Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 09:22 PM   #271
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 
Default Re: Toyota 86 price $29,990!

As if anything Toyota Australia want in this car will matter one iota in the major scheme of things. We are a big market for Hilux/Cruiser, so they will tailor that for us, but other than them nothing Toyota Australia would ask for in any other model would be even considered by lower middle management let alone at the level that actual decisions are made.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:33 PM   #272
IceValk85
MY2010 SV6 SIDI -Black-

hahahaah shonkymofo, hes a good mate of mine, and his attempts were on hard as rock toyo street tyres. but still, 15.5 with .8 reactions was the best he could do (even with the rear tray open lol)

if you managed 14.1ish lets face it, thats 1.6 seconds faster than the ft86, and you have twice the displacement with the BOSS and shatloads more torque lol.

Ice
Old 07-06-2012, 09:35 PM   #273
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
As if anything Toyota Australia want in this car will matter one iota in the major scheme of things. We are a big market for Hilux/Cruiser, so they will tailor that for us, but other than them nothing Toyota Australia would ask for in any other model would be even considered by lower middle management let alone at the level that actual decisions are made.
I'd wager they sell far more Corollas, Camrys, and Aurions than they do Hiluxes and Cruisers...
The '86 is a completely new type of car for them...or at least a re-jigging of something they left behind long ago. You can't compare it to anything in their range now, so they probably don't know what to expect of it.
As underpowered and torqueless as the later Celicas were, as well as the AE86, they sold in huge numbers.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:38 PM   #274
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

But Aussie sales of those models are virtually inconsequential in global terms and thus what Aussies want HQ couldn't care less. While in global terms we are an important player in Hilux/Cruiser. Maybe I didn't make that point clear enough. As in globally Aussie sales of the 86 will be minute compared to other much larger markets, thus our opinion doesn't really matter much.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:48 PM   #275
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the curse of living in a small market........sigh
Old 07-06-2012, 10:14 PM   #276
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta_Man69
Yes mike, the Focus RS is real rubbish hey? Lol
Like I said, I don't care if it's the holy grail of motoring, I dont like or want FWD, simple as that.

As DJM83 mentioned earlier, No matter how good auto boxes are these days, he likes manual.

Seems like some people can't grasp the concept that others prefer a different drive type or transmission than they do.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:34 PM   #277
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
But Aussie sales of those models are virtually inconsequential in global terms and thus what Aussies want HQ couldn't care less. While in global terms we are an important player in Hilux/Cruiser. Maybe I didn't make that point clear enough. As in globally Aussie sales of the 86 will be minute compared to other much larger markets, thus our opinion doesn't really matter much.
There's a degree of truth in this which can be seen in the evidence of Hilux getting upgrades for 5 star ancap rating to suit our mining buyers.

But what would Australia want? They will sell each and every one of these cars for the first 2 years easily - and that number isn't as big as you'd think - about 4000 odd in the first two years.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:35 PM   #278
Poetic Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx
Like I said, I don't care if it's the holy grail of motoring, I dont like or want FWD, simple as that.

As DJM83 mentioned earlier, No matter how good auto boxes are these days, he likes manual.

Seems like some people can't grasp the concept that others prefer a different drive type or transmission than they do.
In all seriousness though, have you driven an RS Focus? I haven't. I've driven an XR5 Turbo and let me tell you, it's easy to be converted once you actually experience something.

And if you have.. well, you're just a killjoy and can't appreciate the good things in life.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:38 PM   #279
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah, Toyota have got it right with the 86 (just not for what I would like)

And as per above they make big money on Hilux/Cruiser and nothing on Corolla, Camry base etc
Old 07-06-2012, 10:44 PM   #280
mcnews
Trev

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUD
In all seriousness though, have you driven an RS Focus? I haven't. I've driven an XR5 Turbo and let me tell you, it's easy to be converted once you actually experience something.

And if you have.. well, you're just a killjoy and can't appreciate the good things in life.
XR5T is quite impressive for a front driver, heaps of room in the front, feels wider than a Falcon inside and much smarter design wise. Sounds damn good when you are up it too. I would have purchased one if it drove from the right end.

Likewise Focus RS, although I haven't had the pleasure of driving one, they look pretty horn and tasty inside. Althoug the orange peel effect on the paint on the ones I have seen makes Aussie finished Fords look good, was diabolical paint finish. They must have sent their seconds down under... Still I might have bought one of those, if they were RWD :-)
Old 07-06-2012, 10:54 PM   #281
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like to see it as a cheap way to get a good foundation to start with. You save on initial cost and get a decent performing car.

As you get more money and more experience you can add more. I'm pretty sure the aftermarket will be massive for this car.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:05 PM   #282
Bossxr8
Peter Car

What an absolute cop out, basically saying we made the car nowhere near as good as it can be, but we'll leave it up to the owners to fix it.

And thats supposed to be a positive.

Maybe Ford should start using this philosphy to explain why equipment levels in Falcon aren't as high as they could be. Its up to the owners to fix it.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:10 PM   #283
Poetic Justice

Uh what?

You put the things in it you want and you price it 10+k dearer.

They always wanted a project car type feel to it. How do you not understand that?
Old 07-06-2012, 11:25 PM   #284
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceValk85
hahahaah shonkymofo, hes a good mate of mine, and his attempts were on hard as rock toyo street tyres. but still, 15.5 with .8 reactions was the best he could do (even with the rear tray open lol)

if you managed 14.1ish lets face it, thats 1.6 seconds faster than the ft86, and you have twice the displacement with the BOSS and shatloads more torque lol.

Ice
Reaction time does not affect ET.

I know, it's a big donk, I wouldn't compare it to the 2.0

But you did. And not fairly. Ricer behaviour. Don't do it
Old 07-06-2012, 11:27 PM   #285
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
What an absolute cop out, basically saying we made the car nowhere near as good as it can be, but we'll leave it up to the owners to fix it.

Maybe Ford should start using this philosphy to explain why equipment levels in Falcon aren't as high as they could be. Its up to the owners to fix it.
They have focused on handling and a big part of that is in the chassis something that is harder to make better after the fact where as extra power will be relatively easy. It's a compromise in a $30k car.

Coilovers and whatever misc suspension components only achieve so much but in this case will make it even better.

Lol no shortage of complaints on this forum about the Falcon and it's shortcomings either.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:35 PM   #286
69Mach1

Actually it's great there seems to be lots of folk that don't get the 86/BRZ, why try to spell it out for them; if nothing else it's a bunch less customers in the queue to buy one.....
Old 07-06-2012, 11:38 PM   #287
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8

Do you really think Subaru and Toyota would deliberately release an engine in this that didnt atleast meet some kind of bench mark. Once going according to all media reports it can keep a Cayman honest..for $30k!
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 07-06-2012, 11:50 PM   #288
Poetic Justice

I think Lexus LFA would tell you that Toyota know how to produce a good performance vehicle, 86 was not going down that path.

Let's see if the Supra now gets revived. I bet it will.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:56 PM   #289
Chopped
as in chopped

And here is one that has been "upgraded" with a V8 from the IS F (Lexus).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUPCwolLrsY
(sounds nice!)

Old 08-06-2012, 07:57 AM   #290
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:

Was the same with me, anti FWD until i drove and owned one.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
Old 08-06-2012, 10:03 AM   #291
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The TOP TEN reasons why the Toyota FT86 is being maligned on AFF

10) It is not a Ford so peer pressure and xenophobia override logic and reasoning.

9) It is a lightweight RWD 4 seat coupe at an affordable price which is exactly what many have cried out for over the last ten years but it comes from the same company as the Camry which is therefore not compatable with tribal prejudices.

8) It is a Toyota and will probably have fairly high resale value so will take a lot longer to be on ebay.

7) It can't carry a family of 5 with luggage for a 6 week holiday despite you being single and spending your holidays at your home because it is free and mum makes your meals wand washes your clothes.

6) It can't tow a caravan, boat or horse float despite you not actually owning a caravan, boat or horse float.

5) It does not have stripes or decals.

4) It does not run on LPG.

3) It has GT in the name and is just resting the former glory of its predecessor to gain credibility.......oh wait a minite.....

2) There will not be any available in 12 months at half price from the government auctions.

And the NUMBER ONE reason why the Toyota FT86 is being maligned on AFF

1) Even at mid 14s it is STILL quicker than your car over the quarter mile.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:13 AM   #292
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Do you really think Subaru and Toyota would deliberately release an engine in this that didnt atleast meet some kind of bench mark. Once going according to all media reports it can keep a Cayman honest..for $30k!
"All" media reports? I think not. Only according to Wheels...
I wouldn't waste 10c on the mag let alone time reading it anymore...
Old 08-06-2012, 10:17 AM   #293
Tribal
OCD keeps me busy...

I wonder what people would be saying if the FT86 wore a ford badge and was powered by an ecoboost engine...
Old 08-06-2012, 10:17 AM   #294
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
"All" media reports? I think not. Only according to Wheels...
I wouldn't waste 10c on the mag let alone time reading it anymore...
It is true I was stuck at the airport and had nothing better to read, but still, the point is a $30k toyota keeps a $100k+ Porsche within its sights.

So is the Porsche over three times better with its driving dynamics?

People here love to compare FPV power outputs to that of the really good Euro's (AMG, M et al), bang on about how they are good value for money with regards to performance but cant transmit the same theory to this car....
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 08-06-2012, 10:21 AM   #295
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

According to EVO an MX5 flogs it, let alone a Megane, Focus ST, Gti etc. let alone a Cayman. That said EVO (and every other mag but Wheels) thought the Honda hybrid was average at best: it got Wheels COTY...
Old 08-06-2012, 10:25 AM   #296
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribal
I wonder what people would be saying if the FT86 wore a ford badge and was powered by an ecoboost engine...
Badge doesn't matter.

But if it had the Falcons EB it would be a much better car: the EB would solve the power but especially the torque deficeit problems: 180kW and torque would be awesome, a modern S15 even..
Old 08-06-2012, 10:29 AM   #297
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
According to EVO an MX5 flogs it, let alone a Megane, Focus ST, Gti etc. let alone a Cayman. That said EVO (and every other mag but Wheels) thought the Honda hybrid was average at best: it got Wheels COTY...
Ok I cant take this anymore, which part of this car is not in the same league as a hot hatch dont you understand? You wouldnt compare the beloved S15 with them would you.

The Honda is a good car and won CAR of the year, not performance car of the year. OT anyway.

It seems you think you know more than Subaru, Toyota and who was that other manufacturer...

http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11331515

Oh and Ford. Im done.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 08-06-2012, 10:38 AM   #298
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Quote:
Ok I cant take this anymore, which part of this car is not in the same league as a hot hatch dont you understand? You wouldnt compare the beloved S15 with them would you.

The Honda is a good car and won CAR of the year, not performance car of the year. OT anyway.

It seems you think you know more than Subaru, Toyota and who was that other manufacturer...

http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11331515

Oh and Ford. Im done.
I didn't realise the MX5 was a hot hatch.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:48 AM   #299
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
The TOP TEN reasons why the Toyota FT86 is being maligned on AFF

10) It is not a Ford so peer pressure and xenophobia override logic and reasoning.

9) It is a lightweight RWD 4 seat coupe at an affordable price which is exactly what many have cried out for over the last ten years but it comes from the same company as the Camry which is therefore not compatable with tribal prejudices.

8) It is a Toyota and will probably have fairly high resale value so will take a lot longer to be on ebay.

7) It can't carry a family of 5 with luggage for a 6 week holiday despite you being single and spending your holidays at your home because it is free and mum makes your meals wand washes your clothes.

6) It can't tow a caravan, boat or horse float despite you not actually owning a caravan, boat or horse float.

5) It does not have stripes or decals.

4) It does not run on LPG.

3) It has GT in the name and is just resting the former glory of its predecessor to gain credibility.......oh wait a minite.....

2) There will not be any available in 12 months at half price from the government auctions.

And the NUMBER ONE reason why the Toyota FT86 is being maligned on AFF

1) Even at mid 14s it is STILL quicker than your car over the quarter mile.
I just get sick of reading ridiculous claims about it.

86 looks set to be a good car, but seriously stuff like this

Quote:
Once going according to all media reports it can keep a Cayman honest..for $30k!
Ok, the GT335 is almost as good as the E63

Do you now feel compelled to jump in and tell me to get my hand off it?

rightfully so too
Old 08-06-2012, 10:53 AM   #300
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Quote:
Let's see if the Supra now gets revived. I bet it will.
I certainly hope so. The dynamics of this thing, with an inline six under the bonnet? I'm getting excited just thinking about the possibility.
Closed Thread