Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 30-11-2006, 10:01 PM   #1
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 
Default Robbed online!!

I know its been said before.Today I got a call from my bank informing me that I had an unusual transaction to Germany of 1300 dollars odd.I run 2 firewalls,I use spybot search and destroy.I use adaware and avg antivirus. FFS guys be careful with the internet.Someone has put some type of keylogger on this system and they still got around. I am suspending all internet transactions from now on.It will be inconveneient but gee I am lucky that the bank got onto it in 1 hour flat!! I am suspecting some bogus spam emails emails that I have been receiving.I am with optus.My brother with telstra never gets spam...Anyway just beware.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 10:41 PM   #2
Rob
Living the dream

Ad-aware is a good product. Be careful using search engines looking for this software. There is a product called Ada-ware, website looks almost identical to the lavasoft product..... go figure.

I hate internet banking, but its sooo convenient.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 10:49 PM   #3
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Credit Card transaction mate?
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 11:48 PM   #4
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

They got $9850 bucks of me through internet banking once. It was before the random key generators came out. I got it back but from the bank because I had all the security and correct type of passwords etc. It puts a sick feeling in ya gut for a while.
And I have had Ad-aware for a long time too. Smart pricks out there, just a shame there crooks

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Awsome power by XTREME FORD TUNING 500rwkw New ALLOY Block

Awesome exhaust by THE EXHAUST CENTRE MIDLAND

Awesome Kenne Bell Supercharger setup by AGRO! and Bluepower Racing Developments

Now with full DOT approval and Permitted for road use
superpursuit83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2006, 12:19 AM   #5
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Guy at work lost 4 grand to one of those fraud money laundering scams. That is the money was transfered out of his account leagally by another account holder who though he was doing a job for somebody else etc.
We still have problems at work even with all the supposed wizz bang top draw security software. Scary stuff.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2006, 12:21 AM   #6
AU1FORME
Son of Wolverine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLC
Ad-aware is a good product. Be careful using search engines looking for this software. There is a product called Ada-ware, website looks almost identical to the lavasoft product..... go figure.

I hate internet banking, but its sooo convenient.

Ad-aware is a program that searches out programs used for delivering Internet Advertising to you without you wanting it.

if you are concerned about keyloggers and such SPYWARE programs is what you should be looking at.

What you should remember is - MOst credit card details stolen are not stolen off the internet but instead are just used on the internet.

doing a normal credit card tranaction in a store is just as unsafe as using it on the internet, do you remember the little yellow reciept they give you after all transaction, you know the one that most people throw in the bin or keep for 12 months and then throw away in the bin.

this little piece of paper has everything you need on it to make a fraudeulent transcation "yes this is correct".

Most stolen credit card numbers are NOT obtained from the interent they are sold and used on the internet but not obtained.

something to think about next time you pay for a dinner using a credit card.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:28 AM   #7
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU1FORME
doing a normal credit card tranaction in a store is just as unsafe as using it on the internet, do you remember the little yellow reciept they give you after all transaction, you know the one that most people throw in the bin or keep for 12 months and then throw away in the bin.

this little piece of paper has everything you need on it to make a fraudeulent transcation "yes this is correct".
I don't quite agree with you on that one. Unless the merchant has old technologies ( highly doubtful) than those reciepts that you and the retailer keep only contain approx. 8 digits or so of your credit card number. The rest are hidden by an "*". If you have shopped somewhere and your reciept has your full card details, then report it to the merchant's eftpos bank. But then there is also the expiry date also, that is not on the reciept either!
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2006, 12:28 AM   #8
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU1FORME
Ad-aware is a program that searches out programs used for delivering Internet Advertising to you without you wanting it.

if you are concerned about keyloggers and such SPYWARE programs is what you should be looking at.

What you should remember is - MOst credit card details stolen are not stolen off the internet but instead are just used on the internet.

Most stolen credit card numbers are NOT obtained from the interent they are sold and used on the internet but not obtained.

something to think about next time you pay for a dinner using a credit card.
this is a huge problem in Indonesia and Bali, but any shop can do this by just redoing last transaction 10 or twenty times after you leave the shop as the eftpos machine has the details needed in it after you leave the shop.
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2006, 12:33 AM   #9
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

I dont do internet credit card transactions.I just downloaded spy doctor demo.It found the problem

2 trojans

beware

traffloads
and
pws Tanspy

PWS Tanspy is the keylogger.

adaware ,spybot ,norton antivirus ,avg antivirus all failed to find any trace of either of these.

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Old 01-12-2006, 12:54 AM   #10
Stav
Smile

http://www.noadware.net/research/ind...jan.PWS.Tanspy

here is a description of the culprit

Old 01-12-2006, 12:56 AM   #11
Stav
Smile

Holy crap I just downloaded no adaware 5.0 free and my computer is a biohazard!!!More stuyff found!!

http://www.noadware.net/download/index.htm

try this program at your own risk guys.But its just found a crapload of stuff on my pc

Old 01-12-2006, 01:02 AM   #12
Ruger
Bseries Moderator

Yer its nasty i only really use paypal on the net there are shops out there where your giving your card number to some random secretary and who knows maybe theres a prada bag or something she likes on the internet and could jot down your details and use them. im always cautious and never like handing out details especially to any "person" and not a computer database. computer databases do get hacked but the temptation of that person using it might have a higher propability

Only those that attempt the absurd achieve the impossible.

Serviced and maintained by Mascot Auto Repairs
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2006, 01:04 AM   #13
rodderz

It's certainly something to be vary wary of.

This year I've started my own business and it's starting to find it's feet having more $$ coming through the door and I regularly use netbank, getting to the bank these days is too much of an incovenience, especially now that staff levels have been reduced because of netbank being used.

I regularly get spam and virus loaded emails (mostly netsky) but norton gets them all, now that I've just updated my company website all the email bot thingies have now gotten wind of my company email address... so get double the spam now!
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2006, 01:08 AM   #14
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the heads up! I do quite a bit of online shopping and stuff like this scares me! Will certainly be updating those definitions.
Old 01-12-2006, 01:10 AM   #15
Stav
Smile

My up to date norton didnt find this stuff.So it is good to know.

Old 01-12-2006, 01:11 AM   #16
njla

i recently d/loaded a program called spyware doctor, scans for programs that hijack your credit details and waste your internet bandwidth. 43,000 infections, outrageous! its a brand new computer too. deffinatly need to be careful with the credit detials
njla is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2006, 01:13 AM   #17
ON_DUBS
[ON DUBS]

I've just downloaded and scanned my computer using "noadware" that useless posted.
I updated it to the latest version and I found "PC Agent Keylogger" which is described as a keylogging program that can also take screenshots of opened windows!

I use internet banking at home often and I also thought i was safe with anti-spyware and anti-virus software i had installed.
i will go to the bank first thing tomorrow morning and change my passwords then i wont be using home banking anymore.
Old 01-12-2006, 01:48 AM   #18
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I just downloaded NoAdware - I hope it's not a virus!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2006, 01:59 AM   #19
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A guy who i went to school with used to pay waitresses $50 per credit card number they could give him. He'd then use the numbers to buy stuff online.

I never pay for meals with card now unless i can see the transaction take place. No more putting the card in the folder and letting someone be alone with it for 5 minutes. Think of how many times some people whip their card out in a week, and how hard it would be for them to track down and prove how their number was leaked and used!
schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2006, 02:11 AM   #20
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

You know what, i think, just to be safe, we should all hide all our money in a box under our beds.

FPV & XR Owners Club of Qld
Want more info on our club?
fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!
GCFordChic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2006, 02:11 AM   #21
Stav
Smile

Well because the programs are trial I had to remove the keys manually.I have just finished and I am finished... It tokk a while but no trojans are seen by several different programs...I think this was worth it.I may get a removable hardrive exclusively for net banking and nothing else.This way its alot cleaner.

Pyware doctor was good but no adaware picked up more than that program.

Old 01-12-2006, 02:14 AM   #22
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
Pyware doctor was good but no adaware picked up more than that program.

is the noadaware program trusted and safe?

fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!
Old 01-12-2006, 02:15 AM   #23
Stav
Smile

Who knows?Maybe theyve emptied all my cash by now? Im getting spywareprograms to check that the other programs are ok.

Old 01-12-2006, 02:26 AM   #24
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCFordChic
is the noadaware program trusted and safe?
I've been using it for around 6 months and all's good.

There was a very good review about it a little before I started using it.

Safe as...

edit: found the review:
http://www.identitytheftspy.com/2006...renet_rev.html
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2006, 02:33 AM   #25
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Credit card companies know how easy it is to steal from them, hence why you can only be charged no more than $50 for unathorised transactions.
Id rather have $5000 stolen from my credit card than my bank account, because you cant retrieve the stolen money from the latter.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2006, 02:39 AM   #26
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

Just downloaded Noadaware and i am not happy with what i am seeing as it is scanning. I have Trend-Micro, Avast and Adaware...yet 17 things, (6 'severe' and 'dangerous') have been found so far.

Will i have to buy it to remove them or something? I dont imagine it would be free...

fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!
Old 01-12-2006, 02:51 AM   #27
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Quote:
Will i have to buy it to remove them or something? I dont imagine it would be free...
Usually this sort of stuff is free for a period of time or a number of uses of the product.

If you don't know how to get around it you're better off just paying the money for the peace of mind.
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2006, 05:15 AM   #28
Kommandant
ED4LYFE

Heh well considering Noadware just tried to update and edit half of my other software, (firefox, MSN, also tried to over-right the Windows firewall.

I then scanned with Spybot and found 68 spyware applications that were all resulting in the recent installation.

I would advise people AGAINST downloading and using this program.

Use Comodo firewall (best free firewall on the planet, easy to use as well) also download SpyBot Search and Destroy, as well as Ad-Aware and you should be fine.

The number #1 rule when it comes to your Internet security is, if you don't know what it is, don't allow/accept it.

*edit, hmm, seems a lot of reviews think its a good program.

I dunno, with my experiences just then I know i'm not re-installing it, anything that tries to automatically edit other files on my pc seems fishy.
Old 01-12-2006, 05:43 AM   #29
AEF_Silver94
Falcon obsessed

you used 2 firewalls, using 2 firewalls is bad,they can cancel eachother out, use zone alarm only, its never been sucessfully hacked through, plus the program makes u invisible on the internet.
it was most likely the keylogger,all the passwords u typed etc get emailed to the ppl who installed the keylogger on your comp, damn hackers these days -_-

Quote:
I have Trend-Micro, Avast
trend micro antivirus? and Avast Home Edition Antivirus?

u know using 2 Antivirus programs can crash your comp,in some cases forcing u to format the computer,it will cause serious problems,just like using 2 firewalls will cause. Avast Antivirus ,i been using it for 2 years now, i never had no viruses,spyware nothing, Avast + Zone alarm = Top Grade Security.
AEF_Silver94 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2006, 06:32 AM   #30
Kommandant
ED4LYFE

I dont use Windows firewall, it had software embedded to close that particular firewall though

Also my system had no spyware/virus/trojans etc before I installed as I scanned before hand and after I had installed it.

You can use as many Anti-Virus programs as you'd like, although I agree using more then one firewall at any time for your average user generally spells trouble, considering each program has its own list of permissions/exceptions/denied and when a user wants to use something in particular, another program might not causing a conflict between them and crashing your PC.