Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 30-07-2012, 09:27 PM   #1171
LyleXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Who works in the mines and what doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by druxr6t
Finally over working in the city! Too much talking and not enough doing. Going to head to perth in the next 2 months to search for work.

I've got my plumbing trade behind me with construction experience. I am now tossing up between trying to get in as a T/A or just do another apprenticeship

Where abouts should I head too in Perth...the missus and I will spend about a week there, use a few of those days searching!

youve got more chance than most on here, even with no mining or equivalent trade experience but the main factor is you are getting off your butt and going to perth chasing work, half the blokes here sit in there lounge and say i want a FIFO job from melb/syd/bris with no experience and want 200K plus salary. good on you and you should find something easy enough, even if its just a start, everyone starts somewhere
LyleXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2012, 09:31 PM   #1172
H.G
Driver Returns On Foot

I went to mackay today.. and looks like I scored a job.. apparently its still a good little hot spot for employment..
H.G is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2012, 10:42 PM   #1173
XARATE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Quality contribution which has gone somewhat un-noticed so far. 

Hey guys im just looking for a little advice in reguards to getting into the mines.
Early this year i complete my auto electrical apprenticeship and gained my automotive A/C licence.
Ive looked into a few fifo jobs but they all require experience with equipment im not to familar with. Where im at now involves 50% diagnostic intense work on light vehicles (we get all the jobs that are to hard for everyone else :-P) and 50% heavy logging equipment with the mian items being b double log trucks.
Now im quite comfortable with what i currently work on but im not sure how i' go if im thrown in the deep end and expected to fix something quickly that im not familar with. Obviously given some time i'll get to know the equipment and wont have an issue. But how do i get the experience on the gear if they wont hire someone without experience?

Ive got quite a large tool collection and keen to do a heavy vehicle mechanics apprenticeship if the chance arrives.

Im looking to move back to darwin to do fifo. I finnished my highschool in darwin and moved back to the country to do my apprenticeship, im pretty keen to get back to darwin i loved the lifestyle.
Old 30-07-2012, 11:23 PM   #1174
05_ENFORCER

WorkPac, Hays, Ranger 3 Deeps Project NT, send resume to kbutson@macmahon.com.au, or for something different try DMS Maritime (Marine lecky).

Labour hire, especially in the NT is the key to further experience/job offers.

They simply cannot get enough of local trades.

I hope this helps...

Old 31-07-2012, 07:44 AM   #1175
.bazz.
MFP s/c 290BOSS GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by [THOMMO]
We have had the same kind of speal over here in WA with the iron ore mines. All major projects are on hold and spending is at a minimum
things are still busy here on rio tinto's cape lambert site WA, with big up grades at the moment.

2007 BF MK2 XR6 TURBO UTE-winter white, y/t airbox, 60" injectors, herrod fuel pump, pwr intercooler, hot side pipe kit,CES exhaust.432rwhp 13psi http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11329995

2006 BF MK1 FPV GT-silhouette, 6sp manual, 4/4 brembo's, whipple 2.9L, custom MFP supercharger kit, hurricane exhaust, 3:73 ratio, eaton tru-trac

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
.bazz. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2012, 12:43 PM   #1176
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleXR8
youve got more chance than most on here, even with no mining or equivalent trade experience but the main factor is you are getting off your butt and going to perth chasing work, half the blokes here sit in there lounge and say i want a FIFO job from melb/syd/bris with no experience and want 200K plus salary. good on you and you should find something easy enough, even if its just a start, everyone starts somewhere
Not entirely true...someone can correct me if I am wrong but from the past month or so of applying (for grad jobs, its slightly different) that theres a huge difference between trade jobs and "professional" jobs. Both in the number of them and the way in which you can apply.

AFAIK there is no way I can just rock up and start poking about with my shiny bum uni paper and the right attitude.

Everything..I mean everything..is all done online. I am mid way through a process with a company and I cant even get an update on where I sit via the phone. "We will contact you when we are ready" is the normal reply...dont even get me started on non-reply email addresses.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2012, 03:43 PM   #1177
B&D Racing
Banned

Correct everything is decided online good luck if you recieved a job by moving local but that wont be of much use if they actually want FIFO like Caval Ridge and neglected to mention it.
So many friends have got jobs in the last few months .............. But they all still do not have a start date :(
B&D Racing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2012, 10:46 PM   #1178
XR8T3D
Starter Motor

Yeah most of it is decided online. Once you get the call to come in and fill out paperwork you've practically got the job. The selection process with some of the bigger mobs like Rio, BHP, Xstrata are pretty tedious and unless you're over qualified or know someone, you've got slim to no chance with them. Mate of mine working for my company had forklift, overhead crane, ewp, dogging/rigging and he's a boilermaker by trade for a position that required C class licence and still was dicked around after the interview to be told the job was given internally to someone else.

I'm in between transferring companies to two construction/resource mobs because my current job has slowed down and there's more restrictions on BHP's end for how many FIFO and Local guys they want per crew. Jumping ship now while I can.

2004 Pontiac GTO
XR8T3D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2012, 12:00 PM   #1179
druxr6t

Anyone here work at the Ravenworth Surface Mine near singleton? Applied for a position there. Here's hoping!

Booked in to do my Xstrata Generic Surface Induction in the next couple of weeks as well as my senior first aid next weekend.
druxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2012, 10:34 PM   #1180
Gambit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by druxr6t
Anyone here work at the Ravenworth Surface Mine near singleton? Applied for a position there. Here's hoping!

Booked in to do my Xstrata Generic Surface Induction in the next couple of weeks as well as my senior first aid next weekend.
Which mine in particular? I'm guessing rav north. It's gonna be a decent size pit when up & running.
Good luck with it mate
Gambit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2012, 11:15 PM   #1181
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.G
speaking of the mines.. anyone know of any polywelding positions available.. have experience will travel. Currently at Moura mines qld. have worked mostly with HDPE450mm but have covered everything between 63mm to 500mm electrofusion and butt welding (yes yes I know it sounds bad
been working on the water transfer project after the floods.. as well as fabrication of replacement parts for the CHPP.. plastic lasts longer than steel..

to get your name out there call
workpac
spotless
ITP
depends on where yo are and what you want to do as well I guess...
How'd you go bud?? Find anything
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2012, 11:15 PM   #1182
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.G
speaking of the mines.. anyone know of any polywelding positions available.. have experience will travel. Currently at Moura mines qld. have worked mostly with HDPE450mm but have covered everything between 63mm to 500mm electrofusion and butt welding (yes yes I know it sounds bad
been working on the water transfer project after the floods.. as well as fabrication of replacement parts for the CHPP.. plastic lasts longer than steel..

to get your name out there call
workpac
spotless
ITP
depends on where yo are and what you want to do as well I guess...
How'd you go bud?? Find anything
Quote:
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
Old 10-08-2012, 11:19 PM   #1183
H.G
Driver Returns On Foot

technically no.. although I have been toldby a company in mackay that I may have a job in a few weeks.. due to coal pricing and the coal mines trying to cut costs..
but its nothing solid.. still looking and prepared to travel.
H.G is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2012, 03:25 PM   #1184
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Pm me your mobile number mate I can pass on a txt I got for polywelders
Quote:
Old 15-08-2012, 09:20 PM   #1185
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

My little brother has a bit over a month to go until he finishes his 3rd year and becomes a trades qualified boilermaker. At the moment he is working repairing dump truck bodies, excavator buckets etc in a workshop in the hunter valley.

Long story short he has been offered a few jobs around the area in workshops and leading hand where he is now but he is really interested to know is there any fly in fly out work over western australia way for boilermakers in any of the mines? He said he knows of operator jobs and what not but unsure if there's work for boilermaker. Can anyone share any info?

[SMOKES] FG XR6 build thread - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4795218#post4795218

tankclare is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2012, 09:30 PM   #1186
XR8T3D
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankclare
My little brother has a bit over a month to go until he finishes his 3rd year and becomes a trades qualified boilermaker. At the moment he is working repairing dump truck bodies, excavator buckets etc in a workshop in the hunter valley.

Long story short he has been offered a few jobs around the area in workshops and leading hand where he is now but he is really interested to know is there any fly in fly out work over western australia way for boilermakers in any of the mines? He said he knows of operator jobs and what not but unsure if there's work for boilermaker. Can anyone share any info?
Hop on seek and search for boilermaker and regional wa for jobs. Don't use the classifications as it'll give him a broad range of jobs but there are hundreds of positions for trade qualified bmw's and fitters.

City rates are about 40-50 and fifo is about 48-60. There are tons of rosters out there 8/6, 2/1, 7/7, 3/1, 4/1 etc. Check into Aston Workforce and Hay's Recruitment. They typically take on guys without mining experience but are trade qualified and offer good rates. Aston does both city/regional fifo work and pay great rates for city and mining. Plenty of contractors out there doing shutdown work if he wants a week on week off sort of schedule.

Hays Recruitment
Lend Lease Infrastructure
Leighton
Goodline
Cape
DIAB Engineering
Schlam Engineering
TME Group
Monadelphous
Aston Workforce
MMS
AMMS
Transfield Services & Transfield Worley

Just to name a few off the top of my head. Use seek to find these companies as a lot of them don't advertise on their sites.

2004 Pontiac GTO
Old 15-08-2012, 09:53 PM   #1187
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just a general question for the couple of guys who seem to be in recruitment, do any of the mines have positions for lineworkers or liveline workers?

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2012, 10:08 PM   #1188
XR8T3D
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC1183
Just a general question for the couple of guys who seem to be in recruitment, do any of the mines have positions for lineworkers or liveline workers?
I'm not in recruitment but I've seen the ocassional position listed for linesworkers. Think they typically want 12 months experience before considering you for a spot

2004 Pontiac GTO
Old 15-08-2012, 10:45 PM   #1189
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats for powerline workers yeah? I have been trade qualified for 3.5years and now qualified to work up to 66kV live

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2012, 10:55 PM   #1190
XR8T3D
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC1183
Thats for powerline workers yeah? I have been trade qualified for 3.5years and now qualified to work up to 66kV live
Yeah just a quick search for linesman pulled this:

http://www.seek.com.au/JobSearch?Dat...man&state=3107

2004 Pontiac GTO
Old 22-08-2012, 07:01 PM   #1191
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

BHP cans Olympic Dam expansion.. no big surprise here....

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/s...-1226455884519
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2012, 07:39 PM   #1192
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Anyone here a shot firer or similar type of role?

Also, just enrolled in OHS cert IV, any sort of OH&S specific roles in the mines? I'm looking at slowly working my way up through the OH&S qualifications, they can't hurt having them anyway.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2012, 11:08 PM   #1193
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Well after applying since April I think I have maybe finally cracked through. Probably shouldnt be saying much at the moment but I am excited...got an offer on condition of medical for a position in Brisbane in a graduate program.

I did the same medical last December so I should be ok...very excited..but will be at rest when I actually sign something. Fingers crossed!
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 29-08-2012, 12:03 AM   #1194
GTENVY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Well after applying since April I think I have maybe finally cracked through. Probably shouldnt be saying much at the moment but I am excited...got an offer on condition of medical for a position in Brisbane in a graduate program.

I did the same medical last December so I should be ok...very excited..but will be at rest when I actually sign something. Fingers crossed!
Mate if you cant pass a medical for a mining job in my experience you've got something seriously wrong with you. If you are of reasonable health and dont havent any severe conditions you'll be fine

Live, Love, RACE

SOLD: AU III XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
cars are to be driven, ornaments are to be looked at. the two should never be confused.
GTENVY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2012, 12:10 AM   #1195
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTENVY
Mate if you cant pass a medical for a mining job in my experience you've got something seriously wrong with you. If you are of reasonable health and dont havent any severe conditions you'll be fine
Thanks..Im pretty sure I will be ok, and your right, no disrespect to some people in the industry but I am sure they are thankful the test doesnt seem to be needed again once your in!

Got the check Friday..looking forward to the potential move.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 30-08-2012, 01:49 AM   #1196
XR8T3D
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTENVY
Medical is quite easy and can differ with each medical place. Having done a few myself, they're very easy and I agree if you can't pass something is seriously wrong with you.

I'm off to a 4:1 for a few months next Wednesday. Wish me luck!

2004 Pontiac GTO
Old 31-08-2012, 05:33 PM   #1197
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

http://www.news.com.au/business/here...-1226462427189
Is the boom coming to an end ? I met 2 contractors that got the flick in the last week...... They both said it is starting to get a bit grim. With the price of coal at the moment and the labour costs, is the boom sustainable ?
Old 31-08-2012, 05:58 PM   #1198
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I alo read an artile today that capital invetment is still going strong, up 3.4% or something..118B in the pipeline..ill see if i can find the article
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 31-08-2012, 06:18 PM   #1199
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Personally I reckon the boom has been over for quite a while. The media keeps talking it up but we really haven't been in a boom since the GFC.

There has been plenty of growth but the days of super profits ( which is what I would associate with a boom) are just not there. Margins are quite skinny with the price of coal and iron ore at the moment, along with the extra taxes introduced in the last few years. Australia is becoming less and less of an attractive place to dig stuff out of the ground.
XR6TCraig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2012, 01:18 AM   #1200
Supel_11
Starter Motor

Hay mate go and do your generic 4 day course, cause basically if u hand your resume in and u don't have it, it goes through one and and to the bin check this site out http://www.minesrescueservices.com/ and go from there
Cheers
Supel_11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post