Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-03-2015, 06:40 PM   #181
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Default Re: Clarkson Suspended by BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
They could have put the producer in question on paid leave so he didn't have to interact with Clarkson until the series was over, or shift him to another show.
That is just plain Stupid.

Work place bullying is unacceptable in any form.

Allowing that boorish egotistical fool Ckarkson to "win" would have been just wrong.

Good riddance to bad rubbish I say, that show has run its course.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2015, 06:44 PM   #182
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
They absolutely cannot do that, that is punishing the victim and he could seek damages.
As opposed to cancelling the show before you've concluded your investigation? Either way, the producer's not working. Instead, they cancel the show before they have the facts....
b0son is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2015, 06:53 PM   #183
Tokyo Geoff
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I vote Larko to take over from JC

1974 XB Sedan, 1974 XB Hardtop, 1991 EA Ghia (New to 430,000km), 2004 BA Fairmont, 2009 FG XR8, 2014 FGX G6ET, 2016 FGX Sprint XR6 and now...
Tokyo Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-03-2015, 06:54 PM   #184
nstg8a

Quote:
As opposed to cancelling the show before you've concluded your investigation? Either way, the producer's not working. Instead, they cancel the show before they have the facts....
How do you keep doing a show when key members are involved in an assault?

If you were at work, and a senior staff member assaulted you, would you happy to work alongside them while it was investigated?
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-03-2015, 07:00 PM   #185
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:

That idiot Clarkson self reported.

That requires an immediate suspension.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2015, 07:02 PM   #186
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
If you were at work, and a senior staff member assaulted you, would you happy to work alongside them while it was investigated?
I'd happily take leave while it was sorted out, I can see the bigger picture and know that there are a whole bunch of people dependent on that workplace continuing to function, not just me. I wouldn't expect the workplace to be shut down prior to having the facts, and nor would I expect them to sack the CEO without a workable backup plan.
Old 26-03-2015, 07:08 PM   #187
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I read somewhere, don't ask me where, that Netflix are looking at picking them up, hope it's true...
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2015, 07:13 PM   #188
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
I'd happily take leave while it was sorted out, I can see the bigger picture and know that there are a whole bunch of people dependent on that workplace continuing to function, not just me. I wouldn't expect the workplace to be shut down prior to having the facts, and nor would I expect them to sack the CEO without a workable backup plan.
No you wouldn't. I've dealt with this as a manager. It isn't pleasant for the person on the receiving end.

Imagine being in a team and told to stay away after being hit so we don't upset the rest of the team dynamic. You'd be devastated. The manager would never let it happen, nor would HR or legal.
Old 26-03-2015, 08:38 PM   #189
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

You guys seem to be frothing at the mouth in your anti Clarkson rhetoric but do you at least acknowledge that it might, at least in some part, be a set up by Clarkson himself?

He wanted out because the BBC were vetoing too many of the things the boys wanted to do and were starting to try and control what was going on a little too much for his liking.
So he just starts in on the niggles and the off jokes and gets the slap on the wrist, then the warning, then the written warning etc... can you see where this is going. Then at just the right time he offloads his stake in the show, ( for a very nice payout), and then ramps up the provocation till he gets a final warning. Then the incident that finally forces them to act. THEN, after a week of indecision by the BBC and maybe looking like they may not sack him after all, just sanction him and not renew his contract at the end, what does he do?, he goes out to a charity event and stands up in front of a crowd and slags off the entire management of the BBC just to make sure they have no other choice but to dump him immediately or lose all credibility. Don't tell me that wasn't a strategic move.

And before you all go off and flame me, I'm not siding with JC or condoning what he's done, I'm just pointing out the events and joining the dots. In fact, I agree with most of the things that he's been labeled with, he's bombastic, a boor, a bully, arrogant, ignorant......blah, blah, blah, etc.,etc., but he is a smart man and a shrewd operator, and I still maintain he's orchestrated this whole thing to come out smelling like roses and put himself in a better bargaining position for his next project.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 26-03-2015, 08:52 PM   #190
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher View Post
You guys seem to be frothing at the mouth in your anti Clarkson rhetoric but do you at least acknowledge that it might, at least in some part, be a set up by Clarkson himself?
"I want out of my contract so I'll just belt the producer" Makes it worse doesn't it??

If his contract was up for renewal then there is no reason to carry on, all he has to do is just say "No Thanks" when they want to renew.
Old 26-03-2015, 09:06 PM   #191
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

That all depends on whether he's entitled to walk away clean or if there's some clause in his contract that says if he quits there's some kind of punitive judgment that goes against him.

For example, if he is entitled to residuals from the 10 years worth of shows he's done then there might be a clause that says if he quits he forfeits the residuals or part ther of, but if he's sacked they have to keep paying. In that scenario it would be worth millions and well worth making sure you were sacked.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Old 26-03-2015, 09:27 PM   #192
Cashie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Multiple helpful contributions throughout the tech area. 

Quote:

He wanted out because the BBC were vetoing too many of the things the boys wanted to do and were starting to try and control what was going on a little too much for his liking.
So he just starts in on the niggles and the off jokes and gets the slap on the wrist, then the warning, then the written warning etc... can you see where this is going. Then at just the right time he offloads his stake in the show, ( for a very nice payout), and then ramps up the provocation till he gets a final warning. Then the incident that finally forces them to act. THEN, after a week of indecision by the BBC and maybe looking like they may not sack him after all, just sanction him and not renew his contract at the end, what does he do?, he goes out to a charity event and stands up in front of a crowd and slags off the entire management of the BBC just to make sure they have no other choice but to dump him immediately or lose all credibility. Don't tell me that wasn't a strategic move.
His contract was already due and he had already offloaded his stake in Top Gear a while ago.
What's he got to gain from this?
He was already on 1.3 million pounds a season...
Sadly he was off the rails, had a bad divorce and was/is in melt down.

Past Rides:
2017 Kia Stinger GT
2008 FG XR6 Sedan
2008 FG G6E Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2008 BF XR6 Turbo Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2003 BA XR8 Ute
2003 BA XR6 Sedan
Cashie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2015, 09:47 PM   #193
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Offloading his stake is not the same as having entitlement to residuals from re-runs. The brain snap definitely was a bit extreme but that's not to say there isn't still an ulterior motive at play here. You have to wonder though, was the divorce the reason for the behavior or was the escalating behavior the reason for the divorce.

MINE- AUII Forte

Old 26-03-2015, 10:40 PM   #194
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashie View Post
Sadly he was off the rails, had a bad divorce and was/is in melt down.
Really? This is the first incident I recall of him abusing staff, let alone assaulting them. Your statement implies he's been lurching from one 'fracas' to another.
Old 26-03-2015, 10:49 PM   #195
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
Imagine being in a team and told to stay away after being hit so we don't upset the rest of the team dynamic.
For 2-3 weeks? While the investigation runs its course?

And team dynamic is understating it a bit. They cancelled the series, upcoming live shows. There are a whole lot more than one person affected by this.
Old 26-03-2015, 10:57 PM   #196
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Offloading his stake is not the same as having entitlement to residuals from re-runs. The brain snap definitely was a bit extreme but that's not to say there isn't still an ulterior motive at play here. You have to wonder though, was the divorce the reason for the behavior or was the escalating behavior the reason for the divorce.
you would have made a good detective bushy .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2015, 12:40 AM   #197
XW-BAXR6T

Possible replacement if he can sing...

Nick.
XW-BAXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2015, 12:44 AM   #198
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XW-BAXR6T View Post
Possible replacement if he can sing...
Not being able to hold a note shouldn't be a problem.

No Autotune, no Boy Band !
Old 27-03-2015, 10:30 AM   #199
msman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
you would have made a good detective bushy .
instantly had the law&order theme start playing when i read this.

surely though the contract would null any further payments if he is fired due to inappropriate behavior??
msman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2015, 11:07 AM   #200
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

I'd suggest, if there is any clause based on residuals, that it would have to be exactly the opposite. If he jumps and effectively torpedos the show then he'd forfeit the residuals as compensation in effect, but if he's pushed then it's not his fault the show sinks. I'd also speculate that at the time of writing, management wouldn't have dreamed that he would deliberately sabotage the cash cow he helped create so no provision for that contingency would have been written into the contract.

He wanted out, so set the ball in motion there, but his marrage went out the window so he's getting more and more beligerent and his window to get himself sacked was closing. Taking all that into account, he's looking for any excuse he can justify to create a sacking offence and it just happened that the producer inadvertantly gave him the perfect opportunity. I've no doubt the brain snap was unintentional and was probably a genuine emotional outburst but at some point he's realised it was the perfect sacking event to let rip under the guise of being stressed out over a bad divorce or some such excuse and ran with it. Remember, he was the one who reported himself to make sure the ***** hit the fan, and then when all the speculation came out that the BBC might not sack him what did he do, he went to a charity event and took aim at BBC management and let rip ensuring the BBC had no choice but to sack him.

No, there's more going on here than anyone on the outside knows and I'd put money down that JC had some kind of very good incentive to be sacked rather than walk away.

Here's a good conspiracy theory for ya.. JC has engineered all this so that if and when Top Gear folds, JC can buy the rights back and crank it up all over again, A-LA the Kerry Packer/Alan Bond Channel 9 sale. Packer sold 9 to bond for a pocket full of cash then bought it back at for a fraction of what Bondy paid him for it, after it crashed. Packer saw Bondy coming and rolled him good and proper.
In the end JC get's his baby back at a bargain price free of the BBC overlords and with a nice chunk of change in his back pocket to boot.

MINE- AUII Forte

Last edited by Bushbasher; 27-03-2015 at 11:13 AM.
4 users like this post:
Old 27-03-2015, 11:46 AM   #201
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

^ not sure if Clarkson is that smart, however the BBC is quite stupid. This scenario may eventuate only because of the BBC's culture and management. The BBC is a quasi government entity which gets most of its funding by sucking off the public teat, much like our hopeless and bloated ABC the BBC never has to face commercial reality which is why it was prepared to kill Top Gear.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2015, 11:56 AM   #202
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So let me get this right, this is the guy behind all the fuss?

ford71V8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2015, 12:09 PM   #203
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

MINE- AUII Forte

Old 27-03-2015, 12:23 PM   #204
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
^ not sure if Clarkson is that smart, however the BBC is quite stupid. This scenario may eventuate only because of the BBC's culture and management. The BBC is a quasi government entity which gets most of its funding by sucking off the public teat, much like our hopeless and bloated ABC the BBC never has to face commercial reality which is why it was prepared to kill Top Gear.
What a load of bloody garbage!
Old 27-03-2015, 12:54 PM   #205
TRAU BLAU

Everybody is racist.Even towards their own race.

Last edited by TRAU BLAU; 27-03-2015 at 01:00 PM.
TRAU BLAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2015, 12:55 PM   #206
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just heard on the morning news he got offered a job on a Russian state owned tv channel that promotes the military.

I wonder if it's the same channel my old man watches should be interesting what they say on the Russian news about this as Russian is my first language and I watch the news with my old man from time to time. See what the Russian papers will write about this they will exaggerate it to the fullest
Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2015, 12:58 PM   #207
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

We will see...
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2015, 01:32 PM   #208
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boza View Post
Just heard on the morning news he got offered a job on a Russian state owned tv channel that promotes the military.

I wonder if it's the same channel my old man watches should be interesting what they say on the Russian news about this as Russian is my first language and I watch the news with my old man from time to time. See what the Russian papers will write about this they will exaggerate it to the fullest
Is it Russia Today (RT) by any chance? Its a state owned news channel, its on Foxtel now for some odd reason.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2015, 01:34 PM   #209
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boza View Post

I can just picture him on RT... "Top Gearski, hosted by Jeremy Clarksonovskii!"
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 27-03-2015, 03:16 PM   #210
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

we put the moscovitch through it paces ?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: