Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2020, 03:45 PM   #211
tweeked
N/A all the way

Default Re: USA 2020 Election

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Whats this I hear about, if the court cases have merit and Biden can't be inaugurated in Jan because its still ongoing, then the speaker of the house acts as the President?!?!? Talk about a double whammy for Donald if that is accurate...
Lol, i reckon the Democrats will do their best to make that happen!! Imaging the tweets!!

This user likes this post:
Old 08-11-2020, 05:01 PM   #212
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post
They’re mate - “they’re”

For your benefit 👍

Their (it belongs to them)

There (over there)

They’re (they are).
\delete
Old 08-11-2020, 08:51 PM   #213
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Scenes from inside the White House earlier today.

6 users like this post:
Old 08-11-2020, 09:24 PM   #214
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

On this 'eventful' day, just thought this would be appropriate.

And that is just a small sample. And to think he picked on Biden for his mumblings of words.

How this clown was instated as president of the free world is beyond belief! Thanks for the last 4+ years though. I have laughed my arrse off watching this fool.
2 users like this post:
Old 08-11-2020, 09:49 PM   #215
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Old 08-11-2020, 10:53 PM   #216
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Whats this I hear about, if the court cases have merit and Biden can't be inaugurated in Jan because its still ongoing, then the speaker of the house acts as the President?!?!? Talk about a double whammy for Donald if that is accurate...
I'm reasonably sure that it isn't accurate.

As i read the electoral law for the president of the USA, it follows the following procedure in the case of a contested election.

Firstly: The election is conducted by each of the states - and there are fifty of them. The law in each state is different from all of the others, at least in some regard. For example the margin to allow a recount is a differing percentage of the total votes cast in different states. In fact some states do not allow a contender to claim a recount - one might be done if the margin falls below a stated figure.

Secondly: If a contender wishes to take an issue into a courtroom then then it needs to be lodged in an appropriate lower court in the state where a the claimant feels a case exists. Where it fails the claimant can appeal to a higher court in the state where the original claim was made. Eventually it will ascend the the states' highest court. If it fails there then the claimant can appeal to SCOTUS (Supreme Court of the United States).Note that the argument has to be about a particular infringement, ranging from a single vote being contested as being invalid up to wide ranging electoral fraud in such numbers as to make a difference to the total of the votes tallied to alter the outcome in that state.

Now, whilst all of this is going on the states are finalising their counts and directing the members of their Electoral College as to how their votes should be directed, which must be done by a date in early December. If this can not be done, for example because the governor of a state and the legislature of a state send different electors to the voting event (and a number of states have different coloured governors and legislatures) then the newly assembled House of Representatives are called upon to resolve the matter and they will vote about it in early January after they are sworn in. But even here it is not straightforward. Each of the states gets a vote and this is not based on the number of congressmen that a state has, so if there are more red states than blue states then a republican contender will be elected and vice versa.

If it should happen that the states are evenly split, then, I suspect, this is where SCOTUS gets to step in. And the fact that there are six right of centre justices to 3 left of centre might be the deciding factor. But I would hope their decision might be based upon the will of the electors rather than bias. Since, so far as I know, it has not happened previously there is no precedent to guide them. My research hasn't indicated a legal reason for them to go one way or the other.

So far as I can tell, the majority leader of the House of Representatives does not get into the act in these circumstances. That appears to only happen if both the President and the Vice President are unable to properly carry out the duties of the Office of President. Until January 20 President Trump is the man unless incapable, then it would be Vice President Pence.

All this being said, there is one thing that is quite clear and is stated expicitly in the Constitution. That is that the current term of President Trump ends at midday on January 20, 2021. You can workout for yourselves who it might be that gets sworn in as the President of the USA after that time.

And you thought that our preferential voting system was complicated

HA!

Cheers

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

3 users like this post:
Old 08-11-2020, 11:04 PM   #217
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanD View Post
I'm reasonably sure that it isn't accurate.

As i read the electoral law for the president of the USA, it follows the following procedure in the case of a contested election.
Nice one. Makes sense. In this instance it is probably a good thing that each state has control over their own counts. If there is a fault in one state, at least its contained within that state. Imagine if they had a federal AEC type body, and it was found that there was a systemic processing error, it would put all states in doubt. Repeat election?

Regarding speaker of the house stepping in as an interim, I am 90% sure it was mentioned on one of the US TV networks, but I can't recall which one.
Old 08-11-2020, 11:11 PM   #218
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What if there was a Nancy Pelosi presidency? | COMMENTARY

https://www.baltimoresun.com/opinion...kji-story.html

Some relevant bits pulled out, but obviously left out lots in between which I'm not sure if it makes any difference to the meaning.

"The second scenario results from an uncertain disputed or deadlocked electoral outcome. Here’s a simplified analysis of that very convoluted process."

blah blah blah

"On Jan. 20 is the presidential inauguration, but if the House fails to select a president by then, the law requires the vice president to elect to become acting president until the House selects the president. If, however, the Senate has failed to select a vice president and the House has not elected a president, under the Presidential Succession Act, the Speaker of the House becomes acting president. It is this scenario — if the Electoral College, Senate, and House end up with total institutional deadlock — that would elevate Speaker Pelosi to acting president of the country."
Old 08-11-2020, 11:23 PM   #219
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:

Some relevant bits pulled out, but obviously left out lots in between which I'm not sure if it makes any difference to the meaning.

"The second scenario results from an uncertain disputed or deadlocked electoral outcome. Here’s a simplified analysis of that very convoluted process."

blah blah blah

"On Jan. 20 is the presidential inauguration, but if the House fails to select a president by then, the law requires the vice president to elect to become acting president until the House selects the president. If, however, the Senate has failed to select a vice president and the House has not elected a president, under the Presidential Succession Act, the Speaker of the House becomes acting president. It is this scenario — if the Electoral College, Senate, and House end up with total institutional deadlock — that would elevate Speaker Pelosi to acting president of the country."
I think Trump will be asked by family & members of his own team to concede defeat in the next 48 hours as this has been rumoured.

Last edited by Itsme; 08-11-2020 at 11:41 PM.
Old 08-11-2020, 11:36 PM   #220
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

blah blah blah

Ouch!!

I don't get to read the Baltimore Sun so this one escaped my attention.

All I have to say is if you want a convoluted process that leads to confusion then get legal minds involved.

Thanks for the link.

I don't think it will get this far. With modern communications and the expressions of congratulations from many of the allies of the USA towards Biden, I'm thinking only a senseless idiot would be prepared to push things to that extreme.

But I acknowledge that I have been wrong before and no doubt will be again.

Cheers

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

2 users like this post:
Old 09-11-2020, 08:18 AM   #221
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Oopps.................

https://www.news.com.au/world/north-...78874565749f85
2 users like this post:
Old 09-11-2020, 08:33 AM   #222
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
You just couldnt make this stuff up, I feel a bit for Rudy, a once (from over here anyway) seemingly respected guy now looks like a bad B grade actor from a second rate Mafia film.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 09-11-2020, 08:39 AM   #223
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I commend their grit, for going through with it.
3 users like this post:
Old 09-11-2020, 08:48 AM   #224
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Supporting local businesses
2 users like this post:
Old 09-11-2020, 08:51 AM   #225
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Where’s Borat, when he’s needed?
2 users like this post:
Old 09-11-2020, 09:00 AM   #226
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Where’s Borat, when he’s needed?
Giuliani 🤣
3 users like this post:
Old 09-11-2020, 09:10 AM   #227
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post
Giuliani 🤣
I had respect for him and the way he handled the 9/11 attack, but now he is just another Trump ****er
5 users like this post:
Old 09-11-2020, 09:33 AM   #228
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I can’t think of too many Australian politicians (and their lackeys) who’d follow through once they realised the scale of such an error:

Old 09-11-2020, 10:02 AM   #229
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I can’t think of too many Australian politicians (and their lackeys) who’d follow through once they realised the scale of such an error:

No reverse gear hey, the inability to say we made a mistake, lets readdress and fix is not a weakness but a strength!
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
3 users like this post:
Old 09-11-2020, 10:29 AM   #230
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Trump's ego will NEVER allow him to admit defeat
2 users like this post:
Old 09-11-2020, 10:51 AM   #231
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
I think Trump will be asked by family & members of his own team to concede defeat in the next 48 hours as this has been rumoured.
If he truly believes there is fraud, then he should follow through. Citizens of the US deserve to know one way or another. It would be unfair to keep claiming fraud but not have it go through the judicial system. That would basically invalidate the Biden presidency for nearly half the population.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57
Trump's ego will NEVER allow him to admit defeat
I think you are right. Although I am quite surprised at how quickly the TV networks and leaders all around the world have cemented Biden's presidency. I would have thought they would wait until this week to see what comes out of the legal submissions.
Old 09-11-2020, 10:59 AM   #232
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I think you are right. Although I am quite surprised at how quickly the TV networks and leaders all around the world have cemented Biden's presidency. I would have thought they would wait until this week to see what comes out of the legal submissions.
most are confident that the courts will throw out his claims, like they already have once or is it twice since the election

It is like ScoMo saying the AEC is fraudulent and don't know what they are doing Trump needs to get into the real world
2 users like this post:
Old 09-11-2020, 11:00 AM   #233
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:

Which makes it very hard for any court to overturn it. Imagine if they did... What would happen if the courts invalidated 3 state results (even if they were right to do so)... Would be a disaster to the USA

Personally I think that any judge would be looking for a reason to reject the appeals now.
Old 09-11-2020, 11:03 AM   #234
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
If he truly believes there is fraud, then he should follow through. Citizens of the US deserve to know one way or another. It would be unfair to keep claiming fraud but not have it go through the judicial system. That would basically invalidate the Biden presidency for nearly half the population.
Trump is playing his own game of bluff as usual; the man himself is a fraud.
He is just acting like a rich spoilt brat not getting his own way and in the end will look like one big douchebag, come to think of it he is a douchebag.
3 users like this post:
Old 09-11-2020, 11:23 AM   #235
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

The incumbent is still “winning” because a majority of the chatter revolves around him (his brand, by his name) rather than parties or country.
Old 09-11-2020, 11:47 AM   #236
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How can he hold his head high after this little tanty

He needs to hand in his man-card

Will he still get the respect of the Nation like past Presidents?
Old 09-11-2020, 11:51 AM   #237
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is a concept of onus of proof. In litigation, law says that one party has to prove something, and if they do to the required level; then the onus shifts to the other party.

Problem with USA is Trump says there is fraud and the election was stolen-lots of bad things happened etc, and the uneducated dullard Republican members believe this and in their reality think it is up to the Democrats to somehow prove that this did not occur.

An Australian journalist best summed Trump up, he is a Narcissist who lives in his own reality, he was an actor who played a role in a reality tv show which was not reality by an unreality.

He makes up his own reality- and his dullard believers of his reality believed him- even regarding the Pandemic, and accepting his reality did not wear masks, and fell ill, including Trump's team including himself, Meadows, and now some 240,000 Americans dead.

Trump did not create the source of divsion in the USA and deep rooted resentments, he is a rat who smells things and simply opened the tops of all the rubbish bins to mine these veins of deep division and hatred that were already there.

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
6 users like this post:
Old 09-11-2020, 12:06 PM   #238
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Trump stated he would leave the country if he lost the election.

He'll be looking for a new home to lead soon.

Hopefully we are too far down the page to be noticed.
Old 09-11-2020, 12:18 PM   #239
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post

He'll be looking for a new home to lead soon..
he can take Clive palmer to this new place with him

Trmpty Dumpty promised a wall
Trumpty Dumpty had a great fall
and all the golf corses
and the perzs white men
just couldnt make
America great in the end

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
2 users like this post:
Old 09-11-2020, 12:56 PM   #240
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post

He'll be looking for a new home to lead soon.

Hopefully we are too far down the page to be noticed.
Maybe he could move to the countries that hollywood celebrities said they would move to, if trump became president back in 2016.

Funny how none of them did.
3 users like this post:
Closed Thread