Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-04-2010, 08:32 PM   #91
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Mazda have a sales target of 680 Mazda 6's a month according to yesterdays Carsguide. Mondeo sales are getting up to 500 a month with the diesel wagon yet to come to attract fleets.

By those numbers the 6 is not the dominant sales force you think it is. Mondeo will outsell it if some fleets switch from Falcon wagon to Mondeo wagon.
I hope so!
I will say this, if the 6 was offered with an auto rather than just a manual with the diesel engine it would be far more popular.... especially the wagon, in fact id own one now..

Old 03-04-2010, 08:38 PM   #92
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Mondeo is selling well, the medium segment has never been a large one and there's not much growth in it so all these cars are fighting for a small bit of pie. If the fleets come on board with the diesel wagon, they'll be fine.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:52 PM   #93
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
I hope so!
I will say this, if the 6 was offered with an auto rather than just a manual with the diesel engine it would be far more popular.... especially the wagon, in fact id own one now..
With Europe being so manual diesel loving most manufacturers seem to be ignoring diesel autos, but DSG's are changing that ie. VW, Ford etc where DSG's can provide the economy of a manual and the self shifting from an auto.

I don't think Mazda will have an auto for the diesel in this product cycle.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2010, 11:56 PM   #94
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
I don't think Mazda will have an auto for the diesel in this product cycle.
It looks as though you may be right. It appears that there will be a diesel auto Mazda 6 in the next generation.

Is 43mpg roughly 4.2L/100km? Or have I stuffed up?

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/31/m...d-like-43-mpg/
Quote:
Mazda6 diesel confirmed with hybrid-like 43 MPG
by Steven J. Ewing (RSS feed) on Mar 31st 2010 at 2:35PM

If there's one thing we're clamoring for here in the U.S., it's more diesel engines in passenger cars. Mazda will soon be answering our cries, as it plans to launch its all-new SKY-D powertrain in its "next-generation mid-sized car" (read: Mazda6) sometime in 2012.

The big news about this engine is that it's expected to achieve up to 43 miles per gallon on the highway, trumping the current class-leader of fuel economy in the mid-size sedan department, the Ford Fusion Hybrid. This powerplant will be mated to a brand new six-speed automatic transmission, called SKY-Drive, and will not only meet Tier 2 Bin 5 regulations, but will meet North America's strict emissions standards.

In addition to the SKY-D diesel engine, Mazda has said that it plans to build a new SKY-G gasoline engine that when coupled to the SKY-Drive six-speed automatic will provide 15 percent better fuel economy than the its petrol poweplants currently in use. Hit the jump to read the full details in Mazda's press release.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2010, 11:21 PM   #95
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman88
Still, the light segment is pretty damn small so overall i'm sticking to my guns...
By small, do you mean the 2nd best segment in Australia?? Becuase that is where the light segment end 2009!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0i_SiX
Because anyone I talk to about it cringes as soon as I say the word Mondeo. Its the same with the Taurus. The last time both name plates were here in Australia they were an abomination that left a bitter taste in peoples mouths.

its obviously too late to change the name now, but I wonder how much better it would have sold if it were introduced under a different name
Where either of these 2 cars ever sold in big enough numbers to do that much damage?? Personally I think the poorly built Falcon of the time did more damage to Ford than these 2 ever did.
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2010, 11:37 PM   #96
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01
It looks as though you may be right. It appears that there will be a diesel auto Mazda 6 in the next generation.

Is 43mpg roughly 4.2L/100km? Or have I stuffed up?

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/31/m...d-like-43-mpg/
Nah US MPG, which is 5.5L/100km
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2010, 11:40 PM   #97
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
By small, do you mean the 2nd best segment in Australia?? Becuase that is where the light segment end 2009!!

Where either of these 2 cars ever sold in big enough numbers to do that much damage?? Personally I think the poorly built Falcon of the time did more damage to Ford than these 2 ever did.
Atleast that 'poorly' built Falcon was and still is cheap to fix. Priced anything for a Taurus or Mondeo lately?
I dont ever remember the EF/EL being that badly built, hell in some ways its better than BA/BF

Old 05-04-2010, 10:21 AM   #98
4.0i_SiX
SiX_iN_a_RoW

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
Atleast that 'poorly' built Falcon was and still is cheap to fix. Priced anything for a Taurus or Mondeo lately?
I dont ever remember the EF/EL being that badly built, hell in some ways its better than BA/BF

agreed 100% The EF-EL was one of the best falcons made IMO. The only downfall was they still suffered from headgaset issues. The interiors are still holding up nicely today and the ones I drive for work ( roadworthy's, general servicing etc ) still drive really well. We still get plenty of old mondeo's and Sore-asses through. What a heap of junk. Riddled with electrical issues and parts are hard to get and very exxy....Noone I know would have one

Once bitten twice shy, look what it took to warm the public back up to the Falcon after the XK fiasco
Old 05-04-2010, 10:53 AM   #99
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:

Mmmmmm ............... Door lock actuators
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2010, 11:42 AM   #100
tick6vct
AU-XR-S3-VCT

theres a diference between well built and built to last!
tick6vct is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2010, 02:15 PM   #101
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My point being, they ever sold enough Mondeos to get such a bad name.. They were properly more Falcons built with problems then Mendeo's sold!! Perspective is what I trying to say!! We don’t call for the Falcon to change names so why do we say it for Mendeo when they sold so few of them & were sold 2-3 decades ago?
Old 05-04-2010, 02:37 PM   #102
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tick6vct
theres a diference between well built and built to last!
Hear, hear!
Old 05-04-2010, 03:41 PM   #103
4.0i_SiX
SiX_iN_a_RoW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
My point being, they ever sold enough Mondeos to get such a bad name.. They were properly more Falcons built with problems then Mendeo's sold!! Perspective is what I trying to say!! We don’t call for the Falcon to change names so why do we say it for Mendeo when they sold so few of them & were sold 2-3 decades ago?

So how come whenever I mention the word to people they cringe and tell me about the heaps of ******** that were sold here back in the 90s? I explain to them that theyre a totally different car and have come a long way etc. Do all of these "90's mondeo haters" have someone like me to show them the way? no, and the slow sales prove it

All you have to do is type mondeo into google and you are bombarded with bad reviews of earlier mondeos, enough to turn most away. You have to remember that the general public are idiots when it comes to cars, they think the commodore is and has always been, true blue aussie
Old 05-04-2010, 05:34 PM   #104
perthxr6t
PERTHXR6T

Well we have had the MB XR5T Mondeo since Jan 08 and we have had only 2 very small problems and the car has nearly do 30 thou.

The better half drives it more than me but from my point of view they are fine to drive on the HWY and around town. Smooth to drive with very little road noise.

Manual 6 speed is better than the BA F6 we had and it handles very well around town ( Lowered by 25mm ) You wouldn't even know it is FWD when driving normally.Clutch is very good as is throttle control and seating position.

Engine runs smooth so no complains there and plenty of leg room in the car for driver and passengers. We don't use the air con that much and yes they have had a low gas problem but the dealer will top it up free of charge so whats the big deal with people complaining about it?

Fuel mileage is fine with 700k's per tank 90% city driving for us. You get used to the dash layout and it works fine but we don't use the voice commands as it's faster to do it yourself but the voice command is so you don't take your eyes off the road i guess which is a good thing.

It's a bloody good car if given half a chance and if we get sick of it we just get in the BF F6 and go out in that :thebirds:

The world we drive our cars in is changing and before long every car will have all the fancy gadgets for safety etc etc. Just be lucky we have had the chance to drive some old school cars with brute power as 50 years down the track they may all be banned from the roads for safety reasons.

Panther Black XR5T Mondeo
Sunroof
BlueTooth
Mods So Far

Air Box Mod
Lowered Eibach Springs 25mm
Alloy foot Pedals
Waiting for the Edit to come
Custom Cat Back Zorst
perthxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2010, 07:15 PM   #105
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So how come whenever I mention the word to people they cringe and tell me about the heaps of ******** that were sold here back in the 90s? I explain to them that theyre a totally different car and have come a long way etc. Do all of these "90's mondeo haters" have someone like me to show them the way? no, and the slow sales prove it

All you have to do is type mondeo into google and you are bombarded with bad reviews of earlier mondeos, enough to turn most away. You have to remember that the general public are idiots when it comes to cars, they think the commodore is and has always been, true blue aussie
You seem to be missing the point!!

Also, can I suggust you actually type the word Mondoo in google (seeing that you asked me too) & see the results it gets!! I know I did & on the first 2 pages of the results I did not see anything about a model 2 decedes ago!!! Lots of postive stuff & diesel, about Wagon, about a 2011 face lift!!
Old 05-04-2010, 07:34 PM   #106
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You have to remember that the general public are idiots when it comes to cars.
You're right there, but everything else I have to disagree with. Most people are pretty lost when it comes to cars, and for this reason they don't remember the Mondeo. The people you speak of are mostly car enthusiasts or friends of, and I'd be willing to bet most of them have very strong brand loyalty to one brand. The people who are buying Mondeo buy it for the class, size, diesel engine, it's a great package. The Mondeo is selling very well, the medium segment is a small one, and Ford has a nice share of that pie. Google the Mondeo, all I see is warm reviews praising the car, along with members here who adore their Mondeos. My boss is a Holden fan, Ford invited him to sample the range, he drove everything (they wanted a fleet deal with us) and he said the Mondeo stood out as the car he would buy. He drove a G6E Turbo and all...
Old 05-04-2010, 08:08 PM   #107
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Mazda have a sales target of 680 Mazda 6's a month according to yesterdays Carsguide. Mondeo sales are getting up to 500 a month with the diesel wagon yet to come to attract fleets.

By those numbers the 6 is not the dominant sales force you think it is. Mondeo will outsell it if some fleets switch from Falcon wagon to Mondeo wagon.
Using the figures from the technical section the Mazda 6 sold twice as many cars as the Mondeo in 2009 (8758 vs 4222) and looking at the graphs the sales seem fairly stable. Thats approx 730/month for the 6 and 352/month for the Mondeo. Therefore if the Mondeo is going to outsell the 6 because of the wagon then it is going to have to take all of the Falcon wagon sales directly.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:30 PM   #108
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This year though sales are higher, and it's sitting higher to 500 a month, so the Mondeo is growing. If they can get another 100, then I think 600 a month from the Mondeo is awesome. It's hard to say too much more from a car with tough competition, a name that is still not out there and the fact it's in a market where medium sales are rather static, and have been for some time. It finally sells more than the dopey Holden Epica though, so that's a bonus!
Old 05-04-2010, 09:51 PM   #109
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Yes they are above 2009's monthly average this year but thats only 2 months (Jan and Feb). It would be closer to a 450/month average not 500, but that is splitting hairs. In Dec they sold 315 Mondeos. You can hardly say that 2 months a trend. Maybe a trend forming, but definately not a trend. Only time will tell.

I certainly feel that the Mondeo has some short comings compared to the Mazda 6 (and some advantages) and these shortcomings are why I have ordered a Mazda 6 myself (If only there was a decent Falcon wagon). The main one I feel are the engines (except for the XR5) and the weight they have to deal with. However this will change a little when the facelift comes online.

So yes it will be interesting in the coming months to see if the numbers stay up there.

Last edited by naddis01; 05-04-2010 at 10:00 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:01 PM   #110
4.0i_SiX
SiX_iN_a_RoW

No actually friends of my girlfriend and their parents etc. Either way if they can get 600-700 a month than I guess it is going ok. Otherwise its pointless for Ford to even bother with it at all. The mid size segment is a small yet highly competitive one. To me midsized cars are pointless anyway, Most of them are usually too small for my idea of a decent family car but also too heavy for the underpowered 4 cylinders they run. As for the v6 models you might as well get a lrage car. Not my cup of tea,,Falcons and landcruisers for me ;)
Old 05-04-2010, 10:24 PM   #111
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Either way if they can get 600-700 a month than I guess it is going ok. Otherwise its pointless for Ford to even bother with it at all.
Well even if they only achieve 400 a month, that's 400 more sales they are getting and showing more people the wonderful product Ford offers.

Quote:
Midsized cars are pointless anyway, Most of them are usually too small for my idea of a decent family car but also too heavy for the underpowered 4 cylinders they run.
About 3000 people a month disagree with you there. The Mondeo is just about the same size as a Falcon, and by the time it gets the 2.0L EcoBoost and 140kw diesel it'll be quite swift and fuel efficient. Here's to hoping they give us a more powerful XR5 Turbo too!

While the Mondeo has been up and down in the sales charts since re-arriving, this is a good sign. January and February are typically slow, so I hope the Mondeo can continue this trend. Ford do have issues with supply right now too. The issue is they can't manage their supply very well, not that they can't get the cars.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:58 PM   #112
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

3000 people? Not sure about that. Most Camrys are fleet...

Old 06-04-2010, 12:31 PM   #113
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
3000 people? Not sure about that. Most Camrys are fleet...
Well if you take all the medium cars (excluding the Toyota Camry and premium medium cars such as the C-Class etc) for the year of 2009 sales are about 30,000. Even without the Camry that's 2,500 a month in medium cars, include the Camry as it is classed as a medium car, and that's well over 3,000 a month. Private or fleet sales, the segment is still an important one. The point being that if Ford sell 400 Mondeo models a month it's better in their pocket than people going to the Camry or Epica, isn't it?
Old 06-04-2010, 05:46 PM   #114
Bossxr8
Peter Car

When Ford first released the Mondeo they said they would be happy with 500 a month, saying it would be a healthy slice of the medium car market for them to take. Its taken a while but they seem to be finally getting up to where they wanted.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2010, 08:57 AM   #115
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its a shame they have dropped the Falcon wagon, personally I'd buy a SUV like the Territory over any wagon but I still think there is a niche for them.

Take the Sportswagon - as much as I hate GM, a lowered V8 one in black with the quad exhausts and rims looks awesome as do the Euro wagons like the Audi A4 wagons ect. The Mondeo just dosn't do it for me (I can't place my finger on whats wrong with it - technically its great).
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post