Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 24-04-2012, 03:13 PM   #1
CSWTH1
Becossie

Default Mondeo trailer wiring

I was told that you need a new computer system installing in the boot before you can wire up a trailer connection. I have found the space for the unit to fit and the connections but I have also been informed that the dealer has to fit it, as it needs to be programmed. Anyone with any info to get around this extra cost and work?

CSWTH1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2012, 08:40 PM   #2
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Default Re: Mondeo trailer wiring

You might be able to get one out of Europe, so have a look at Talkford.com.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2012, 08:45 PM   #3
Tappa
Starter Motor

All the parameters need to be changed using IDS software along with programmable modual intalation needs to be done definitly a dealer job
Tappa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2012, 10:31 PM   #4
JimStone

I did a bit research on this one when I signed up for my Mondeo; Hayman Reese list an alternative to genuine, but as far as I could tell you may still need Ford to plug the IDS in and tell the car it now has a towbar.

Tow bar #02473 $332.55 list
Computer #04916 $161.20 list

http://www.haymanreese.com.au/mmysea...p?Change=Model

I ended up biting the bullet and fitted the $1k factory option because the local Hayman Reese agent could not fill in any details on the "universal ECU kit" listed and quoted a stupidly inflated price to install......
JimStone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2012, 01:05 AM   #5
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok I bite,what has a towbar to do with the ECU?

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2012, 09:30 AM   #6
b.e.l
Starter Motor

Maybe the rear parking sensors need to be told a towbar is fitted so they don't keep going off ?????
b.e.l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2012, 09:40 AM   #7
Tappa
Starter Motor

Its not necesarily the PCM the mondeos have around 20 moduals (reverse sensors being one of them). The need to be able to comunicate or things will go a bit crazy
Tappa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2012, 06:43 PM   #8
Mickmelb

There's a few things that interface with the trailer module. If you have a Titanium when you plug the trailer in it turns off the reverse sensors and the blind spot indicators. It also keeps checking to make sure there's no blown bulbs which is a pain if you have a trailer with LED lights because they will constantly flash really fast unless you install load resistors to it (not a good look driving all the way to Phillip Island with the bike trailer). You would have to be pretty careful trying to wire up a tow bar without the module it would be really easy to stuff up the canbus system if you just tried to piggy back the tail lights of the car like you would with an older vehicle.
Mickmelb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post