Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 20-07-2021, 09:31 PM   #12511
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 
Default Re: Covid 19 -

You've heard it here first...just heard that the Wellington Respiratory Clinic here in town has confirmed a positive case.

We all knew it was to happen at some stage, but it is still a bit of a shock.

Hopefully the lockdown will stymie any further transmission within the local area.

From memory, this would have to be the first positive case from suburban Melbourne through to the eastern border with NSW, sans the case in Phillip Island.

E: just found a msm story covering this. Apparently no exposure sites associated with this case as the person was in quarantine whilst infectious. That's good news.

https://sgst.com.au/2021/07/covid-19...lington-shire/

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
2 users like this post:
Old 20-07-2021, 09:54 PM   #12512
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
One other thing I’m finding frustrating about the present NSW restrictions is that I can’t identify a specific contact point for inquiry.

If this drags on much past end of July I will need to address maintenance issues on my property, 450km away. Having had theft, water theft and petty vandalism at times, I prefer to be there unpredictably as well as predictably.
Is your place on the flood plain out there? We've just had a flood alert, Burrinjuck and Blowering are just about over the top.

On the bright side if it floods there wont be any vandalism or water theft
Old 20-07-2021, 10:12 PM   #12513
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Feeling bored? I could send you out to check. At 130km/h via the back ways, it’s less than 90 minutes return for you. I get sheeting water on about half the block because it’s that unimproved sandy clay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Is your place on the flood plain out there? We've just had a flood alert, Burrinjuck and Blowering are just about over the top.

On the bright side if it floods there wont be any vandalism or water theft
2 users like this post:
Old 20-07-2021, 10:39 PM   #12514
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If this drags on much past end of July I will need to address maintenance issues on my property, 450km away.
You can travel between multiple places of residence. Got a rates notice in your name for the other place?

https://www.nsw.gov.au/covid-19/rule...onable-excuses

The restrictions only say you can't travel out of your LGA if you can avoid it.
This user likes this post:
Old 20-07-2021, 10:43 PM   #12515
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Rates, water bill, nastygram from the council about weeds last year. (A near neighbour got shirty when I wouldn’t sell.) Got a car registered to there too - but it’s not a hauler.
2 users like this post:
Old 20-07-2021, 11:52 PM   #12516
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
If you don't stop the planes you won't stop the virus.

How can you get rid of the virus if you don't stop the planes?

I respectfully disagree.
The virus is in Australia already.
Isolation, Nationally and personally is not a real solution.

All that isolation does (as it will never be perfect) is change when, who gets the virus.
The only realistic way the virus is stopped, or at least becomes no longer a threat, is if Australia get to 70-90% of the population having either had the virus or vaccinated (who really knows the numbers ? WHO really does not).

Do your part, get the jab, or kiss someone who is infected - otherwise the lockdowns will last forever, taking Australia's economy progressively further down the tube.

Disclosure: an expatriated Aussie who would like to see his mum - who has a terminal cancer and about 6 months to live.
4 users like this post:
Old 21-07-2021, 06:32 AM   #12517
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

as soon as it clears up, we get another plane load then it all starts again

Close the border and to misquote Tony Abbott "STOP THE PLANES"

Maybe let them in when more are vaccinated - us and NZ have some of the lowest vaccination rates of the world - all that huffing and puffing by ScoMo and Greg Hunt last year has meant nothing - just more over-promising and under-delivering
3 users like this post:
Old 21-07-2021, 06:32 AM   #12518
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

seriously don't know what Gladys and Co are thinking, their (in)actions have made sure the whole country is ****ing infected. Dan for all his faults tried to contain it to Melbourne last year - NSW have just let it run rampant

I am slighty convinced it was a deliberately move driven by ScoMo and Co to build herd immunity, like King Boris of England is trying to do. ScoMo was a fan of the herd immunity thing last year when it all started but got howled down and forced publicly and within his party to do more, so that was when ScoMo & C changed focus from financial to health.

The skeptic in me is thinking that this drive to vaccinate is driven by the money overlords of the world and big Pharma
Old 21-07-2021, 06:52 AM   #12519
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
7 users like this post:
Old 21-07-2021, 07:49 AM   #12520
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
seriously don't know what Gladys and Co are thinking, their (in)actions have made sure the whole country is ****ing infected. Dan for all his faults tried to contain it to Melbourne last year - NSW have just let it run rampant

I am slighty convinced it was a deliberately move driven by ScoMo and Co to build herd immunity, like King Boris of England is trying to do. ScoMo was a fan of the herd immunity thing last year when it all started but got howled down and forced publicly and within his party to do more, so that was when ScoMo & C changed focus from financial to health.

The skeptic in me is thinking that this drive to vaccinate is driven by the money overlords of the world and big Pharma
Despite what you think, Sydney locked down far faster and harder than Melbourne ever did during their lockdown last year.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
Old 21-07-2021, 08:01 AM   #12521
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR Martin View Post
Despite what you think, Sydney locked down far faster and harder than Melbourne ever did during their lockdown last year.
Without effecting the whole state.

No method is going to be perfect, but trying to minimize disruption seems to be the goal which is a balanced approach IMO.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 21-07-2021, 09:11 AM   #12522
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
are you serious

we lived through it, you watched it on TV
Old 21-07-2021, 09:14 AM   #12523
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Faster, yes. I think Vic waited 40+ days before locking down in wave 2. There was no real reference point back then for a major outbreak, except maybe Ruby?, there are plenty now. The data we have now compared to Vic's wave 2? It is rather confusing when people / media claim Vic is always too quick to go into lock down. We learnt from wave 2.

Harder? Not sure. Nightly curfews, 1hr exercise across all of metro melb for a prolong period of time, is pretty hard to go against. SA is getting close! Actually I reckon they've overtaken, but only for 7 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
Without effecting the whole state.

No method is going to be perfect, but trying to minimize disruption seems to be the goal which is a balanced approach IMO.
Sorry Poyal, nothing against you, but this is what irks a lot of people outside of NSW. The "balanced approach" in one state has caused half of the country's population and businesses to go into lock down....TWICE!....and it ain't over yet. If they had tried to contain within, but it still leaked, I would be more forgiving. I'm really nervous what your gov's plan is on easing. I think most states will maintain a hard border for a while yet, which will cause angst for their own gov. I really do feel we are being held to ransom.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
Old 21-07-2021, 09:15 AM   #12524
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
are you serious

we lived through it, you watched it on TV
To be fair Trev, your observation of XR's experience with the Vic lockdown is no different to your experience of the Sydney lockdown, ie they lived through it and you only observed it on tv.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2 users like this post:
Old 21-07-2021, 09:23 AM   #12525
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm hearing that the removalists that started the Vic outbreak was told they were a close contact on 9th July. However Vic health was only advised by NSW Health on 12th July. That is 3 days lost to trace and isolate, a massive gap for the delta.

I think at some stage all state's systems will need to be linked up (no tin foil hat). SO when Vic grants a red zone permit, they can quickly check to see if that holder has been listed as a close contact. Or if someone becomes a close contact after they have entered, Vic Gov can be automatically alerted.

Otherwise, these spot fires are going to continue.

Rides (past and present)
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

3 users like this post:
Old 21-07-2021, 09:30 AM   #12526
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
To be fair Trev, your observation of XR's experience with the Vic lockdown is no different to your experience of the Sydney lockdown, ie they lived through it and you only observed it on tv.
I see their Premier out buying coffee, people here would be arrested for that last year.

I remember their Premier slamming the Vic-NSW border shut pretty quick last year
Old 21-07-2021, 09:33 AM   #12527
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
I'm hearing that the removalists that started the Vic outbreak was told they were a close contact on 9th July. However Vic health was only advised by NSW Health on 12th July. That is 3 days lost to trace and isolate, a massive gap for the delta.

I think at some stage all state's systems will need to be linked up (no tin foil hat). SO when Vic grants a red zone permit, they can quickly check to see if that holder has been listed as a close contact. Or if someone becomes a close contact after they have entered, Vic Gov can be automatically alerted.

In fairness, there could be a big gap between when they were told and when they admitted to tracers where they had been. By all accounts they have been described as "not forthcoming", so Vic may very well have been told as soon as NSW became aware that they left the state.

2 users like this post:
Old 21-07-2021, 09:36 AM   #12528
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Surely it could be linked back to Medicare, so the query came back as clear, or pending, or positive and a date of last testing - plus confirmation of an address match. That would require minimal new infrastructure.
2 users like this post:
Old 21-07-2021, 09:50 AM   #12529
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Sorry Poyal, nothing against you, but this is what irks a lot of people outside of NSW. The "balanced approach" in one state has caused half of the country's population and businesses to go into lock down....TWICE!....and it ain't over yet. If they had tried to contain within, but it still leaked, I would be more forgiving. I'm really nervous what your gov's plan is on easing. I think most states will maintain a hard border for a while yet, which will cause angst for their own gov. I really do feel we are being held to ransom.
The difference in opinion of a VIC and NSW citizen is interesting, you guys have been burnt but that's the premiers doing.

Same goes for the other states, lock the borders over 5 cases, FFS

We cannot run at 0 cases in the community, its impossible, we need to stop pretending like that is the goal because we set ourselves up to fail.

Once this next wave is over then what, we go free for 2 weeks then then repeat? Surely that cant go on.

Curious, if you contract covid is that as good as the jab when you come out the other side?
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
4 users like this post:
Old 21-07-2021, 10:00 AM   #12530
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The difference in opinion of a VIC and NSW citizen is interesting, you guys have been burnt but that's the premiers doing.

Same goes for the other states, lock the borders over 5 cases, FFS

We cannot run at 0 cases in the community, its impossible, we need to stop pretending like that is the goal because we set ourselves up to fail.

Once this next wave is over then what, we go free for 2 weeks then then repeat? Surely that cant go on.

Curious, if you contract covid is that as good as the jab when you come out the other side?
Australia made its choice long ago, to go for zero community transmission. Until that changes, we can't have rogue states going off doing their own thing. Although I do wonder if we are slowly being buttered up to accept a "live with the virus" shift in strategy.

1 became 100+ in 7 days in Vic, with 3 now in hospital. 22 new today. There is no in between, its either suppress or let it rip. Referendum anyone?

Rides (past and present)

Last edited by T3rminator; 21-07-2021 at 10:13 AM.
Old 21-07-2021, 10:00 AM   #12531
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
You've heard it here first...just heard that the Wellington Respiratory Clinic here in town has confirmed a positive case.

We all knew it was to happen at some stage, but it is still a bit of a shock.

Hopefully the lockdown will stymie any further transmission within the local area.

From memory, this would have to be the first positive case from suburban Melbourne through to the eastern border with NSW, sans the case in Phillip Island.

E: just found a msm story covering this. Apparently no exposure sites associated with this case as the person was in quarantine whilst infectious. That's good news.

https://sgst.com.au/2021/07/covid-19...lington-shire/
Has now made the ABC news. Seems that we must have had a case back last September.

One of the cases is in regional Victoria
A Wellington Shire resident picked up the virus after attending a sporting event in Melbourne.

It's the region's first case since September last year.

Annalies Titulaire from the Gippsland Public Health says there are no local community exposure sites.

"I can confirm that it has been traced back to a known acquisition source, which is a really good thing in terms of that the person was already a primary close contact, which means that they were in quarantine throughout their entire infectious period."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2 users like this post:
Old 21-07-2021, 10:13 AM   #12532
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Australia made its choice long ago, to got for zero community transmission. Until that changes, we can't have rogue states going off doing their own thing. Although I do wonder if we are slowly being buttered up to accept a "live with the virus" shift in strategy.

1 became 100+ in 7 days in Vic, with 3 now in hospital. 22 new today. There is no in between, its either suppress or let it rip. Referendum anyone?
I think there is an in between, and that is lock down local LGA's when it gets out of control and contract trace.

Unfortunately contract tracing will always be hit and miss because people think the government is trying to control them and wont always be honest.

I too think the realization of we have done all we can for now is here, we understand the virus better than we did at the start.

Lock down LGA's, get to 80% ASAP then we need to sort out how we handle international travel.

All this state vs state nonsense has restricted Australia for a long time, whether it be law differences, policy etc...it really needs to end. Incredibly inefficient.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
3 users like this post:
Old 21-07-2021, 10:22 AM   #12533
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Here you go T3, some distraction.
The bitterness of interstate rivalry has a long history - rail gauges, anybody? Amazing to think that only resolved in the last 50 years.

I’m missing the “predictions” of TikTok Man, it actually gave a soft start to what the 11:00 press conference would be throwing at people in the way of any further strictures.
2 users like this post:
Old 21-07-2021, 10:55 AM   #12534
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Here you go T3, some distraction.

The bitterness of interstate rivalry has a long history - rail gauges, anybody? Amazing to think that only resolved in the last 50 years.

I’m missing the “predictions” of TikTok Man, it actually gave a soft start to what the 11:00 press conference would be throwing at people in the way of any further strictures.
She has gone hard and fast, even took me by surprise. They gone to 6 cases now?

They might even come out before vic to be honest. Didn't budge on afl, both afl teams now flown to Vic. Incredible.

Tiktok man was out by 2 yesterday. Didn't make a call last night I don't think.

Rides (past and present)

Old 21-07-2021, 12:29 PM   #12535
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT July 20th 2021.

Note
: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

105 new cases for Australia and 1 death so the CMR is 2.849%.

5 new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 0.921%.

The UK had a higher 46,125 cases yesterday and higher 96 deaths for a CMR of 2.334%.

A higher 45,491 new cases in the USA yesterday and higher 183 deaths sees CMR at 1.784%.

Other notable points:
Global cases pass 192M, the last 1M in 2 days;
Europe passes 50M cases;
Russia passes 6M cases;

Laos (170);
Algeria (1,298); and
Iran (27,444)

... all recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

Finland, Morocco and Georgia move above the 90th percentile for the 10 day period and Colombia drops below.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 21-07-2021, 12:36 PM   #12536
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
I

All this state vs state nonsense has restricted Australia for a long time, whether it be law differences, policy etc...it really needs to end. Incredibly inefficient.
Hence my small token of protest below my avatar re location, this pandemic has really brought out the a-hole in some people re state v state, unfortunately a few populating this thread.

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
3 users like this post:
Old 21-07-2021, 12:49 PM   #12537
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:

Am sorry the removalists mother passed away from Covid-19....but her 2 stupid sons should of realised just how dangerous they were!...maybe they were just "thick" no common sense, but they should of been dragged out off their truck and flogged on the spot, and 6 months jail, no parole!

They and folk like them need flogging, for Christ's sake they are killing people?...not making them sick but killing???

Cheers Billy.

Last edited by slowsnake; 21-07-2021 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Add a bit
Old 21-07-2021, 01:10 PM   #12538
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My daughter (who is immune suppressed) made this statement last night, and I quote

"It makes me laugh that the people who whinge the most or loudest about the lock-downs are the ones least affected. Some still get to go to work and get out of the house. Some still have a normal wage. Can go to supermarket anytime they like, most will recover fine if they get it, etc"

She is absolutely spot one - those that are vulnerable never whinge, only the healthy ones do - it just demonstrates their selfishness
2 users like this post:
Old 21-07-2021, 01:18 PM   #12539
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
My daughter (who is immune suppressed) made this statement last night, and I quote

"It makes me laugh that the people who whinge the most or loudest about the lock-downs are the ones least affected. Some still get to go to work and get out of the house. Some still have a normal wage. Can go to supermarket anytime they like, most will recover fine if they get it, etc"

She is absolutely spot one - those that are vulnerable never whinge, only the healthy ones do - it just demonstrates their selfishness
With all due respect Trev do we stop society for the minority?

We should protect and help/support them.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
2 users like this post:
Old 21-07-2021, 01:20 PM   #12540
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so you are OK if the people you care about die because of selfishness of others - cool

I have a wife, 2 daughters and a granddaughter all seriously immune suppressed, 1 daughter, the most ill, is seriously considering not getting the Pfizer vaccine because of the absolute bull-**** she is reading on the net, is that OK?
Closed Thread