Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2021, 08:32 AM   #12121
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
Sure. You keep telling yourself what it is that needs reinforcing.
Those with the need and want to fly will get the jab so it wont be an issue.

All the others can sook about fuel prices and other injustices.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
3 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2021, 09:03 AM   #12122
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Not just the passengers but the employees as well being targeted

Airline policies mandating vaccines will be a turbulent test of workplace rights

Quote:
Airlines want you vaccinated. They want as many people as possible vaccinated. The sooner that happens, the sooner borders open and they can get back to profitability.

They also have reasons to want to protect both customers and staff from COVID-19. Qantas staff, for example, have been considering legal action over workplace transmissions.

Qantas has dangled the carrot of extra frequent flyer points for fully vaccinated passengers, plus ten “mega prizes” of a year’s free travel for familes. Virgin Australia has similar plans. It also has a scheme to encourage its workers to get vaccinated. This will reportedly include the chance to win extra annual leave.

Could they go further and mandate vaccines? This is something Cathay Pacific is doing, telling its Hong Kong-based flight crews they must be vaccinated by August or their employment will be reviewed.

Qantas chief Alan Joyce signalled in November that once vaccines are widely available it will require international travellers to be vaccinated. This implicitly suggests it will require the same from international flight staff.
https://theconversation.com/airline-...-rights-162241
4 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2021, 09:40 AM   #12123
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Not just the passengers but the employees as well being targeted

Airline policies mandating vaccines will be a turbulent test of workplace rights

https://theconversation.com/airline-...-rights-162241
It is in the best interest of the airline to do so, but yes a pretty interesting case of worker rights. The worker also has the right to find another job if they dont agree although there may be some fine print needed to change in their agreements.

if passengers need to be vaccinated then obviously staff are not exempt which is pretty logical.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
This user likes this post:
Old 07-07-2021, 10:24 AM   #12124
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Did you miss the part about countries letting people in with only a negative covid test?

The little [EDITED] leprechaun can talk all he wants about not allowing flights for un-vaxed, but when they lose business look how long that will last. After he’s run back to govco for more emergency funding of course.

And i haven’t heard any other airline claim they will do it either.
It could go both ways. People may flood to fly on QUANTAS due to that very policy and shun other carriers that allow any passenger to board.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Old 07-07-2021, 10:32 AM   #12125
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
It is in the best interest of the airline to do so, but yes a pretty interesting case of worker rights. The worker also has the right to find another job if they dont agree although there may be some fine print needed to change in their agreements.

if passengers need to be vaccinated then obviously staff are not exempt which is pretty logical.
Big companies like that will probably have clauses in their work contracts regarding staff following company guidelines, not doing things or saying things that may be of detriment to the companies reputation etc and there will be a little star that has a sub clause stating that this is at the discretion of the company and may change at any time.

The same grounds were probably used to sack that footy player that decided to host a party over the weekend.

Much like many day care centres will not allow un-vaccinated children to attend. If you don't like it take your business or find work elsewhere.

If it were any other time they may be able to legally wrangle out of these exemptions but we are past being tolerant to what suits the individual and cries of 'What about ME and MY rights' will fall on deaf ears.

Old 07-07-2021, 10:39 AM   #12126
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Have I logged into Weibo by accident? All I’m reading is “obey the rules”?
7 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2021, 10:43 AM   #12127
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting discussion on workplace. Our global CEO came out yesterday and advised that there will be no mandatory jab policy for the company. We have operations in the UK, EMEA, North America and Asia, and none will be required to have the jab.

Going by the Q&As that was then thrown, it made a lot of people anxious but also some people relieved.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
2 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2021, 10:53 AM   #12128
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Good on them. I think most people will run with it in the end, but mandating stuff is something Australia has taken to with gusto - like cycling helmets.

Special mention for this effort in Sydney per the NSW Health exposure locations list (ABC formatted).

Score: A for consistency, F for result.
Old 07-07-2021, 11:11 AM   #12129
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Tajikistan becomes first country to make COVID-19 vaccines mandatory

Quote:
Tajikistan’s government announced Saturday that all adults will be required to get vaccinated against COVID-19, making it the first country in the world to announce such a sweeping mandate as it tries to contain a new outbreak of coronavirus.

A statement from the Republican Headquarters for Strengthening Anti-Epidemic Measures against COVID-19 announced the new requirement but provided few details. It’s unknown how the government plans to enforce the mandate.
https://bnonews.com/index.php/2021/0...nes-mandatory/
Old 07-07-2021, 11:35 AM   #12130
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:

Tajikistan becomes first country to make COVID-19 vaccines mandatory

https://bnonews.com/index.php/2021/0...nes-mandatory/
Interesting to see how that pans out.

Filipino president said said jail for anyone who refuses vaccination but I think they don't have enough cells to cater to that

2 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2021, 12:07 PM   #12131
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Interesting to see how that pans out.

Filipino president said said jail for anyone who refuses vaccination but I think they don't have enough cells to cater to that
Brain cells??..( that is not meant as an insult )

Cheers King Billy
Old 07-07-2021, 12:12 PM   #12132
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT July 6th 2021.

Note
: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

26 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR is 2.952%.

7 new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 0.943% and active cases 39.

The UK had a higher 28,334 cases yesterday and higher 37 deaths.

A much higher 13,799 new cases in the USA yesterday and higher 120 deaths sees CMR at 1.796%.

Other notable points:
Global cases pass 185M, the last 1M in 3 days;

Fiji (636);
Mozambique (1,458) - the previous high on 19/1/21;
Zimbabwe (1,949);
Kuwait
(1,993);
Myanmar
(3,602);
Cuba (3,591);
Tunisia (7,930);
Iraq (8,818);
Bangladesh (11,525); and
Indonesia (31,189)

... all recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

Libya moves above the 90th percentile for the 10 day period while Sri Lanka drops below.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Last edited by russellw; 07-07-2021 at 12:23 PM.
4 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2021, 12:34 PM   #12133
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Interesting discussion on workplace. Our global CEO came out yesterday and advised that there will be no mandatory jab policy for the company. We have operations in the UK, EMEA, North America and Asia, and none will be required to have the jab.

Going by the Q&As that was then thrown, it made a lot of people anxious but also some people relieved.
That’s THIS week, or THIS month?…
“circumstances worldwide have changed drastically, it is NOW company policy that all are vaccinated”
Regardless… What a damn sad world we now live in
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
3 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2021, 01:49 PM   #12134
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Question, my Wife works in aged care, up until recently the employer has been avoiding mandatory vaccination against Covid, however, there is word that they may backflip and force employees to get it.
What would happen if someone had it to satisfy work requirements only to develop clots and the associated complications.
Would workcover be liable to compensate as the jab itself is not compulsory by law but would be by employer.
Surely a requirement to have it for work would require any negative outcomes be covered.
Old 07-07-2021, 01:55 PM   #12135
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Question, my Wife works in aged care, up until recently the employer has been avoiding mandatory vaccination against Covid, however, there is word that they may backflip and force employees to get it.
What would happen if someone had it to satisfy work requirements only to develop clots and the associated complications.
Would workcover be liable to compensate as the jab itself is not compulsory by law but would be by employer.
Surely a requirement to have it for work would require any negative outcomes be covered.
Is the flu-vac mandatory for your wife? Would be a similar arrangement wouldn't it?
Old 07-07-2021, 01:57 PM   #12136
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
“circumstances worldwide have changed drastically, it is NOW company policy that all are vaccinated”
Makes retirement life in paradise look good aye.
2 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2021, 02:02 PM   #12137
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
Is the flu-vac mandatory for your wife? Would be a similar arrangement wouldn't it?
Yes, became mandatory in 2019 but havent heard of any complications in my experiences, whereas clots are a known side effect albeit in very few cases.
I know one of her colleagues declined the flu shot due to prior bad experiences and was forced out the door but i guess the difference is she knew the definite consequences and chose accordingly, no one really knows how they will react to the covid jab and for many that may be the first and last opportunity to find out.

Its just an interesting thought as we're not overseas travellers so apart from personal choice to either have it or not, the only other deciding factor to go ahead would be if it were forced in order to maintain employment.

I wonder if this is why govco isnt forcing it on industry.
2 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2021, 02:10 PM   #12138
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
Can't tell what they might do in the future, but I reckon the only thing that will change the policy is if the jurisdiction, which we operate in, make it law. Making it mandatory also has unintended consequences, like losing key staff to competitors who may not require it. Although I can also see it working vice versa, people might be more willing to join a company where they know everyone is jabbed? Who knows.

We have already lost a couple of staff to covid in the NA region, so its very real to management.

I'm a believer that things will eventually get back to normal, might take 2, 3, 4 or 5 years.

Rides (past and present)
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

Old 07-07-2021, 02:21 PM   #12139
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Can't tell what they might do in the future, but I reckon the only thing that will change the policy is if the jurisdiction, which we operate in, make it law. Making it mandatory also has unintended consequences, like losing key staff to competitors who may not require it. Although I can also see it working vice versa, people might be more willing to join a company where they know everyone is jabbed? Who knows.

We have already lost a couple of staff to covid in the NA region, so its very real to management.

I'm a believer that things will eventually get back to normal, might take 2, 3, 4 or 5 years.
I too think things will return to a normal state, everyone is just very frustrated at the moment which is clouding thoughts.

If we get everyone 2 doses (who wants it) by mid next year then hopefully by the end of 2022 there will be no restrictions, and that by the time we hit 80% vaccinated with all high risk at as close to 100% then open the borders.

Did hear on the radio some talk of incentives. Sad we have to do that but what ever it takes...jab rebate on the tax return or a free beer..just do it.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 07-07-2021, 02:23 PM   #12140
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Fed gov announced it would mandate vaccination for aged care workers about a week ago.
https://www.health.gov.au/news/annou...d-care-workers
Old 07-07-2021, 02:45 PM   #12141
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work Horse View Post
Fed gov announced it would mandate vaccination for aged care workers about a week ago.
https://www.health.gov.au/news/annou...d-care-workers
Yes, i saw that but this paragraph suggests they are concerned..

'This is the third time AHPPC has considered this matter. They will continue to look at the issue to ensure there are not unintended consequences as an outcome of this decision'

And i see they also suggest Pfizer be the weapon of choice.

That makes me think they know its a risky requirement and are doing what they can to mitigate any negative results, but that cant be gauranteed and so personally i believe any fallout from forced vaccination in the workplace should be covered by those making the legislation.

I also note employee's with leave entitlements are to use those to cover illness from having the jab, surely an employee shouldnt be forced to use their sick or annual leave to recover from sickness brought about by a government ordered vaccination, where the employee wouldnt otherwise need to use those if not for that compulsory directive.

From a personal perspective, im a bus driver, there are already rumours of certain clientelle requiring vaccination of us to continue using our services.
I've already lived through a blood clot scare and am prone to clotting, if this is forced on me i would have no choice other than to leave the industry.
If thats the case, my family would be forced into financial hardship until i aquired work as my Wife earns slightly over the threshold for me to be eligible for centrelink assistance in the meantime.
Its a can of worms.

For the record, im not anti vax, im anti copping the fallout for my hand being forced.

Last edited by BENT_8; 07-07-2021 at 02:55 PM.
5 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2021, 03:19 PM   #12142
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Have I logged into Weibo by accident? All I’m reading is “obey the rules”?
Was thinking the same thing.

2 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2021, 04:26 PM   #12143
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

A snag and a jab?

Bunnings, Officeworks put their hands up to host vaccine hubs
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-...lout/100274000
Old 07-07-2021, 04:45 PM   #12144
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
I too think things will return to a normal state, everyone is just very frustrated at the moment which is clouding thoughts....
Can't be too positive, you'll get labelled insensitive. Can't be too negative, you get accused of being overly critical. We must remain...neutral....

Rides (past and present)

2 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2021, 05:17 PM   #12145
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Apologies in advance, for linking an ABC article.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-...lled/100273956

This is significant because it represents overall a battle between the state government and probably the most anti-authoritarian areas of the city.
2 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2021, 05:26 PM   #12146
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Bunnings, Officeworks put their hands up to host vaccine hubs
And in typical Bunnings fashion, there will only be one person doing the jabs, with four others standing and watching with arms crossed.
5 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2021, 05:31 PM   #12147
Metdevil

Quote:
Yes, became mandatory in 2019 but havent heard of any complications in my experiences, whereas clots are a known side effect albeit in very few cases.
No vaccine is totally free of side effects, and out of the ~3 billion covid vaccine shots administered, there were reports of only a handful of clotting incidents. As a result, that particular vaccine has already been pulled from use.

These vaccines are just as safe as any flu jab. Even if you are prone to clotting, I'm sure you wouldn't be the only one in 3 billion.

If you're hesitant to get it, that's fine, it's your choice. Though, I would recommend that if it comes down to a situation where you feel you're forced to take it at the cost of your job, that you talk to your doctor about the potential risks rather than walling yourself into an internet echo chamber.
7 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2021, 05:44 PM   #12148
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Gold Standard Hazzard going off again.
This time reporters asking about the 160 odd students getting the Pfizer jab at the wealthy St Joeys Hunters Hill.
Must be part of his New World Order.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-...-jab/100273368

Old 07-07-2021, 06:23 PM   #12149
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS
Sure. You keep telling yourself what it is that needs reinforcing.
You are confusing me with someone who cares what they do. Money talks in the end.
3 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2021, 07:00 PM   #12150
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
For the record, im not anti vax, im anti copping the fallout for my hand being forced.
All valid questions IMHO. Might have to check with your GP, employer or.....lawyer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Apologies in advance, for linking an ABC article.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-...lled/100273956

This is significant because it represents overall a battle between the state government and probably the most anti-authoritarian areas of the city.
Sounds like an interesting social experiment. Can see fed up residents enforcing their own stay at home orders on other residents.

Rides (past and present)

Closed Thread