Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 30-12-2013, 01:36 PM   #151
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Re: FG FPV GT Rspec vs VF HSV GTS by MOTOR Mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped View Post
I think the main problem for the Falcon is the chassis / body.
Wasn't the firewall breaking(cracking) when they were testing the intercooled version (more powerful) of the Miami?

Slightly off topic but do we know for sure (100%) that the new XR8 will even be supercharged ?
Where the firewall meets the floor. It was already beefed up for the 335 versions and needed further strengthening for the intercooled version, which neither FPV or Ford wanted to fit the bill for, because it would require further crash testing which costs millions.

XR8 will be supercharged, I can confirm that.
7 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2013, 01:53 PM   #152
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 

You know what's fun? Coming into a thread like this and just reading the last post and knowing what has been said in the numerous posts before it, without reading them
This user likes this post:
Old 30-12-2013, 02:09 PM   #153
BHDOGS
Banned

holden won the battle but lost the war i look forward to the mustang v8 vs holden 4 cyclinder front wheel drive comparison in future? Even if gm bring another v8 of some other brand here it wont ever be a holden so id say holdens down the shitter right where it belongs.
2 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2013, 02:32 PM   #154
Chopped
as in chopped

Mustang is not Aussie like a Falcon ( just saying )

Falcon and Commodore are uniquely ours.
Old 30-12-2013, 02:53 PM   #155
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Where the firewall meets the floor.
That's actually not good because if memory serves me correctly, the entire engine bay box, firewall and forward rails are married up to the floor and passenger cell as one unit, meaning that that entire front section could be moving under that sort of stress.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Old 30-12-2013, 03:38 PM   #156
701let

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorted View Post
Oops I edited my comment out that I only care about straight line speed - not around corners

I meant same tyres on the FPV GT Rspec for 0-100 and 1/4 mile
Extractors, tune, and pulley upgrade and your running 10s in a gts.
On street tyres.

That enough straight line for you?
Old 30-12-2013, 04:00 PM   #157
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 701let View Post
On street tyres.

How did same tyres get to add extractors, tune, and pulley although I know you love the GTS seeing as most of your 6 posts on here are about the 10 sec passes

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
2 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2013, 04:08 PM   #158
40RDT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
On street tyres.

Is that the Active Automotive GTS?
Old 30-12-2013, 04:11 PM   #159
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40RDT View Post
Is that the Active Automotive GTS?
Yes see below

Quote:
Originally Posted by 701let
Look up Eddie Tassone from Active Automotive. Ran a 10.95 in a gts with extractors, pulley upgrade and tune..... On stock rubber......
Quote:
Originally Posted by 701let

Active Automotive GTS..Tuned.. Pod intake... 10% Overdrive Ligenfelter Balancer.. Headers / hi-flow cats / exhaust... 641hp.... Best time, on OEM Street Tyres .. 10.4

obviously autos are the way to go.

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Old 30-12-2013, 05:03 PM   #160
Blue Roo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
On street tyres.

Gee. Even I can put a Performance Package on my F6 and run 10s on Street Tyres too. But remember I've got 2 less cylinders than you and still just as quick as you.

Is That now enough Straight Line Power for you?
6 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2013, 05:13 PM   #161
40RDT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

delete please
Old 30-12-2013, 05:20 PM   #162
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Std Extractors, tune, and no pulley upgrade and your running 10s in a GT.
On street tyres ....... and still come in 20k cheaper than a GTS

Fixed it for you .........

(Even though the street tyre thing is stretching it a bit ...... )

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
3 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2013, 05:29 PM   #163
40RDT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^^ You mean slicks or drag radials not factory tyres though yeah?

Last edited by 40RDT; 30-12-2013 at 05:37 PM.
Old 30-12-2013, 05:32 PM   #164
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockape View Post
Imagine if Ford turned up the boost, intercooler, oversized brakes the hole shooting match on the new XR8. HSV gets beaten at the post by a Budget priced Falcon. Ford win.
Yes yes I know it will never happen.
It probably still wouldn't see which way the GTS went to be honest. The Holden is so much better because of where the weight is put, I believe. The V8 Falcon suffers at the pointy end, this is clear driving a six cylinder over the V8, the six points so much better and has more control at the front. I have heard reports from mates that do some work at the proving grounds that the 4-cylinder Falcon handles amazingly well, it wouldn't surprise me if at a circuit like Broadford over one lap the 4-cylinder Falcon on equal rubber could be quicker than a GT to be honest... It is not a power track.

If the GTS whopped the R SPec at Broadford, which has no real fast curves at all, no real long bends to feed power in at all, well okay turn one sort of perhaps, a little, by 3 seconds on a track that short, on most proper tracks, say P.I. or Eastern Creek the gap will in all likelihood be more than double that, like say half the main straight gap by the end of a single lap... And the fact the GTS has proper underpinnings and cooling systems etc. means that after that first lap the gap will just get bigger and bigger each lap.

I don't want to buy a GTS, but far out HSV look to have done an amazing job on this car.

Stuck in a car with Morley (he is not a bad fella really and does have a huge amount of knowledge going back decades) for a long drive a few weeks ago, he was also telling me that he reckoned even the VF SS was an inredibly impressive thing while we were talking cars. We mostly talked Valiants though :-)
5 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2013, 05:39 PM   #165
40RDT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Roo View Post
Gee. Even I can put a Performance Package on my F6 and run 10s on Street Tyres too. But remember I've got 2 less cylinders than you and still just as quick as you.

Is That now enough Straight Line Power for you?
To be fair I think you would need a bit more than just a few grand of basic bolt ons to run a 10 sec pass on standard tyres

Last edited by 40RDT; 30-12-2013 at 05:47 PM.
Old 30-12-2013, 05:52 PM   #166
HULK_I6T
Banned

I say FPV has done a damn fine job.

Look at it this way.. HSV always wanted to kick sand in the face of FPV/Tickford.

The Holden V8s eaily accounted for the e series windsor V8s.
The Ls1 destroyed every windsor every produced.

Then FPV came along and did a great job on the Turbo 6, BOSS 5.4 and then the 335 Boss. For once Holden/HSV had a worthy rival. By the time the Boss 335 / F6 was in production Holden / HSV was getting sand kicked in its face and didnt know what to do? Nothing was available powertrain wise which would fit the $65-70k price range.

Do we really think Holden/HSV wanted to build a $100k car? when 5 minutes later they announced they would be leaving our shores? lol

FPV built the F6/GT335 and kept them reasonably priced at $60-70k. Thats the most anyone is gonna pay for a Aussie Built car. Lets be Frank for around the $100k plus mark, you buy a Euro car not a Holden/HSV lol.

But with Holden HSV they built a car just to have the last say, who wants a $100k holden/HSV? Yes its the best aussie car built but they built it way above price wise that anyone will pay for it. Only the most one eyed die hard fan will buy this car, any sane reasonable man just wont buy it.

So FPV sure you didnt win the outright bragging rights but in the price range most consider tolerable for an Aussie car, you built us two firecrackers in the F6 and the GT335.

Holden/HSV couldnt do that.
4 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2013, 06:08 PM   #167
69XWGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge View Post
Do you realise that GM has paid all the money back now mate ?

What about Air New Zealand and Bank Of New Zealand, bailed out by the N.Z. Govt, just because XYZ company got into trouble and ABC company didn't isn't especially relevant years down the track, well not to me anyway.
Pretty ******* easy when you can wind up the company under chapter 11 owing more than a hundred billion and start up debt free.
Old 30-12-2013, 06:37 PM   #168
XBGTFGGTP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Nor will they - the brand is being killed off and there's no money anyway. I think that's what ****** people off the most. The last hurrah from each company, and the GTS was the better car. HSV won.
Yes the HIV offering has goodies in it and is better than our cars, but at least our cars were designed and built within a budget. Carrying on about ford not doing this and that is simply crazy as there was no budget to develope it further. And to be fair for the amount of money they had it's not too bad.

Imagine the outcry if Ford had wasted more $$ making the Falcon better but ended up falling over completely in Aus. At least Ford Aus will have vehicles that are Fords and It's easy to make the best thing in the world when your not paying for it.

XA GT Manual
XBGT Manual
XC GXL
1982 XE S-Pac V8
2011 F6 Velvet
2011 GT Manual Black/Gold
2020 GT500KR
FG-X Sprint
F150 Shelby
2 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2013, 07:26 PM   #169
shaness8

Don't know why they compared the GT R spec to the GTS given the price difference, would have thought the Clubsport R8 be a better comparison.
Old 30-12-2013, 07:27 PM   #170
fordv8!

well I reckon if the 5.0 can get that close to a 6.2 that's great, I know the gts would win on the track but I couldn't care less. GT with 15K on suspension would fix that, but for a factory offering the gts is a beast but still look like crap IMO and I for one would never entertain the idea of buying anything gmh.
4 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2013, 08:33 PM   #171
OCTANEBOSS

Quote:
On street tyres.

How fast does it go backwards & can you use the park assist function on the 1/4 mile... might buy one of these seeing I cant drive a car.
2 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2013, 08:45 PM   #172
Rodge
Banned

^^ Speaking of backwards, your avatar dog looks like he's about to take a dump, surely you have a better photo than that...look at my Skippy, he's a proud boy

Anyway back on topic, I reckon Trev's right on the money with the Phillip Island margin being probably considerably more, maybe around 6 seconds as there's plenty of opportunity on that high speed circut for the torque vectoring to work its majic, that and the adjustable suspension set to track mode and adjustable DSC set to maximum slip and the significant extra torque of the 6.2 motor would really do its stuff.

I wanted to dislike the GTS, I really did, but from a technical and engineering development point of view, (I really don't care how it was funded to be honest), I admire the work HSV have done with the car.

Many people will say, oh all that kit is only any good for the track, but I reckon you point that GTS at a good back country twisting road and you'd really appreciate the extra techincal kit just as much. The BMW M5 and M6 and E63 have a huge following amoungst motoring enthiusiasts around the world and this GTS while undoubtably not having the finesse or build quality of the Germans can certainly foot it with these cars in the performance and handling stakes, indeed even beat them marginally, and that Ladies and Gentlemen no matter how you slice and dice it, is a major accomplishment for a niche Australian producer.

Last edited by Rodge; 30-12-2013 at 09:00 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2013, 09:35 PM   #173
Angeldust

Amen...

Z series Clubsport HRT edition..
e46 320ci 2.2ltr Stocko
Old 30-12-2013, 10:21 PM   #174
BHDOGS
Banned

Let me be the first to say goodbye Holden hello mustang
2 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2013, 11:03 PM   #175
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hope they decide not to bring the Mustang, would be a poetic justice for some of you.
Old 30-12-2013, 11:23 PM   #176
dl86
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordv8! View Post
well I reckon if the 5.0 can get that close to a 6.2 that's great, I know the gts would win on the track but I couldn't care less. GT with 15K on suspension would fix that, but for a factory offering the gts is a beast but still look like crap IMO and I for one would never entertain the idea of buying anything gmh.
Not even. Shockworks coil over package for 2k and some decent tires and your set. Run some reverse rake to transfer some of the weight to the rear along with some front camber

I'll keep repeating my self as many times as I have to
FG MKII GT ZF, 444.8rwkw, 61mm YT snout, 1000cc injectors, 460lph fuel pump, big kpm intercooler, shockworks w/12kg front springs, SSR GTX01 18X9.5" +22 F/R, nizpro input shaft, 1pce 4" AL tailshaft, poly bushings all round, trutrac, headerback exhaust 3", whiteline sway bars, IMS diff hat, herrod spark booster, Alpine R type speakers/Alpine R type 2x12" ported subs/Pioneer GM-D9601/8604 amps and other bits
2 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2013, 11:24 PM   #177
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

To me since VZ & especially VE, HSV stopped being special & more or less became cookie cutter cars.

They're designed to look Euro & well they just blend in like anything else these days.
Think back to VX & Y series they were designed to be wild, loud & definitely noticable as something special.(FG is guilty of this too to a smaller extent in comparison to BA/F, who remembers noticing all the blood orange GT's? I do!)

The VF goes further with this & I believe it is much worse.
People can scream out value & performance til their waffle turns blue, but I don't like the new HSV's not because of performance, value, features.....etc.

It's because in my opinion they all blend in, they don't look that special, they all look the same & they all look like Mazdas.

On the few occasions i've had the opportunity to see an FG R-spec in person with those stripes, bulge & exhaust note, i've noticed!
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
Old 30-12-2013, 11:28 PM   #178
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodX View Post
I hope they decide not to bring the Mustang, would be a poetic justice for some of you.
Have to ask ......... why?

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2013, 11:53 PM   #179
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

I'm not surprised at the outcome, the VF GTS has a 1.2 litre displacement advantage, intercooling, torque vectoring, blah blah blah.......................
Seriously you would expect it to be quicker. Ford/FPV have never had the luxury in the last 10 odd years to flick through a GM parts catalogue and ship whatever engines or bits that take their fancy.

I love underdogs, look what Tickford did to the old 5 litre Windsor by stroking it to 347, something unique in the Ford world, look at the Boss 5.4's, some people rekon there a boat anchor, mine ran 12.1's in street trim with only bolt ons and look at the supercharged 5.0 litre Miami, it gives away 1.2 litres in displacement and an intercooler or 2 to the crate motor thingy LS whatever you call it.

If you are going to crank some serious HP out of either engine my money would be on the Miami hanging together with it's stock factory forged internals than the non forged plasticine bottom end of the LS whatever you call it.

BTW, in a long term investment situation my $$$ would be on anything with a GT badge.
Old 31-12-2013, 01:58 AM   #180
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Opportunity knocks when parent has a LSA engine they can throw you that'll produce all the grunt you may wish for....kind of easy to focus your budget on the surrounding kit. BUT...that doesn't belittle the package. Just a better base to work with. And it all works as a package, half the exercise is in that. I need to define my position though, I still can't look at one and think it's visuals match the magic. I've seen a few and it's pretty typical of overzealous HSV 'look at me' overstyling. Of course while I bought a FG I still prefer the more 'together' BA/BF looks. If anything the plainer FG's (G6ET, F6E etc) are the ticket which show off it's styling best.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
2 users like this post:
Closed Thread