Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 26-07-2013, 01:30 PM   #121
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 
Default Re: AFF Coffee Thread

How often do you pull the basket out of the handle and clean it? It could be that their is a small granule stuck in the basket blocking the extraction process.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2013, 01:52 PM   #122
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Given that the breville is less than 24hrs old I don't think it is that, but I run water through the basket and clean it between each pour. The breville also seems to use water like it is an endless thing, where as the sunbeam gave maybe 6-8 cups from a tank, the breville has given 2, with a little bit of mucking about to prime etc. When I am pouring, I can literally watch the water level drop. Obviously it should drop, but waatchng it drop from one level to the next in just a 30ml pour seems odd.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2013, 02:19 PM   #123
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think you need to video the poor and we can diagnose from there

O I timed a poor this morning 18 seconds

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2013, 02:20 PM   #124
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

yeah sounds a bit strange. I'll leave this to hendrix to explain. I'd be guessing to diagnose the issue.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2013, 05:16 PM   #125
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudz27 View Post
First coffee from it was foul, bitter etc. It is not giving a nice uniform stream, just seems to drip in the cup util halfway through which I suspect is no good by then. My puck was still watery and sludgy. They give you a cheats frothing wand, that can go in the bin. All it did was froth my milk to oblivion and when I put it down the bottom to heat the milk, it just kept frothing (now I understand the washing liquid effect)
how fresh is your coffee? bitter coffee can be a sign that it is stale. bitter can also be from being over extracted. the pour should be stopped when it goes blonde.

given you don't grind your own beans you are a bit limited on what you can adjust. if it is just dripping out, then the only thing you can really do is to dose less (put less in the basket), or tamp with less pressure, or both, until you find a happy medium.

its fine for the coffee to drip to start. as long as you get roughly 25-30ml of shot before it goes too blonde it doesn't really matter what the flow looks like. if all variables are correct, it generally takes care of itself (ie, if grind, dose and tamp are all good, the flow will be good).

if the pour takes too long to get the desired amount, it can/will start to burn the coffee, which will also affect the taste obviously.

sounds like you just need to get used to the idiosyncrasies of the new machine and try different amounts of coffee in the portafilter. only adjust one thing at a time so you know what change made the difference, so either fill your basket the same, and tamp lighter and trial, or fill your basket less and tamp the same, and trial, then fill basket less and tamp light etc.

making your own coffee is so much easier in some ways when you grind your own beans. sure, its another variable, but it allows you to dose correctly at all times. if you are having to under dose to get the right pour then you will struggle to get the right amount for your shot, naturally.

as for the steam, perhaps the steam performance is just much better than what you are used to. milk texturing technique can take a little while to master. i would recommend watching some youtube video's. they are very helpful.
here's one for your machine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A65gRj-5bY4
camera work isn't very good though.

and another with the top of the range breville but helpful tips just the same
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4ByyUmZT28
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2013, 08:44 PM   #126
hendrixhc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I am not sure what I am doing wrong, but coffee out of the breville is terrible. I am not getting a nice flow or correct colour, I get flow from one nozzel and spitting from the other, as far as watery puck goes, I think it is just a symptom of cheaper machines and the double wall basket (know the difference now) because if I let it sit while I heat the milk, it continues to slowly drip coffee, but then the puck comes out dry. Given that when I force just water through, there is always still water i the basket when I remove the handle, my assumption is that it is just a symptom of the basket, nothing else.
Ok. Hard to say what the issue is without seeing the unit but it almost sounds like it is faulty.

The machines have a 3 way valve in them that opens to allow water to flow through the group head and when it closes gives a discharge to the drip tray to relieve the pressure created by the pump from the handle so it can be removed.

If your unit is chewing through water it has to be going somewhere. If it is not in the cup then it must be in the drip tray. This is symptomatic also of a faulty or stuck 3 way valve. A quick diagnose can be made by removing the drip tray, placing a jug under the group head with no handle installed and turning the water on as if you are making a coffee. If water comes out the head and out to the drip tray at the same time it is faulty. TAKE CARE tho as you will make a mess and the water will be scolding hot. Shut it down as soon as you have seen whats going on.

Best way to attempt to rectify this fault is to use an espresso cleaning tablet and run a cleaning cycle as per the manual. this may be successful in unjamming the valve if it is that problem.

The second thing to realise is that with the group basket having multiple holes in it the grind you had for the sunbeam will more than likely not suit anymore. Im afraid you wont be able to test the theory much with out an adjustable grinder.

A sloppy puck as mention before can be symptomatic of the grind being to course. The fact that the flow is dripping from one side and spurting from the other really doesnt mean to much. It could be uneven packing of the basket, which you could see, or machine on a really uneven surface, which you can see, or the water purely following the path of least resistance. The head will naturally swirl the water in a certain direction and it will just continue in that direction and find the quickest way out.

Does the steam wand contraption you are referring consist of the wand and a hollow pipe you put over it? If so then practise a little more cause they work a treat. I have got the milk down to an art with that thing and have on occasion jagged it to the point you think you a re drink cream!!

The brevilles do spit water from the steam wand to start with as well. My understanding is they prime the thermoblock with a "bit" of water to start with which runs out and then the pump cycles on/off spitting small amounts of water into the thermoblock which gets converted to steam as it reaches temp.

Hope some of this helps!
1982 XE Falcon
1978 XCGS Falcon
1993 XG Ute
2015 FGX XR8
hendrixhc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-07-2013, 09:03 PM   #127
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Cheers. I knew about the steam wand prime, will have to get use to the new wand. I went crom being able to make smooth creamy milk to dishwashing liquid style hahahaha. I will have a look at whether water is coming out of the drip tray or not. I know a new machine generally means new technique, but it was frustrating. Apparantly tonights coffee tasted good, but still not as good as it has been.
Old 26-07-2013, 09:12 PM   #128
hendrixhc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dont worry to much Spudz. as many coffees as i have made and machines i have set up we always get new ones in and they are all different. Some of the newer ones ( and not so cheap) are just plain **** and dont really work without modifications.

Its like starting from scratch sometimes. All you can do is keep trying and practising!

One example was a machine we got straight from the manufacturer on Monday because it had to be in Tuesday to a massive client. ( sales potential was phenominal). They sent a rep over from Sydney to assist with the install. It took us nearly 6 hours to get a coffee hotter than 40 degrees out of it.

i ended up telling him to step aside and turfed his tech manual grabbed the milk air injection venturi which needed shortening, scrapped their milk hose and one way valve system and made my own, and got the soldering iron out and melted the milk inlet orifice shut and redrilled a 1.1mm hole to reduce the milk flow. Instant 72 degrees for every cup.

He agreed they need to do some redesigning!
1982 XE Falcon
1978 XCGS Falcon
1993 XG Ute
2015 FGX XR8
This user likes this post:
Old 26-07-2013, 10:08 PM   #129
trentski
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrixhc View Post
The machines have a 3 way valve in them that opens to allow water to flow through the group head and when it closes gives a discharge to the drip tray to relieve the pressure created by the pump from the handle so it can be removed.
The Breville 800es doesn't have a 3 way valve so you will always have a sloppy puck unless you leave it for a while before removing the handle. Whatever you do don't remove the handle straight away or you will get coffee everywhere as the pressure releases.

Run a shot without the handle in place and measure how much water you get in 10 seconds. It should be about 60 -100mls.

This should give you 50-60mls form a double basket in 25-30 seconds form the time you press the switch, not from the time the coffee first appears.

Try and get a non-pressurised or single wall basket that fits, should be inexpensive and there might even be some going cheap on the coffeesnobs for sale section from greg pullman at the moment, you want a double basket not a single. Better to freeze half the shot for iced coffee later than try and use a single basket.

Ultimately you need a grinder, even something like a hario hand grinder for <$100 will be better than beans that are pre-ground and stale in a few days and not the right grind for your machine. You could mod the grinder so it works with an electric drill if you are lazy or in a hurry to grind beans.

With your undersized tamper, try doing an NSEW type movement so you are tamping the entire puck, otherwise like hendrixhc mentioned the water will just go around the sides of the puck and over extract the coffee. You might even find a glass that is a better fit, so use that for your tamper.

There's a lot to read there but it is worth persevering once you've got the hang of it you will be making better than cafe quality coffee for a fraction of the price and it will be effortless.
trentski is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2013, 12:18 AM   #130
Spudz27
Call me Spud

What I am finding odd is even with an empty basket I am getting splatterijg and the pour seems to come from one side better than the other. The coffee is turning blonde after about 10secs and usually there is not even a shot in the cup. I am trying different things, I even tried using the baskets from the sunbeam. I will get there in the end. I put the frothing wand back on and got dish washing froth straight away. It is getting frustrating as I had my technique pretty good with the sunbeam. Plus my mrs keeps asking me to just go back to the sunbeam so she can have a nice coffee again lol.
Old 27-07-2013, 08:47 AM   #131
prydey
Rob

how much water did you run through when you first got the machine operating after getting it out the box?

from memory i think start up procedure for mine required me to pump through about a litre of water before doing anything else. perhaps yours is similar?

how does it pour without the handle in place? could it be a problem with the handle?
Old 27-07-2013, 06:17 PM   #132
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Without the handle in place it pours fine. I did notice the handle was easier to secure than the sunbeam, did not take as much force. Also not sure if it is over rotating as then holes end up on an angle when it is locked in, so cups have to be positioned right, not just side by side.
Old 27-07-2013, 06:59 PM   #133
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Without the handle in place it pours fine. I did notice the handle was easier to secure than the sunbeam, did not take as much force. Also not sure if it is over rotating as then holes end up on an angle when it is locked in, so cups have to be positioned right, not just side by side.
this tells me it must be something to do with the handle. is the black plastic insert thing (does it have one?) cracked or something? did you get 2 handles or 1? if you got 2, is it the same with both?

you say you used the baskets from the sunbeam. did you try using the group handle from the sunbeam? might be worth a try although i'd be surprised if it fitted.

don't be too worried about the over rotation of the handle. as the seal wears that will happen more and more. seals are a cheap item and easy to replace.

i'd be having a close look at the inside of the group handle (minus basket).

on coffeesnobs i think i read that on some machines, people remove that black plastic stuff. higher end machines don't have it anyway. might be worth doing some research to see if you can do that, otherwise, given its new, i'd take it back. rather than claim under manufacturer warranty, given its only a couple of days old, most stores would just exchange it with another i reckon, rather than stuff around sending it off to breville.
Old 27-07-2013, 07:00 PM   #134
prydey
Rob

just on breville, their customer service is fantastic!!
Old 27-07-2013, 07:26 PM   #135
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
on coffeesnobs i think i read that on some machines, people remove that black plastic stuff.
bit of a discussion on it here
http://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-eq...r-options.html

mostly there for those who don't preheat their group handle, but it appears it also assists in directing the shot to the 2 spouts. maybe remove it to make sure its ok, but then leave it fitted as factory.
Old 27-07-2013, 08:06 PM   #136
hendrixhc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Damn Spudz and his apple cake. I been thinking bout that for 2 days now. Just went out in the kitchen and knocked one up. Should be ready in 35 minutes.
1982 XE Falcon
1978 XCGS Falcon
1993 XG Ute
2015 FGX XR8
Old 27-07-2013, 11:30 PM   #137
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrixhc View Post
Damn Spudz and his apple cake. I been thinking bout that for 2 days now. Just went out in the kitchen and knocked one up. Should be ready in 35 minutes.
Can't knock this one up in 10mins, bloody thing takes 10days lol. She made one with cinnamon and brown sugar and walnuts and one with white choc bits and macadamia. Of course they both still contain apple. Now I am signing off, wr did stocktake tonight and I may have drunk my share of carona. Best to stay off the net tonight lol.
Old 27-07-2013, 11:49 PM   #138
hendrixhc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

8 Oz brown sugar, 4 Oz butter,3 eggs, mix, add 1/2 cup milk, 8 Oz self raising flour, 1 can of apples and tablespoon of cinnamon. cook at 160 degrees fan forced for 45 minutes!

Comes out a treat.

And no numbers arent typos!
1982 XE Falcon
1978 XCGS Falcon
1993 XG Ute
2015 FGX XR8
Old 28-07-2013, 09:39 AM   #139
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianb View Post
I have a Nespresso machine at home for simplicity and convenience.

Lucky enough to work in the Melbourne CBD and absolutely love some of the great coffees I can get from coffee shops in the city with beans from local roasters. My favourite coffees come from these roasters:

- Market Lane
- St Ali
- Social Roasting Company
- Proud Mary
- Seven Seeds

I've always had a soft spot for Illy coffee too but there's been a huge swing towards quality local roasters and fresher beans.
Have you bought beans from Quists in Lt Collins St (behind the James Squires Brewery)?

I am a complete coffee snob, no instant in years. Plunger or stove top (normally Harris gold pack). Here in Geelong I buy coffee at Cravings in Malop St, Coffee Cartel in Breakwater and Adelphi Cafe in Ryrie St.

Last edited by nuthin' fancy; 28-07-2013 at 09:51 AM.
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2013, 12:48 PM   #140
Archilino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anyone here a fan of Greek/Turkish coffee?
Archilino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2013, 06:44 PM   #141
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive had greek coffee at a greek restraunt, but it wasnt great, and i suspect it had more to do with who made it and less to do with the style of coffee

Old 28-07-2013, 09:25 PM   #142
DJR David
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archilino View Post
I board ships as part of my job. Whenever I have a Greek or Turkish ship, I always accept the offered coffee, but is makes me buzz for an hour!!!!

DJR David is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2013, 11:03 PM   #143
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archilino View Post
You mean the stuff they use to repair cracks in the road?

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-07-2013, 11:04 PM   #144
trentski
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuthin' fancy View Post
I am a complete coffee snob, no instant in years. Plunger or stove top (normally Harris gold pack).
If you are drinking Harris gold pack then you have a way to go before you are a complete coffee snob. harris gold pack coffee is stale before it gets to the supermarket. I roast my own beans and don't consider that I'm a complete coffee snob though others may
trentski is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-07-2013, 11:27 AM   #145
Blue Oval Mopar Man
Has Blue Blood

Hi ladies ( just joshin ) , interesting topic ! I didnt think coffee could be so complex. its like being in an art museum , watching the arties waffle on about what D'Vinci was thinking 4000 years ago when he cleaned all his house painting brushes on an old drop cloth .

But seriously , While i Dont drink much coffee at all ,maybe 1 a month , I used to live on a coffee plantation in Papua New Guinea when I was a kid . I love the smell of coffee ,especially fresh roasted beans . I cant handle drinking it . I drink tea like its going out of fashion and cant stand the smell of tea leaves . Go figure ?

I'm not arrogent , Just superior
Blue Oval Mopar Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2013, 09:52 PM   #146
Archilino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
You mean the stuff they use to repair cracks in the road?
Haha come on now, can't beat it. No more than 30 odd ml straight black FTW. Besides having milk in coffee is just cheating
Archilino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2013, 09:34 PM   #147
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Thought I would get this up again. Still going with the breville, still not making as good a coffee as I did with the sunbeam lol. But still a much nicer coffee than ever before. We go out to cafe's now and some of the coffee served is just plain revolting. My partner had to add 3 sugars to a mocha, just to get the biterness out of it.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:54 AM   #148
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow, I would of just given it back.

I had a 3 week holiday in the states a couple of weeks ago, my main concern was finding good coffee.

Thankfully there are plenty of nice cafes there now, but you need to spend the time searching for them and ensuring they don't serve drip rubbish.

Though we had 1 cafe where my missus sent hers back 3 times before they finally got it right haha.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:07 AM   #149
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

I reckon I'm pushing to have 10 coffees a year. I drink mainly water.

I don't mind coffee, but can barely tell the difference between cheap instant and all the fancy stuff that you buy and my mates try to shove into me with their fancy uber expensive machines.

I like this stuff, pure magic...

Last edited by Sox; 11-09-2013 at 09:19 AM.
Sox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2013, 11:38 AM   #150
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

industrial freaken roast