Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

View Poll Results: Which is your favourite type of football?
Australian Rules 104 37.14%
Rugby League 75 26.79%
Rugby Union 30 10.71%
Soccer 47 16.79%
None of the above/I don't care about sport 24 8.57%
Voters: 280. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14-06-2006, 11:04 PM   #121
FordFan86
meow

Gahhh
My biggest gripe with AFL is they tackle like bloody sissies
"ohohohoh quick he's got the ball, there's a spark in his hair get it out get it out, oh i know, i'll grab his shirt and swing him around... we don't wanna hurt the poor ing pansy now do we?!"

Rugby (I was best tackler 3 yrs running) Around the ankles, they ain't going no where. Ankle tap, watch them eat grass. How about the good old neck and shoulder right into the mid section? now that's how you bring a man down. (Clotheslines are also good fun, righ up there with spear tackles haha)

& Something that shocked me one day. I was a big guy (100+kg and around 6ft at the time) a guy half my size picked me up and dumped me! faaaark the was an experience lol
FordFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2006, 11:21 PM   #122
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFan86
& Something that shocked me one day. I was a big guy (100+kg and around 6ft at the time) a guy half my size picked me up and dumped me! faaaark the was an experience lol
Was it your girth, the cologne, or poor choice of restaurant? :

Last edited by mcflux; 14-06-2006 at 11:32 PM.
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2006, 11:25 PM   #123
FordFan86
meow

HAHAHAHA told
dave u man whore get on msn
FordFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2006, 12:05 AM   #124
herbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFan86
Gahhh
My biggest gripe with AFL is they tackle like bloody sissies
"ohohohoh quick he's got the ball, there's a spark in his hair get it out get it out, oh i know, i'll grab his shirt and swing him around... we don't wanna hurt the poor ing pansy now do we?!"

Rugby (I was best tackler 3 yrs running) Around the ankles, they ain't going no where. Ankle tap, watch them eat grass. How about the good old neck and shoulder right into the mid section? now that's how you bring a man down. (Clotheslines are also good fun, righ up there with spear tackles haha)

Er..........tackling in Aussie Rules is a totally different proposition than the rugby codes. Rugby is predominantly straight up and down the field, while AFL is a fully 3 dimensional game with significantly more space, play some Aussie Rules and you'll find out for yourself. As for big hits, try getting hit into the boards in ice hockey. :
herbs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2006, 12:54 AM   #125
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I voted Aussie Rules. Its always been my favourite but it is changing slightly towards Soccer because Aussie rules is becoming so boring with running and kicking to uncontested marks. I dont class an uncontested mark as skill and I simply hate watching it whether its my team or any other. Totally boring in a game thats already lost its physical side. Ok so the smashed faces behind play that used to happen in the 70's and 80's had to be stopped but not all hard contests. If I want to watch skill Soccer is easily the most skillful game and AFL should not try to compete cause it will bite them mid to long term.
ED Classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2006, 09:32 AM   #126
DJR David
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED Classic
I voted Aussie Rules. Its always been my favourite but it is changing slightly towards Soccer because Aussie rules is becoming so boring with running and kicking to uncontested marks. I dont class an uncontested mark as skill and I simply hate watching it whether its my team or any other. Totally boring in a game thats already lost its physical side. Ok so the smashed faces behind play that used to happen in the 70's and 80's had to be stopped but not all hard contests. If I want to watch skill Soccer is easily the most skillful game and AFL should not try to compete cause it will bite them mid to long term.

Yes young Luke, come with me and cross to the dark side...... :evilsasmo

one more convert, go soccer, come and join the WORLD game
DJR David is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2006, 12:43 PM   #127
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

*cough*

/points up

"Score Board......Score Board"......
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2006, 05:27 PM   #128
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The world game by far... although Real gaelic football isnt bad either (not the sissy version australia play in)

If you've played / actually watched a number of the games live you'll know how rough it can get out there. Im suprised some of the players don't get injured much worse than they do. I do agree that there is some terrible acting that goes on at elite levels, which is something that FIFA and the clubs need to work on to stamp out... But at least the players don't get rewarded for missing the goals like in one particular code :togo:

Gotta love how especially AFL players whinge about the number of games (22 odd) they play.. Premier League teams play 38 games plus FA Cup (can be up to 14 games depending on whether they have to qualify and how far they get) plus if they qualify there is the european cups all in a season that runs from late August to May. Thats before any International games for their country!
Perana is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2006, 05:36 PM   #129
Uni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perana XR8
If you've played / actually watched a number of the games live you'll know how rough it can get out there. Im suprised some of the players don't get injured much worse than they do. I do agree that there is some terrible acting that goes on at elite levels, which is something that FIFA and the clubs need to work on to stamp out...
i voted soccer too...

its my opinion that the refs need to stop awarding such lame penalties. if the refs didnt constantly blow up carnts tripping on their own feet, we wouldnt have these players putting on such great acting. commentators throughout the world cup have been talking about "drawing penalties" and its a fukin joke.. worry about the ball, not scabbing penalties. schoolboy/club soccer is a much more physical game, and it makes it a ****load more interesting

i cant stand league. so boring and one dimensional.

Uni/.
Uni is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2006, 05:41 PM   #130
ricthewheelie
Frantic Ford Fanatic

AFL all the way, 54% of us say so. At least we don't have games decided by penalty kicks as the FA cup and its Scottish equivalant this year. What if the final game in the soccer world cup is still nill all after full time and extra time and penalties go 11 to 9, be a bit farcical wouldn't it ?

Last edited by ricthewheelie; 28-06-2006 at 05:45 PM. Reason: more stuff added
ricthewheelie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2006, 10:19 PM   #131
pennybrain
Heart of Blue

Anyone can pick up a ball and run with it. At least AFL and soccer require some skill and precision to play. All you need for league is to be big and bulky or small and fast. Not much skill required to pick up the ball and run at the opposition trying to find a gap.
Old 29-06-2006, 11:05 AM   #132
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricthewheelie
AFL all the way, 54% of us say so. At least we don't have games decided by penalty kicks as the FA cup and its Scottish equivalant this year. What if the final game in the soccer world cup is still nill all after full time and extra time and penalties go 11 to 9, be a bit farcical wouldn't it ?
No it would be unreal on the edge stuff ! I'd like to see that !
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2006, 11:26 AM   #133
DailyDriver

AFL is the best spectacle by far. Any sport were you stick your face in the other guys a$$ is just wrong!

All Go.......VXSS.....380bhp

All Show...2001 AU2 SR...210bhp...SOLD!
DailyDriver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2006, 11:27 AM   #134
DailyDriver

Quote:
Anyone can pick up a ball and run with it. At least AFL and soccer require some skill and precision to play. All you need for league is to be big and bulky or small and fast.
And low intelligence......

All Go.......VXSS.....380bhp

All Show...2001 AU2 SR...210bhp...SOLD!
DailyDriver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2006, 11:49 AM   #135
pennybrain
Heart of Blue

League players are not the most intelligent creatures thats for sure!!
Old 29-06-2006, 01:18 PM   #136
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyDriver
And low intelligence......
: I think aru/nrl/afl came from the same blood lines....they sound so similar :
Old 29-06-2006, 01:21 PM   #137
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedriver
: I think aru/nrl/afl came from the same blood lines....they sound so similar :
Yeah right. You can't compare AFL with NRL players in the way they talk. Your being silly.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2006, 01:23 PM   #138
dazzle260

Gotta love how especially AFL players whinge about the number of games (22 odd) they play.. Premier League teams play 38 games plus FA Cup (can be up to 14 games depending on whether they have to qualify and how far they get) plus if they qualify there is the european cups all in a season that runs from late August to May. Thats before any International games for their country!

you cant compare a game of afl with a game of soccer. afl is a contact sport...soccer isnt. therefore you need longer to recouperate after a game of afl. no dont bother arguing there is contact in soccer because rubbing is racing.
dazzle260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2006, 01:28 PM   #139
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Yeah right. You can't compare AFL with NRL players in the way they talk. Your being silly.
Oh ok one is Dumb and the other Dumber ! py:
Old 29-06-2006, 01:30 PM   #140
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzle260
you cant compare a game of afl with a game of soccer. afl is a contact sport...soccer isnt.
Go watch a local club game... Then say it's not a contact sport
Perana is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2006, 01:40 PM   #141
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What I find is interesting is that you lot who follow the soccer, consistantly claim that being "The World Game" does not get a fair go in this country and that other sports get more following in this country. But when you start to bag those sports that most Australian's follow like Aussie Rules, League and Union, you arn't doing your sport any favours. You hang on to this notion that its the world game, and its far superior to any other sport in the world. So when people like myself who don't follow soccer, watch the world cup and get behind Australia and start to show a genuine interest in the game, I find myself wondering why I even bothered to get up at the odd hours of the night to watch soccer. I thought I'd support my country and get right behind the game of football. But its clear that you think our football is stupid and the players idiots and say how unintellegent we have to be to play those sports. Why should I keep an open mind about your sport, when you don't give a rats about ours. Fairs fair.

If you want to lift the profile of your game in our country, then stop rating yourself.

If your after more support for Soccer, how about you stop bagging the sports that a majority of Australian's follow.
Old 29-06-2006, 01:42 PM   #142
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedriver
Oh ok one is Dumb and the other Dumber ! py:
Stick to your wog ball. You might have half a clue.
Old 29-06-2006, 02:05 PM   #143
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Stick to your wog ball. You might have half a clue.
:
Old 29-06-2006, 04:06 PM   #144
pennybrain
Heart of Blue

Each to their own. Everyone has the right to watch whatever sport they choose!
I saw Gridion (sp) being played in Canberra the other day. I didn't think there was enough support for there to be teams but obviously I was wrong.
Hey how come gridion wasn't included in this poll???
Old 29-06-2006, 05:44 PM   #145
ricthewheelie
Frantic Ford Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennybrain
Each to their own. Everyone has the right to watch whatever sport they choose!
I saw Gridion (sp) being played in Canberra the other day. I didn't think there was enough support for there to be teams but obviously I was wrong.
Hey how come gridion wasn't included in this poll???
They'd have too many ad breaks during the game for it to be called sport, more like infotainment, and whats with all the padding ??????
Old 29-06-2006, 05:46 PM   #146
pennybrain
Heart of Blue

They are soft amreicans who don't want to get hurt.
I read somewhere that a bunch of auusie blokes challenged some americans to have a go at league against them and then the Aussies would have a go of gridion against the americans. Apparently the Aussies kicked the yanks butts in both games and the yanks couldn't beleive that they play league with no padding.
Old 30-06-2006, 02:45 AM   #147
Faker
Certified Nutcase

I just read through the six pages. Amazing.

I have played Soccer, Aussie Rules and Rugby with Soccer and Footy being at a
reasonably high level.

Rugby
My Grand Father played Rugby for Wales and was all of 5 foot tall. I admit he did play when the team were far less professional or skilled than today. He taught me how to tackle properly and fell guys twice my size.
I am 167cm (5'6") and weighed 79kg when fit. I now weigh 92kg so yes I'm now fat but was not when I played.
I loved playing Rugby. You do need plenty of skill and fitness to play well and not get injured with the constant pounding. A great game with far more thinking required than players are given credit for. Satisfaction guaranteed when you break tackles and make 10 metres with guys trying to pound you into the turf. If you are lucky enough to score a try, when you turn back and see the hanging heads of those that tried to stop or catch you, that, is a glorious feeling. Likewise when "you" stop someone from scoring. Magic

Aussie Rules
I played all through my childhood and teenage years (as well as Soccer and Hockey).
I was selected for the WA State Schoolboys team in year nine(couldn't attend as my Parents could not afford it as we had to pay our own way).
At 15 I completed preseason training with East Perth FC (WAFL) and was on their list for the Colts. My friend and I got in a fight at training with a couple of older guys, one being the Coaches son, and got asked to leave. Played for a country team for $100 per game until I was 17.
Great to play though a lazy game if you were not a Rover or Onballer as it is today. I usually was due to my lack of height though my Coach often put me at full forward for a joke on the opposing team. Simple skills and common sense are required though the skills required are affected easily under pressure (like all sports I suppose).
Got to keep an eye out for the so called tough guys who try to hit you or shirtfront you when you are not watching. Nothing tough there just cowardice my Mother could do it.

Loved playing, love watching.

Soccer
State Schoolboys twice (year 9 +10 same result as above). My Father played professionally in England (3rd Division) and my older brother was being scouted by a First division team until he broke his foot or actually had it broken for him and never recovered.
If you have never played Soccer in a full on game you just don't realise how hard a game it is. The skill required is very high and physical aspects are far and above what most non players realise. Such a fast paced game.
A favourite of mine was to play against Footy players, who called us poofs (even though I was also in their footy team) and watch them cry, whinge and moan about getting injured everytime they were tackled or shoulder barged off their feet at speed. All you heard was " you can't do that".
Because scoring goals is so hard it makes it so much more satisfying than scoring in Aussie Rules. Great game to play. If you get the chance check out a Soccer players shins when they leave the changerooms. They are usually mangled and bloody.
Pity there is so much staging for free kicks these days.

I apologise for my dribble but I am trying to show (not well though I realize) that all three codes are great to play for different reasons. I think it would be hard to make comment if you have never played a sport. All three have the same aim that is achieved with different skills and all are immensely satisfying to play.

I vote for them all.

Then there is Hockey...............
Old 30-06-2006, 10:56 AM   #148
pennybrain
Heart of Blue

Hockey is insane. I play hockey and I have since I was about 7. Its great fun but also quite dangerous. I have represented ACT and played at very high levels and now I am just playing for the fun of it. 2 seasons ago I broke my hand playing hockey. That was painful. Last season I copped a ball in the face and broke my cheek bone. That was the best black eye I have ever had and man it hurt.
I have never played aussie rules or union but I have played muck around league and soccer. I never saw much in league as I always just got smashed and could never get anywhere. I would have like to have played union though and I was going to play this year but didn't want to get injured.
Soccer is very similar to hockey. I love soccer it is great fun.
Old 30-06-2006, 11:00 AM   #149
AUIIIXR8
Formerly AU2XLSV8

Union, Union and Union!

League is okay.

AFL: ummm well. I lived in VIC between the ages of 4 and 23 and i still can't watch it. Played it at school, but there is no substitute for a good union match for me.

Oh yeah I'm 'All Black' if you can understand :P

Past
EL 6 S/C - sold
AUII XLS V8 Stroker - sold
99' Laser (runabout) - sold
BA Fairmont - sold
AU III XR8 220 - sold (so should have kept this one)
AU III XLS Tickford 6 - sold

Formerly AU2XLSV8
AUIIIXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2006, 11:04 AM   #150
dazzle260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perana XR8
Go watch a local club game... Then say it's not a contact sport

i have watched a local glub game and ive seen more contact in stick movies.

i have also played in a local game, mate of mine said he would play aussie rules with me if i played a game of soccer. admitedly it was b grade but im told its rougher because of the lower skill levels. once again the contact was not there
dazzle260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post