Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 14-08-2012, 11:43 PM   #91
lethal66

Default Re: HSV W427 vs other high powered V8 and turbo 6 cylinder sedans

Guys if Holden got serious fpv have no chance. There Hsv's have the same motor as the vette z06 without the supercharger. Now if Hsv decide to use that exact same package in the vette I'm afraid to say fpv will be completely obliviated.
Old 14-08-2012, 11:52 PM   #92
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think it's a pretty good car.
But there is no way in hell I would pay that much money for one.

There are 2 2009 models for sale on Car Point. Both at $125,000.
Sure it's rare, but I can't part with that much money for a used HSV.
Old 14-08-2012, 11:55 PM   #93
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
Not really a valid point.

We could always spend $90,000 on an FPV (tarted up Falcon) and still have bigger toubles than a $15,000 Korean POS...
I think its a pretty valid point because at the end of the day thats all a W427 is. a tarted up commodore. same as and FPV being a tarted up falcon. $90 000 is alot less the $155k. I can justify $90 000 on a FPV or HSV but no way on earth $155 000. plus if kia did realise a supercar that cost $155 000. people would winge and say "its just a korean heap of crud" same as people say "Its just a commodore" with the W427.
Old 14-08-2012, 11:57 PM   #94
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lethal66
Guys if Holden got serious fpv have no chance. There Hsv's have the same motor as the vette z06 without the supercharger. Now if Hsv decide to use that exact same package in the vette I'm afraid to say fpv will be completely obliviated.
I wonder if the 5.8L in the shelby GT500 would fit in the FG. ford are already on the ball when it comes too performance cars. we just dont get them here.
Old 15-08-2012, 09:51 AM   #95
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildrider
I wonder if the 5.8L in the shelby GT500 would fit in the FG. ford are already on the ball when it comes too performance cars. we just dont get them here.
There's no point, the GT 335's power is deliberately understated for a very good reason...
Old 15-08-2012, 09:57 AM   #96
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
There's no point, the GT 335's power is deliberately understated for a very good reason...
thats it theres so much room to move in the miamis power levels if a horsepower war erupted properly fpv wont be outgunned all that easily.
Old 15-08-2012, 09:58 AM   #97
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
I think its a pretty valid point because at the end of the day thats all a W427 is. a tarted up commodore. same as and FPV being a tarted up falcon. $90 000 is alot less the $155k. I can justify $90 000 on a FPV or HSV but no way on earth $155 000. plus if kia did realise a supercar that cost $155 000. people would winge and say "its just a korean heap of crud" same as people say "Its just a commodore" with the W427.
replace 'people' with 'blind uneducated morons' and that reads much better
Old 15-08-2012, 10:17 AM   #98
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
thats it theres so much room to move in the miamis power levels if a horsepower war erupted properly fpv wont be outgunned all that easily.
You got it.
Understated power levels gives a competitor's marketing precious little to rage against..
Holden could come out with a 450 Kw 6.2, probably will for a halo car but everyone
will know that the GT 335 is still the tough yardstick to pass...
Old 15-08-2012, 11:02 PM   #99
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:

If I was a newbie on here, I'd be very wary of buying any Ford.....

All the wonderful after sales service you receive. The lack of problems they suffer and the wonderful help you get having them fixed....This is all coming from this forum.

Kia releasing a supercar.....UUMMM.....I don't seem to see many issues with this brand of car, so if the funds were available, it'd be worth considering....Come to think of it, most Korean POS's don't seem to have that many problems, especially compared to the Holden and Fords.

A $155,000 crappadore....These cars don't seem to suffer the same issues as the blue ovaled counterpart.....Yes they have their own inherant problems, but they don't seem to have as many....

So spending that sort of coin on any of them, you'd be looking seriously at any inherant problems associated with that brand, along with the after sales service you get with that particular brand....That means, you'd avoid Ford, due to the complaints on here about that brand.

Finally, I'm not against either brand, despite how it may seem....Just pointing out what I read on here.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
Old 16-08-2012, 12:58 AM   #100
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just because ford have bad customer service doesnt make the falcon (or any ford) a bad car. i have no problems with kia and i couldnt care less wether kia made a supercar for $155,000 or not. i'm just stating what people are like. then again if they did make one i'd laugh if it was faster then a W427!! my mother had a kia cerato and up untill the crash it was a good car. everyone was ok thank god. my only complaint with it was the fact it had no temperature gauge. only had an idiot light! so i can say there alot better then the korean cars of 10 - 15 years ago. for the price you pay for a W427 you wouldnt want any problems!! I see more commodores broken down on the side of the road then any other car or being towed and most people (not all) i know with commodores have nothing but problems. i dont mind the commodore in saying that thou but can i at least drive two automatic commodores that dont "hunt" gears when driving??? I've only driven one that seemed too know what gear too be in (VE) when accelerating heavily or going up a steep hill. even when i drove my AU with a busted transmission it knew what gear too be in!!!
Old 16-08-2012, 01:15 AM   #101
dallasv8
5.8 litres of fun

we only see the problems falcons have because we are in a Ford forum. im sure the holden forums have just as many issues with commodes as the falcons if we went to look at commode forums.
people say if HSV kept on with the performance cars FPV wouldnt have a chance....imagine if Ford was able to release the phase 4 etc etc, the performance market in Aus could be a whole lot different about now.At the moment but, FPV have some pretty kick *** cars, especially with the R Spec coming along.
Old 17-08-2012, 12:22 AM   #102
OZQUAD44
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

SVO, I've had pretty goods runs out of all my Falcons, but your bound to find people discussing their car failures in a car forum it comes with the territory. Unfortunately when it comes to cars its never the good things people seem to write about, its always the bad. Which can be misrepresentative of the wider community experience. The high level of Ford cars registered on Australian roads despite years of second fiddle in the new car sales race is testament to me on the reliability of Australian Fords.

I suspect most KIA's are just relatively cheap modes of transport to the large majority of their owners, so the lack of criticism could be linked to indifference. Not sure if there is an Australian KIA forum or not, but I'm pretty sure there is a definite lack of KIA enthusiasts spending small fortunes modifying and re-storing their pride and joy KIAs. Ford supporters, and Holden supporters for that matter, wear their hearts on their sleeves and unfortunately it brings out the worst in us.

I doubt that KIA could sell a $150K modified RIO, but if you don't see an issue with that, I'll stand corrected.

Vroom Vroom go the RIO......
Old 17-08-2012, 12:35 AM   #103
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZQUAD44
SVO, I've had pretty goods runs out of all my Falcons, but your bound to find people discussing their car failures in a car forum it comes with the territory. Unfortunately when it comes to cars its never the good things people seem to write about, its always the bad. Which can be misrepresentative of the wider community experience. The high level of Ford registered on Australian roads despite years of second fiddle in the new car sales race is testament to me on the reliability of Australian Fords.

I suspect most KIA's are just relatively cheap modes of transport to the large majority of their owners, so the lack of criticism could be linked to indifference. Not sure if there is an Australian KIA forum or not, but I'm pretty sure there is a definite lack of KIA enthusiasts spending small fortunes modifying and re-storing their pride and joy KIAs. Ford supporters, and Holden supporters for that matter, wear their hearts on their sleeves and unfortunately it brings out the worst in us.

I doubt that KIA could sell a $150K modified RIO, but if you don't see an issue with that, I'll stand corrected.

the main reason mum got the Cerato was because she couldnt drive the BA anymore. it was a great car but with mum getting older she was finding it harder to drive the big girl anymore. If i didnt spend 2 grand on an new transmission on my AU at the time i probablly would of brought the BA off mum. oh well and yea the Kia was a cheap car but it was a good car like i said before. the lack of a temperature gauge was the only thing that worried me abit but i'm for ever watching temperature gauges. something my dad pretty much told me too always keep an eye on while driving when i was learning how to drive. so thats why i'm more concerned with the temperature gauge then any other gauge
Old 17-08-2012, 07:02 PM   #104
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
SVO, I've had pretty goods runs out of all my Falcons, but your bound to find people discussing their car failures in a car forum it comes with the territory. Unfortunately when it comes to cars its never the good things people seem to write about, its always the bad. Which can be misrepresentative of the wider community experience. The high level of Ford cars registered on Australian roads despite years of second fiddle in the new car sales race is testament to me on the reliability of Australian Fords.

Personally I see what the problems are with a particular make of car and then nut out how to fix the problem....However I do read and hear alot of idiots bagging a different brand of car, even though they have never ever owned one and have stated they never will...

I wouldn't really care what Korean brand car came here with a price tag round the $150K mark....If the car didn't have big issues, then it'd be worth looking at adding to the collection...However people are saying, no way would they buy a no name car like the Kia...Why????I can only assume, they know bugger all about them, so avoid like the plague...One track mind, combined with low mentality...

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
Old 17-08-2012, 09:16 PM   #105
SLVR GT
Lightning

Ya can't beat a na V8! I don't care how much power FPV get out of the 5.0L. A na V8 will always trump a blown motor!
Old 17-08-2012, 09:30 PM   #106
Cambo351
Jag built with Ford money

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVR GT
Ya can't beat a na V8! I don't care how much power FPV get out of the 5.0L. A na V8 will always trump a blown motor!
Oh really? Turn your speakers up & listen to this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa5ivpJwmIQ
Old 17-08-2012, 09:51 PM   #107
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambo351
Oh really? Turn your speakers up & listen to this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa5ivpJwmIQ
their a tangable differance between an big cube N/A small block as their is a big cube big block and a blown small block and big block.

drive/listen to all four.
Old 17-08-2012, 09:57 PM   #108
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVR GT
Well actually the reason why the coyote was used was because EVERYTHING beat N/A V8s..........
Old 17-08-2012, 10:00 PM   #109
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Well actually the reason why the coyote was used was because EVERYTHING beat N/A V8s..........
was that born in the USA, or dancing in the dark?
Old 17-08-2012, 10:07 PM   #110
Cambo351
Jag built with Ford money

Forced induction is the way of the future, you cannot deny facts.

Ford & FPV = Supercharged Coyote, and don't forget the GT in the US, 5.4L modular with a Lysholm twin-screw, the Mustangs with Eatons, and then the XR6-Turbo, F6, G6E, etc..

Jaguar = Supercharged V8's and now S/C V6's too, in the past S/C inline six

Audi = Twin Turbo V8 & now V10 in the RS6, lots of Turbocharged models

BMW = Ditched the N/A 5.0L V10 in the M5 for a twin-turbo V8

Merc/AMG = All the big guns have been Kompressor's

Almost every Japanese hi-po has been turbocharged since the 90's

The XR6-Turbo rearranged the Aussie muscle car scene...

And, and, and...
Old 17-08-2012, 10:15 PM   #111
OZQUAD44
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
One track mind, combined with low mentality...
Since your response was to me, I can only assume your intention was present company excepted....?
Old 17-08-2012, 10:19 PM   #112
PlukaDuck

Quote:
The W427 was an expensive exercise to deliver what FPV F6 and GT 335 experience for a fraction of the price...
The coming R Spec GT335 and 275 rear tyres should put the GT into the 11s at the strip with no other mods.

HSV won't be taking a back seat either, the rumored S/C 6.2 for the GTS should keep Holden fans more than pleased.

Time and technology moves on..

If that is the LS9 Engine from the ZR1 Corvette then ford are in real trouble.
640 HP at the flywheel and loads of torque.
Those ZR1'S are one meen mother of a car. I would call them SUPERCAR.
They smoke merc's, lambo's, porsche, Nissan gtr and the list goes on.

Then of course FORD took the shackles of this old school girl to shut up CHEV..
http://jalopnik.com/5346219/ac-cobra...s-corvette-zr1
Old 17-08-2012, 10:43 PM   #113
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlukaDuck
If that is the LS9 Engine from the ZR1 Corvette then ford are in real trouble.
640 HP at the flywheel and loads of torque.
Those ZR1'S are one meen mother of a car. I would call them SUPERCAR.
They smoke merc's, lambo's, porsche, Nissan gtr and the list goes on.
This is a simple equation,
Today, here and now FPV is providing a Blown 5.0 V8 in two levels of tune,
Today, here and now HSV is providing a 6.2 NA V8 in two or three levels of tune,

HSV will probably keep with the NA 6.2 on lower series cars and a blown 6.2 on the GTS
but FPV will still be providing a more powerful blown V8 in their lower level cars..

Last edited by jpd80; 17-08-2012 at 10:49 PM.
Old 17-08-2012, 10:53 PM   #114
PlukaDuck

Quote:
This is a simple equation,
Today, here and now FPV is providing a Blown 5.0 V8 in two levels of tune,
Today, here and now HSV is providing a 6.2 NA V8 in two or three levels of tune,

HSV will probably keep with the NA 6.2 on lower series cars and a blown 6.2 on the GTS
but FPV will still be providing a more powerful blown V8 in their lower level cars..
Hmmmmmmm........... I have owned fords all my life and currently own 3.

But if ford go down that road with all there performance cars being turbo or supercharged then i will SWITCH TO HOLDEN.
One more gone to the dark side
Old 17-08-2012, 11:05 PM   #115
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

But if ford go down that road with all there performance cars being turbo or supercharged then i will SWITCH TO HOLDEN.
HUH?
Ford/FPV has been that way for near on two years....

I take it all three of those cars you own were bought brand new,

I for one will be sad to see you go...
Old 17-08-2012, 11:30 PM   #116
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Ummm, one second you are raving about the virtues of LS9 (which is a SUPERCHARGED engine) and then you rabbit on about how if Ford move away from N/A (which they did about two years ago) you will go to Holden.

Duck you certainly are plucked........
Old 17-08-2012, 11:36 PM   #117
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
HUH?
Ford/FPV has been that way for near on two years....

I take it all three of those cars you own were bought brand new,

I for one will be sad to see you go...

Bit more than 2 years....Started with the Typhoon, which came out with the BF, I think....That makes it near on 5 years

Old 17-08-2012, 11:38 PM   #118
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Since your response was to me, I can only assume your intention was present company excepted....?

Was it????

Old 17-08-2012, 11:38 PM   #119
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Bit more than 2 years....Started with the Typhoon, which came out with the BF, I think....That makes it near on 5 years
BAII - 7 years
Old 17-08-2012, 11:47 PM   #120
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
BAII - 7 years
Actually 8 years, 2004 were the first of them but there was a delay until 2005 while the clutch issue was resolved and realistically it was the XR6 turbo in 2002 that started it all.
Closed Thread