Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 07-11-2023, 04:30 PM   #2641
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: Mowing ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Indeed, the spark arrestor was solidly caked with carbon. Presently got the whole muffler in chemicals to try and remove much as possible.

Hoping there is no further issue, but I notice the primer bulb never gets a really “firm” feel to it so there could be supply side investigations later.
Easiest way to remove the carbon is to set fire to it.................probably let the chemicals dry first though. I actually did two of my BG86's yesterday with a gas torch flame.

Same topic, but deeper, the two BG86's at work had been losing power and not revving properly. They were sent in for "service" at the Stihl dealer, only to return exactly the same. I guess they thought a sale would be forthcoming.

I pulled the exhaust screen out, but it wasn't too bad. I then removed the muffler to find the exhaust port on the head almost completely blocked. I chipped away the carbon, reinstalled the muffler and they both ran like champs again. Sometimes, you have to do things yourself to get the result.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-11-2023, 04:48 PM   #2642
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Yes, as you suggested - wash out the degreaser after gentle agitation with a fine brass brush, then blowtorch. Exhaust port nice and clean.

It still stumbles a bit like a spark or over-rich mixture issue (sounds “fat” if you know carbureted cars and the exhaust note changing with richness/leanness), but will actually rev hard now.

Your advice has got it going so much better though - thank you!
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-11-2023, 05:20 PM   #2643
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Yes, as you suggested - wash out the degreaser after gentle agitation with a fine brass brush, then blowtorch. Exhaust port nice and clean.

It still stumbles a bit like a spark or over-rich mixture issue (sounds “fat” if you know carbureted cars and the exhaust note changing with richness/leanness), but will actually rev hard now.

Your advice has got it going so much better though - thank you!
Adjusting Idle (LA), Low speed (L) and high speed (H) -

Mustang GT

Old 20-11-2023, 12:04 PM   #2644
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Whats got me buggered atm is how the **** people can try telling me that being a parts interpreter is so easy, yet in the past fortnight I've had 5 machines dumped in my lap that were non runners, and the fault has been traced directly to an incorrect spark plug!

I'm not complaining though, so far I've on-sold 3 of them for a combined profit of $400, I'm keeping the chainsaw (MS280) and I'm about to put the Honda mower on marketplace for $300!
Old 20-11-2023, 01:12 PM   #2645
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

After the 30mm of rain we got in the storm last week some green bits started showing through in all the paddocks.The back paddock where the horse usually lives is particularly green and looking quite smooth. I haven't mowed it since about April or May as it was just a desert. What I had done was spread the horse manure with the mower and boy has that made a difference. Neighbour's paddocks are still brown and patchy so I know what I have been doing has paid off. All I need now is some follow up rain to really change the place. I mowed over the weekend and the place is starting to look a treat again.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-12-2023, 08:54 PM   #2646
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Friday is mow day, and one lucky employee gets to spend a couple of hours on this impressive machine. I have to say, having used it only a couple of times, it's such a pleasure to ride on, the suspension certainly does its job. It'll even pop a mono with ease, especially with that big iron lump hanging off the back. That lump is a 24hp 993 cc 3-cylinder Yanmar naturally aspirated, indirect injection diesel, which cuts through anything with ease.

But this thing was nearly cooked today. It's been losing coolant in a mysterious manner over the last year or so, not enough to panic about, but enough to notice. There were no visible leaks, no coolant residue or smell.

When the mower was serviced last week, which we have done on site, the coolant was mentioned to the tech separately by me and the boss. He sort of brushed it off, finished his work, then left.

Halfway through the lawns today, the employee brought the mower back in with steam pouring out of the thing and smelling VERY hot. The temp reading over 175 degrees. The mechanic was called, who arrived and found a hole in the radiator where it had been rubbing/vibrating against a bracket.

It's sort of hard to know where to point blame on this, as mentioned, there was no visible leakage, just the gradual drop in the surge tank over a month or two. In which case, it would have been hard for the tech to diagnose. On the other hand, he didn't follow through with an inspection despite our concerns. And was the contact with the bracket a manufacturing defect or just poor design? Either way, its at our cost.

The worry now is what has the overheating done to the engine? The oil was still clear and there was no white smoke indicating a blown head gasket. I have also suggested changing the oil again due to the heat.

While I actually like this mower, it's not been well received. Firstly, its very, very heavy, which can present a challenge on moist ground. It's also way more complicated to work on that the Toro's that went before it. They want to go back to Torro at some point, but the lack of fatigue that comes with the suspension on the Ferris is certainly a benefit. If it were me, I would stay with Ferris, but go for the lighter petrol V-twin powered models, which are almost half the weight of the diesel model.
Mustang GT

4 users like this post:
Old 03-12-2023, 05:26 PM   #2647
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

This is an excellent video on how to use a chainsaw from someone who uses one all day.

For this particular video, he is using the new 55.5cc Husqvarna 455 Rancher, which sits at the top of the domestic/landowner line. The equivalent Stihl would be the MS 291 C-BE, or the pro grade MS 261 C-M.

https://www.husqvarna.com/au/chainsaws/455-rancher/

https://www.stihl.com.au/STIHL-Produ...S-261-C-M.aspx
https://www.stihl.com.au/STIHL-Produ...-291-C-BE.aspx

Although he lacks a little technical knowledge, he does present some good information. Despite having used saws for 20 years, I still learnt something here. Some key moments -

- Fuel & Oil, I would stress using the oil recommended by the brand of saw you have, at the very least during the warranty period. In any case, most choosing a decent saw are looking at the three main brands, Stihl/Echo/Husqvarna, in which case their oils are benchmarks anyway. I also agree with him saying don't be a backyard chemist, just stick to the recommended rates. (2.01min)

- A good tip on how to start a flooded engine. (22.04)

- Importance of using chaps, I don't but I really should. (24.23)

- The damage done to your chain after touching the ground/soil, and the considerable time it adds to a cut. (53.50)
Mustang GT

Old 03-12-2023, 06:18 PM   #2648
Vekgib

I treated myself to a Rover Lawn King 18/42 a few months back. First ride-on mower I've owned. After today, it's now sitting at an outrageous 4.3 hours on the clock.
Once I learn how to post a photo, I will. But honestly, between it and the Honda UMK425U Brushcutter, it's the first time I've ever actually enjoyed mowing the lawn.

Stuff this,I'm going to play a few shots & see what happens.
Vekgib is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-12-2023, 06:37 PM   #2649
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vekgib View Post
I treated myself to a Rover Lawn King 18/42 a few months back. First ride-on mower I've owned. After today, it's now sitting at an outrageous 4.3 hours on the clock.
Once I learn how to post a photo, I will. But honestly, between it and the Honda UMK425U Brushcutter, it's the first time I've ever actually enjoyed mowing the lawn.
Make an (free) account at Postimage, then follow the below -

https://postimages.org/

Click "Upload", then click "Choose Your Images" and select the images you want, click open.

Once uploaded, click "Share", click "Hotlink For Forums", then go to your post and paste the link into your post (ctrl V).

Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 04-12-2023, 12:55 AM   #2650
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
Tomorrow we edge, mow, do a tip run of mixed waste (ute tray) plus balance of green waste (trailer), dismantle and stack the shed panels.
This job got stretched out a good bit. Finally all done, and it also looks like the estate has sold at full price.
Shed panels will be in central Tasmania Wednesday morning.
Old 06-12-2023, 09:37 AM   #2651
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

One thing is for sure with this off on rain and humidity/sun, grass is growing like on steriods.
Fortnightly mowing for sometime now, grows like 3"s and more.
Leave it to the 3rd week your doomed to add another half hour or more on the job.
Sydney temps next few days, today not too bad around 28, Thursday 31, Friday 35 and Saturday 42 !
Friday arvo likely my time on the job but damn the humidity is high !
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 06-12-2023, 12:55 PM   #2652
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Pardon me if this isn't strictly on topic but I need some advice/ideas

I have a backyard that is two leveled, dropping about 7 foot from one level to another

I need some ideas on what I can do to pretty it up, while also on a budget. I'm cash strapped at the moment but I'm sick of weeds and management etc. Ideally would like to get some crushed rock down, maybe a kids play equipment on the lower level etc.

But this wall.. it's about a 7ft drop on a fairly steep angle. I don't know what to do with it. Will mulch stick? I figure mulching it and maybe getting some large rocks etc might work enough.

Here's some photos to walk you through it:

Firstly, need some tips on how to manage the edging between path and grass. There is a timber divider in there somewhere:

Ideally would want to create some sort of pathway down along the left side here:

Top level:

Pathway as you see it from walking down the side of the house from the top drive way

Other side of the house that gets smashed by leaves/debris dropping from those trees:

Down the left side I would need to do something to pretty it up:

View of the two levels:

Looking from the lower level up. This has been doing my head in for 12 months, unsure what to do. Initially had wanted to build a deck with an above ground pool and may still do so someday, but funds certainly not available for that right now

View of the lower level

And right at the bottom is a third level, even harder to deal with

Also, bonus if anyone has any tips to clean an asphalt drive way. 12 months since we moved in, only this week has our road finally been sealed so that mud won't be coming in on any near amount of level. But the driveway now looks **** house. I'd like to be able to clean it thoroughly!

Yes, I'm not a handy person.. haven't always enjoyed doing this sort of stuff, and working 6 days a week I don't usually like to spend much time on it. Should have built a townhouse

Appreciate any tips
Old 06-12-2023, 01:15 PM   #2653
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Mulch won’t do it. You need a retaining wall that incorporates drainage. The DIY stackable block systems are unlikely to last in such a loaded application unless expertly prepared, drained and laid. Rock walls start off with huge stones at the base, again not an amateur job to prepare and lay the base course.

Look at some of the systems using universal beam (“I-Beam”) sections set into augured holes, with concrete faux sleepers slotted into the beams’ webbing.

Also, despite being the least appealing way to go, start with your furthest walls and levels. That way any equipment you bring in won’t damage other landscaping works.
7 users like this post:
Old 06-12-2023, 01:31 PM   #2654
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Unless you want to use something like sandstone logs
(500x500x1500-2000 size) set them in a reverse batter footing so can hook into the bank.

As for a DIY I would just simple either plant out the banks with Aussie native plants and floater stones or use smaller one man size (300mm) stone to follow the same line as the current angle will usually allow water to pass over the stone without washing it out.
Sort of similar to dry stoning around the inner bank of a dam.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 06-12-2023, 01:33 PM   #2655
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
Sydney temps next few days, today not too bad around 28, Thursday 31, Friday 35 and Saturday 42 !
One reason we headed for the next housesit today on Dangar Island, beaut cooling winds here.

2 users like this post:
Old 06-12-2023, 01:45 PM   #2656
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

We know DFB will come in here and come up with multiple DIY tips (roK may have good ideas re the reataining walls) but here's my train of thought.
Yer PJ when your not a handyman makes it even harder but when it comes to saving $$ you got to put in the hard yakka - satisfying when done but yep you'll pay for it physically and moan and groan haha.

With split levels its hard yakka building retaining walls.
Cheap way is besa blocks as a thought but needing to dig a trench fill with concrete for the foundation.
Need to drill holes for water drainage in the blocks or you can space the base blocks a little. Agline layed behind the wall first off sand base, followed by blue metal then lay the line followed by back fill.

IF you couldn't be bothered doing that yakka you could turn the slope into a garden, plant natives or what suits the climate and lay down a 2/3 or 4 small brick curved wall, far less work compared to the above.

Edging/dividers for paths or borders.
I have used countless times pavers or bricks sideways up as borders, want it ground level you need to dig a little down so close to ground level - pavers I cement them down.
Easy job but tedious though well worth.
Far more durable than all these plastic borders you can buy fron buinnings nowadays.

Down the left side to pretty up,
comes down to how well you want it to look, making a garden bed with a front border similar as mentioned above but a straight line and how wide you like it to be.
Plants hide the fence thats a easy one to do tbh.

Overhang trees/bush's from neighbours side.
Well won't help heaps (for there is all the rest up high their side) but whatever hangs over your side of the fence you can trim it all back to the borderline, all you can do.

Got gurnie or karcher for the driveway ?
Many products to get to pour over then jet blast away.
Maybe that 90second product form bunnings will be enough - I have used chlorhine granuals with success tbh at times.
Hose down a section, get long handle course broom, scrub down then blow off.

Good luck mate look forward what you end up doing.
2 users like this post:
Old 06-12-2023, 01:48 PM   #2657
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
One reason we headed for the next housesit today on Dangar Island, beaut cooling winds here.
yer very nice - there always a breeze through there.....
What you bludging mate, no wall jobs till next year eh ?
Old 06-12-2023, 01:56 PM   #2658
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
yer very nice - there always a breeze through there.....
What you bludging mate, no wall jobs till next year eh ?
Hells yeah, Next job, Beechworth next year.

2 users like this post:
Old 06-12-2023, 05:36 PM   #2659
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

haha yer good luck to you with your kind of work !
You deserve 6mths off recovery !!
Jeeez you get around for those jobs, seem Vic is your go to more than anywhere else.

I suspect you having some feeds at Mooney Mooney ?
Haven't been there for a little while, great small hangout.
We got our Xmas lunch up at Saddles couple of weeks.

I'll have to get the wife and take her to good ol Brooklyn for a walk around and lunch through the NY.
2 users like this post:
Old 06-12-2023, 05:55 PM   #2660
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
haha yer good luck to you with your kind of work !
You deserve 6mths off recovery !!
Jeeez you get around for those jobs, seem Vic is your go to more than anywhere else.

I suspect you having some feeds at Mooney Mooney ?
Haven't been there for a little while, great small hangout.
We got our Xmas lunch up at Saddles couple of weeks.

I'll have to get the wife and take her to good ol Brooklyn for a walk around and lunch through the NY.
Back in Vic when it gets cooler to work again. Still doing some consultancy work in the CBD upto Xmas.

If you get up here apart from Mt White or Brooklyn, there's a great cafe on the Island right at the wharf.....Yes, I've already had brekky there twice.

On the mowing subject. No lawns to mow here, the grass back home will be dead by now and just dirt until March.

Old 06-12-2023, 11:09 PM   #2661
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Thank you for the responses ☺️
Old 07-12-2023, 06:40 AM   #2662
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Quote:
One thing is for sure with this off on rain and humidity/sun, grass is growing like on steriods.
Fortnightly mowing for sometime now, grows like 3"s and more.
Leave it to the 3rd week your doomed to add another half hour or more on the job.
Doing mine (front) today as festivities start tonight. It just about grows as you watch.
2 users like this post:
Old 07-12-2023, 06:16 PM   #2663
CFOUR
The Destroyer

this is the first week since March that I've had to cut mine twice in a week.
Old 07-12-2023, 10:38 PM   #2664
randel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFOUR View Post
this is the first week since March that I've had to cut mine twice in a week.
Yep twice a week here - and even then its starting to look untidy by mow time...

Toys - 351 XY Falcon and FG GT
randel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-12-2023, 09:56 AM   #2665
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Isnt it funny how simplicity changes everything, I've owned 6 Honda mowers now, from a brand new HRU19, to multiple HRU196's and 21's, all of which I've on-sold at a profit untill I was left with a tidy enough HRU19 that I picked up as supposedly siezed (turns out that all it needed was fuel, whereupon it did my back yard before I actually looked at what it needed.... just a service!), and tuesday night I picked up a gem of a HRU194, its seen some use, as evidenced by its nearly smooth wheels, but the deck is in beautiful condition, it even has 99% of the decal on the front edge of the deck, the first part that gets wiped off by long grass!
Started second pull, runs like any Honda does even if the revs seem a bit low, and even with 2 out of the 4 blades it should have, both of them flogged to death, it still did a great job on my back yard :-)

I guess I'll show it some love and give it a service.... might even keep this one!
Old 08-12-2023, 02:19 PM   #2666
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

well its 34 right now and I'll have to get mowing much later this arvo for up to 43 tomorrow.

Luv the Honda mowers Interceptor but when upgrade came not long ago I went back down the Victa path thanks to DFB's mower summaries for my needs.
Self drive 4stroke I can't fault it to date and long may it continue.
7 users like this post:
Old 09-12-2023, 03:19 PM   #2667
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Quote:
Luv the Honda mowers Interceptor but when upgrade came not long ago I went back down the Victa path thanks to DFB's mower summaries for my needs.
I bought a new Honda ~ 3 years ago, it wasnt seeing enough use to justify having it, so when a secondhand Honda turned up at the right price, who was I to argue, and the newer one moved on to a new home.

Of the Honda's I've owned since then, they've collectively cost me less than a new SP Victa, and after selling them on, I'm left at a profit, plus 2 nice, reliable mowers so I reckon I'm doing alright!

For the 4 that I've bought and onsold, my cost has been approximately $950 + servicing and I've sold them for a total of $1700.

My current HRU196 owes me $50 plus the same for a new air filter, spark plug, genuine blades & an oil change
My HRU194 I picked up this week, $56.99 for a slab of Great Northern stubbies, $11 for a spark plug and $30 for a set of blades.

At that kinda pricing, I cant really justify having the cost of a new mower that in a busy year will see maybe 20 hours total use....
Old 10-12-2023, 12:18 AM   #2668
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

You seem to walk into a good few bargains. I’m hoping to find a decent used utility mower under $600 in the next while - “play money” first going on a rego, then a diff rebuild.
Old 10-12-2023, 01:56 PM   #2669
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Quote:
You seem to walk into a good few bargains. I’m hoping to find a decent used utility mower under $600 in the next while - “play money” first going on a rego, then a diff rebuild.
They come and go....

The HRU196, HRU216, a GX25 & GX35 powered honda whipper snipper, BF86 & a stihl hedge trimmer all showed up as a job lot for $150, all sporting out of service, engine seized" tags.... hint: none were seized
Old 16-12-2023, 10:39 AM   #2670
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

So.... Recently picked up a HusqvarnaLC18 mower as a trade in, its in very good condition, apart from it "just wont ******* start", not even with a squirt of ether....

Air filter is OK.... oh joy.... a "torch" spark plug.... replaced it with an NGK, and whaddya know, it starts!