Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 11-09-2011, 03:07 PM   #211
zdcol71
zdcol71

Default Re: Who Here Has Quit Smoking And how???`

[QUOTE=pottery beige]
Quote:
Originally Posted by landau460
Sso true i had many half assed pill n patch attempts over the years and the only one that worked was cold turkey and actually 'wanting to give up'...
Best advice any one can be given..decide that you actually want to give up smoking (and yes there are 1 million reasons to make that decision so much easier), then it's easy.
4 and a half years for me now, and just so glad I decided "I just don't want to smoke"
Old 12-09-2011, 09:47 AM   #212
vibe_xr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
ya knuckle head.. lol..
Also worked out today i spend $175 on smokes every 2 weeks so im starting to work my head around smoking
Old 12-09-2011, 10:06 AM   #213
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

I work as a Crime Scene Investigator, and used to smoke. I'd smoke a pack a day, for 20 years.

I found I was going to investigate a lot of dead bodies, that were in their 40's and they ALL had overflowing ashtrays

That scared me off the smokes, I'm in a much better place, now! I can beat my 14yo in a bike race!

YOU HAVE TO WANT TO QUIT!

Edit... I used the patches, according to their instructions, and have not smoked in 6 years

2016 Ford Falcon FG/X XR6 Turbo you beaut ute
1985 XR4Ti Sierra - Build Thread
1971 Fairlane 500
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Captain Stubing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2011, 05:37 PM   #214
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

woke up this morning with chest pains and coughed up a bit of blood..that scared the **** out of me only being 20! threw the near on full pack i had straight in the trash..
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2011, 05:39 PM   #215
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0
woke up this morning with chest pains and coughed up a bit of blood..that scared the **** out of me only being 20! threw the near on full pack i had straight in the trash..
That'll do it... hope you stay off the nasty things mate. Every time you want a smoke, think about coughing up that blood and how it made you feel.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:17 PM   #216
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_The_Win
That'll do it... hope you stay off the nasty things mate. Every time you want a smoke, think about coughing up that blood and how it made you feel.
Sure does mate, feel pretty repulsed by them at the moment, just hope it stays like that!
Old 12-09-2011, 07:33 PM   #217
MAV50L
Banned

I am on the Champix and had my first full no smoke day today.
Was hard being at work and I must admit I struggled but I made it in the end.
Fingers crossed I can keep it up.
MAV50L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2011, 04:31 PM   #218
THE CADBURY KID

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0
Had this happen to a mate,he was hitting the alcohol pretty hard and after he got the stomach ulcer pills he just kept on going.
20 seems a bit young to have lung cancer though?
Been to the docs yet?
THE CADBURY KID is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2011, 05:28 PM   #219
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAV50L
I am on the Champix and had my first full no smoke day today.
Was hard being at work and I must admit I struggled but I made it in the end.
Fingers crossed I can keep it up.
My old girl quit on that after 30 years smoking! If she can, so can you.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2011, 08:56 PM   #220
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE02
Had this happen to a mate,he was hitting the alcohol pretty hard and after he got the stomach ulcer pills he just kept on going.
20 seems a bit young to have lung cancer though?
Been to the docs yet?
Not yet mate, wed morning was the earliest appointment i could get..
Old 15-09-2011, 03:04 PM   #221
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Gave up cold turkey on Melbourne Cup Day 2008... 3 years down this year...

Never looked back... Don't know how I did it for so long...

Or how I could AFFORD it???
Old 15-09-2011, 03:05 PM   #222
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibe_xr6
Also worked out today i spend $175 on smokes every 2 weeks so im starting to work my head around smoking
So basically - over 10 years you're looking at about $45k....

Think of what you could spend that on???
Old 15-09-2011, 04:52 PM   #223
Thornie
Off smelting

12 months next month, had one smoke at my mates while i was on holidays and it tasted like ****. dont want one again.
Thornie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 02:16 AM   #224
GhiaGal
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSTED-AU
Hey guys who here has quit smoking and how, ive been trying to quit for some time now and just cant : But i want to cause the money i spend on smokes i could pay off a xr6/8/gt, ive tryed just about everything, from champix to patches,

and body got any ideas?
Around15 years ago the Quit people had a pack they sent out which is VERY different to what seems to be out now.I'll try and recall what worked for me Firstly- continue smoking as usual except put a folded up piece of paper on top of your ciggie pack wrapped around with a rubber band. Any time you light up, write it down on said piece of paper and note down time of day and why you lit up- this is a bit of CBT; you;re able to see what your triggers are for a puff. Also, the removing of the paper and rubber band is a habit on top of a habit so you become aware of how S%&tty it is to actually light up. It's also helpful to look back at your 'log' so you know your triggers.

After a week or two keep smoking if you feel you want to/need to- except keep your smokes in the house in the laundry or under the sink or in the garage near the chemicals that you use for cleaning etc instead of on the table/benchtop. Grab some chewy or mints to have on hand ALWAYS! (Remember how you used to have cigs on hand always? Having mouth fresheners is not just for the wusses and, trust me, anyone with nice breath is a bonus in so many ways-you'll see what I mean when it happens

After another week if you feel you want to/need to keep smoking do so except use the OPPOSITE hand and smoke with the ciggie between the pinkie and ring finger. At this point in time you will want to put all ashtrays outside. (This gives you an idea of how long ago I did this- everyone smoked indoors lol). If you already have your Ashtray outside, put it somewhere different IE near the letterbox.

Depending on how you're going, by this preceding week if you feel you want to/ need to smoke make sure you smoke only STANDING UP (harder than it sounds)- with opposite hand-after getting the fags from the chemical storage part of your house-and outside.

When you wake up in the mornings even if you feel you want to/need to smoke-have a good 'old mans' cappuccino machine sounding phlegm and booger cleanse before you light up.

If you have the finances (by week 5-6, 7-8), get a couple of massage sessions,and if that's not up your alley then try some acupuncture.....if that's not up your alley then work on the car after you spent about $17 bux(cost of a pack of durries) at Auto Barn/Supa Cheap/Bunnings etc- SLOW and relaxing window cleaning or something repetitive AND meditative. ENJOY how you feel and take it in and remember it. Also, sounds Du'h, but remember to breathe In with the nose and out through the mouth.

I remember all this but there's probably more.!!

Important thing to note- don't think about 'giving up' smoking cigs- giving up can mean sacrifice, which can mean losing something and psychologically us humans don't like to feel we are losing anything......remember that you're not losing chemical crap inhalations but you're GAINING-gaining health, gaining car dosh, gaining kick *** habit changing behaviour, gaining yummo taste and smell, gaining a really cool mind set. At any stage( whenever you feel you're there) you can start referring to yourself as "no thanks, I don't smoke'.

P.S- If you have mental health issues stay away from the Champix- <---not being smart wit ya! I have Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and my doctor refused to put me on the tablets....he actually said they would do more harm than good.

As usual I did an essay for a post lol, but I wish you all the best! Let us know how you're going!
Old 18-09-2011, 10:47 PM   #225
BigAlsFGXR6

I smoked for about 8 years,
Loved it, especially when i was pis*ed, or even after the ol peace pipe .

But, i always felt like crap, breathless, coughed all of the time, cost me a fortune and knowing they really are bad for you ... i started not enjoying them after a while. One day i was out the front of work, i had 11 smokes left, and while smoking one of them, i was looking at the packet, thinking "no more", i handed the paket to my mate. And that was it.

I beleive that; if you want to quit smoking, you got to want to. And you must have enough will power to do it, relying on patches and gum etc, might help, but without the self determination, its gunna make it alot harder for you.

Hope it works out for you mate, because i feel heaps better without smoking, and the feeling of being able to jog, kick the footy around & playing with my boy is just amazing, energy and stanima come back!

Not to mention food! wow i forgot what some food tastes like ... !
BigAlsFGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2011, 05:41 PM   #226
kaniSS
BIG MEMBER ;)

If you have the will too pick up your pack of full ciggies, look at it and scrunch it up untill all smokes are broken, then throw it in the bin and say I'm quitting you can do it.

Just don't go through the bin looking for them afterwards.

If you can't do this and you want to quit you will never quit.