Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 16-06-2008, 02:35 AM   #1
BA-XT
2003 BA Falcon XT

Default Any other Night Shift Workers here??

Hey!!

It's 1:35 and I'm preparing for another stint of night shift work for this week (I'm a security guard) I live in Narre Warren, Vic and will be driving to Plenty Valley (that's about 64km away) to complete 2 9hr shifts, 1 12hr shift, and an 8hr shift at Ringwood.

Then next weekend, I'm back to day shifts at Frankston. I have Friday off to re-adjust.

Just wondering if anyone else here gets to have as much fun as I do trying to adjust to night / day work all the time!! Any tips would be great. I've read a little bit about continual night shift, and it apparently lifts up the chances of getting cancer, heart problems, gasto related disorders, and a 60% higher divorce rate!!

I actually don't mind night shifts. There is no traffic on the road, nobody trying to annoy you in shopping centres, no bosses.... it's really not too bad!!

IMPCO LPG Vapour Injection.

DETAILING
Meguiar's NXT Car Wash
Collonite #845 Insulator Wax
Bowden's Own Happy Ending & Fully Slick
Chemtech CT-18 Truck Wash (Wheels & Chassis)
Bowden's Own Wheely Clean & Tyre Sheen
Bowden's Own Three Way Paint Decontamination Spray

OILS AND FILTERS
Nulon Full Synthetic 10w-40
Nulon Long Life Coolant
Ryco Oil & Air Filters

My Instagram Account: @ba_falcon2003
BA-XT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2008, 03:13 AM   #2
WAR40T
EL GHIA LIFE

done rotating shift work for the last 5 yrs, did a full week of day,then night, then arvo. Its not that fun, 2 of my past relationships suffered (tired, angry) sorta got used to the hrs. Loved night shift for those exact reasons, no-one round, quiet, no bosses. Well anyway im off to work.....Truck driving...

HERITAGE GREEN EL GHIA, ROH MODENA WHEELS, /////ALPINE AUDIO, PEDDERS XA COILOVER'S
WAR40T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2008, 03:41 AM   #3
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

I'm on an rdo tonight, but I do permanent nightshift.
Jeeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2008, 05:05 AM   #4
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

When I finished uni I worked at Cadbury Schweppes on the factory floor - 6pm till 6 am six days a week. Lasted four months till I got a job in the field I studied in.
Was OK and great money all those years ago
Cant bring myself to drink Oasis though? Sick of it now.....

Last edited by gcg2503; 16-06-2008 at 05:06 AM. Reason: Typo
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2008, 05:17 AM   #5
JONESY_XR6
Done that,Got the t-shirt

Yes!! i work 4 12 hr days, have 4 off then do 4 nights at Olympic Dam mine Roxy Downs. Awsome money. Dont mind it at all.

Dont know if i could handle perminant nights though.

PB on g-tech: 15.28@154.9kmh

JONESY_XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2008, 06:33 AM   #6
Ladiesman217
I can count to potato!

I work 2 weeks rotating shifts. Love the weekends where I go from dayshift to nightshift cause I get a longer weekend out of it. All other weekends are just the norm. I hate the shifts but there is no other work here for me to do, thats why I wanna move to QLD.

Ladiesman217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2008, 07:34 AM   #7
Creampuff
149 rwkw of Style

I rotate from nights to afternoons to days every 2 weeks. I get 2 weekends off every 14 weeks! I have been doing this for 18 years, the nights are becoming harder to sleep, maybe because I am in my 40's? Have just had 2 nights off but, I am still up at 2am(watching dvds). It is hard with a family...enuff whinging ok!
Old 16-06-2008, 07:48 AM   #8
5L
[ 5L ]

i work either 9pm-5am for normal duties, or 10pm-6am when i am driving the forklift,

i work at australia post and we work sunday night to saturday morning. with a rotating rdo each week. this week i have tuesday and next week i have wednesday. so every 5 weeks we get friday saturday sunday off, i wish it was like this everyweek.

ive been on nightshift now for 3 years at auspost and done it a year before hand with other jobs. i can say now i am sick of nightshift and i would love to go to day shift (i have my name on the list now all i have to do is wait my turn) but nightshift does have its positives, there is no traffic on the road on the way and coming home, i get to do stuff during the day if i choose to. get paid more nightshift loading is why we do it basically.
[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
5L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2008, 10:43 AM   #9
Mark s
1.3 Litre Suzuki power

Yeah I am a shift working. I do 8 hour rotating shifts 7 - 3 , 3 - 11, & 11 - 7. I have been doing it for 8 years now and I don't think I could go back to doing mon - fri 9 to 5.

Sure weekend can be a pain but you can work your life around that + the extra money is great. I am on my last day off today and it is a nice quiet day on the roads and the wife is at work, so I am thinking a run up the putty might be on the cards.

My wife is still happy enough for me to do shift work. So no dramas here.

EF 4lt 1995 in Green on LPG. To and from work hack.

XY Fairmont 1971 in Bronze Wine, 302, Top Loader, 9" Still trying to find out if she is a GS or plain jane Monty.

Mustang 1966 coupe, Silver frost, A code, C4, factory bench seat, A/C, P/S rally pac, AM radio with 8 track. Awaiting funds for resto.

K6 Hayabusa....Dead Stock and why would one need to spend thousands on mods.................
Mark s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2008, 09:01 PM   #10
Director

I work a rotating shift and enjoy the nights, hate missing stuff (supercars/AFL/BBQ's etc on weekends. The wife is a shifty as well so we can sometimes go for a week not seeing each other but then sometimes we can have upto 5 days off together. Swings and round abouts I spose.

Ace Ventura

FG G6
XB K code Fairmont
Director is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2008, 09:37 PM   #11
Ralliart
2011 A New Fresh Start

i do night 38hrs per week Tuesday - Saturday, i can re -adjust, but my 1st day off on my weekend is reallly annoying to get some sleep some times,
Old 16-06-2008, 10:30 PM   #12
gtfpv
GT

shift worker for the last 17 years . i'm 39 now and it's getting harder . the insomnia sets in . doesnt quite work out with family life . but wouldnt know anything else .
i think it does take its toll. insomnia , cancer, mental problems and high divorce rates are among my colleugues, but isnt that among society in general ??
after doing this for so long . i'm not sure its the life to live. going to bed every night and having weekends off would be a real blessing , after doing shift for so long . it's one of those things where time ticks away. you cant get it back. dont want to look back regretting it . but for now it's all i do.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2008, 12:03 AM   #13
StAndArdAU
Back in a Blue Oval

i work a 12 hour alternating day and night shift roster that goes like this:

Monday Tuesday - nights
wednesday thursday - off
friday saturday sunday - Days
monday tuesday - off
wednesday thursday - Nights
Friday saturday sunday - Off-----> (sexy party time)
Repeat continuing the alternating pattern.

It can be hell missing every second weekend. not seeing mates for days on end, living a fairly solitude life. But the money is great. i've played 2 games of footy and round 7 is upon us. i'm grumpy as all hell. the missus is preggers. but its nice being out here all alone, looking out over the ocean smelling the sea breeze. As for increasing chances of geting cancer, last time i checked, everything we do increases our chance of getting cancer.

heard last week they want to change our roster to 6on 6 off, where we do 3days/3nights, 6 days off. wouldnt be too bad, take 6 days off and have a 18 day holiday. but my life would be nonexistent during the days on i reckon.
Old 17-06-2008, 10:50 AM   #14
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

12 Hour shifts, 2 Days, 2 Nights, 4 Off.
Get as much sleep as I can after the first night, and try to stay awake for the whole day after the second. That way I sleep well on the first night off and wake up refreshed to enjoy the last 3 days off!

I like it! :
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2008, 03:06 PM   #15
SeXC
Pushrodosaurus Rex

yep i too suffer the jousts of a night knight....

8 12 hour days on 6 days off, 8 12 hour nights on 6 off..... i dont mind the night shifts, just getting adjusted i hate!
SeXC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2008, 03:39 PM   #16
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have been on nights for 4 months straight so far.. another 3 months at least to go..

Don't mind it really, traffic is much nicer, work is quieter
Perana is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2008, 04:41 PM   #17
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

19 years of 3 weeks of nights, followed by one week of days luv it :
but as I drive trucks I allready sniff drugs, pop pills and have anger managment issues.... Well so says A Currant Affair and Co. so no ill affect on me :

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2008, 06:56 PM   #18
iCat
doof doof doof doof

i do 7 on 4 off rotating 10hr shifts. love avos and nights, hate dayshift. one thing i never fret about is how much sleep i do or don't get. i believe my body will control what is or isn't enough. if it needs more it will make me have more. got to admit though, it's getting harder to get out of nightshift mode as the years go on.

don't you love coming home from nightshift on a monday morning watching all those poor people driving to work! and i'm going home to bed lol! :
iCat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2008, 09:41 PM   #19
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

2d,2n,2off 2d,2n,6off ,and dont wanna do any of the other silly rosters around,was on a 4d-4off-4n-4off , and found if you get 1 bad day you dont seem to catch it up but the way we are i only have to battle 1 night if the 1 day slleep is not so good .and i can have a sleep at work if nessesary,its like permanent holiday every ten i basically have a week off ,but when we work we work i guess 12 half hour days .though im not 1 to suffer any fatigue issues i know what it is like for some.
Old 18-06-2008, 11:39 PM   #20
ieatsports_cars
proud member of the MFCC

yep i get called in at all hours of the night to come and work because iam casual
ieatsports_cars is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post