Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 27-05-2016, 12:27 AM   #2791
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking Re: New to cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT View Post
What size tyre are you running. My conti GP4000 25mm only just clear. Tyres should be round, is it seated properly?
I have been a big fan of the 23' . However , we are seeing more and more 25' . So I thought I would see what they are like and purchased a pair of Michelin Pro Competition Power for the Zipp 404's . I do like the look of the bigger balloon on the carbon rims . They look to be better fit than the 23' - well they should as I do believe the 25' were born because of Zipp wider rim section .
Batmobile is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2016, 02:07 AM   #2792
prydey
Rob

Default Re: New to cycling

I've been on 25's for over a year and won't go back to 23's. They are worth it for comfort alone. Also, if ran at the same pressure, the contact patch is more lateral instead of longer which in theory is less resistance in the direction of travel.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-05-2016, 09:02 AM   #2793
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking Re: New to cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
I've been on 25's for over a year and won't go back to 23's. They are worth it for comfort alone. Also, if ran at the same pressure, the contact patch is more lateral instead of longer which in theory is less resistance in the direction of travel.
I guess is a natural progression given where i started.?. I remember clearly the hurdle moving from tubular to clinchers and from a road tyre which could hold almost double the psi to todays 23' running 110psi
So i guess the 25' will be the start of the next chapter. I report back after doing a few k's
Batmobile is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2016, 10:57 AM   #2794
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I'll be looking at going to 25's when my 23's are ready for replacing.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2016, 09:31 AM   #2795
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

I am sitting on the fence in the whole 23 vs 25 thing. I used to run 23's on my 2003 model Campagnolo Eurus and swapped to 25's, both sizes were Conti GP 4000. The first thing I noticed about the 25's is they are much harder to mount on the rim and impossible to take off without tyre levers. I had to buy some tyre levers as I never had this issue with the 23's, I could change a tube without tools. The comfort was better and the grip may have improved but it is difficult to tell as the 23's had good grip anyway. As to the 25's being faster I am not so sure. I have read an article that suggests when mounted on a narrow rim such as my Eurus the wider tyre bulging from the rim creates aerodynamic drag that negates any advantage in contact patch shape and can be slower in some instances. I tend to agree with this in that I suspect the 25's are actually slower in feel than the 23's on my setup. The article did state on a wider rim better matched to the width of the tyre this is not the case and the 25 may be faster. A big point the article made is there is no single tyre size that is the best and it depends on the wheel it is fitted to and the circumstances in which it is used.

I then bought my Ksyrium SLS wheels which still have quite a narrow rim, probably the same width as the Eurus. I ran them for a while with the Mavic Yksiom 23mm tyres that came with the wheels and they felt much faster than my Eurus wheels with 25mm Conti GP 4000. They certainly felt much quicker on climbs but how much of that was due to tyre width and how much was reduced wheel weight? I put the 25mm tyres on and they were a complete bastard to fit, so tight I almost dislocated my thumbs. They also immediately felt slower than the 23 mm Yksiom's both on flat roads and on the climbs. They were however more comfortable and less fatiguing on course road surfaces.

So now I have the Eurus wheels set up with the 25mm Conti GP 4000 and I use these wheels on country back roads where comfort is an issue. I have the Mavics set up with the 23mm Yksiom for when I am hitting the climbs. I am considering trying the Eurus wheels with the Yksiom tyres on the group rides where we often have fast pace lines and sprints, time when aero is important. I have noticed that the Eurus wheels seem faster on flat roads in fast pace lines which I suspect is due to fewer spokes and a much smaller spoke cross section leading to improved aero. the Ksyriums seem to climb better than the Eurus which I believe is a result of the greatly decreased wheel weight.

The issue with my experience is my direct comparison is comparing two totally different tyres so not comparing apples with apples. I am going to buy Conti GP 4000 in 23mm next so I can do a direct comparison against the 25mm in the same tyre brand. I will be interested in what the result is. I suspect the result will be the Eurus with 23mm will be best for smooth flat roads at high speeds when aero is important. The Ksyriums with 23's will be better when things starting going verticle and decreased weight is a factor. The 25's will have their place when I am on course road surfaces and comfort becomes more important. I will let you all know how the experiment goes.

To really complete the experiment I would have to get my hands on a set of deep section wheels with a wider rim cross section such as a set of Bontragers or Zipps and see how fast they are when fitted with 23 and 25mm tyres. Unfortunately I don't have any and I am sure the Mrs's will be annoyed if I spend a couple of grand on another set of wheels for the purpose of an experiment.
Old 28-05-2016, 10:01 AM   #2796
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

My Cannondale came with 28s on its Vision 40 rims, and a few of the guys I ride with have switched up to 28s too. Nice smooth ride that's for sure. Have had no problems getting them on and off the rims. Nothing flat around my way or anywhere we ride (over 50,000 metres already this year). But we are not racing, we just ride for fitness etc. although we don't mess around, it is nice to not get the bones rattled on the big rides.
My bike is like the one featured here - http://www.cyclist.co.uk/cannondale/...-hi-mod-review
Old 28-05-2016, 10:33 AM   #2797
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
My Cannondale came with 28s on its Vision 40 rims, and a few of the guys I ride with have switched up to 28s too. Nice smooth ride that's for sure. Have had no problems getting them on and off the rims. Nothing flat around my way or anywhere we ride (over 50,000 metres already this year). But we are not racing, we just ride for fitness etc. although we don't mess around, it is nice to not get the bones rattled on the big rides.
My bike is like the one featured here - http://www.cyclist.co.uk/cannondale/...-hi-mod-review
Those wheels look to have quite a wide rim width so I wonder if that has a lot to do with improved aero and also the ease of fitment? I would not be able to contemplate going 28mm, my 25mm barely fit under my Campag Record calipers as it is.

Bloody nice bike!
Old 31-05-2016, 12:43 AM   #2798
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

As I say on my Strava profile, I know nothing about bicycles I just push the pedals and look at the pretty scenery... Last weekend I took my Giant Defy Advanced 0 to Adelaide (now I just unpacked it in Perth as I am in WA this week), and I hadn't really ridden it since getting the Black Inc on 28s and the Defy 0 is running 25s and is renowned as a comfortable compliant bike but man it felt like a torture rack after getting used to the Cannondale on 28s, I kid you knot. I did a couple of 40km (all I had time for) runs from Mallala to Two Wells and back between Superbike races on Saturday and Sunday and man the first day I did it I could not believe how rough the ride felt compared to my new bike. And like I say that's a bike renowned as being comfortable and running 25s..... My Synapse on 28s is a magic carpet ride in comparison, and a tad quicker, but I put that down to the rims, as the Giant is just on the SLR up-spec Giant rims while the Cannondale is on those super sexy Vision 40s. Of course not many trick rims available yet for disc brake bikes so I think the Visions were some of the first, even Enve I think still only have one model of rim for disc brake bikes, give it 12 months and you will be hard pressed to find trick rims for non disc brake bikes most likely. The discs work real well and are only going to get better. Wasn't game to take my new Cannondale on the plane trips so probably keep the Giant for the cargo holds...

For the record the Giant is Ultegra Di2 with mech brakes while the Cannondale is Dura-Ace Di2 and discs.

Last edited by mcnews; 31-05-2016 at 12:50 AM.
mcnews is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 31-05-2016, 09:49 AM   #2799
prydey
Rob

welcome to SA roads not much will feel smooth over here....

nothing against the Giant, as they are good bikes, but don't underestimate Cannondale frames. by most reports, their frame building skills are still right up the top. obviously most frames now are made in cheap labour countries (and possibly in the same factory) but Cannondale have always had pretty compliant frames.
Old 31-05-2016, 12:50 PM   #2800
sunnycoast_fg
FG Nitro XR6

Picked up the new rig

Giant Anthem SX

Previous Rides
FG Nitro XR6 Ute 6 Speed Manual
03 BA Fairmont Ghia
MY00 WRX
92 EB S Wagon
04 Yamaha R6
1998 VT Manta
1994 VR Clubsport
1977 Mini S

Last edited by sunnycoast_fg; 31-05-2016 at 12:55 PM.
sunnycoast_fg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 31-05-2016, 09:48 PM   #2801
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
Of course not many trick rims available yet for disc brake bikes so I think the Visions were some of the first, even Enve I think still only have one model of rim for disc brake bikes, give it 12 months and you will be hard pressed to find trick rims for non disc brake bikes most likely.
Not so sure about that, there will always be a good offering of rim brake wheels until the UCI allows the use of disc brakes without limitation and the teams take them up. Rightly or wrongly there is considerable resistance to disc brakes on road bikes and I think their domination of the road bike scene is still a considerable distance in the future.

Yes the 28's will have a considerable improvement in comfort but as Rob said I think you will find the frame has some input into that as well. As for the speed of the bike that will be a combination of the frame, groupset and wheels as well as any potential improvement from the tyres. How wide are the rims, do the 28's bulge from the rim much?
Old 01-06-2016, 01:45 AM   #2802
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnycoast_fg View Post
Picked up the new rig

Giant Anthem SX

Nice bike mate, i would love to have a run on a rear suspension model like yours and compare it to my 29 er hard tail , one of the things i really love about the mountain bikes is the fatter tyres and better ride, and better ability to go over pot holes and rough stuff without rooting the wheels or the rest of the bike ...( or me ) .
enjoy your new cruiser .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2016, 02:01 AM   #2803
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnycoast_fg View Post
Picked up the new rig

Giant Anthem SX

Good to see some more mtb on here rather than the road bike love in.

Kidding guys. I havnt been out on mine much hoping to this weekend but it's way too cold for me
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-06-2016, 05:36 PM   #2804
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Speaking of weather and that very wintery coolness upon us(especially in southern states) , it did occur to me yesterday , i was just wondering what everyone's temperature cut off point is to head out on the bike .

I truly dont handle cold well , but at the same time im pretty determined in my mid life crisis/get fit/lose weight quest to continue with daily ride , from memory it was about 13 c when i rugged up with padded shorts and tracky daks , 2 t shirts, one shirt , and one cardy a beanie under my helmet and did my shorter than usual ride of a tad over 16 k`s yesterday, and apparently it was pleasant but cool 15 degrees today .

i was probably doing a about 20/25 ks or a tad over a day on during the warmer weather , i have resigned myself to cut my runs a bit shorter during winter about 15 k`s and maybe do a few more sit ups on days when the weather is too bad..... i dont ride in the rain if i can help it, and i think 10 degrees will be my cut off point.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:43 PM   #2805
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I hate going out in the cold. The hardest part for me is getting out of bed, getting ready and getting on the bike. For the first 2-5km Im questioning wtf Im doing, then after that Im chuffed because riding is awesome and Im warmed up by that time.

As for my limit, its about 5deg. Anything colder and I question my sanity and manliness.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
3 users like this post:
Old 01-06-2016, 07:54 PM   #2806
prydey
Rob

No cut off point for most temps. Rain on the other hand...

I don't mind if it starts raining after I'm already out riding but not too keen to leave home if it's already raining.
5 users like this post:
Old 01-06-2016, 07:56 PM   #2807
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:

I don't mind if it starts raining after I'm already out riding but not too keen to leave home if it's already raining.
Thats where im different, with MTB rain entices me to head out. Went out a few weeks ago with a mate, was lightly raining then got heavier. Super fun.
- Antz Turboside Intake
5 users like this post:
Old 01-06-2016, 07:58 PM   #2808
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
Thats where im different, with MTB rain entices me to head out. Went out a few weeks ago with a mate, was lightly raining then got heavier. Super fun.
Ha, I've always said mountain bikers are a different breed
4 users like this post:
Old 01-06-2016, 08:00 PM   #2809
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Ha, I've always said mountain bikers are a different breed
Yeah i have to agree there i could imagine a road bike aint much fun in the rain.

When we went out last time, got off the bikes looked like we had shat ourselves luckily we had a cpl towels for the car seat. Head to toe covered, shoes would leak when walking
- Antz Turboside Intake
2 users like this post:
Old 01-06-2016, 08:59 PM   #2810
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Quote:

I love the rain. Adds a whole new set of challenges and skills. Temp on the other hand.....hate the cold.
GTpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2016, 09:11 PM   #2811
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
I hate going out in the cold. The hardest part for me is getting out of bed, getting ready and getting on the bike. For the first 2-5km Im questioning wtf Im doing, then after that Im chuffed because riding is awesome and Im warmed up by that time.

As for my limit, its about 5deg. Anything colder and I question my sanity and manliness.
PMSL. Can't agree with you any more on that.
2° when I set off this morning.
Long sleeve thermal base, long sleeve thermal jersey, long sleeve wind jacket.
Thick bib shorts, leg warmers pulled right up to the top of my thighs, plus under shorts.
Basically 3 layers from the knees up.
Two pairs of socks and neoprene toe covers.

Cruising through the fog freezing cold questioning my sanity!

But loving it all the same.
GTpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-06-2016, 10:35 PM   #2812
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You blokes truly have bigger brass ones , 5 degrees .... 2 degrees ... omg ...... i am just not worthy .... i will strive to be better .
2 users like this post:
Old 02-06-2016, 12:47 PM   #2813
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

This.

It was 1 degree as I rode to work on Monday.

Had a baselayer, a long sleeve jersey, normal knicks with a set of leg warmers underneath and a pair of Rapha booties.

Really should get a set of winter knicks.

Tell you what though, the Rapha rain booties have been an AMAZING purchase.

Yes as with all Rapha gear, they are retardedly expensive, but man they are effective!

Edit: Mik, you may find that your clothes are what is killing you the most.

Cotton based stuff will just get soaked with your sweat, then make you freeze to death.

There is a lot to be said for quality clothing that can take sweat off you, and not just retain it.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:11 PM   #2814
prydey
Rob

yes, if you dress appropriately and with the correct gear, you can be comfortable riding in just about anything.

i cycle on a very small budget (not by choice...) and recently purchased a pure wool cycling top from Aldi (yes, you read that right). i use it as a baselayer and so far with just that and a jersey, and arm warmers (sometimes a gillet depending on conditions) it has done the job so far this year. in the next few months i'll probably have to double up on the jerseys as i'm not in the position to be buying anything at the moment. i don't have much winter gear but my 'mates' often comment on my leg warmers - the natural variety

as mentioned earlier by Shav, if you can survive the first 5-10 minutes, then generally its fine after that. i live very close to hills and nothing like some hills to get the blood flowing.

having said that, i have been on rides where you just don't warm up at all and the whole day ruined. all you can think about is getting home to some warmth. if its a group ride, it keeps the regroups short though as everyone wants to keep moving, so it has its upside
4 users like this post:
Old 02-06-2016, 04:27 PM   #2815
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

About the only sort of legit stuff i have for the bike is the padded shorts , and a decent pair of runners, the gloves i wear on the bike are bunnings work leather gloves with the fingers cut off for $ 3.00 buks a pair , the rest of the wardrobe is kmart stuff , and im always drenched head to toe with sweat when i arrive home.
Thanks DBourne and Prydey , indeed i will have to pay more attention to my bike attire.
Cheers.
2 users like this post:
Old 02-06-2016, 04:40 PM   #2816
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

I received all the vital tools and parts for the bike I'm building. I spent a bit of time setting up the derailleurs, put on new pedals, measured and cut the seat post and steering tube.

Ready for the first ride, and it started raining!

2016 Ford Falcon FG/X XR6 Turbo you beaut ute
1985 XR4Ti Sierra - Build Thread
1971 Fairlane 500
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Captain Stubing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
9 users like this post:
Old 02-06-2016, 06:30 PM   #2817
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Everyone has a budget for winter clothes. I always recommend new comers to buy the best that they can afford. Usually the elements they experience will make them push the budget a little more for the added comfort which really, you cannot put a price on.

If you are not comfortable, you'll usually find every excuse not to ride.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
3 users like this post:
Old 03-06-2016, 12:10 AM   #2818
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny View Post
I received all the vital tools and parts for the bike I'm building. I spent a bit of time setting up the derailleurs, put on new pedals, measured and cut the seat post and steering tube.

Ready for the first ride, and it started raining!

Turned out really well, not that a Merckx with Campag could turn out any other way. Did you have any issues setting the gears up. My front derailleur was a bit of a mess around but now that I have the Campag alignment guides it is easy.

Now you just have to get out on the thing.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:39 AM   #2819
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

The only issues I had was that the chainlink guide snapped off too soon, and trying to get the link in without it. I had to take some time to set up the gears because I've not played with Campag before, and I'm not sure how the front derailleur trim feature works. I need to ride it for a bit to get a feel of how it shifts, and if it feels right, I guess.

2016 Ford Falcon FG/X XR6 Turbo you beaut ute
1985 XR4Ti Sierra - Build Thread
1971 Fairlane 500
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Captain Stubing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2016, 04:51 AM   #2820
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny View Post
The only issues I had was that the chainlink guide snapped off too soon, and trying to get the link in without it. I had to take some time to set up the gears because I've not played with Campag before, and I'm not sure how the front derailleur trim feature works. I need to ride it for a bit to get a feel of how it shifts, and if it feels right, I guess.
Go to the Campagnolo support site and download the owners manual for your front derailleur to find out about the trim functions. I am pretty sure they changed it with the 2015 model but mine has 2 trim settings on the small ring and only one position for the large ring. They say that the large ring can run the entire cassette without rub on the derailleur. I think this is affected by chainstay length as I can get 10 gears to run without rub. The largest 2 cogs actually cause a lot of noise on the big ring due to chain angle on the teeth of the big ring. It doesn't worry me as I do not use those last 2 cogs combined with the big ring, too nasty on equipment and those gears are duplicated on the small ring with better chain angles.