Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 21-08-2024, 05:10 PM   #1
nearlythere
END WOKENESS

Default Anyone had a spinal fusion

Hi all,I started a thread a few years back about bad backs.Thought I'd start another to see if anyone has had a spinal fusion and how they went with it.After many years I finally had the surgery.How it came about was strange as I cancelled the lot after appointments ect to have the procedure. A few weeks later I get mail about an appointment for the surgery even after a cancelled it? So I went with it, had the surgery and the rest is history.I had severe "Spondylolisthesis" grade 2 at levels S1-L5. I first went into theater 3 or 4 months ago to go in from the front ( anterior ) But I was a difficult case and after an hour my surgeon abandoned the procedure.2 months later I'm back to try again but from the rear ( posterior ) 3 and a half hours it's done. Complicated but successful.So how am I doing now? The pain remains but I can stand for alot longer.It can take over a year for the bones to heal properly and longer for damaged nerves to recover. I'm hoping it's gets better, So, Any of you guys had this done? I'll add some info below that explains 'Spondylolisthesis' and what a spinal fusion is.I've also been given the flick from my place of employment after 20 years due to my back so that's a legal process at the moment.I worked in a warehouse and according to my EX employers doctors, warehouse work has not caused or contributed to my condition at all. Seriously ...

Last edited by nearlythere; 21-08-2024 at 05:19 PM.
nearlythere is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2024, 05:11 PM   #2
nearlythere
END WOKENESS

Default Re: Anyone had a spinal fusion

Spondylolisthesis is a condition that occurs when one vertebral body slips with respect to the adjacent vertebral body causing radicular or mechanical symptoms or pain. It is graded based on the degree of slippage of one vertebral body on the adjacent vertebral body

Spinal fusion is surgery to permanently join together two or more bones in the spine so there is no movement between them. These bones are called vertebrae. Abnormal curvature in the spine is known as scoliosis, and generally begins just at the onset of puberty and progresses during the period of rapid growth.

Last edited by nearlythere; 21-08-2024 at 05:22 PM.
Old 21-08-2024, 05:12 PM   #3
nearlythere
END WOKENESS

Old 21-08-2024, 05:13 PM   #4
nearlythere
END WOKENESS

Old 21-08-2024, 05:23 PM   #5
nearlythere
END WOKENESS

I do have images of my spine before surgery if anyone is interested.
Old 23-08-2024, 12:59 PM   #6
HIPO
Al

Yeah, had a carbon fibre disc replacement L5 S1 in the late 90's..... have 2 more Kaput now & a Tarlov cyst.
HIPO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2024, 05:36 PM   #7
nearlythere
END WOKENESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIPO View Post
Yeah, had a carbon fibre disc replacement L5 S1 in the late 90's..... have 2 more Kaput now & a Tarlov cyst.
A disc replacement in the 90s? And here we are doing fusions..
How did you go with that mate? And is a fusion on the cards for your other 2?
Old 23-08-2024, 07:59 PM   #8
Rambunctious

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearlythere View Post
Hi all,I started a thread a few years back about bad backs.Thought I'd start another to see if anyone has had a spinal fusion and how they went with it.After many years I finally had the surgery.How it came about was strange as I cancelled the lot after appointments ect to have the procedure. A few weeks later I get mail about an appointment for the surgery even after a cancelled it? So I went with it, had the surgery and the rest is history.I had severe "Spondylolisthesis" grade 2 at levels S1-L5. I first went into theater 3 or 4 months ago to go in from the front ( anterior ) But I was a difficult case and after an hour my surgeon abandoned the procedure.2 months later I'm back to try again but from the rear ( posterior ) 3 and a half hours it's done. Complicated but successful.So how am I doing now? The pain remains but I can stand for alot longer.It can take over a year for the bones to heal properly and longer for damaged nerves to recover. I'm hoping it's gets better, So, Any of you guys had this done? I'll add some info below that explains 'Spondylolisthesis' and what a spinal fusion is.I've also been given the flick from my place of employment after 20 years due to my back so that's a legal process at the moment.I worked in a warehouse and according to my EX employers doctors, warehouse work has not caused or contributed to my condition at all. Seriously ...
Yep, had the same to the same joints in 2006 like you, twice, anterior and posterior, with end result 4 rods 8 screws, due in part to starting in the building industry too young then in 2006 got a staph infection which ate into L5 S1. Took a couple of years to really get over that and today all good.
Rambunctious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2024, 07:02 AM   #9
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes, replied in other thread
Old 24-08-2024, 10:54 AM   #10
HIPO
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearlythere View Post
A disc replacement in the 90s? And here we are doing fusions..
How did you go with that mate? And is a fusion on the cards for your other 2?
Didn't improve the pain..... slowly progressively got worse even with improved fitness, but maybe gave me 15yrs extra for maintenance type labour... hard to say. Professor Fraser who did mine , did warn that corresponding parts would most likely wear.

I'm 65yo now, so might just try to ride it out now, without an Op.
Old 24-08-2024, 12:22 PM   #11
HIPO
Al

They went through the front with mine, taking a bone scraping from the hip, to put into the CF disc to help fuse quicker.
Old 25-08-2024, 04:52 PM   #12
nearlythere
END WOKENESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambunctious View Post
Yep, had the same to the same joints in 2006 like you, twice, anterior and posterior, with end result 4 rods 8 screws, due in part to starting in the building industry too young then in 2006 got a staph infection which ate into L5 S1. Took a couple of years to really get over that and today all good.
Good that it's still going ok mate
That infection must have been hell
Old 25-08-2024, 04:54 PM   #13
nearlythere
END WOKENESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIPO View Post
They went through the front with mine, taking a bone scraping from the hip, to put into the CF disc to help fuse quicker.
The front would be better for sure, I woke up from surgery apparently saying oh my backs all fixed! Meanwhile they are saying sorry it didn't work out
This user likes this post:
Old 25-08-2024, 04:57 PM   #14
nearlythere
END WOKENESS

Found some pics before surgery
These are from a few years ago
Old 25-08-2024, 04:59 PM   #15
nearlythere
END WOKENESS