Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 12-10-2011, 05:54 PM   #241
ConradP

Default Re: Time to mod my LV

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Any chance we can get some shots of the lights on with the car facing a wall at night? Id be interested in seeing the light spread, i want to do something with my lights be it these or dig deep and buy some Euro ST lights.
Also you said the DRL's dont work? That doesnt bother me at all, infact if i were to get some i think id paint them black so you cant see them.
Was it a 'direct' replacement, ie pull the old one out and put new one in 'Plug and Play' kinda thing as i dont wanna chop up anything.
Sorry didn't see your post!

They are a direct fit with an extra little pack you have to stick somewhere, I've got it stuck to the car, probably a bad choice but I've changed the globes from the low and high beams to the ones of the stock lights without having to remove it so should be alright. It's just as simple as 2 screws(one on each headlight) and 2 clips you push in with your screwdriver and out they come and direct swap with the plugs.

The DRL's "work" but they aren't always on, you must have you lights set to the first on position, the DRL and halos come on at the same time then and are not amazingly bright, that's probably because they don't dim when you put on the headlights.

I'll get a picture tonight of the light spread for you, I'll just do it up against my garage should be fine. The high beams are fine, but the lows are less than ideal I think, I'm going to be looking at getting a xenon kit for low beams and fog lights in the next few weeks, no stupid blue ones, just white ones so I can see better, also improve the look
Old 12-10-2011, 06:01 PM   #242
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Yeah i didnt think the light would be all that flash, hhmmm ill wait for your pics.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2011, 06:16 PM   #243
ConradP

Quote:
Yeah i didnt think the light would be all that flash, hhmmm ill wait for your pics.
On a positive note, the globes are super easy to change rather than the stock headlight housing for it where I can't get it to sit back in it's proper slot.

Also they look nice with the car compared to the bland chrome original ones.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:24 PM   #244
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Yeah the chrome ones are horrid, at least mine has the black ones i guess.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 12-10-2011, 06:35 PM   #245
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Just remember not to go driving through any deepish water with that intake pipe down there won't you
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2011, 06:55 PM   #246
ConradP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ
Just remember not to go driving through any deepish water with that intake pipe down there won't you
Living in melbourne that could be hard, with our crazy summer days turned to flash flooding of the streets.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:28 PM   #247
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the pics of the Apollo, Conrad. Looks like my insulated cable bundle is thicker and more in the way for some reason, maybe because it's automatic. It also looks like you've got a very tight first bend in the hose.

I think I'm going to find a way of attaching a very short length of that hose plus the velocity stack to my shortened version of the stock intake. At least that'll give me a wider and rounder intake mouth.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2011, 10:06 PM   #248
ConradP

Yeah appears so! Under WOT I think it vibrates a bit in its current position, i'll keep adjusting it until it's good.

And yeah a very tight first bend.
Old 13-10-2011, 11:02 PM   #249
ConradP

Alright DJM83, hot off my camera.

My driveway is on a slope though so not the best angle it could be, just think of them a bit higher up on the wall if it were straight :P

Old 14-10-2011, 09:25 AM   #250
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Looks like a Halogen projector, awesome, where did you get em from and how much did they cost?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2011, 10:22 AM   #251
ConradP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Looks like a Halogen projector, awesome, where did you get em from and how much did they cost?
Yeah they are, just got them from Ebay, was $600, bit pricy but there was no others on there and I was after the halo and DRL part of them, didn't even notice they were the projector headlights.

I've put in halogen Phillips 4000k bluevision bulbs as well just to get a bit of extra whiteness. $70 for them and came with parkers compared to $150 or so for a xenon kit and having the possibility of being caught with them being illegal(need headlamp washers for any kind of xenons to be legal)
Old 14-10-2011, 11:54 AM   #252
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradP
Yeah they are, just got them from Ebay, was $600, bit pricy but there was no others on there and I was after the halo and DRL part of them, didn't even notice they were the projector headlights.

I've put in halogen Phillips 4000k bluevision bulbs as well just to get a bit of extra whiteness. $70 for them and came with parkers compared to $150 or so for a xenon kit and having the possibility of being caught with them being illegal(need headlamp washers for any kind of xenons to be legal)
$600 isn't too bad, it cost me about $600 for my driving lights, I've got a full set of phillips +80s in my headlights for lows and high (well, had, one blew and when it got serviced the mechanic replaced it with a normal H1, and I accidentally ordered only 1 +100 to replace them with)

The problem with Xenons is more that the aftermarket kits puts them in a halogen reflector which they weren't designed for, and this throws light all over the place, blinding other drivers. If its done properly with a HID projector which takes a lot of butchering of your headlight assembly and wiring modifications, you'd get an exact light cut-off like your halogen projectors. But I see this costing more than $600 haha.

Yes the washers are also a problem, same with no auto-levelling system, but if its done properly I reckon you won't cause much fuss because you wouldn't be annoying other drivers.

But yours look really good, can you get them without the DRL/angel eyes?
Old 14-10-2011, 06:40 PM   #253
ConradP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
$600 isn't too bad, it cost me about $600 for my driving lights, I've got a full set of phillips +80s in my headlights for lows and high (well, had, one blew and when it got serviced the mechanic replaced it with a normal H1, and I accidentally ordered only 1 +100 to replace them with)

The problem with Xenons is more that the aftermarket kits puts them in a halogen reflector which they weren't designed for, and this throws light all over the place, blinding other drivers. If its done properly with a HID projector which takes a lot of butchering of your headlight assembly and wiring modifications, you'd get an exact light cut-off like your halogen projectors. But I see this costing more than $600 haha.

Yes the washers are also a problem, same with no auto-levelling system, but if its done properly I reckon you won't cause much fuss because you wouldn't be annoying other drivers.

But yours look really good, can you get them without the DRL/angel eyes?
I'm not sure if you can get with without the halo and DRL's, there might be some other mobs that make aftermarket ones for the focus, these were nice because they are just a direct replacement no cutting wires or anything, they also don't have parkers the drl and halos are on instead of them so if that's a problem for you i'd avoid them as well.

All in all I like them alot, they look different and also are not just the bland chrome stock ones that come with it. Also goes with the black/grey colour scheme of my car.
Old 14-10-2011, 06:52 PM   #254
ConradP

I had to remove the air hose from my Apollo, noticed on my way home today there was a serious lack of go when I put my foot down, turns out because of the first bend I've got the inside has torn and was blocking half of it. I'll work something else out I guess, new hose and new elbow or something one day.
Old 14-10-2011, 07:58 PM   #255
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Quote:
I had to remove the air hose from my Apollo, noticed on my way home today there was a serious lack of go when I put my foot down, turns out because of the first bend I've got the inside has torn and was blocking half of it. I'll work something else out I guess, new hose and new elbow or something one day.
I was going to suggest that maybe you could try using a short straight piece of PVC pipe and some silicone bends to try and get that kink out of your hose. I'm talking about PVC pipe that's used in plumbing, there are also various sized PVC bends and adapters you could use as well as you would obviously still need to join into the existing pipe coming from the intake, your local hardware or plumbing store will stock it. I'm not sure how much space is available where the present pipe is kinking but the PVC pipe obviously won't kink and can be painted as well. Might be worth a try at least

Last edited by Russ; 14-10-2011 at 08:07 PM.
Old 14-10-2011, 08:58 PM   #256
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Thanks mate, sorry for delayed reply after i hassled ya, been drivin back home.
Looks like a decent light spread now i dont think the UK Xenons are worth the hassle to be honest. Only reason i want them is because i like the factory look. I dont like the look of yours as much as the UK Xenons, but id still consider getting some as they are no where near the hassle compared to getting the Xenons to work.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 14-10-2011, 10:05 PM   #257
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Maybe the elbow coming from the throttle body needs to be 135 degrees, because the 90 degree elbow still doesn't point straight down. Then again the 135 might bend too far back towards the throttle body...

For myself the only way to make it work would be to get a smaller diameter hose, which I think would limit much of the potential gain.

My plan is to use the Apollo's velocity stack and 10-15 centimetres of its hose attached to my sawn off stock intake pipe. Hopefully it can rest just under the radiator cover, cable tied to the grille. Whether it's a good idea to have the hole facing forwards, I'm not sure, but I figure it's safer than having it poking through a foglight hole closer to ground level. And I'll work out a way of meshing the opening, anyway.

Old 14-10-2011, 11:59 PM   #258
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Thanks mate, sorry for delayed reply after i hassled ya, been drivin back home.
Looks like a decent light spread now i dont think the UK Xenons are worth the hassle to be honest. Only reason i want them is because i like the factory look. I dont like the look of yours as much as the UK Xenons, but id still consider getting some as they are no where near the hassle compared to getting the Xenons to work.
I got a quote on the UK Xenons, 600 Euro before shipping just for the assemblies, add in $150 each globe for a pair of Phillips D2S, plus the same amount on a set of aftermarket ballasts, and then you have to wire them up.

Just a bit of random information I have a Haynes manual coming for 2005-2009 Focus, be interesting to see what it covers.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 15-10-2011 at 12:07 AM.
Old 15-10-2011, 01:37 AM   #259
frozen xr5

Quote:

why didnt you fit a 6000k hid kit would be a lot better than halogens
Old 15-10-2011, 11:16 AM   #260
ConradP

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen xr5
why didnt you fit a 6000k hid kit would be a lot better than halogens
Like I said they are all illegal unless I have washers for my headlamps, also I'd only go the 4300k heat HID's because anything higher gives that blue look, and I just don't want that.
Old 15-10-2011, 02:48 PM   #261
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As seems to be usual with this car, I found less room than I hoped for the adapted Apollo intake hose (it's the bonnet locking mechanism, in this case), but this is what I've come up with. A bit ghetto, as the Yanks would say, and I'm not sure if it's too restricting of the radiator and/or going to be inclined to get hot. I'm also sure I'll have to get some more heat reflective tape than this electrical stuff...

Overhead shot without radiator cover in place.

Side on, still no cover in place. You can see the mesh from a strainer.

Cover back on. Black tape will be less obvious than silver tape...

Any opinions? I'll be giving it a drive-test later, and if that doesn't show much, I may go back to the shortened intake or even the stock intake (I have a spare replacement snorkel), just to see whether it isn't as much worse as I imagine/remember.

Old 15-10-2011, 03:06 PM   #262
casabonka
You can call me Chris

Will it get any air on that angle? You're not having much luck are you!
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Lenso 18's w/Kumho rubber
-Tinted Windows
casabonka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2011, 03:12 PM   #263
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ha ha, no luck. Well, the stock intake is aimed straight up at and under the radiator cover.

Old 15-10-2011, 03:13 PM   #264
ConradP

Quote:
Originally Posted by casabonka
Will it get any air on that angle? You're not having much luck are you!
It will, the stock one is facing up under the plastic shroud at the front there, so this will be getting more than that.

I myself am thinking of taking Russ' advice and making up some kind of PVC piping and having it go down to behind the side deflector next to the radiator and cutting a hole in that.

I do like the idea of using the heat reflective stuff on it as well, might take that on, but I was planning on painting it bright green
Old 15-10-2011, 03:39 PM   #265
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I was planning on painting it bright green
Everybody knows you'll get more power from it if you paint it red
Old 15-10-2011, 04:05 PM   #266
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I myself am thinking of taking Russ' advice and making up some kind of PVC piping and having it go down to behind the side deflector next to the radiator and cutting a hole in that.
That should work, but I'm reluctant to start cutting parts up too much, because I want to be able to return to stock reasonably easily and quickly.

Old 15-10-2011, 05:58 PM   #267
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Focus
That should work, but I'm reluctant to start cutting parts up too much, because I want to be able to return to stock reasonably easily and quickly.
From what I can see in ConradP's pic, you shouldn't need to cut any original parts, the flexible piping that comes off the intake will need to be shortened and joined to the straight piece of PVC pipe, then add an elbow and that's about all
Old 15-10-2011, 06:17 PM   #268
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I've got one of these coming:

http://www.european-parts.net/catalo...roducts_id=790

Lets hope it actually works with our cars LOL. It says it works with 2.0 TDCI, and MK2, but they don't reply to my emails, and Sascha from EP says it does.

Be interesting.
Old 15-10-2011, 08:52 PM   #269
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well, it worked reasonably well. I didn't notice much at suburban speed, but the car was noticeably stronger up a hill that I go up regularly (improved torque, presumably). And today was warmer in Perth than it has been, so cooler ambient air is not responsible.

I took the car for an hour's drive, and gave it stick a few times. At the end, the intake pipe itself was remarkably cool still (and the tape and mesh hadn't shifted). The airbox was warm to the touch, and the throttle body hose was particularly warm, but still touchable; it looks like something that could use replacing, but it twists sideways and down to the standard airbox, so I'm not sure how easy it would be to substitute.

All in all, no miracles were produced - nor expected - but I think it is an improvement on what I had, and definitely on the "naked" (hoseless) Apollo. I might remove the mesh, because it's not directly facing the grille (and potential stones etc), and before I installed the snorkel, I noticed by simply blowing through the mesh, down the tube and onto my hand that there was a noticeable reduction of flow compared to doing the same without the mesh.

Old 15-10-2011, 11:32 PM   #270
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I had a quick look at my front right tyre as I had it on full lock while parked, I noticed the very outside tread wear indicator is level with the tread, car has 15,000km on it.

Also with camber kit for the lowering springs, do I need front AND rear camber kits?

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 15-10-2011 at 11:41 PM.