Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 12-02-2014, 12:11 PM   #2521
prydey
Rob

Default Re: who amongst us have gone solar

my latest bill.

used 970 odd kwh.
exported 1030 odd kwh.

FIT lower than all rates, means i still had to stump up $100. also, i go in to arrears over winter, so i probably started a fair way behind the 8 ball. i'm hopeful by end of next billing period that i will be back in front. my usage was higher than same time last year, but my 2 daughters are also growing up and one is a teenager, so its not like usage will stay static.

its not ideal, but its still better than the $500+ bills we used to get.

have to get a bit stricter with when we do washing (keep telling wifey it must be done in sunshine hours) and electricity chewing devices that don't need to be on.

(came home last night from work, kids both asleep, mrs watching tv in living room and tv going in bedroom!!)

i don't really want to become like my dad, but sadly its a necessity as human nature doesn't change
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-02-2014, 12:57 PM   #2522
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

First bill with solar was $4, love it. Thinking about getting some more now so they can start paying me.
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

Dash_XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2014, 01:27 PM   #2523
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my credit goes down a bit over winter as well, but that's to be expected, it doesn't get that cold up here so our usage goes down a bit, not that it's ever high anyway.

I reckon $1,000 paid to me every year and no power bills and a credit still left in the account is a bit of all right......it'll do me.

made 18.5 kilowatts the day before yesterday, no cloud 45 deg's......cleaned the panel's yesterday morning, no cloud 45 deg's produced 18.6 kilowatts on an almost identical day yesterday......

not sure about the benefits of cleaning these thing's.

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 12-02-2014, 01:43 PM   #2524
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

I think this was mentioned earlier, but what are the brands to look for / avoid when choosing Solar Panels and other components?
My mother-in-law recently got a quote for a 5kwh system for $5K... I suspect very cheap Chinese components and to be avoided?
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2014, 01:59 PM   #2525
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Guys, could I have some help please with recommendations for a VERY GOOD installer in Perth metro area?
The last two jobs I had done on my home (paving and timber flooring) were rubbish... So I want to do my homework properly this time.
Cheers.
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
I use & recommend:

Old 12-02-2014, 03:07 PM   #2526
comagutsa
Pethy FG XR8 Ute

northern sun solar did mine and Mike was great to deal with .. good sunny boy inverters and get the better suntech panels

http://northernsunsolar.com.au/
now fitted with Koya Inox R1's, the rears are 20x10 with a 40mm offset and the fronts are 20x8.5 with a 35mm offset

total of 285.5 rwkw and 642nm
when Herrod cams in 290rwkw

GSXR 750K7 with goodies, dyno'd 136rwhp,
10.567sec for the strip
comagutsa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-02-2014, 03:11 PM   #2527
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by comagutsa View Post
northern sun solar did mine .. good sunny boy inverters and get the better suntech panels
Thanks Stu.
how longs it been installed?
good quality components and install?
I see Gryphon (roller door company) are now doing solar packages...?
Mods so far:
Mods to come:
I use & recommend:

Old 12-02-2014, 07:07 PM   #2528
masda74

Can't go past sunny boy inverters and suntech panels.
This past two months payed out over 600 clams.
32 panels on the roof makes me very happy I did this 3 years ago, come April.
masda74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2014, 08:09 PM   #2529
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

I've just been in contact with Northern Sun Solar for a quote.
Mods so far:
Mods to come:
I use & recommend:

Old 12-02-2014, 11:52 PM   #2530
comagutsa
Pethy FG XR8 Ute

Nearly 2.5 years now. Joe
now fitted with Koya Inox R1's, the rears are 20x10 with a 40mm offset and the fronts are 20x8.5 with a 35mm offset

10.567sec for the strip
2 users like this post:
Old 13-02-2014, 12:35 AM   #2531
savagetuna55
Starter Motor

JFY 5KW 3ph and 5.5KW of 250W panels (east/west)
Power bill down by about $200 per month
savagetuna55 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2014, 02:48 AM   #2532
comagutsa
Pethy FG XR8 Ute

Yeah joe make sure you get the better suntech panels -0/+5w ones . My system cost $6500 for my 3kw system with sunny boy inverter and my 200w panels. Just so you have an idea. But I did see them advertise the same system but 250w panels about 6 months ago for $5500

10.567sec for the strip
Old 13-02-2014, 03:22 AM   #2533
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Was hoping to go to a 4kWh system, but have calculated my roof space will only allow 12-13 panels... which limits me to a 3kWh system. Stupid vent pipe in the roof stuffs up my layout.
Unless I go premium and get the SunPower panels which are 327W each; means I can get 4kW from 12 panels... but gonna cost a bit extra, but I'm thinking may be worth it.
Mods so far:
Mods to come:
I use & recommend:

Old 13-02-2014, 04:22 AM   #2534
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

My house faces North, and on the North roof face I can fit nicely 12 panels.
I can also fit another 6 panels on the West roof face, giving me a total of 18 panels @ 4.5kW.
Question is, will the West facing panels be effective?
Mods so far:
Mods to come:
I use & recommend:

Old 13-02-2014, 08:54 AM   #2535
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

I have a 4.8kw system with 25 panels.16 are fitted on a north-west facing roof with the other 9 on the 5 degree sloped flat roof extension because the gabled roof wasn't big enough. I'm so glad I let the solar guy talk me into the north-west aspect instead of north as I initially wanted it. The thing I came to realise is straight north means the panels only get good light to make good power for about 75% of the daylight hours as the sun is at a too oblique angle at the start and end of the day to make good power but the way my panels are, they start making power a couple of hours after sun up but they make good power all the way to within 45 minutes to sundown because they point more to the sun late in the day. You can have a look at what my system does HERE.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2014, 11:16 AM   #2536
savagetuna55
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepscobra View Post
I can also fit another 6 panels on the West roof face, giving me a total of 18 panels @ 4.5kW.
The better way is to have 2 equal strings of panels
So half on the north and half on the west if at all possible.
An Inverter needs +/- 190VDC panel voltage pressure per string to generate 250VAC, otherwise the inverter goes "to sleep"
6 x 250W panels @ 32VDC x 6 =192VDC, so it struggles if the sun does not hit the panels in the optimum angle.
This is here in Perth in the afternoon as in the morning they do not get any.
(Most inverters are 2 string when they are over 3KW)
Hope this helps.
Old 13-02-2014, 11:39 AM   #2537
prydey
Rob

my panels are also split between north and west facing roof.

11 on the north and 9 on the west.

not ideal, but its not like you can do anything about it. more is better than less, so if you have to use your west roof as well, then do it. might not get the full benefit for the first few hours of sunlight, but it can almost make up for it later in the day.
Old 13-02-2014, 11:56 AM   #2538
masda74

If you are going to split your panels on the roof, you need to make sure your inverter has dual input. something like the sunny boy 3000-5000.
As long as you got enough panels on each string to get the right voltage as mentioned by Savagetuna55, then you should be okay.
Since there are no rebates from the government like there was 3 years ago, you don't want to be pumping power back into the grid as it is not worth it.
Pepscobra, You really need to look at your power consumptions hours.
When do you use the most power. Most people have 9-5 jobs which means that they tend to get home later in the arvo. By having your panels on your west roof, would be more beneficial for most families.
However if there is a stay at home mum and kids, then having power generated through most of the day would be a better choice, which means spreading panels out over the north and west.

SMOKING HOLDENS SINCE 2002!!!
masda74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2014, 12:19 PM   #2539
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by masda74 View Post
If you are going to split your panels on the roof, you need to make sure your inverter has dual input.
i left all that sort of stuff up to the installers and the solar company. they use nearmaps to get a rough idea of your roof capacity, and then the installers determine the best way to go when the come and do a physical inspection. of course, they can do as they are told if the homeowner wants them placed in a specific location, but i just went with their recommendations.

16 months on and my cheap chinese system is still working well. premium brands are all good if you can afford them, but alas, i could not. i figured a cheap chinese system was still better than no system.
Old 13-02-2014, 12:53 PM   #2540
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Prydey we have "cheap" systems here into their 4th year, main thing that seems to go is the inverter,......pretty good warranty on them so they just get replaced, most times the installer gets sick of replacing like with like and will "upgrade" for nix.

possibly the panels will discolour and lose their capabilities but they can be replaced at a later date, meantime power bills are well down.

the thing is with west installs is the fact that they are there, without a westerly install then nothing at all can be generated.

may be less but it is still generating.

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
3 users like this post:
Old 13-02-2014, 04:07 PM   #2541
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by masda74 View Post
If you are going to split your panels on the roof, you need to make sure your inverter has dual input. something like the sunny boy 3000-5000.
As long as you got enough panels on each string to get the right voltage as mentioned by Savagetuna55, then you should be okay.
Since there are no rebates from the government like there was 3 years ago, you don't want to be pumping power back into the grid as it is not worth it.
Pepscobra, You really need to look at your power consumptions hours.
When do you use the most power. Most people have 9-5 jobs which means that they tend to get home later in the arvo. By having your panels on your west roof, would be more beneficial for most families.
However if there is a stay at home mum and kids, then having power generated through most of the day would be a better choice, which means spreading panels out over the north and west.
Thanks for that.
Have spoken to the Supplier/Installer just now for clarification and they've confirmed that the inverter (will be going with a Sunny Boy) has the dual input and can manage with the separate bank of panels.
So looks like a 10N:6W split (or better still, a 8N:8W split) should work fine.
Mods so far:
Mods to come:
I use & recommend:

Old 13-02-2014, 05:50 PM   #2542
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you could move the vent pipe !!!
Old 13-02-2014, 11:04 PM   #2543
CJR09
RPO 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenl5l View Post
you could move the vent pipe !!!
ditto this^^

latest studies show through life cycle costing that economic payback can be achieved earlier by having a west oriented array - as on average most modern families are using the majority of their energy in the late arvo/evenings

linky linky

Q: If you have tried to sell it three times now and it is still not sold, do you think it might be over-priced?

A: It is over priced - just like all the other falcon coupes for sale!!

CJR09 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2014, 11:41 PM   #2544
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks for that.
Have spoken to the Supplier/Installer just now for clarification and they've confirmed that the inverter (will be going with a Sunny Boy) has the dual input and can manage with the separate bank of panels.
So looks like a 10N:6W split (or better still, a 8N:8W split) should work fine.

Just be careful, some SMA inverters have dual banks of plugs for arrays, but a only single MPPT controller.

It needs to have two banks of plugs AND TWO MPPT controllers.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2014, 01:10 AM   #2545
savagetuna55
Starter Motor

Maybe put up your daily KW's and your system details/location, so people can compare.
Most inverters do have a scroll function on their display and it pays to every so often look and take note of what the strings are doing.
This will/could indicate a minor fault,
or your panels being very dirty.
To clean them the bottles that can be used with a garden hose to clean windows,
are also very good to clean the panels and get the max output out of them when the rain is not falling for a length of time.
Old 14-02-2014, 02:43 PM   #2546
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

I am being recommended ET Solar Panels.
Northern Sun Solar are moving away from the Suntech panels due to supply issues.

A quick search on the net suggests they are a good panel.

Anyone here got them?
Mods so far:
Mods to come:
I use & recommend:

Old 14-02-2014, 03:24 PM   #2547
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

I've got 12 x ET 190w mono panels, at the time of the install (2012) they were regarded as a good value middle of the range panel with performance and predicted longevity that was almost as good as dearer panels that were on offer. I've had no problem with them but it's early days.

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2014, 04:18 PM   #2548
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Question: with panels facing squarely West, till what time in the afternoon will they continue to generate power to provide 240V?
Mods so far:
Mods to come:
I use & recommend:

Old 14-02-2014, 04:22 PM   #2549
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
Have the same roof. Not installed yet.. Think the west facing panels will come on strong as the north facing drop a little..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2014, 04:47 PM   #2550
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Question: with panels facing squarely West, till what time in the afternoon will they continue to generate power to provide 240V?
they will generate until the sun ceases to shine, the question is how much will they produce.......