especially young people, who can't recognise this are just showing disrespect to thier elders who gave them what they have today.
Well said.....

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2005, 11:18 PM   #63
347Stroker
Banned

I can see a return of the term "SCAB" and "No Guts-No Principals" for alot of people, and unrest in the workplace. Howard does not realise we are a nation of battlers, and will revolt. It will eventually make the unions stronger, because everyone will have to join....
Bring back the glory days I say, bring on the REVOLOUTION.....
347Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2005, 11:25 PM   #64
Citric GT
Its yellow, NOT green!

Quote:

Further to my last post I'd like to add that I'm only 24 and I too have never had to fight for my conditions but I work in an environment where most blokes have 30, 40 and some over 50 years service. To hear some of the things they had to go through its a wonder any of them stuck around.

A few months ago I read a biography on Ben Chifley (ex Prime Minister) and that really opened my eyes to certain things. Thats why I think this is such an important subject.

Last edited by Citric GT; 03-07-2005 at 11:27 PM. Reason: spelling
Citric GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2005, 11:29 PM   #65
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

Quote:

This is exactly why we see a decline in union membership especially in the younger working ranks. I know it's personal choice but hopefully it won't be too late for some to realise this when the boot in the **** comes. I made the quick decision to join one as soon as I started working at 18.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:31 PM   #66
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There was a revolution in the past..the RED Revolution...there is a new revolution brewing and it will be called.....EQUALITY.
The corporatist ideal is on the down...they have reached the peak of their bell curve,as with the industrial revolution the workers will prevail...its just a matter of time and perserverance.

UNITED WE STAND DEVIDED WE FALL.....workers of Australia unite!!!!

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 03-07-2005, 11:31 PM   #67
347Stroker
Banned

Yes, you are right....only last century we were all out for wage rises, holidays, sick pay, the 40 hour week....and many things that are just taken for granted these days.
Do you think ol' Jackboot wearing Howard will want to see these conditions upheld.....never.
We all need to get together and have everybody informed of what it really means, and educate the younger guys.....I am an old union rep, and was in the coal mines, so know what a strike is all about....and the people out there that carry on about unions, and how silly they are.....just ask them if they like their holidays, and leave loading at work.......because it was the unity of the worker that got these conditions....
Old 03-07-2005, 11:36 PM   #68
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Work Place changes is the thread we are talking about and the current situation and proposed changes.
Political views and who you voted for have no issue here.
Please keep it on the topic.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2005, 11:56 PM   #69
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRFPV8
Work Place changes is the thread we are talking about and the current situation and proposed changes.
Face facts...you talk about changes to the IR system...which stem from the gov't in power...HOW can it not get a little political.

And personally as far as I'm concerned I asked the mods to allow this thread to run its course as it could be a very interesting and enlightning thread..political or not.

Because there is such a diverse viewpoint out there that needs to be expressed and we must appreciate the views of all,in order to come to a relevant conclusion.

I know political threads as such are frowned upon....however given the wide ramifications of the topic...I think a little political banter is not out of order.

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 04-07-2005, 12:18 AM   #70
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

Thanks guys - I stopped reading quasi-political threads back in the FF.com days because I couldn't stand the right-wing rubbish.

I'm about to start a new job in the political sphere - here's to change!

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2005, 12:52 AM   #71
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I would appreciate your input as a moderator...considering my reply to your last post......all I would ask is your honest view as to how you as an individual feel about the the proposed changes.

I am hoping that ppl keep their high political views subdued and that some political banter is tolerated by the mods,as this is a very very serious subject.

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 04-07-2005, 12:54 AM   #72
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McMaster
Face facts...you talk about changes to the IR system...which stem from the gov't in power...HOW can it not get a little political.
i am a Union Steward for NUW, i am involved in on-going discussions for 150 people on our site, i understand what is going on.
we can talk about the current situation, workplace relations.
they way some of the posts are going it well end up in a Liberal Vs Labor thread.
Calling a political leader Adolf and other names, wont help others take there post as a serious work place relations post, ends up looking more like political bashing thread.
Quote:
I would appreciate your input as a moderator...considering my reply to your last post......all I would ask is your honest view as to how you as an individual feel about the the proposed changes.

I am hoping that ppl keep their high political views subdued and that some political banter is tolerated by the mods,as this is a very very serious subject.
I have already made 2 posts in this thread yesterday. i do enough posting now..lol.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2005, 01:14 AM   #73
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
i am a Union Steward for NUW, i am involved in on-going discussions for 150 people on our site, i understand what is going on.
we can talk about the current situation, workplace relations.
they way some of the posts are going it well end up in a Liberal Vs Labor thread.
Calling a political leader Adolf and other names, wont help others take there post as a serious work place relations post, ends up looking more like political bashing thread.

I have already made 2 posts in this thread yesterday. i do enough posting now..lol.
Thankyou,at least I now know where you stand and you will appreciate I hope where I am coming from,being a past union sec/rep for twenty odd years.

It is important for members union or forum to state their views and I agree so long as they don't get to political,then it should be acceptable.

I for one will say don't talk about Adolph etc...stick to the topic...however a little political side track should be ok.

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 04-07-2005, 07:26 AM   #74
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:
Adolph Howard is the lowet, most evil person to ever run this country in my opinion.
He is only riding on the back of the wealth and success of Hawke/Keating labour years, and now he is going to lay in the boot.....
The success of Hawke/Keating Labour years? Whats in your water? The only thing that Hawke said which he stood by was, when boss of the Union "If We don't get our way, We will BRING THIS COUNTRY TO ITS KNEE'S" There was a statement of truth, sure did make that happen, hey. We went from AAA rating with Malcom Fraiser (Which Party?) to Banana Republic with your mates Bob and Paul. When was the National Debt racked up? During the wealth and success of Hawke/ Keating labour years!
Why don't we all vote for the Cabbie Basher, or better yet Kim, no policy is better than a bad one, Beazley!
You must pass an IQ test to get most jobs, but not to vote!

Anyhow, the Cowboys won Again!
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2005, 09:10 AM   #75
347Stroker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNM96
The success of Hawke/Keating Labour years? Whats in your water? The only thing that Hawke said which he stood by was, when boss of the Union "If We don't get our way, We will BRING THIS COUNTRY TO ITS KNEE'S" There was a statement of truth, sure did make that happen, hey. We went from AAA rating with Malcom Fraiser (Which Party?) to Banana Republic with your mates Bob and Paul. When was the National Debt racked up? During the wealth and success of Hawke/ Keating labour years!
Why don't we all vote for the Cabbie Basher, or better yet Kim, no policy is better than a bad one, Beazley!
You must pass an IQ test to get most jobs, but not to vote!

Anyhow, the Cowboys won Again!
And you dont think the floatation of the Australian dollar led to this....

Look, as I sit here and watch the news today, they have just said 100 of Howards staff are walking off the job today due to IR.......

Hows that for loyalty to the boss......
Old 04-07-2005, 09:26 AM   #76
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
i am a Union Steward for NUW,
Dam thats a small world! My Brother is a big shot in the same Union. In fact based on where you work (in Vic state) I'd say he's probably your representative!

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2005, 12:16 PM   #77
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

John McMaster. I am in Queensland. Public sector nurses, are covered by a Federal Award, and the private hospital nurses have a State Award. The QNU is my union.
"Combs out lads, lousy times ahead" Sergeant Schultz
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2005, 12:26 PM   #78
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

XRFFPV8. I called Howard ,Adolph as he is dictatorial. From July 1 ,it will get worse. With control of the Senate, He will do what he likes, no checks and balances in place. Democracy ,as we know it ,will end. If you believe otherwise, sorry. But it will happen, rich will get richer and the poor poorer.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2005, 12:56 PM   #79
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This isnt the first time that a Government has had a majority in both houses though.... They only have a 1 seat majority and it isnt that uncommon for some floor crossings as well....

I am also in an industry with no award (IT)... and looking at the pay rates in this industry they are mostly very reasonable also a lot of us are on contracts which bypass any anti dismissal laws anyway... these contracts are just getting more common... However some industries will not be like this..

Quote:
He is only riding on the back of the wealth and success of Hawke/Keating labour years
bwahahahaha if success is defined by massive interest rates and high foreign debt then i guess so....

Last edited by Perana XR8; 04-07-2005 at 01:05 PM.
Perana is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2005, 03:08 PM   #80
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

Quote:
I see you work in the ACT...a protected species no doubt?
So you make the assumption that I work in a particular industry, or work environment, because of what state I live in....talk about narrow minded.

Quote:
Quasi; you do live in your own little world don't you, get a grip on reality sport,there are ppl out there who do not have the smarts or experience to negotiate an AWA.
Not everyone has a tertiary education, me included. I got to where I am because I took what work I could get, and didn't let myself get taken advantage off. If that was happening I got a job somewhere else.

Let's get one thing clear, I don't like or agree with the PM....and I did not vote for him.
The Toy - 03 BA GT In 'Venom', Silver BF Stripe Kit, Non-Premium Sound, Cloth Trim, Auto, 19" Staggered Vertini, Custom Exhaust, Roof DVD

Member of the FPV & XR Owners Club of ACT

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums
Quasi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2005, 03:36 PM   #81
bindi
Redhead extraordinaire...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasi
Let's get one thing clear, I don't like or agree with the PM....and I did not vote for him.
Same... not that I voted Labor either. The hippie in me just couldn't do it.

Bob Debus (our Federal local member - in the true sense of the word) shut down the maternity unit of our local hospital a few years ago. Women had to drive to Penrith (nearly an hour away) to a big ugly awful unfriendly hospital to have their babies, sometimes driving in dreadful conditions (snow, ice, rain, tourist traffic jams).

So then, after much debate, he decided that women were allowed to have their babies from Thursday to Sunday at the local hospital. Any other time, off to Penrith. After a fair few women gave birth in the emergency wing when they couldn't MAKE it to Penrith hospital, eventually the maternity ward was reopened.

So I will never vote Labor while that buttwad is our representative, but hate Liberal even more... it's the lesser of two evils I guess. But there's no longer that big a difference between them IMHO.

Oh is this too political?! Sorry to the mods!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
Oh, and another surefire symptom will be the Falcon badge at the back.
bindi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2005, 06:01 PM   #82
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bindi
So I will never vote Labor while that buttwad is our representative, but hate Liberal even more... it's the lesser of two evils I guess. But there's no longer that big a difference between them IMHO.

Oh is this too political?! Sorry to the mods!
Dosen't matter who you vote for you still get politicians.

Oops now I'm been political, back to the topic!
Old 04-07-2005, 08:05 PM   #83
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:

Look, as I sit here and watch the news today, they have just said 100 of Howards staff are walking off the job today due to IR.......

I never said I agree with the IR changes, and truth be known, I have not even given them the time of day. I am in the well planned position of having a trade behind me, and therefore have some security.

I take great offence however at your statement. While John Howard is not popular, he has made the decisions which I believe were nessesary, to bring this country back towards where it needs to get. GST was a toughie, but ask your beloved Labour Party if they will be abolishing it as soon as they get in. Not Happening! Do you think you are worse off due to the implementation of the GST? I think not. The only reason the Libs have the Majority is due to the fact that the majority voted for them. There is a lot of the minority who did not vote for them!
I am a Lib Voter, but have voted for Beatty who is the Labour, QLD Premier, for the last two elections, because he has done a good job! Credit where credit is due! Which brings me back to the beginning, Hawke and Keating deserve nothing but Shame!!! out: out: out: 'Eff' 'em' I say, the UnAustralian Dogs!!!
PS, Ferarri did not win again : :the_finge
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2005, 08:27 PM   #84
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

Quote:
Thankyou,at least I now know where you stand and you will appreciate I hope where I am coming from,being a past union sec/rep for twenty odd years.
Should have known by all the socialist retoric.

Quote:
It is important for members union or forum to state their views and I agree so long as they don't get to political,then it should be acceptable.
I am a member of the Australian Ford Forum, not some stinking union, and as such I answered another post by a FORUM member, it had nothing to do with unions.

Quote:
I for one will say don't talk about Adolph etc...stick to the topic...however a little political side track should be ok.
Yeah, as long as no-one has an opposing opinion you're happy.
The Toy - 03 BA GT In 'Venom', Silver BF Stripe Kit, Non-Premium Sound, Cloth Trim, Auto, 19" Staggered Vertini, Custom Exhaust, Roof DVD

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums
Old 04-07-2005, 08:32 PM   #85
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

Quote:

I don't know where that came from, but the Department of Prime Minister & Cabinet, has around 600 users (public servants), and there has been nothing said about this internally.

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums
Old 04-07-2005, 08:38 PM   #86
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perana XR8
I am also in an industry with no award (IT)... and looking at the pay rates in this industry they are mostly very reasonable also a lot of us are on contracts which bypass any anti dismissal laws anyway... these contracts are just getting more common... However some industries will not be like this..
Exactly.

Unions don't like these non-union industries, because they don't make a buck. IT must be one of the few, if not the only, industry where good money can be earned (and in good conditions), without union interference to screw things up for the workers.

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums

Last edited by Quasi; 04-07-2005 at 08:46 PM.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:49 PM   #87
Jamie XR6
3FB Detailing Tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasi
Exactly.

Unions don't like these non-union industries, because they don't make a buck. IT must be one of the few, if not the only, industry where good money can be earned, without union interference to screw things up for the workers.
That might be true, but remember, the benefits you enjoy at your workplace have all been hard won by unions somewhere in the past.

I've never belonged to a union in my 20 years in the workforce, but I recognise that my working conditions have all come about by unions working for a fair deal.

Love em or loath them, if it wasn't for them we'd be working in some terrible conditions.
03 BA XR6T, Black, T5, Unichip tuned by Autotech Engineering (235.5 rwkW), BPT short shifter, Custom Leather, 18" rims, PBR sports calipers, Lowered, Tint, duel CAI & BMC filter, AWC bits, custom stripes.

My Website
Jamie XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2005, 09:00 PM   #88
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

Mate, All union reps ever did for me was show me how well they **** into my bosses pocket. I spent 10 years in the building industry, and a lot of years in other union infected industries, and the best money and working conditions I ever had were in non union industries, fending for myself.

This is why political threads (I know it didn't start out this way) in any form are not welcome, and that, comrade McMaster, includes unionism.

I'm outta here for a while.....I used to enjoy this forum.

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums

Last edited by Quasi; 04-07-2005 at 09:38 PM.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:42 PM   #89
347Stroker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNM96
I never said I agree with the IR changes, and truth be known, I have not even given them the time of day. I am in the well planned position of having a trade behind me, and therefore have some security.

I take great offence however at your statement. While John Howard is not popular, he has made the decisions which I believe were nessesary, to bring this country back towards where it needs to get. GST was a toughie, but ask your beloved Labour Party if they will be abolishing it as soon as they get in. Not Happening! Do you think you are worse off due to the implementation of the GST? I think not. The only reason the Libs have the Majority is due to the fact that the majority voted for them. There is a lot of the minority who did not vote for them!
I am a Lib Voter, but have voted for Beatty who is the Labour, QLD Premier, for the last two elections, because he has done a good job! Credit where credit is due! Which brings me back to the beginning, Hawke and Keating deserve nothing but Shame!!! out: out: out: 'Eff' 'em' I say, the UnAustralian Dogs!!!
PS, Ferarri did not win again : :the_finge
I see you say you have a trade and therefore have some security...

Who do you think it was that fought hard for the awards that you currently enjoy.......

It was Bob and Paul....yes, thats right, and what has John done for manufacturing exports......you are not so safe in your trade mate....

The flotation of the Aussie dollar came out as a result of the Campbell enquiry, and Fraser didnt have the balls to do it, and it was the Hawke government that made the tough decisions to make Australia's future brighter....and now Howard is enjoying the fruits of their "Labour"...lol.

If you really want to know, it was also Hawke and Keating that really brought the unions into line, and consolidated the 'Unions", something that the unions still dont forgive them for...

As I see it, I have never known a leader that has been shown to be a liar as many times as our current leader, but he still has everyones faith..

The proposed new IR reforms will do nothing but drive down wages, conditions and job security......

Now thats got to be a positive step in everyones futures.....pmsl.....
Old 04-07-2005, 10:07 PM   #90
347Stroker
Banned

I am not here to preach my beliefs in politics, and sometimes get a little carried away, but we really do need to look at the bigger picture here...

What are these reforms going to do for us all???

Do you all really realise what is up for you all to lose?
Do you want your holiday pay loading?
Do you want employer contributed superannuation?
Do you want penalty rates?
Do you want holidays?
Do you want sick leave?
Do you want a 38 hour week?
Do you want annual pay increases?
Do you want compassionate leave?
Do you want berevement leave?
Women, do you want job security, seeing pregnancy could hamper some bosses from employing you, seeing that they have to keep your job open for your maternity leave period?
Do you want the right to tell the boss, "no, I am not doing that task, its too unsafe"???

These are just a few points for you to think about guys, and dont believe it wont happen......its his plan.

Why would you want to throw away hard earned entitlements we have.....

Its just bloody un-australian