Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 03-08-2011, 10:44 AM   #31
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 
Default Re: Headers & exhaust fitted

Quote:
Originally Posted by focus36
Which a couple of mechanics have told me will stuff up amounts of fuel been injected, therefore not having the most efficient/powerful result...?? Apparently pacemaker now make a type of "false" sensor to get around this issue of extra emissions been detected post cat..
You can remedy the fuel / air mixtures with a custom tune. In Vic, Bullet Performance Racing do them for the Focus.

The check engine light (CEL) comes on due to an error code - usually a "P0420 - Catalytic Converter Efficiency Below Threshold" - basically saying that exhaust emissions are above normal (ie. due to a more efficient header + high-flow cat). The code itself is just an emissions warning. It is not a warning regarding altered air/fuel mixtures. If a cylinder(s) is running overly rich / lean, seperate error codes exist for this.

There are 3 ways to address the CEL:
1. Fit an 02 cheater harness / sensor as you have described
2. A custom tune can also turn off the rear exhaust stream 02 sensor (ie. the sensor after the cat)
3. A spark plug non-fouler trick, as I have done - yes, believe it or not, this really works (it is a mechanical fix, not an electrical / computer fix): http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11251960

Here is the how-to: http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-how...ouler-how.html
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2011, 10:54 AM   #32
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

By the way, if you fit the xforce system, I would recommend this change to the rear muffler (unless you love drone!)

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11299664

Post #8 in the thread above also has more info RE: anti-fouler fixes
Old 14-08-2011, 03:28 PM   #33
focus36
Starter Motor

Ok, so you are saying that i should only get a warning light regarding emissions, and it wont actually be altering air/fuel mixtures? If this is the case then no problem. That way i can hold out on getting it retuned when i have head work done on the engine.

Getting the x-force system put on tomorrow, with an extra resonator at the back, (heard enough drone in my life!) so hopefully all goes well.

Thanks again DZ
focus36 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2011, 07:24 PM   #34
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The new header and cat will definitely cause a change in air-fuel ratio. Your ECU has some ability to compensate / adjust for this, but it will never be 100% optimal unless it is custom tuned.

Otherwise, yes, the warning light is due to emissions only.

Good luck with the install!

PS - pics or ban!

Last edited by DZFord; 14-08-2011 at 07:48 PM.
Old 14-08-2011, 10:14 PM   #35
focus36
Starter Motor

Haha. No worries
Just checking that it wouldn't put the ecu into a "limp home" mode.
Old 16-08-2011, 11:27 PM   #36
focus36
Starter Motor

Well, X-Force forget to package the main muffler with everything else. doh! So yesterday i had header, cat, and mid section pipe/resonator installed and just temporarily linked to the standard rear muffler and pipe - So it's quite a bit quieter than it will be in the end. But most of the way there at least

The pacemaker post cat sensor cheater seems to do it's job, no engine lights at all !! very happy with that.

Here is the header - exactly the same as DZ's

Join of old and new

Mid section with nice shiny resonator.

Hopefully the rest of the system turns up soon and it will be finished properly.

Last edited by focus36; 14-09-2011 at 03:04 PM.
Old 17-08-2011, 10:01 AM   #37
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great stuff, I love the look of shiny new headers.

Can't believe they forgot the main muffler. When will you have it finished off?
Old 17-08-2011, 04:10 PM   #38
focus36
Starter Motor

Won't be till next week now :(
Abs light came on in the car this morning... hmm, couple of days after exhaust so shouldnt be related..
Old 17-08-2011, 06:14 PM   #39
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you do a search in this section of the forum I think there is some info on the ABS light, I remember some members having trouble with it in the past.
Old 17-08-2011, 06:39 PM   #40
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

First thing to check when the ABS light comes on is the amount of movement in the wheel bearings. The ABS system has trouble picking up messages from the wheel hubs if the bearings collapse as it throws the distance between the hub unit and the sensor out.
Put car up on a jack and with both hands wobble the wheel up and down. It should have virtually no movement.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2011, 11:23 AM   #41
focus36
Starter Motor

Ok cheers. Will do this at some stage. Hopefully I don't need new hubs! I have no noise associated with a bad hub, so hope not. Could it just be dirty sensors if thats the case? The abs light spends most of the time off. Quite often makes an appearance though...
Old 14-09-2011, 05:25 PM   #42
focus36
Starter Motor

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11342997

link to my headers/intake thread