Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

View Poll Results: Should Australians celebrate Halloween ?
Yes 27 12.74%
No 185 87.26%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 02:47 AM   #91
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Who cares!!
Old 01-11-2007, 03:57 AM   #92
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
I'm sick to death on how American some Australians want to be.
Why?I vote no to halloween, most Aussies don't know which date it's on. Kids just think its a way to get freebys or to vandal.
I think it's a ploy to sell more pumpkins at this time of the year and clear out the winter stocks.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:06 AM   #93
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
I'm sick to death on how American some Australians want to be.

Why?

I vote no to halloween, most Aussies don't know which date it's on. Kids just think its a way to get freebys or to vandal.
Maybe half of Aussies are wanna be Americans, and the other half are trying to rebel against such influences, that hardly any Australians are not thinking about America at all? LOL
Old 01-11-2007, 10:07 AM   #94
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep this American influence is terrible. Next thing you know we will be installing American V8 engines in our cars and copying their model names like GT, Cobra and BOSS.
Of course the zealots will insist that this is actually an Australian tradition and the engines are named after the factories in Windsor in Sydney and Cleveland in Brisbane.

Oops sorry dude, my bad........
Old 01-11-2007, 10:07 AM   #95
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gz1
At least the Irish were smart enough to stop it.
Was that an Irish joke? hehe
Old 01-11-2007, 10:49 AM   #96
bowsaw

I think that we have enough americanisation here, such as spelling, kids with their fathers pants on hich hang round their ankles, wannabe gangstas, wannabe Fast n Furious etc, stuffed if i am letting my kids partake in this, they dont want to either, i put forward a convincing arguement, and they saw the sense in it. I thought my Ford was made in Australia, with a Barra engine, maybe thats why they call the company Ford Australia????
Old 01-11-2007, 11:01 AM   #97
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfr rob
I tend to answer the door naked this time of year, keeps the kids away, but attracts some "different" people.
Yet you keep doing it

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowsaw
I thought my Ford was made in Australia, with a Barra engine, maybe thats why they call the company Ford Australia????
This seems to be a common train of thought around here. Nothing like a good double standard to justify a position.
The Toy - 03 BA GT In 'Venom', Silver BF Stripe Kit, Non-Premium Sound, Cloth Trim, Auto, 19" Staggered Vertini, Custom Exhaust, Roof DVD

Member of the FPV & XR Owners Club of ACT

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums
Old 01-11-2007, 11:16 AM   #98
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

But what would you rather them do? Nothing? Sit at home and play the Play Station? Yes every company registers the business name with "Australia" in Australia to do business in Australia. Funny about that. Ford is an American company with a manufacturing plant in Australia. As for spelling, I see "theatre" "towne" and hear people say "boot" instead of trunk and even hear people using "mate" more and more. THe difference is, that I dont have to put up with the little dog syndrome here. I dont hear poodles do their high pitch bark when they catch somebody else using terms that are commonly used in another country, if anything people say "oh thats cool" and start asking questions. I really wish it was that way in Australia, the French are known to be unfriendly to visitors, and guess what... Aussies can appear that way too.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:02 PM   #99
Bax
Projecting

I'm still confused as to why people are so against this 'American' tradition when it was started by the Irish/ Scottish.

It obviously gets more coverage by the American's, because they love their candy.

But it seems to be as though most people are getting onto the I don't want to be like America bandwagon before they even know the meanings and origin of the day.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:37 PM   #100
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i wish we had thanksgiving here. all the food with none of present shopping
Old 01-11-2007, 04:57 PM   #101
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||

Now there's an American tradition I could go for...whaddya say Bucky??
The Toy - 03 BA GT In 'Venom', Silver BF Stripe Kit, Non-Premium Sound, Cloth Trim, Auto, 19" Staggered Vertini, Custom Exhaust, Roof DVD

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums
Old 01-11-2007, 08:07 PM   #102
bowsaw

I think we have adopted enough of other countries customs, what little ones we had are fast dissapearing, either due to the Govt not wanting to offend others, or people not caring about their own culture, maybe its because i am a grumpy old man, who can remember the days when there was no violent bashings of old people, when kids respected/feared coppers and didnt pretend to be gangstas bro, with pants around their ankles, i am against adopting any customs that arent our own now, as i said, we have enough of other customs etc. The only custom i see getting better in this country, is ANZAC DAY, as a member of the RSL, i have seem the number of kids attending Dawn Service increase 10 fold, so there is some hope yet. Thats my 2 bob, and n more posting in this thread for me, i get on my soap box to easy, have a nice day people, and yanks lol.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:12 PM   #103
boss-290

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||
Yeah, but I don't like turkey. :
Old 01-11-2007, 08:15 PM   #104
Falcon Freak
Banned

9 out of 10 respondents voted that Halloween does not belong in Australia. The masses have spoken. Enough said.

FF
Old 01-11-2007, 08:23 PM   #105
XR8putts

I had two male teens at the door, didn't say 'trick or treat' and just expected a hand out. I asked them what they were dressed up as, they said they were gangsters.

The both had thier hoodies on. Seriously.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:40 PM   #106
gtfpv
GT

: think holloween is terrible . wait till your on a train and a 15 year old boy in a feminist voice with no shirt and peirced nipples, comes up and theth to you
happy maardii graahhh.
suppose that cam from UNCLE SAM TOO .
Old 02-11-2007, 12:58 PM   #107
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
: think holloween is terrible . wait till your on a train and a 15 year old boy in a feminist voice with no shirt and peirced nipples, comes up and theth to you
happy maardii graahhh.
suppose that cam from UNCLE SAM TOO .
No, that one we can blame on Victorians I think

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums
Old 02-11-2007, 06:50 PM   #108
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Freak
9 out of 10 respondents voted that Halloween does not belong in Australia. The masses have spoken. Enough said.

FF
Well Ok then, based on that I will never have a halloween party again.... I hope that the masses will forgive me and my kids and freinds for getting out into the neighbourhood and having fun.

Some people really need to get a life!!! :
Old 02-11-2007, 06:59 PM   #109
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
Well Ok then, based on that I will never have a halloween party again.... I hope that the masses will forgive me and my kids and freinds for getting out into the neighbourhood and having fun.

Some people really need to get a life!!! :

And some people need to respect others opinions. :
The poll shows you in the minority, get over it.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:00 PM   #110
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Our family doesn't celebrate it. (We also don't celebrate Independance Day or Thanks Giving.)

Don't have anything against people who do, it's their choice. But don't come knocking on our door, we don't keep any American 'candy' in the house either.

We're more interested in Australian traditions.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:11 PM   #111
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
And some people need to respect others opinions. :
The poll shows you in the minority, get over it.
How about you do the same. With your arrogant "the masses have spoken" Like I could give a tinkers cuss about what the masses think!!!
Old 02-11-2007, 08:20 PM   #112
Focussed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

regardless what "the masses" think, halloween is here to stay & more than likely this thread will start again next year.
get used to it
Old 02-11-2007, 08:25 PM   #113
broken_suave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Had half a dozen teenaged girls on the door step tonight, i felt kind of strange giving them lollies.... ESPECIALLY when they yelled "trick or treat"! :dr_Evil:
Sounds like it could have been a Trick and a Treat..

*Brain: "SHH!! Dont say that you'll get arrested!!"

Previously:
98 AU Futura 4.0 - Wildcat Extractors, 200cpsi Stainless Cat, Custom 2.5" Mandrel Bent Exhaust, Tickford Snorkel, Fram 'Airhog' Panel Filter - Daily

79 P6 LTD Silver Monarch - Project
Old 02-11-2007, 08:33 PM   #114
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
How about you do the same. With your arrogant "the masses have spoken" Like I could give a tinkers cuss about what the masses think!!!

Try reading whom you quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Freak

FF
Quote:
Who cares!!
Well it seems you do now.

Speaking of arrogance, stop shoving your opinion down the throat of others that disagree with you.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:47 PM   #115
broken_suave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapn_Kiwi
Agreed, and I hope you had a good 4th of July too. That said, Halloween's not explicitly American.

That said, being the closest thing to "International goth day", It is a chance to have fun if you're one of the darker characters about.

Us darker characters, those of us making up the goth contingent at least, have better things to do..

Emo kids however.. I'm sure they had a blast going trick or treating dressed as my chemical romance..

F'n emos

Previously:
98 AU Futura 4.0 - Wildcat Extractors, 200cpsi Stainless Cat, Custom 2.5" Mandrel Bent Exhaust, Tickford Snorkel, Fram 'Airhog' Panel Filter - Daily

79 P6 LTD Silver Monarch - Project
Old 02-11-2007, 09:06 PM   #116
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

This reminds me so much of so many arguments I never cared about. aaah memories.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Closed Thread