Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-05-2016, 02:30 PM   #91
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Default Re: Learner drivers... give them a chance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post
Fair post I guess.
Cars generally don't come to a sudden stop half way around a roundabout. I didn't hit them, so I guess I left enough room yeah?
I was already wary of the car as it was.

The L-plate not being visible was my point of course. Had it been in plain sight I probably would have stayed further back and I certainly would not have lent on the horn to let them know what an *** they have been.

Like someone else said, I have also seen the plates hidden behind tinted glass on hatchbacks with raked rear screens. Its not much different to not wearing them if nobody can see them.

My old man attached huge truck L Plates to mums Corona when I was 16. You could spot them from the adjacent suburb.
I guess theres a lesson in what happened to you for all of us, we shouldnt naturally assume that the person infront, behind or beside us is competent.

I consider myself a defensive driver, confident in my own abilities, whilst cautious of everone around me because as i said earlier, it doesnt matter who's in the right, accidents are everything from inconvenient to tragic and avoidable at all costs if possible.

Trust no one.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-05-2016, 07:48 PM   #92
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallye Sport View Post
if you're going to hit the horn give it a 'toot toot' not a prolonged blast... .
I think the issue is the unrealistic restriction on learner driver's speed. They aren't allowed to go with the flow of traffic and end up being a mobile road block.
Old 06-05-2016, 12:04 AM   #93
STEALTHY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boza View Post
Some people think they fell out of the womb as the world's best driver and forget they we're once a learner themselves and love to give L plasters grief I can't stand these people a family member turns 16 this month and will be getting his learner's.
As a few members here have posted, and i'm sure is the reason for 90% of the anger, its directed towards the instructor, not the learner.

Maybe people wanting to teach their kids should be proactive and learn the rules (even if theres not a law making you do it ;))
STEALTHY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2016, 10:43 AM   #94
getabout

RS, you've got the right ideas when it comes to teaching learners, very good post. I used to be a bit of a 'problem' and lost my licence twice for drink driving, just glad I didn't kill some poor bugger. Got my act together a lot better these days and don't even drink. Anyway, after the second time I ended up on a learner permit when I reapplied for my licence. I wanted to make sure that I was driving properly as well as getting my licence back etc so I got some lessons with a driving school and on one lesson I 'd pulled up at an intersection when a car load of young blokes next to us decided to have a stir ie "hey, look at the learner ha ha ha", mostly the driver who was a boy of about 19. I'd had years of experience driving and really felt like giving it to the little bastard(s) but just held my tongue. I wish I'd said to the punk that he too would lose his ticket or perhaps die in a prang one day. Regarding getting my ticket back, I lost it for 4 years second time but didn't bother going for my licence again as I was too unstable, so it was six long years without driving. Another reason I wanted good lessons was because I was way down on confidence, even though I'd previously driven for a few years. Learners MUST be taught properly and given a fair go.
getabout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2016, 10:49 PM   #95
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

People gave me plenty of room when I was learning to drive