Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 09-11-2008, 03:59 PM   #151
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by benoxr
Whilst I agree with that, does it really have to be at my expense?
For example, we have had 3 reductions in interest rates recently.
.5%, 1.0% and .75%
As a result of those first 2 drops, my Credit Union in its wisdom has reduced my mortgage rate a total of .25% and then on 1st Dec will drop it another .63%.
I want them to stay viable too but I dont want to have to pay for that viability out of my own pocket. In the end, if they can't be competitive I'll jump ship and bad luck if they went under..
Competition is healthy, but exactly who do you think should make the banks profitable/viable? Of coarse it should be the customers..

Old 09-11-2008, 04:12 PM   #152
benoxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Of coarse it should be the customers..
I realise this, but information put out by the Govt for example incinuate that we should all be prepared to pay a bit more in mortgage rates (when though dont drop them the full amount) to help them stay viable throughout the forthcoming recession.
I can't see much point in me and my family losing our home just so the Credit Union can make more profit on top of their best year ever. But as you said, competition is healthy so I have been looking into giving them the flick even though that is a huge hassle in itself.

of course if all banks etc dont pass on the interest drops, we dont have much choice and thats not healthy competition
R.I.P. Jarrad 22/05/83 - 08/12/02
benoxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2008, 06:19 PM   #153
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by benoxr
But as you said, competition is healthy so I have been looking into giving them the flick even though that is a huge hassle in itself.

of course if all banks etc dont pass on the interest drops, we dont have much choice and thats not healthy competition
Bingo! Shop around, get the best deal, the ones that drop a bit more than the others will get more business... if the Banks colude the ACCC will be all over it. I seriously doubt they will though. Yes, competition is healthy!

Old 09-11-2008, 07:01 PM   #154
balthazarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Bingo! Shop around, get the best deal, the ones that drop a bit more than the others will get more business... if the Banks colude the ACCC will be all over it. I seriously doubt they will though. Yes, competition is healthy!
It may technically not be collusion, but isn't it convenient that the big four happen to have the same rates, and they just happen to reduce their rates by the same amount - surely all four can't have the same overheads?

Be very glad that we still have the 'four pillars'... though I suspect that will change in future. There has been talk of the big four merging to create the big two... with all of this financial turmoil, they may be able to convince the government to let them do it.

Competition is healthy... but it's still way too costly and time consuming to switch mortgagees. I believe the government is working on a scheme to make it easier and cheaper - I guess we'll have to wait and see what the outcome is.
balthazarr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2008, 09:00 PM   #155
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Hammer you're existing lender. If you're not getting 0.7% off the normal rate you're being screwed. Ring, ask for a payout and when they ask why, say because you're chasing a better rate.
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2008, 09:34 PM   #156
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death351
Hammer you're existing lender. If you're not getting 0.7% off the normal rate you're being screwed. Ring, ask for a payout and when they ask why, say because you're chasing a better rate.
This would be a good idea, but the break costs may be a lot more than the saving you will gain.

Some folk on the radio last week were saying that they would be up for $12-18K to switch lenders. (GE seemed to be mentioned a lot in these discussions)

Hardly worth it to save perhaps $100 a month.

If you have a largish variable loan over around 3 or 4 years old than the breaking costs are greatly reduced. I think my breaking fees are waived when the loan has reached 5 years.

And the problem is, the lender you're dealing with knows that 95% of the time a customer will bauk at the breaking fees, so trying to threaten that you will walk generally falls on deaf ears.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2008, 09:38 PM   #157
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
This would be a good idea, but the break costs may be a lot more than the saving you will gain.

Some folk on the radio last week were saying that they would be up for $12-18K to switch lenders. (GE seemed to be mentioned a lot in these discussions)

Hardly worth it to save perhaps $100 a month.

If you have a largish variable loan over around 3 or 4 years old than the breaking costs are greatly reduced. I think my breaking fees are waived when the loan has reached 5 years.

And the problem is, the lender you're dealing with knows that 95% of the time a customer will bauk at the breaking fees, so trying to threaten that you will walk generally falls on deaf ears.
The Govt has just introduced legislation prohibiting penalties for breaking variable rate loans i think, the only issue people face is breaking fixed term loans.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:58 PM   #158
XESP351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I fixed my rate at the start of the year at 7.94% which isn't too bad except that this was only valid for 3 months and since my construction loan started being drawn down after about 5 months from locking the rate, it reverted to the interest rate at the time which was....wait for it....9.25% fixed for five years. It would cost me more than $30k to break that fixed term which is hardly worth it. Its an unfortunate situation but one that many people are currently in. Luckily my loan is part variable part fixed.

One way to soften the blow though if you have part fixed part variable loan as i do is to change the fixed loan to 'interest only' which you can easily do for a small fee. Then you devote all your repayments on the variable portion and only make interest repayments on the fixed part. This will pay your variable a lot quicker and i may even be able to pay it off as the fixed portion matures and becomes variable then you only have to pay that off. My loan is one third variable and two thirds fixed.

That plan is what i was advised by the bank, and to me it makes sense and the best way to get the best out of a bad situation.
XESP351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2008, 01:14 AM   #159
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fixed rates are an interesting beast.
The bank determines the rate based on the probabilities of expected market movement.
Softened a little by the fact that they have a guaranteed income from you(the fixed percentage - assuming you meet and do not exceed your repayment obligations).

I am just a punter, the guys in the bank get paid the big bucks because they understand the economy, and have a good idea what rate movements might be like in the 3-5 year period .... not only that ... guess who sets the rates !

Generally it will only be to the customers' advantage when the bank's analysts get it wrong.
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2008, 01:28 PM   #160
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When is the next RBA meeting?

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2008, 02:02 PM   #161
balthazarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB076
When is the next RBA meeting?
2 December 08. The Board usually meet on the first Tuesday of each month, except January.

http://www.rba.gov.au/EventsDiary/calendar_2008.html
balthazarr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2008, 02:21 PM   #162
XWGT