Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 16-04-2020, 06:52 AM   #1
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
...There must be some good deals at the moment. A market flooded with cars for buyers with little money to spend...
I‘m finding less bargains at the low end, than a year ago. Asking prices on s-boxes are up.
2 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2020, 12:04 PM   #2
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Quote:
I just got on carsales.com.au.

Almost 230,000 cars for sale.

I recall just a few months ago the number was just on 200,000.

There must be some good deals at the moment. A market flooded with cars for buyers with little money to spend.

Sent from my LG-M700 using Tapatalk

Most manufacturers will list a generic version of every spec, transmission, engine and colour on carsales so there would be quite a few of these cars that don't necessarily exist.

Also the jump doesn't necessarily equate to dealers trying to pump stock - there could quite easily be a number of people who are now financially in troubled times and need to move on assets.
This user likes this post:
Old 15-06-2020, 04:53 AM   #3
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
I just got on carsales.com.au.

Almost 230,000 cars for sale.

I recall just a few months ago the number was just on 200,000.

There must be some good deals at the moment. A market flooded with cars for buyers with little money to spend.

Sent from my LG-M700 using Tapatalk
The above was on the 15/4/20.

Exactly 2 months later and carsales is down to just under 171 thousand cars for sale nation wide.

What happened to almost 60,000 cars?

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Old 15-06-2020, 10:23 AM   #4
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:

Exactly 2 months later and carsales is down to just under 171 thousand cars for sale nation wide.

Probably people realizing they either don't have to sell now, or not getting enough interest.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
2 users like this post:
Old 15-06-2020, 10:55 AM   #5
zilo
BANNED

Quote:

Have you seen how much they charge to advertise car there?

Pretty expensive advertising.

(whether it sells or not...)

There are cheaper ways to sell a car....

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)
Old 16-04-2020, 10:22 AM   #6
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

While it's a bit unfortunate that each State has been able to adopt different 'rules' as to what is or isn't acceptable rather than have a Federally mandated approach, the written guides I've read (QLD, SA, NT, NSW & Vic) have been very clear about what you can and can't do and while there will always be edge cases common sense should prevail and only the anti-authoritarian or contumacious among society are going to even care.

You can hardly blame the police and protective services officers who've been given fairly vague guidelines about how to enforce the rules but that's why we have a system of judicial review to ensure that the system is fair.

Observatio Facta Rotae

4 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2020, 10:29 AM   #7
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
While it's a bit unfortunate that each State has been able to adopt different 'rules' as to what is or isn't acceptable rather than have a Federally mandated approach, the written guides

That is a legacy from when this continent operated as separate colonies prior to 1901.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
2 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2020, 01:14 PM   #8
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
While it's a bit unfortunate that each State has been able to adopt different 'rules' as to what is or isn't acceptable rather than have a Federally mandated approach, the written guides I've read (QLD, SA, NT, NSW & Vic) have been very clear about what you can and can't do and while there will always be edge cases common sense should prevail and only the anti-authoritarian or contumacious among society are going to even care.

You can hardly blame the police and protective services officers who've been given fairly vague guidelines about how to enforce the rules but that's why we have a system of judicial review to ensure that the system is fair.
I watched a press conference one morning where the reporters we're asking all types of stupid questions about what could and couldn't be done, the reply was, stop looking for loopholes.
This seems to be the problem, the main message from the start has been stay home unless absolutely necessary and with that those who just refuse to acknowledge the first part of the sentence have been busy looking for any angle they can fit their own interests into the latter, all the time hiding behind the idea that the rules aren't clear enough.
Thing is, if the rules we're crystal clear they'd be up in arms about the rules being too stringent.

This is just an extension of the modern trend of wanting to find a problem and be offended with everything.
4 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2020, 12:31 PM   #9
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quick decisions had to be made (people would complain if they were not), you get some errors when you have to do that.

But, id rather action than multiple meetings going no where and inaction.

All the petals with their "liberties" being taken away need to grow up and chill out. Once it is over if the focus is still there and is heavy handed then thats a different story.

Its going to be OK people; surely someone has done on of the "keep calm" signs by now.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
7 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2020, 01:25 PM   #10
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
Quick decisions had to be made (people would complain if they were not), you get some errors when you have to do that.

But, id rather action than multiple meetings going no where and inaction.

All the petals with their "liberties" being taken away need to grow up and chill out. Once it is over if the focus is still there and is heavy handed then thats a different story.

Its going to be OK people; surely someone has done on of the "keep calm" signs by now.
My whole point is this ..We'll do it , most will hate every second of it . Many will undoubtedly have mental and other health issues (not least those waiting for elective surgeries) . Some others worrying financial problems during and after it's over and then there's the education issues to deal with . But we'll do it because if it means less people die it's how it has to be . That's that .

Your' chill out' comment does not wash with me . Any normal person with a disrupted life is not going to chill out for a long time.Maybe be when some part of normality resumes . If you can that's great , but there are millions who will find chilling out is something that they will find hard to do for a while. I'm one of them .
Old 16-04-2020, 01:40 PM   #11
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

It took a long time for the anti-smoking lobby to temper its approach. The present line of (paraphrased) “every time you don’t smoke is helping” conveys the same core message as ever without appearing heavy-handed. I’d be more comfortable with that sort of appeal to people in the current instance.

Shopping is madness here, I use Google to check the live data and make hit-run dashes when it’s quiet, rather than queue for 25 minutes with 50+ random people to simply get in the door then be crowded out in the aisles looking for stuff that’s been either sold out or copiously pawed over. I’ll take my more frequent <10 minute visits with reduced person count.

I now know of one person with CV; they are 80-odd, in ICU in a hospital on the American east coast. So far, so good - they are quite strong and active despite suffering dementia. Being flush is probably helping them too.
Old 16-04-2020, 01:37 PM   #12
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

roddy1960 I hear you and wholehearted agree BUT I'm also having to suck it up as much as I wish to go about as I used to but I got to think about others not just me.
The wife and my 3kids, my parents one 90 other 88 touch wood are still on the go I'm loling my Mum is going batty wanting the old man to jump in the car to go out shopping etc, my sister calls me can I please put them in their place and stay home !
Were all in this mosh pit and it is challenging - heck covid is going to also increase the divorce rate talking mental probs mine incl lol.......
The knock off effect on all things people mention is going to hurt - more so the social issues that I really feel for - as mentioned were going to be a very different world once this gets under control, I don't care about the financial aspect of it for lives are worth far more than any monitery factor imo...
Money has ruined the world in the big picture, health and our freedom is worth more than anything else broke or not.
Hang in there mate.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
2 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2020, 03:29 PM   #13
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I read a letter sent into the paper today that made a good point. If hairdressers are allowed to operate, and hence be considered an essential business, then tell me how going to get a haircut is essential travel? When they say there are only 4 reasons to leave the house, work, education, food, exercise.

A haircut fits none of those 4 criteria. No wonder everyones so bloody confused about what you can and can't do.
3 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2020, 03:45 PM   #14
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
I read a letter sent into the paper today that made a good point. If hairdressers are allowed to operate, and hence be considered an essential business, then tell me how going to get a haircut is essential travel? When they say there are only 4 reasons to leave the house, work, education, food, exercise.

A haircut fits none of those 4 criteria. No wonder everyones so bloody confused about what you can and can't do.
Agree with the mixed messages... but at least were are partly open for business in Australia. I'd rather this than full lockdown like in NZ... and to my mind the results here are pretty good in comparison to NZ.
Old 17-04-2020, 10:20 AM   #15
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
Agree with the mixed messages... but at least were are partly open for business in Australia. I'd rather this than full lockdown like in NZ... and to my mind the results here are pretty good in comparison to NZ.
the results are almost identical which is interesting? considering the different approaches
Up until a week or so we only had one death ....but then an unfortunate out break in a rest home created a few more
It will be interesting to see how it pans out as we come out of lockdown , im just pleased we're not taking the Trump approach where it looks like 2000 deaths seams to be there latest average per day

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
Old 16-04-2020, 03:53 PM   #16
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:

Get your haircut at a hairdressers in a shopping complex whilst you're there for shopping needs, simple really.
It's not like they're going to follow you around the shops to make sure you're not just getting a haircut.
Old 16-04-2020, 04:17 PM   #17
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Get your haircut at a hairdressers in a shopping complex whilst you're there for shopping needs, simple really.
It's not like they're going to follow you around the shops to make sure you're not just getting a haircut.
nah, but google and facebook will
Old 16-04-2020, 05:54 PM   #18
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth View Post
nah, but google and facebook will
And, so long as you grab some essential supplies whilst your there its not a problem.
If you're on your way to get a haircut and get pulled over you don't tell them you're on your way to get a haircut, you say I need bread and milk and whilst im there i'll get a haircut next door at the hairdresser, you've met the essential needs criteria in the intention to get bread and milk. Now, if you got pulled over on the way home and said I went for bread and milk, got a haircut and have no bread and milk to show, you've got a problem.
Just align your need for a haircut with a need to leave home for an essential reason.

Is this really that hard to understand or are people just being awkward for the sake of being awkward.
Old 16-04-2020, 08:25 PM   #19
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
And, so long as you grab some essential supplies whilst your there its not a problem.
If you're on your way to get a haircut and get pulled over you don't tell them you're on your way to get a haircut, you say I need bread and milk and whilst im there i'll get a haircut next door at the hairdresser, you've met the essential needs criteria in the intention to get bread and milk. Now, if you got pulled over on the way home and said I went for bread and milk, got a haircut and have no bread and milk to show, you've got a problem.
Just align your need for a haircut with a need to leave home for an essential reason.

Is this really that hard to understand or are people just being awkward for the sake of being awkward.
It was just a sarcastic observation, I couldn't care less about the conversation ;)

..I'm leaving now.
Old 16-04-2020, 04:20 PM   #20
hayseed

Quote:

Given the amount of "Contact" involved in getting Your hair Done.
I'm Gobsmacked that It's Deemed essential.. SCOMO (or whomever made the call) must've wanted to keep SWMBO onside..
Old 16-04-2020, 04:24 PM   #21
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
Given the amount of "Contact" involved in getting Your hair Done.
I'm Gobsmacked that It's Deemed essential.. SCOMO (or whomever made the call) must've wanted to keep SWMBO onside..
Have you ever seen a bottle blond with regrowth???

It's essential
Old 16-04-2020, 04:53 PM   #22
hayseed

Quote:

It's essential
Touche`
Old 16-04-2020, 04:54 PM   #23
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

It's essential
Yeah I always wondered why so many “blondes” went to the trouble of dyeing their hair roots dark!!
6 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2020, 05:11 PM   #24
prydey
Rob

Quote:

Not everyone is out of work. There are plenty of people still working where personal grooming is important to their job.

Even if not working, we aren't expected to all look like Robinson Crusoe.

As mentioned earlier, stop looking for loopholes and issues.
Old 16-04-2020, 08:50 PM   #25
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

The restrictions don't really effect me too much personally - it got me out of seeing the extended family over Easter this year which was very nice, I usually spend Easter in Adelaide away from them all

I'm yet to have involvement with the police even though I've been on the road more than ever for work, but I've been on my best behavior on the roads because there's a lot less people and it seems many more police all over our freeways at the moment

Do the restrictions effect me personally? Only a little, its just curbed the weekends, I'm not fussed on the effects on my own life but I don't agree with how Victoria Police has handled the situation.

Yes our State Government have had to do some 'policy on the run' to initially bring it under control and there is an appeal system. The whole idea about an appeal system is for extraordinary circumstances or a review, having an appeal system isn't a substitute for crappy legislation and authoritarian enforcement and then put the onus on the person faced with the massive fine to have it overturned when there is no accountability on the people handing them out.

Its a backwards way of addressing a problem, you need to address the problem at the beginning, not work from the result backwards and push everyone into the appeal system, don't **** it up royally in the first place.

I have issues with largely ambiguous legislation but I understand we cannot have it so refined and to the point, but that's not what I'm asking for.

If you want an example of ambiguous legislation you can harness as a weapon, I'm sure everyone has come across a unionised workplace where the health and safety rep uses Section 21 of the OHS Act 2004 as a nuclear weapon and cause dramas on their beck and call, you can just about get anyone on a contravention of s21 and disrupt a workplace or tie up management with a bureaucratic nightmare:

Quote:
'(1) An employer must, so far as is reasonably practicable, provide and maintain for employees of the employer a working environment that is safe and without risks to health.'
There's a lot of brandying about this 'common sense' term, what is 'common sense'? Something that I consider 'common sense' seems is a light bulb moment for some of the retards I have to deal with or manage on a daily basis, I shouldn't have to spell everything out, hold peoples hands and tell them to wipe their *** after they take a ****, but no, I have to because otherwise things fall over the moment you stop spelling out the obvious.

Keep the $1600 fine, keep the restrictions but have some accountability over the questionable fines, if you keep slipping up like this then there should be repercussions, just like any other person is held to account everywhere else in our jobs.

Then there's the whole you can only do A,B C and D and everything else is banned, but hold up we can still run the horse racing industry and now real estate inspections are allowed but everyone else is still out of work and can't do anything? Or initially Crown Casino was let off the hook until Victorians started questioning everyone else being shut down except Crown Casino and its epic gambling facilities being allowed to run?

The State Government and Victoria Police need to do better, its not a case of needing more resources, its a case of using the existing resources you have more efficiently.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 16-04-2020 at 08:58 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 17-04-2020, 03:44 PM   #26
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
The State Government and Victoria Police need to do better, its not a case of needing more resources, its a case of using the existing resources you have more efficiently.
I snipped your post for brevity, but I agree absolutely with everything you said. It's pretty much exactly what I've been trying to explain.

In victoria the media lit up and the government did something. Here in queensland the fines rate is almost as high, just as stupid but our media aren't saying anything so nothing is being done.

I have heard they are even now complaining about people doing ore than one shop a week, but when you get to teh supermarket half the stuff is missing and lots more is limited purchase to 1 or 2 items HTF are you supposed to keep a family fed ??

But don't worry you can still get a haircut and take the kids to kmart...
Old 16-04-2020, 09:18 PM   #27
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

At the end of the day despite what beliefs you have about the virus and how the government(s) are handling it, we have a sector of fellow Australians in various occupations who found themselves out of work virtually overnight through no fault of their own.
If staying at home as often as possible is what is needed to maximise the chances of restrictions easing, and getting them back into employment, then I am happy to comply with no complaints.
It is the least the people with unaffected occupations can do.
Joe Public can make this happen quickly or drag it out for months and months longer than necessary.
We owe it to these people to get them back as soon as possible.
Old 16-04-2020, 09:24 PM   #28
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
At the end of the day despite what beliefs you have about the virus and how the government(s) are handling it, we have a sector of fellow Australians in various occupations who found themselves out of work virtually overnight through no fault of their own.
If staying at home as often as possible is what is needed to maximise the chances of restrictions easing, and getting them back into employment, then I am happy to comply with no complaints.
It is the least the people with unaffected occupations can do.
Joe Public can make this happen quickly or drag it out for months and months longer than necessary.
We owe it to these people to get them back as soon as possible.
Well said
Old 17-04-2020, 10:27 AM   #29
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

One of the things I've been looking at is the considerably different impacts this outbreak is having around the world.

Based on 2018 numbers, Oceania (us) has 0.51% of the global population so our 0.37% of the global cases is close to par but the 0.05% of fatalities is well ahead of the curve.

Conversely, North America has only 7.6% of the population but 33.18% of the cases and 25.2% of the deaths.

Africa is faring best. They have 16.1% of the world population but only 0.87% of the cases and 0.67% of the deaths although that's probably under-reported.

The graph below shows those numbers by Continent.

Observatio Facta Rotae

6 users like this post:
Old 17-04-2020, 11:10 AM   #30
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

A couple more graphs. These are based on the percentages of the adult population and show the case rates and mortality rates per 100,000 adults for Australia, NZ, UK and USA.

Notable that the case rates see Australia and NZ very similar and about par with the global rate while the mortality rates for those two countries are well below the global rate.

Observatio Facta Rotae

8 users like this post:
Closed Thread