Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-10-2009, 12:57 PM   #91
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Swordsman I think it would have been very interesting (ie close) if Ford had entered a n/a car. I don't expect the XR6T would have ever had any positive boost during the economy run, the load on the engine would be too low to spool up the turbo. We can only wonder what the difference would have been - Ford could have done a test on the sly if they had a n/a Falcon support car!!

Quite an impressive performance from the Skoda, might make more people look at them now.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2009, 02:52 PM   #92
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
I reckon, just wait until the I6 goes direct injection as well.
Sorry to take this one off topic.. But who says the I6 is getting Direct injections?
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2009, 02:55 PM   #93
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
Swordsman I think it would have been very interesting (ie close) if Ford had entered a n/a car. I don't expect the XR6T would have ever had any positive boost during the economy run, the load on the engine would be too low to spool up the turbo. We can only wonder what the difference would have been - Ford could have done a test on the sly if they had a n/a Falcon support car!!

Quite an impressive performance from the Skoda, might make more people look at them now.
Yes that would have been interesting but of course it is worth noting that the support cars haul alot of gear around and don't maintain the set speed at all (route proving, photography etc.) so unfortunately that doesn't really work. It is clear Ford had a very well set up appraoch (fez for overall lowest, XR6T for biggest % improvement) but of course the HSV has ruined that last one (cunning buggers). It would take a shocking performance in the adelaide city stage (which is possible) for the HSV to lose now.

I think the 4.0 NA would have beaten the 3.0 SIDI or gone very close, but of course would have easilly done it RE the % improvement. Not sure what this all means frankly since at the end of the day the car with the lowest overall burn doesn't really 'win' anything to my knowledge and the 'winner' is a 6.2L V8 power ute that not only has the worst ADR and emissions rating of any GMH product (to my knowledge) but also has the least to gain. Its not like Maloo buyers are really intersted in its performance in an econo drive...down the drag strip however....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2009, 05:43 PM   #94
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman88
Yes that would have been interesting but of course it is worth noting that the support cars haul alot of gear around and don't maintain the set speed at all (route proving, photography etc.) so unfortunately that doesn't really work. It is clear Ford had a very well set up appraoch (fez for overall lowest, XR6T for biggest % improvement) but of course the HSV has ruined that last one (cunning buggers). It would take a shocking performance in the adelaide city stage (which is possible) for the HSV to lose now.

I think the 4.0 NA would have beaten the 3.0 SIDI or gone very close, but of course would have easilly done it RE the % improvement. Not sure what this all means frankly since at the end of the day the car with the lowest overall burn doesn't really 'win' anything to my knowledge and the 'winner' is a 6.2L V8 power ute that not only has the worst ADR and emissions rating of any GMH product (to my knowledge) but also has the least to gain. Its not like Maloo buyers are really intersted in its performance in an econo drive...down the drag strip however....
I 2nd that, however any of those diehard lion lovers can now go back to their wives & say that it won an economy run against the XR6t & a frugal little diesel fiesta. what a whacked up world we live in.
:
cosmo20btt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2009, 05:46 PM   #95
Fordmuscle1965

And the little fiesta cracks into the 2's!! :

http://www.carsales.com.au/news/2009...-barrier-17218
1989 F250 V8
Previous Rides
Black G220 Dumped
93 Black ED XR6

04 Territory, 20's, Black, Bling
94 NC Barge, Dumped, 17's
93 EB S, Dumped, 17's

86 Barge, Dumped, 17's
86 Cruiser of Land!
86 XF Wagon, Bull Bar, Raised, Salt Lake cruiser!
82 XE Sedan, Dumped, 15's
74 XB Coupe, 18's
73 XB Sedan
61 XK Wagon, old school.
78 Cortina.

Projects
65 Zephyr, Tubbed, 289, Simmons
65 Mustang LT Project
Fordmuscle1965 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2009, 06:41 PM   #96
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Didn't take them long!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/fordofco.../0/3jwu9DNTIbc
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2009, 06:46 PM   #97
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
Whats this have to do with the eco challenge? Its ADR was enough to beat the prius.
Old 30-10-2009, 07:29 PM   #98
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

http://www.caradvice.com.au/46620/hs...car-challenge/

Quote:
HSV Maloo wins Global Green Car Challenge

October 30, 2009 by George Skentzos

An unlikely winner has taken out the 2009 Global Green Car Challenge with the new HSV E Series 2 Maloo claiming top honours by achieving a 48.76 per cent reduction in fuel consumption when compared to its fuel rating label figure.

Over the entire trip, the Maloo had a combined average fuel consumption of 7.74 litres per 100 kilometres, representing the largest improvement over the manufacturers indicated fuel figure.

Its nearest competitor made a 39.81 per cent improvement, while the third-placed vehicle improved its consumption rating by 33.5 per cent.

The winning team, comprising Senior HSV Engineers Gerry Bechet and Leigh Russell and motoring journalist Joshua Dowling, credit their success to consistent driving and willingness to put up with difficult cabin conditions.

“For instance we kept air-conditioning use to an absolute minimum, which meant coping with cabin temperatures of more than 50 degrees Celsius for hours on end,” Gerry Bechet said.

Although this result does not make the Maloo the most frugal competitor in the Global Green Car Challenge fleet, only the vehicle to improve upon its fuel consumption rating by the biggest margin – a rather dubious method to crown a champion.

Nevertheless, Managing Director of HSV Phil Harding congratulated the team on their result, adding that “the real world fuel efficiency of the Holden Special Vehicles range is extremely competitive.”
Old 30-10-2009, 07:31 PM   #99
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

http://www.caradvice.com.au/46627/te...eco-challenge/

Quote:
Tesla Roadster sets EV distance record during Eco Challenge

October 30, 2009 by George Skentzos

While the HSV Maloo may have claimed top honours, another stand out entry in the 2009 Global Green Car Challenge has been the Tesla Roadster which set a new distance record for an electric vehicle.

The Tesla Roadster, piloted by owner Simon Hackett and co-driver Emilis Prelgauskas, completed 501km on just a single charge between Alice Springs and Coober Pedy.

The previous distance record was set in April by another Tesla Roadster which was the only all-electric vehicle to complete the entire 241-mile Rallye Monte Carlo d’Energies Alternatives with around 61km worth of charge to spare.

“Emilis and I have decades of experience flying gliders competitively and we applied the same energy conservation techniques to our driving, with significant results! The car had about 3 miles of range left when the drive was completed. We travelled 501km on a single charge. Let that sink in for a minute.” said Mr Hackett.

“The security seal was applied to the charge port door when we started the journey. As this is being done as part of the Global Green Challenge, we have a full set of official verifiers here who will attest to the results and to achieving the outcome. We were followed along the journey by our support crew and a documentary film crew – so we have it on film.

“It’s late here and we have another 541k to drive (with an intermediate charge stop) tomorrow – and another two days of the event left after that. When we’re done, we will have driven over 3000 km’s in the Roadster over the course of only six days, from Darwin to Adelaide.”

The Tesla Roadster was the first production EV with a range greater than 320 km per charge thanks to another innovation as the first production vehicle to employ lithium-ion battery cells.
Old 30-10-2009, 08:43 PM   #100
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Maloo with real-world efficiency?

How does 50+Degree cabin temperatures equate to real world? LOL!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2009, 01:50 AM   #101
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So by their own admission they've limited use of the a/c to an absolute minimum to reduce fuel consumption. I believe the guys at LS1.com have a drag racing class called BOSS (bolt on street stripper) which perhaps HSV and Joshua Dowling should have taken some notes from. I'm sure a stripped down interior, removal of carpets, sound proofing, roof lining, hard cover, spare wheel/brace and jack, electric windows, door trims etc would have netted an even further gain in fuel economy.

So congratulations to HSV for achieving such a remarkable feat. By taking this claim they've exposed themselves as the crackpots they are. I'm sure they must have passed the glass pipe around whilst driving to cope with the 50+ degree temperatures.

In the mean time I'd happily look at the Fiesta or even XR6T for a realistic fuel consumption average.
Old 31-10-2009, 09:29 AM   #102
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVS Super Pursuit
So by their own admission they've limited use of the a/c to an absolute minimum to reduce fuel consumption.
I bet you'll find that most teams would have done the exact same thing to conserve fuel. I know that the guys driving the Tesla didn't use the air con to conserve battery power.
Old 31-10-2009, 11:41 AM   #103
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yep, they said no one was using AC.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2009, 12:13 PM   #104
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual
yep, they said no one was using AC.
Can't think of many people who'd be prepared to drive in 30+ degree days without the aircon on.

It's a useless exercise if it doesn't replicate real-world driving conditions. I'd say the Bathurst 1000km comparison between the SIDIDI Commodore and the FG Falcon is more realistic.
Old 31-10-2009, 02:58 PM   #105
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

How embarrassment. So the turbo Falcon used about 0.5L/100km more than the most technimo-illogically manufactured V6 ever produced in Australia? Holden fails again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVS Super Pursuit
I'd say the Bathurst 1000km comparison between the SIDIDI Commodore and the FG Falcon is more realistic.
I agree to that.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:10 AM   #106
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
How embarrassment. So the turbo Falcon used about 0.5L/100km more than the most technimo-illogically manufactured V6 ever produced in Australia? Holden fails again.

I agree to that.
Indeed Falcman. Alot has been made of the 'accuracy' of this test. Clearly the power laden, high fuel burning cars benefit because % wise their adr is so woeful (due to predominantly city cycle). BUT, part of the reason they benefit is because the ADR test requires acceleration...yes even in the extra urban highway cycle. So if you go out there and turn the air con off, cruise at quite low highway speeds and work very very hard to NOT accelerate (i.e very little throttle openings, predominantly flat roads etc.) you look better again. A double benefit in effect. Cars like the Fiesta Econetic (or passenger diesels in general) don't get the same improvement because due to a range of reasoons they are optimised for low fuel burn when accelerating (city driving) not necessarily cruising.....

Funny thing is the SIDI berlina 'failed' the Bathurst test primarily because it allegedly 'lacked torque', leading to issues related particualry to its auto not 'locking up'. This of course made a mockery of its claim to have lower fuel burn since while going up bathurst 161 times may not be identical to most real world driving its a damn sight closer than an ADR test on a rolling road.... So now we get a test where the engine is NOT required to accelerate and DOES cruise at constant RPM. And it still fails. If you compared its Green Challenge result with its extra-urban ADR you get a 11% improvement. Yet the Skoda diesel (a pretty heavy sedan....) with the 2.0 diesel it improved over its highway adr by 15%. Even the little suzuki alto (only 50kw LOL), improved it fuel burn over highway adr by 9% and you can't tell me a micro car was suited to driving from darwin to adelaide :

The first test of an engineering 'improvement' is not only against current 'best practice' (i.e. your competitors) but also whether it is the best technical solution possible. Given the top level 3.6 is quite high in power, do you not think that adding a 'low power' eco 3.6 would not have been more succesful? It might not have got quite down to the same ADR (though probably within a few tenths) but does anyone honestly think that real world it would not have been a not only a better car to drive but one that burnt less too? What's wrong with a SIDI 3.6 with 190kw and 330nm? Oh that's right, its not so great for the marketing. Even though the 3.0 was available as a 'slot in' engine from GM surely it would have been cheaper to just go with two 3.6 versions?? And ultimately the better option anway? Typical holden. Never miss a chance to shoot themselves in the foot.....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....

Last edited by Swordsman88; 01-11-2009 at 03:15 AM.
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2009, 11:30 PM   #107
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Global Green Challenge Winners

http://www.caradvice.com.au/46870/gl...lenge-winners/

Quote:
Global Green Challenge Winners

November 3, 2009 by Alborz Fallah

The Global Green Challenge 2009 has come to an end so here is a table of all the winners for each category.

Production Class Small Car Diesel

* Ford Fiesta ECOnetic

Production Class Small Car Petrol

* Suzuki Alto GLX

Production Class Ute/Light Truck

* HSV Maloo Ute

Production Class Large Car Petrol

* Ford Falcon XR6 Turbo

Production Class Large Car Diesel

* Skoda Superb

Production Class Medium/ Off Road

* Hyundai Santa Fe SLX – Entry#5

Production Class 2 seat Electric

* Tesla

Modified Production Small Electric

* Deep Green Research

Modified Production Hybrid

* Annesley College

Modified Production Motor Bike

* Top Gear Magazine – Honda CT-110

Suzuki:

The Suzuki Alto smashed all records and achieved a surprising 2.0L/100km fuel economy figure on the last day of the Global Green Challenge.

What’s more amazing is that this figure was achieved on the inner city roads of Adelaide in the middle of morning peak hour.

Proving that fuel economy can be achieved in stop start motoring, setting a new standard for fuel economy not only for petrol cars but for diesel cars too.

Most of the 3000km journey from Darwin to Adelaide was against headwinds and some of Australia’s toughest roads and conditions. The manual Alto recorded an economy rating of 3.9L/100km, 18.55 per cent lower than the ADR fuel rating of 4.8L/100km. CO2 emissions also recorded a low 89.9g/km compared to the usual 113g/km.

“The Global Green Challenge has been a fantastic opportunity for Suzuki to show its commitment to fuel efficient and low-emission vehicles driven in real-world conditions and readily available to all consumers,” said Suzuki Australia General Manager Tony Devers.

“The Alto proves that it is possible to maintain economical driving in urban traffic where we all know most motorists do the bulk of their driving and all of this without costly technologies such as hybrid powertrains or stop-start technologies.

“Starting in November the Alto will be priced at less than $13,000 on the road. That price tag is more than $10,000 cheaper than any other vehicle competing in this event. It’s simple and safe motoring at its best.”

Skoda

In the medium to large car class the Skoda Superb proved to be to most fuel efficient vehicles in the last days of the Global Green Challenge. Coming in at fourth place behind the Ford Fiesta ECOnetic, Mini Cooper D and Suzuki Alto GLX, all competing in the light to small class.

The fuel consumption was as low as 4.59 litres per 100km, the 2.0 TDI with 125kw and 350Nm took most contenders by surprise.

As well a being a contester the Skoda Superb was also a support car for the Top Gear Australia team and its ‘postie’ bike. Carrying an excess amount of weight, an extra passenger and frequent fuel stops for the bike all affecting the fuel consumption the Superb still came in ahead of its large car competitors.

Skoda Australia has achieved the goal of proving that a large luxurious car carrying luggage and passengers can still be as economical as a traditional small car.

Hyundai

The new Santa Fe R diesel has won the SUV class in the Global Green Challenge and is one of the best medium SUV to own in its class.

On the southward bound trip the Santa Fe had a consumption rate of just 5.1L/100km beating its official government specified fuel consumption by 23.9 per cent.

The week long trek from Darwin to Adelaide included two urban loops and covered a distance of 3,147 kilometres, all vehicles had to keep an average speed on highways.

After the seven day trip the Santa Fe consumed a total of 160.46 litres of diesel fuel and also produced a low 137.67 grams of CO2 per kilometre.

The Santa Fe was driven by former Australian rally champion Ed Ordynski and motoring commentator John Cadogan. “This is a practical, versatile and rugged vehicle with serious off-road capability and seven seats. Yet with a combination of the latest technology and conservative driving techniques, we achieved the equivalent of 56 miles per gallon – a result that would have been unheard of just a decade ago,” said Cadogan.

Ordynski added: “Competition in the category was extremely close. I think what we proved was that smarter driving and making the right choice of vehicle can make a real difference to ordinary Australians – both economically and environmentally.”

The R 2.2 diesel produces 145 kilowatts and up to 436Nm of torque (manual), seats seven and has a five star safety rating.

Over the same journey two years ago the Hyundai i30 CRDi had a 3.2L/100km.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:50 PM   #108
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Now Ford can claim they have the most economical small car and large car - Ford beat the SIDIDI Commodore and the Toyota Aurion.

Too bad those two didn't enter - must have been for a reason.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:59 PM   #109
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

http://globalgreenchallenge.com.au/a...%20Results.pdf

Fiesta - 3.13L/100km
XR6 Turbo - 7.04L/100km
Maloo - 7.74L/100km
SIDIDI Sportswagon - 6.48L/100km
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2009, 02:11 AM   #110
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well it looks like Holden did enter the SIDIDI Commodore. However, using HSV's logic, the XR6T beat the SIDIDI Commodore in overall improvement in fuel consumption based on the ADR figure.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:01 AM   #111
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have to say I was really interested in this challenge and thread but by page 2 when I learned its 95% highway driving - well kind of absolutley pointless if you ask me.

90% of the Aus population live in big cities, most of us fly long distances. Practically ANY car is going to achieve excellent fuel economy at an ave. speed of 75km/h on a dead straight desert highway - this is fairly elemental stuff. I'd say this is more a big love in for all the car manufacturers to brag about their "green credentials" (call me cynical but especially for HSV).

Get a Maloo or XR6T in the Sydney CBD and see how your fuel consumption goes (I know first hand - its not THAT bad, but its certainly not 7.1L!). As for saying they do some city testing in Darwin and Adelaide - ummm no offence to people in these cities but their traffic is nowhere equivalent to somehwere like Sydney or Melbourne CBD.

Basically this test is applicable to about 2% of the population. Thumbs down for this test from me. Should have been 70% city driving (in Syndey or Melbourne) in a mixture of peak and off peak then 30% highway to Canberra. That would have been much more relevant - and I'd say the Fiesta and XR6T would still have gone amazing.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2009, 09:27 AM   #112
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man

I agree to that.

Agree 100%.
The SIDIDIDIDIDIDIDIDIDI P.O.S. is rapidly filling the void left by the alloytec boat anchor, and it doesn't even perform as well in the 3.0l guise. Holden would do better to buy the 4.ol straight 6 from ford.

Whatsmore, Holden have now decided to decorate their cars for christmas with fairy lights, which can only surmise the following;
"I'm a holden fan who likes going slow, drinking more petrol and decorating my car with ghey trinkets from supershit auto"

Quote: