Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2021, 07:22 AM   #13051
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
They set a trap that no one fell for? How does the entrapment rule apply in this instance?

Sydney anti-lockdown protest fears ease after no-one turns up
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-...test/100339936

Sydney lockdown protesters warn Saturday rallies are ‘a police trap’
https://www.news.com.au/national/nsw...2dcb6c12db2ed6
sounds pretty typical of these idiot protesters, another conspiracy theory for them to grasp - "oh now the police are organising rallies to trap us"

Bloody bunch of Chicken Littles
3 users like this post:
Old 01-08-2021, 09:44 AM   #13052
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U View Post
I had a look and couldn’t find anything relating to Antibody testing, only a breakdown of PCR testing costs back on the 20/07.

Can you point me in the right direction Russ?

As a regular blood donor I’d happily pay a service fee to have my donation screened for Covid Antibodies and a general report on health markers, would help provide excellent community data from all pockets of the country aswell.
You know what, 10 years back I was bitten by maybe 120 ticks, it was in a holiday rental, blood screening negative, but was very ill for years, apparently the tests done here were inadequate, needed to be done in the US of A or Germany, each country had its own process and price, my Aussie test including PCR negative, German test $2400 bucks couldn't afford, and US of A similar price but $US bucks, God only knows how much covid would cost and how long it would take, am sure test kits you buy are like the police use for drugs, licky licky!

PS..I think you need to know what you are testing for first???

Cheers WB
Old 01-08-2021, 09:51 AM   #13053
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilT2 View Post
So if the antibodies are gone after six months then has immunity gone too.
What about hair samples?.....I think it's lasts forever, DNA can be extracted from dead bodies, why not corona virus

Cheers Guillaume
Old 01-08-2021, 10:34 AM   #13054
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpv8u
I had a look and couldn’t find anything relating to Antibody testing, only a breakdown of PCR testing costs back on the 20/07.

Can you point me in the right direction Russ?
Helius do them and they apparently have 80 collection points nationally and they offer both PCR and IgM testing.

In terms of detecting antibodies, the best guide seems to be that they may last in the body for 3-6 months and although these antibodies probably provide some immunity to the virus, there's currently not enough evidence to know how long they really last or to what extent (if any) past infection helps protect you from getting another infection.

Observatio Facta Rotae

3 users like this post:
Old 01-08-2021, 10:44 AM   #13055
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What's the population of SW Sydney?

If they are running at 100k tests a day, how long before they could test the whole population and isolated all the infected?

Actually, why not just sweep through the area with testing, isolate the infected, then open up?

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
Old 01-08-2021, 10:57 AM   #13056
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The reason I was bringing up the testing for Antibodies is that it may open things up quicker.

Example if only 50% of the population was vaccinated but 30% had antibodies in blood.
It is going to be an uphill battle to reach 80% vaccination level.
So looking for ways to bridge the gap rather than reach a stalemate.

Also there is still the mystery of why some people get it and show no signs or have any effect.

5 Mins of research shows that the Pandemic of 1889 which killed over 1million people with 'Russian flu', may now be believed to have been a Coronavirus. It came in 4 or 5 waves and lasted until 1895. Sounds familiar Hey....

Being an absolute numpty I would say that genetically some people still carry the genes of people that survived that pandemic which benefit them today.

I know, I have been in isolation too long.
This user likes this post:
Old 01-08-2021, 10:58 AM   #13057
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
What's the population of SW Sydney?

If they are running at 100k tests a day, how long before they could test the whole population and isolated all the infected?

Actually, why not just sweep through the area with testing, isolate the infected, then open up?
Would only work if you could test the whole population simultaneously.
Old 01-08-2021, 11:14 AM   #13058
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

The obstacles are geography, sheer numbers and resistance to authoritarian imposition.

Frankly, mass coercive testing is a job better suited to current incarnations of the Rebels and HA; there would be less distrust, viz: “The enemy of my enemy…”
Old 01-08-2021, 11:43 AM   #13059
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work Horse View Post
Would only work if you could test the whole population simultaneously.
If a million people, get it done in 10 days.
But as citro said, lack of trust would mean unworkable.

Rides (past and present)
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

Old 01-08-2021, 12:08 PM   #13060
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Another big number from NSW (well, basically Sydney). As expected.

Rumours are swilling of further restrictions on incoming (and inferentially, by extension, outbound) flights.
Old 01-08-2021, 12:17 PM   #13061
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Queensland records nine new COVID-19 cases as high school karate class fuels cluster's spread

https://www.9news.com.au/national/qu...-spread_010821

Quote:
Queensland has recorded nine new local cases of COVID-19 today, all connected to a rapidly spiralling outbreak linked to a Brisbane high school student.

"This is the most number of new community infections we've reported in Queensland in almost 12 months," Deputy Premier Steven Miles said.
"The last time we were at this level was August 2020."

Four of today's new cases stem from a karate class held at Ironside State School in St Lucia.

The class is attended by students and their parents from all over Brisbane.
Three of the students - two from Ironside State School and one from Brisbane Boys Grammar School - have so far tested positive, as has the latter's father.

Two more students from Indooroopilly State High School - where the original case in a 17-year-old student was uncovered - have also now contracted the virus.

Mr Miles has issued an urgent call for more south-east Queenslanders to come forward for COVID-19 tests, after only 11,468 were processed in the last 24 hours.
"Our message is simple: that is not enough tests," he said.
"While that is a turnout for a Saturday, in previous outbreaks that were not this serious, we were consistently testing more than twice that number - more than 20,000 each day."

He particularly called on Sunshine Coast residents to present for testing, noting health authorities were concerned about potential "missing links" between cases in the area.

This message was reiterated by Health Minister Yvette D'Ath, who warned that speed was key, saying that the Delta variant "spreads in hours not days".

"New South Wales has recorded on average one death every three days - we cannot be complacent," Ms D'Ath said.

Chief Health Officer Dr Jeanette Young said it was "vital" that anyone with symptoms get tested, "because I don't know where this virus is at the moment".

There are now five Brisbane high schools on the list of COVID-19 exposure sites:

Indooroopilly State High School
The nearby St Peters Lutheran College
Ironside State School, where the karate class was held
Brisbane Boys Grammar School
Brisbane Girls Grammar School, including anyone who attended the school's Open Day on Friday

Brisbane Boys Grammar School has been closed and staff, students and parents who attended between Wednesday and Friday sent into isolation.

An infectious parent attended an Open Day at the girls' high school on Friday.

On Friday, health authorities confirmed a 17-year-old student at Indooroopilly State High School had tested positive for COVID-19.

By the following day, six more cases linked to the student were uncovered, prompting Mr Miles to announce a snap three-day lockdown which went into effect at 4pm that day.

There are now 18 infections genomically linked in the cluster, with yesterday's cases including the student's parents, her siblings, a teacher and a medical student who tutored her.

It's understood the medical student also attended a number of hospitals while infectious, forcing staff there into isolation.

A lengthy list of exposure sites released by Queensland health authorities includes bus routes to and from the University of Queensland and Princess Alexandra Hospital, a shopping centre in Indooroopilly and the F block at Southbank TAFE on Wednesday.

Indooroopilly State High School earlier confirmed that three confirmed COVID-19 cases attended the school last Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

All students and staff are considered close contacts and must quarantine at home for 14 days.

Also on the list of COVID-19 exposure sites is the nearby school, St Peters Lutheran College.

The cases have been linked to two returned travellers in hotel quarantine via genome sequencing of the virus, but health authorities are been unable to establish any direct contact between them and the new cluster.

Dr Young said she believed the cluster originated on the Sunshine Coast, before it was picked up "at the escalation point", when it spread into the Brisbane high schools.

"I still think there will be cases there in the Sunshine Coast that we don't know about and if we don't find them, they will continue to spread," she said.

One of the returned travellers arrived in Brisbane from Indonesia, and Dr Young believes that person then transmitted the virus to a UK arrival some time during their time at Singapore airport, on the flight to Brisbane or in hotel quarantine.

Queensland has had numerous community COVID-19 cases in recent weeks, with the virus leaking through from interstate, hotel quarantine and airport staff, but infectious disease expert Dr Paul Griffin warns this outbreak is markedly different.

"There's a lot of concerning elements about this, including where these people have been, how many exposure sites there are, how many people are already infected as a result," he said.

"So I do think we need a comprehensive and swift range of mitigation strategies, which is what we've seen."

Eleven local government areas are subject to the new lockdown, which kicked in at 4pm yesterday and is the strictest yet seen in Queensland.

Already, police have issued 28 fines to people breaching the stay-at-home orders, including one person who refused to wear a mask after being asked by police.

Eleven people were fined after being pulled over during police vehicle intercepts, and another 11 were caught at illegal household gatherings.

The only permitted reasons to leave home are: to buy essentials, such as groceries and shopping, work if you can't work from home, exercise within 10 kilometres of your home and healthcare, including vaccinations.

Only the children of essential workers can attend school.

The Commonwealth Government yesterday declared the locked-down LGAs to be COVID-19 hotspots, making Queenslanders in the affected regions who have lost work will be eligible for federal support payments.

The lockdown announcement has cast doubt over whether Brisbane's long-awaited Royal Queensland Show will go ahead.

Preparations are on hold for the Ekka for 24 hours as organisers seek more clarity around the current outbreak.

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
Old 01-08-2021, 12:21 PM   #13062
.:4:.
Kicking back

My brother was on the phone to me today and telling me about the feud 2 of his neighbors currently are in. So he lives in a complex of 6 town houses. So 1 house had people over which is against current rules. The other neighbor confronted in an agressive manor which wasnt well received and subsequently reported the gathering. So since then theres been a few visits from covid inspectors. But the silly part is, the bloke who had the gathering and subsequently got reported is a doctor. So if anything you'd think they'd have a greater understanding about covid business then a regular joe.
Old 01-08-2021, 12:23 PM   #13063
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
My brother was on the phone to me today and telling me about the feud 2 of his neighbors currently are in. So he lives in a complex of 6 town houses. So 1 house had people over which is against current rules. The other neighbor confronted in an agressive manor which wasnt well received and subsequently reported the gathering. So since then theres been a few visits from covid inspectors. But the silly part is, the bloke who had the gathering and subsequently got reported is a doctor. So if anything you'd think they'd have a greater understanding about covid business then a regular joe.
High IQ does not equate to common sense

Cheers Mr B
4 users like this post:
Old 01-08-2021, 12:40 PM   #13064
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT July 31st 2021.

Note
: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

221 new cases for Australia and 1 death so the CMR is 2.707%.

No new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 0.906%.

The UK had a lower 25,754 cases yesterday and higher 71 deaths for a CMR of 2.214%.

A higher 104,090 new cases in the USA yesterday and higher 557 deaths sees CMR at 1.762%.

Other notable points: (weekend reporting)
Global cases pass 198M, the last 1M in 2 days;
Asia passes 62M cases;

Iceland (158);
Laos (380);
Honduras (2,550);
Japan (10,744);

Malaysia (17,786); and
Thailand (18,912)

... recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

No countries move above the 90th percentile for the 10 day period and Ecuador drops below.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Last edited by russellw; 01-08-2021 at 12:51 PM.
4 users like this post:
Old 01-08-2021, 12:50 PM   #13065
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

The 241 cases recorded for NSW in the past 24 hours sets a new daily record for cases in the State. Still a long way off the 725 Victoria recorded on a single day last year but that's the second new high this week.

Observatio Facta Rotae

4 users like this post:
Old 01-08-2021, 01:33 PM   #13066
slowsnake
Banned

Health Minister Roger Cook has revealed inmates and staff in WA prisons will receive the Pfizer vaccine in the coming weeks.

He said due to the confinement of cells, prisoners are considered vulnerable to the virus.

“The vast majority of the people in WA prisons are under 60 years of age, making Pfizer the most appropriate vaccine,” Mr Cook said at a press conference on Thursday.

“The nature of prions, people living and working in close proximity.

“Should COVID-19 enter a prison, it would go through that prison like wildfire.”

Under WAs current vaccine rollout, only Western Australians aged 40 to 59 can book a Pfizer vaccine ,while people over 60 can only get the AstraZeneca jab.

West Australians aged under 40 can only register their interest to receive the Pfizer vaccine at state-run COVID-19 vaccine clinics...( end QUOTE )

PS...Might go rob a bank eh!

Cheers Mr B
Old 01-08-2021, 01:53 PM   #13067
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

That’s probably a good move by Corrections. I hope they extend it to parolees.
Old 01-08-2021, 02:02 PM   #13068
DoubleTrouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Been wondering after my evening shop, whether some grocery items are opportunistically priced up due to Covid.

Walked out $84 poorer; some items that seemed to have crept higher were beans/ground coffee - nothing under $20/kg, packing tape at $7 for 150m total, Lebanese cucumbers at $11.90/kg…
I believe there is opportunistically pricing going on, take one example in Victoria when our latest lock down was lifted the other day: petrol prices sky rocket as much as 50¢ per litre and that was a big hit!
Old 01-08-2021, 02:13 PM   #13069
slowsnake
Banned

Just a bit more about jailed WA prisoners, apparently 4000 out of 6800 have already received first jab!

And I hope it hurt, lol,

Cheers Mr B
Old 01-08-2021, 03:03 PM   #13070
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Chaos here is my otherwise sleepy Brisbane suburb, Qld GovCo has been so generalised about possible contact that literally hundreds/thousands of cars have descended upon the the local C19 testing site, roads leading to the testing facility are gridlocked.
Old 01-08-2021, 03:14 PM   #13071
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

FWIW...

Rick Penney Forecast for Sydney (he's been on the money with other outbreaks).

2 users like this post:
Old 01-08-2021, 03:50 PM   #13072
slowsnake
Banned

Don't know Rick Penny but his curves look too predictive, would like to see it over 20 years from the first global Sars virus, the curves just look too "pretty" so not convinced he's right, but could be I'm wrong!
I hope it is that predictable though, looks like a nice world to live in!

Cheers Mr B
Old 01-08-2021, 04:19 PM   #13073
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
Chaos here is my otherwise sleepy Brisbane suburb, Qld GovCo has been so generalised about possible contact that literally hundreds/thousands of cars have descended upon the the local C19 testing site, roads leading to the testing facility are gridlocked.
Me mate that does Uber up in Brisbane said the general stay at home compliance looks pretty good from the outside. Hardly any cars or people on the road.

He did however do a few pick ups, where a bunch of "youngsters" would get in, carrying back packs with bottles clinking inside. When asked what they were up to this weekend, they told him they were going to spend the weekend getting ****ed at mates places. So after dropping them off, a quick call to the authorities . Until the last pick up, he got so fed up he kicked all 4 of them out of his car.

Rides (past and present)

3 users like this post:
Old 01-08-2021, 08:42 PM   #13074
slowsnake
Banned

I hope your mate charged em before he lagged em in, but in saying that they really have no idea just how dangerous their actions are!
And neither did we at that age....remember!........

Cheers Mr B
Old 01-08-2021, 09:34 PM   #13075
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
I hope your mate charged em before he lagged em in, but in saying that they really have no idea just how dangerous their actions are!
And neither did we at that age....remember!........

Cheers Mr B
Uber are just like Prostitutes... Pay In Full, In advance...
2 users like this post:
Old 01-08-2021, 11:22 PM   #13076
DoubleTrouble

Quote:
Me mate that does Uber up in Brisbane said the general stay at home compliance looks pretty good from the outside. Hardly any cars or people on the road.

He did however do a few pick ups, where a bunch of "youngsters" would get in, carrying back packs with bottles clinking inside. When asked what they were up to this weekend, they told him they were going to spend the weekend getting ****ed at mates places. So after dropping them off, a quick call to the authorities . Until the last pick up, he got so fed up he kicked all 4 of them out of his car.
Picking up a bunch of people! sounds like your mate is a dog maybe he should have stayed at home.
Old 02-08-2021, 06:30 AM   #13077
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Had to laugh yesterday, and I hope I get the sequence right

I am a regular watcher of Insiders on ABC and have been for years

NSW ABC reporter is interviewed and makes a statements along the lines of 'people in SW Sydney are refugees from war torn countries so don't trust army or Government' (I have paraphrased there) and when Government uses terms like 'boots on the ground' and 'enforcement', these words mean a big difference to refugees from war torn countries than they do to the average Aussie but no rocket science in what she has is saying and I have been saying the same thing since Victoria 2020. Then the Gvmt wonders why these people don't trust them and are not getting vaccinated etc

I work alongside some of these refugees so to me that point sticks out like dogs testicles.

Anyway, ol' mate Brad Hazzard is interviewed next, he states that he had been listening to the ABC interview and makes a couple of fleeting comments about it, but the rest of the Insiders interview he just showed what a bombastic bastard he is

Fast forward to the NSW press conference and ol' mate Brad Hazzard makes a statement almost parrot fashion of the what the ABC reporter said, so instead of learning from and listening to refugees he gets guidance and common sense from an ABC reporter - well done Brad - at least you listened
Old 02-08-2021, 08:00 AM   #13078
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe these cultures should adapt to ours and not expect us to adapt to theirs?
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
Old 02-08-2021, 08:32 AM   #13079
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR Martin View Post
Maybe these cultures should adapt to ours and not expect us to adapt to theirs?
Yes they should I fully agree, but, not in 6 months but over a few generations, which in reality is 30 years, I always imagine if the boot was on the other foot when I worked with non Australians or boat people, and the South Vietnamese coming into Darwin harbour back in the late 1970’s was shocking to watch or see on TV elsewhere.

But back in Cabramatta, there were ex Pol Pot regime victims, mixed up with South Koreans, and a smattering of North Vietnamese who could be picked out for their "perfect english" language!

But we should adapt their culture, especially if we visit their home country on holiday, if we expect them to adapt then we should set the example!.....

Cheers B Monday

Last edited by slowsnake; 02-08-2021 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Add a bit
Old 02-08-2021, 08:36 AM   #13080
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleTrouble View Post
Picking up a bunch of people! sounds like your mate is a dog maybe he should have stayed at home.
Ubers are classified as essential workers. Some people rely on uber and taxis to get to their own essential work or even just to do groceries.

When someone makes a booking it's done through an app, the purpose of travel is not include. These sobs risk spreading the disease because they can't not have a **** up on a weekend? Gtfo. They deserve to be slammed up. Imho of course.

Rides (past and present)

Closed Thread