Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 14-07-2016, 08:36 PM   #1
64ORD
1964 Thunderbird

Default LS Focus Vibration.. Engine Mounts?

We have a 2006 LS we bought new. Has 115K now. Noticing a vibration at idle everything rattles inside.. I've read in the past about the engine mounts wearing out quickly on these cars. Has anyone changed them out? Is it an easy job or should I give it to my mechanic. Any idea of costs involved either way if you have dealt with this.

Thanks in advance
64ORD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2016, 10:16 AM   #2
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: LS Focus Vibration.. Engine Mounts?

I would also check that the car is not misfiring if you are on the original spark plugh leads could be time for a change.
I understand one of the engine mounts is a bit difficult to get at.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2016, 09:40 AM   #3
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

There are no spark plug leads on the LS. Coil on plug ignition.

But I otherwise agree with marg99, if you can rule out misfire, then inspecting the engine mounts are worth it. I can personally say that replacing the drivers side engine mount fixed a vibration problem on my LS. It had a crack in the rubber part section, which was clearly visible. It was a DIY job, just move a few things out of the way, eg. Coolant overflow tank, unclip an. AC line, etc. and then remove 4 bolts.

There is also a rear mount, which is only 2 bolts. And the passenger side mount is under the battery tray I believe.

The genuine OE mounts are quite expensive - approx $150 each from memory. Aftermarket mounts are the usual price $50-$80 each as a ballpark figure.

Try inspecting the mounts where possible for any perishing before you commit to replacing them.

In the following link, you can see the 3 mounts: steps 33. 38, 41: http://workshop-manuals.com/ford/foc...ssion_(4f27e)/
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2016, 02:57 PM   #4
tasdex

Easy jobs done quick ,,
Plenty of YouTube vids out there showing all three engine /gearbox mounts.
tasdex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2016, 05:18 PM   #5
64ORD
1964 Thunderbird

Thanks for the advice guys.. Definitely not a misfire just a vibration at idle particularly when cold.. Will crawl under car over weekend for a look. thanks
64ORD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post