Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > Ford Performance Vehicles Club of Tasmania > General Discussions

Old 28-05-2007, 01:02 PM   #1
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Default Drag Racing in Tasmainia

Just wondering guys, whats the scene like down there? Are there a couple of strips that allow street cars in like Calder and Heathcote?

Do you have meets and drag days with the club?

IIRC there are a couple around Launceston somewhere, not sure exactly where though.

• 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2007, 01:06 PM   #2
HSE2

Tarmac is the closest to Launceston (south just past Symmons plains) and they do allow street cars at most meetings as far as I know.

There have been no club functions of this sort as yet
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2007, 01:35 PM   #3
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
Tarmac is the closest to Launceston (south just past Symmons plains) and they do allow street cars at most meetings as far as I know.

There have been no club functions of this sort as yet
Well....there is a first for everything!

Perhaps I am getting ahead of myself, but a drag day/night is always good fun for all involved.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 28-05-2007, 03:09 PM   #4
TICK4D-TAS
Club Moderator

Club has looked at it a few times. But it costs $2500 to hire the track for 4hrs. And at this stage there is not enough members interested to get the event up and running, whilst keeping the costs at a realistic price.
2010 FPV F6 Ute
2016 FGX XR6 Sprint
2020 PX3 Ranger Wildtrak
TICK4D-TAS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2007, 07:19 PM   #5
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

So you cant just turn up and pay ~$50 and go for your life? You have to book it?
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 28-05-2007, 07:30 PM   #6
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
So you cant just turn up and pay ~$50 and go for your life? You have to book it?
Yes well it might not be $50 but you can as far as I know.

What Tim is talking about is a club run function in reply to your suggestion. As a club its a different set of conditions where the cost is prohibitive. As an example, for a club function there has to be an ambulance on standby usually St johns. At a promoted event that side of it is taken care of by the orgainsers. You simply turn up sign the indemity forms get you car passed by scruiteneers and dial yourself in. Not sure how many runs and what the cost might be.

I was wrong about the name. Its actually now called the Motors ACDelco Dragway. Season starts early Sep
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2007, 08:30 PM   #7
cortEA

Hi guys, the cost of a normal meet is $70, that includes day licence and scrutineering fees. I've ran my XR6 there 4 times now and the least amount of runs i've had is 6. And thats just in qualifying let alone the elimination passes. So as for organising a drag day that only lasts 4hrs and costs $2500 you'd need 50 cars min to make it viable and by the time those 50 cars have gone through twice ya 4hrs would be up. So anyone interested in racing just rock up at a normal meet and have a **** load of fun.

Cheers Corey

Missus car: 04 Subaru Impreza RS with fully sic cannon

Drag car: '76 TD Cortina, 4.0 AU motor, 4 spd single rail, 4 puck solid centre brass button clutch, 17" chromies, 600*300*76 FMIC, Garrett TB 4133 Turbo, BA XR6T inj's, Malpassi, Walbro etc etc...
cortEA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2007, 09:53 PM   #8
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

^^I agree, no need to book it. Just cruise up as a group and then go through.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 29-05-2007, 01:26 PM   #9
DayTE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We don't have the regular weekly or fortnightly meets that some of the mainland tracks have. I know WSID or the Creek used to have them nearly every Wednesday night (I think) for just off street racing. But being the small state we are we just don't have the population base to support it on a regular basis.
Old 29-05-2007, 07:05 PM   #10
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No point in trying to organize this. I've been there and failed at that.

I even tried getting the Tas Commo club on board!

In the end, there were about 20 people who were genuinly interested.
Not enough to cover a realistic cost.

I'm with Corey. Roll up to the regular meet and kick some Commo **** there.
FalconXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2007, 03:15 PM   #11
Shnorque
Starter Motor

Hi guys. Was reading this and felt the need to sign up and comment

I have been to a private booking at Tarmac before. And IMHO it is well worth the money if you can get aroud 40 people. I think, by the end of the day there had been about 60cars scruteneered (although a good portion of these were just people scuteneering their tow-car to see if it would do a decent burnout).

We had the trake from 1am till 4pm and by the end of the day I had done about 24 runs, only stopped because after 24 'brake on' burnouts, and braking from 170kmh all the time my brakes decided to stop working.

This was all for a cost of about ~60$. I havent been to a race night yet, but have went to a 'test and tune' day organised officially. I think that cost about half that of the private day, but in the end I only got 6 runs.

Im not sure why the commo club wouldnt get onboard. I'm pretty sure they had a private day at Tarmac back in January or Febuary.

Now, having said all that, if you ever organise a private day, and need extra members let me know (not that I drive a ford (although if I ever stopped driving a Nissan I would be straight into a BA)), as I am always ready for a chance to do some legal burnouts
Shnorque is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post