Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: do you have insurance
NO I cant afford it 82 7.63%
NO insurance wont touch me the driver 22 2.05%
NO insurance dont like my car too many mods etc 35 3.26%
NO i'd rather spend that money at the pub i'm too tight 37 3.44%
YES Id' never drive without some form of insurance 899 83.63%
Voters: 1075. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 01:48 PM   #241
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If fault is under dispute? You have to pay your excess after your cars repaired. Once the dispute has ended and blame has been decided upon. Then you will get your excess back if you where deemed not at fault.

I've been through the process many times before (no fault of mine). The joys of people who don't respect other peoples property.

My gripe is the repair is supposed to be as good as factory and not devalue your car. Both my cars were devalued considerably after the accidents via the insurer. I'm no longer insured with them. They can kiss my ****.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
Old 10-06-2005, 02:43 PM   #242
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnydep
That is what they all say, until it comes to pay.
Actually, that's not what they all say, most uninsured people aren't interested in paying anything at all, and sure, they deserve a flogging. Those sort of people can't be helped no matter what. I'm not condoning that.

My friend is an honorable person, and I know he'd suffer whatever consequences he landed himself in.
If you don't believe it, bad luck for you. :
Quote:
Only fools, tools & idiots drive with no insurance.
You shouldn't judge all just because your opinion differs, my friend is certainly no fool.
Quote:
Not all people can afford to have full insurance, so TPP is the best way to cover everyone involved.
Example; first time driver purchases pride & joy, but can only get TPP insurance. FTD gets hit from behind by DH driver with no insurance, FTD has to chase DH driver for repair costs, but other driver refuses to pay. Off to court they go & judge rules that DH has to pay $x dollars every week, FTD gets one payment & has to chase again. FTD's car is off road all this time, his job & private life is suffering, all because DH.

Everyone say's that they'll pay, but there is always an excuse.
See above.
Quote:
By the way, can you sell me a ME amp, I'll pay you tomorrow if they're good, I promise :
Sure, because you appear to be such an honest guy you can pay 150% deposit on pick up, and the balance of another 150% if you decide to keep it....

Rick.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:21 PM   #243
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw
Well Go bankrupt leave the insurance company pay the bill, you just CAUSED premiums for EVERYONE to go up!!!
I would have thought someone working in insurance would have a better understanding of technical pricing models

A claim is a claim. It will be allocated as such. Wether the uninsured pays for it or not occurs 'below the line'. i.e. recoveries are a profit and loss item in the underwriting process, the actuarial liablitiy will be recorded regardless of how 'recoverabel' these monies are.

Premiums are based on the actuarial liabilities associated with the risk. The days of pricing based on a pool of expected claims are long gone.

i.e. going bankrupt works against shareholders as opposed to policy holders.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:41 PM   #244
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
Actually, that's not what they all say, most uninsured people aren't interested in paying anything at all, and sure, they deserve a flogging. Those sort of people can't be helped no matter what. I'm not condoning that.

My friend is an honorable person, and I know he'd suffer whatever consequences he landed himself in.
If you don't believe it, bad luck for you. :
Only if he's going to beat me up :
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
...you wouldn't say that to him in person if you knew him.
You say;
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
...he's not the sort of person who trys to welch out of responsibilities. If it's his fault, he'll accept that and suffer the consequences.
And that is quite likely, but there are things that need to be taken into acccount:
People have different interpretations of "fault", example; Guy rear ends vehicle in front, law states Guy is 85% in the wrong. Guy disputes this, claiming the other vehicle driver cut him off leaving no room to manoeuver.
If Guy is insured the insurance company takes over & other vehicle is repaired, no hassles. If Guy is not insured, he promises to pay if he is in the wrong, but he is swearing black & blue it is not his fault. Off to court it goes.
Like I said before,
Quote:
That is what they all say, until it comes to pay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
Sure, because you appear to be such an honest guy you can pay 150% deposit on pick up, and the balance of another 150% if you decide to keep it....

Rick.
Thanks, 150% of 0$ is nothing, I'll take two :
Old 10-06-2005, 07:22 PM   #245
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
And that is quite likely, but there are things that need to be taken into acccount:
People have different interpretations of "fault", example; Guy rear ends vehicle in front, law states Guy is 85% in the wrong. Guy disputes this, claiming the other vehicle driver cut him off leaving no room to manoeuver.
If Guy is insured the insurance company takes over & other vehicle is repaired, no hassles. If Guy is not insured, he promises to pay if he is in the wrong, but he is swearing black & blue it is not his fault. Off to court it goes.
And what's the problem with that? If you're into the habit of cutting people off you either suffer the consequences of someone not willing to pay when you get rear ended, or you have full comp to protect yourself from your own driving habits.
Why should someone else be burdened with your poor driving habits, people need to be responsible for there actions.

Rick.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:56 PM   #246
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
And what's the problem with that? If you're into the habit of cutting people off you either suffer the consequences of someone not willing to pay when you get rear ended, or you have full comp to protect yourself from your own driving habits.
Why should someone else be burdened with your poor driving habits, people need to be responsible for there actions.

Rick.
Back to cost again, not everyone can get full comp insurance. And what one person says about fault is different to the others.
How do we know that the person traveling at the rear just wasn't paying attention or their judgement was out of wack that night, or the guy in front had to slam the brakes on while changing lanes to avoid an animal running across the road?
When it comes to pay, someone like your mate will say;
Quote:
Originally Posted by sox
If the Guy had TPP insurance there would be no hassle, no agro, just a fixed car, everyone is happy & can feel safer taking there car out for a drive.
What does Third Party Property insurance cost?

I'm sorry, but you have not convinced me.
I believe that anyone that drives without insurance is :
Old 10-06-2005, 09:18 PM   #247
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Back to cost again, not everyone can get full comp insurance.
Sure, however it can be argued that those that can't afford full comp, may not have a vehicle of high value. So not much of a loss.
Quote:
And what one person says about fault is different to the others.
Of course, that's (as you said) what the courts are for. Unless it's clear cut.
Quote:
How do we know that the person traveling at the rear just wasn't paying attention or their judgement was out of wack that night
In that case, they'd pay up, no question.
Quote:
, or the guy in front had to slam the brakes on while changing lanes to avoid an animal running across the road?
The law states it's illegal to swerve for an animal, so he would be at fault.
Quote:
When it comes to pay, someone like your mate will say;
Says you, but you'd be wrong.
Quote:
If the Guy had TPP insurance there would be no hassle, no agro, just a fixed car, everyone is happy & can feel safer taking there car out for a drive.
What does Third Party Property insurance cost?
When you need to insure 5 vehicles over a long period, a lot.
Quote:
I'm sorry, but you have not convinced me.
No apologies needed, I'm not attempting to convince you of anything, I'm simply giving my opinion to this thread, as you are.
Quote:
I believe that anyone that drives without insurance is :
Good for you, I believe everyone has a right to there opinion, contrary to what you think. _

Rick.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:03 PM   #248
FTR302

I got in BIG trouble from the better half for not renewing my insurance.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:19 PM   #249
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

I have comprehensive insurance on my BA XR6, and wouldn't be without it. If I couldn't afford comprehensive I would go Fire and Theft and leave it at home in the garage... But I could never see myself in that position anyways...

I would like to own a BA XR8 but the insurance at my age would be way too high..
Old 10-06-2005, 10:33 PM   #250
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Id always get comprehensive. You never know if the person that hits you will have the cover if any at all, or the money to pay up. Better to protect yourself and not be sorry. Also if you happen to have an accident which is your fault your covered. Anyone can buy a car its affording it that is another thing.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:53 PM   #251
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
No apologies needed, I'm not attempting to convince you of anything, I'm simply giving my opinion to this thread, as you are.

Good for you, I believe everyone has a right to there opinion, contrary to what you think. _

Rick.
Well, I reckon that's what makes Australia great, opinion, everyone has an opinion & it's debated in a civil manner. :

:Reverend: But I'm still stuck on, 'every driver should have TTP insurance on the vehicle thy drive' :eclipsee_
Old 11-06-2005, 12:04 AM   #252
xrgran

As I said before, it is only common sense to have full insurance and protect your hard earned dollar, whether it be your car or home contents.

I have a friend who still has no home insurance? I just don't get it...

Old 11-06-2005, 02:24 AM   #253
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockWaveXR6na

I would like to own a BA XR8 but the insurance at my age would be way too high..
What do you pay now, only Nrma and just cars would insure me. Just cars was $2,ooo cheaper with an at fault no claim accident next to my name.
Old 17-06-2005, 02:46 PM   #254
big_waity
Windsor Man!

I don't have any insuarance aside from CTP of course. My reasons for this are a combination of things. The first reason is my driving record and the second is the mods done to my car. Neither of these are my choice. Ok, so I know I made the decision to modify the car and I made the decision to drive like a dick when I was younger. I would be insured if I could. I have contacted an insurance broker and asked them to insure me, but, they came back saying that noone in Australia will insure me to drive my car. This is one of the reasons my car is for sale. I love it, but I cannot insure it. My next car will be standard right down to the stereo. And to those who state that if you can't afford insurance then you cannot afford the car, I am an honest man who would pay for the damages to any car that I hit. I have hit one car in the past and although the person I hit wanted to go through the insurance company(I was fully insured), I payed her cash to have it repaired at whichever repairer she chose and she was very happy with that decision. :
Old 18-06-2005, 09:39 AM   #255
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
I would have thought someone working in insurance would have a better understanding of technical pricing models

A claim is a claim. It will be allocated as such. Wether the uninsured pays for it or not occurs 'below the line'. i.e. recoveries are a profit and loss item in the underwriting process, the actuarial liablitiy will be recorded regardless of how 'recoverabel' these monies are.

Premiums are based on the actuarial liabilities associated with the risk. The days of pricing based on a pool of expected claims are long gone.

i.e. going bankrupt works against shareholders as opposed to policy holders.
Actually, no premiums are worked on both. And yes unrecoverable monies do infact add to the associated risks of the "pool of money". If you want proof of this try insuring outside of a states insurance. Like for example, RACQ will only insure you in QLD, RACV will not insure outside of Vic, Insurance companies that do multi state insurances will also upon moving from one state to another do "interstate transfers" ie. you move from Sydney to QLD. The NSW policy will be cancelled and start a new policy in QLD for you. The monies have to be in the correct Pool and premiums are worked out accordingly. So if there is unrecoverable money it does in fact affect the pool of money in that region and pricing accordingly.
Old 29-06-2005, 01:34 AM   #256
GRNKPR
DPC PERFORMANCE Race prep

Insurance the necessary evil some may complain about insuring 1 car try 4

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
Old 30-06-2005, 11:35 AM   #257
SunDrifter
To shreads you say?!

I voted yes i'd never drive without... but having said that, up until recently i didn't have insurance, primarily because i was poor, but also i guess because i was too stupid to think i could cause an accident (learnt to drive at age 8 (on the farm), and fully licenced for over 7 years without a problem. (touch wood)).

But i'm waiting for my new car to arrive tomorrow and i've signed up for fully comp. The plus side though, is that because of a good driving record (and my age) i went straight onto a rateing 1! w00t.

So now i don't have any reason not to continue insuring my car, its relatively cheep!
I've owned Holdens and Daewoos, and had plenty of problems with Holdens and none with Daewoos. Of course, the Holden is the more desirable car to own and drive, but based on my experience it is not the higher quality of the two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickHolden
Weight means nothing to a cars handling...
:
Old 30-06-2005, 06:23 PM   #258
BOSS 540
70 Mercury Eliminator

Who drives without insurance? only a fool! What you think you might be saving could bite you BIGTIME. Pay it monthly, shop around, look at options, save on spending on other things such as mods. Your'e gotta have it IMO..
Old 30-06-2005, 09:58 PM   #259
2fishingdogs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would never own a car with out full comp insurance. The misses was hit the other day, luckly she was in our BA tradesman ute. He caught the edge of the tray and ripped his door open and onlt bent one bracket ($10), But he had N0 insurance and luckely it was the ute other wise we would have had to use our Insurance to fix.
Old 30-06-2005, 10:16 PM   #260
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Next door neighbour (65 yrs old), got hit in the rear. He has only got third party fire & theft, the guy that hit him had nothing & was screaming that it was the old guys fault. The neighbour reckons the 'young man' looked at the front end of his rust Toyota corolla, saw no damage to the steel bumper, got into his car & drove off.
His 1984 Fairlane had a broken indicator/brake light assembly, which cost him $270.00 to supply, fit & repair some minor damage.

I asked him if he was going to take it further, as the law was on his side, he said there was no point, but I saw the real reason. He was scared.
Had a laugh with him & cheered him up, found out he has had his Fairlane since new & that was the first accident its had.
Old 02-07-2005, 04:46 PM   #261
98AUXR6

I used top drive without insurance when I was younger but I dont think I would leave the house without it now!
Old 04-07-2005, 12:11 AM   #262
Daniel
F6 - with sugar on top

Both of my cars have had full comp!
If you hit someone elses car, its peace of mind knowing all it takes is one phone call to sort it out; if someone hits you and isnt taking responsibility for their actions, its peace of mind knowing with one call you can with no cost have your goods fixed or replaced and have the unwilling person taken to court to be dealed with, not by you.

Ive had someone hit my rear b4, not bad - but they screwed me around and started to threaten me, my family and my home/posessions, one call to insurance explaining the situation, one call to cops, 2 days with car off road = all sorted.

My mate got his Ps, had them for about 1 month with no insurance, hit a brand new civic, caused 4k damage to the honda alone, then 2 months later after, hed still decided he cant afford insurance, wrote his car off! Then to top it off 1 week after that he "borrowed" another mates nissan n hit a pole in it as he narrowly missed a new merc 4wd!!!!!!!! Needless to say hes got a huge debt to pay off, well, lots of small ones and no car at all now!

Not a chance id drive w/o insurance.
Old 04-07-2005, 03:08 AM   #263
Bluefreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA Coupe
Houses, contents which cannot be insured. I have some items that can't be insured .. or more to the point won't be. I have seen enough cars in houses to know it happens all to frequently. Cars under restoration, and no doubt other things I haven't thought of.
Should for any reason my insurance decide to try and screw me ( as happens ) then I ( the mythical 'I' because I don't see the chances of me running into your friend happening ) am screwed... especially if he happens to die. It coyuld be years before I saw any money. All because he was too tight to pay up.
I
If anyone with full insurance runs into your house and destroys the things you have which are uninsurable, you'll never be paid for them anyway... It would be up to your household insurance company to claim against the other parties insurance to recover the cost of paying you out. If your household insurance doesn't cover an item, you can't claim for it no matter what the circumstances.
Old 04-07-2005, 03:14 AM   #264
Bluefreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba
Thats a bloody good call. And I will second that.. And to anyone who thinks thats it's to harsh. well wait untill you get hit by an uninsured car and then tell me what you think...

Matt
I Hate uninsured drivers....
Been hit twice by uninsured drivers... RACV made it a hassle free experience so I'll tell you what I think... If you're insured, what's your problem? Not trying to be a smartass, just don't understand what you guy's are loosing sooo much sleep over... Insure your e and forget about it, simple.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:13 AM   #265
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefreak
Been hit twice by uninsured drivers... RACV made it a hassle free experience so I'll tell you what I think... If you're insured, what's your problem? Not trying to be a smartass, just don't understand what you guy's are loosing sooo much sleep over... Insure your e and forget about it, simple.
Most people did, after the major debates with sox, your the one bringing it back & loosing sleep. :yeees:
Old 04-07-2005, 10:22 AM   #266
xrgran

If a car is under finance (bank, etc) I believe that the vehicle has to have to have full insurance coverage anyway.

Old 05-07-2005, 02:15 AM   #267
Street Sleeper

Full comprehensive on the EF 8-)
Old 05-07-2005, 03:10 AM   #268
Bluefreak

Quote:
Most people did, after the major debates with sox, your the one bringing it back & loosing sleep. :yeees:
Yep, few months behind the 8 ball... Night shift will do that to you.
Old 05-07-2005, 03:40 AM   #269
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Even if it isnt your fault if you chase it up you will probably not get anything cause chances are if they cant afford comprehensive then they probably have nothing in the first place to compensate you with which is why i will always have comprehensive. You can chase it up all you want but if they aint got nothing you aint goin to get nothing.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:49 PM   #270
Heeno
Formally knowen as EBus

Well i'll let you know now, to the ones that like to have a go at people for their opinions...i couldn't give a F@$k what you have to say so don't bother.

Anyway i haven't got any insurance what so ever in my name, simply cuz it is to expensive and i need a car to get to work, otherwise i can't get there, which means no job! which means i go on the dole and take YOUR hard earned cash! i still run everything through mums name because it is cheap as **** top cover and my name is down as a driver of the vehical, so i can go out and wreck a 911 TT and walk away with a smile on my face knowing im all sweet! and i will continue to do this untill im 25 and don't get hit with outragous prices, sure i'll start off on a dodgee rating but its better then payin 1600 a year + 8 years(going by when i turned 17)= $12800 wasted just to get a cheap price on insurance.

and judging by what most of you have said about if you can't afford insurance don't get a car, well your basically saying all the single parents out there struggling, who can just afford a car to run their small kids around arn't aloud to have that car if they don't get insurance, hmmm i'd like to see you tell them that!

Changes: 5 spd manual
Extractors, 2.5in exhaust
AMG Quake 17's w/ maxxis rubba
Lovelle superlows
Cheap a55 Pod Filter

Bike: CR250R 05 :evil3:
Closed Thread