Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-03-2012, 01:06 AM   #91
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Default Re: Holden secures $200m subsidy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang65
Yeah and most of it is from you.

Geez, I didn't realise I'm on here bitching that my Ford has things falling off, or it's rusting out and I'm having my backside raped by a Ford dealership.

BTW, great to see by your username, you support your local car manufacturer.
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2012, 01:44 AM   #92
FOMOCO 1
Munch Munch GM's 4 Lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
But hang on a moment, the reason Ford and Holden are in the stew is because big car sales are falling,
you could hardly expect them to run off and use an international vehicle, build it here just to get low sales.

I think Holden and Ford need a slightly different tack here, both parents have FWD mid sized car but chances are
that both Holden and Ford are looking at a neat mid sized RWD that covers our market much better than Falcadore does.
I hope that is the case and that everyone can come out a winner with better priced vehicles with exceptional fuel economy..
Cortina VS Torana anyone!
FOMOCO 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2012, 01:53 AM   #93
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
ford and holden were doing the same thing CKD's..

when was the first ford "pressed" at gelong?
Does this count:

1934 World’s first coupe utility, Model 40, designed and built by Ford Australia. The Coupe Ute was designed by Ford Geelong engineer Lewis Bandt and and Lewis’s own Model 40 ute is proudly displayed at the Ford Discovery Centre.

or this...
1937 Model 78 with first steel turret-top body on an Australian-built sedan.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2012, 02:08 AM   #94
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimka100
I don't understand what do people complain about here ???

Holden got 275Mil from the government because they are investing over 1Billion dollars !!!

Ford got some money from the government too, sure it was less ... but do you see Ford committing 1Billion dollars as well ??? or even 500mil ?

Its as simple as day and night. The government will contribute more funds to the manufacturers that are willing to invest a great portion of funds themselves ... with Ford not wanting to invest any serious amount of money into the Falcon R&D and simply to choosing to release minor upgrades that pale in comparison to the investment that Holden has committed here ... do not be surprised why the government is behaving the way it is, and do not be surprised why the media is calling it already dead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Mach1
The money is there for the taking, companies have to show their investment plan for the future and then negotiate a deal with the govt. GM invests and the Govt co-invests. GM have obviously shown a good plan for future investment...so they get the money. If Ford did the same they would get the money as well.

If I had $1B to invest in Australia, I would certainly be lobbying the govt to support me. I'm going to employ, buy equipment, materials, support suppliers, etc, etc. It is easy to make a good argument for how this type of investment is good for the country. Its then all about how much co-investment you can negotiate.
The above says it all for me, I can't think of anything more to add............

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2012, 03:06 AM   #95
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueOvalPrint
Why isnt the headline "Commodore dead in 2016" instead of "Holden gets $200m"? If it was Ford, that's how Drive would have skewed the story...

My money is on the replacement being a locally built (fwd) Malibu...
I agree on both counts.

US cars are going to be getting smaller for a while. We have new fuel economy regulations coming in. The Malibu could very well be Chevy's largest car by 2016.
Old 23-03-2012, 06:36 AM   #96
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Because the government has opened the door to Asians to come in and transfer price their way through our domestic car industry.
Imagine if we let China or Korea bring in it own workers to private mines and just cut the rest of us out.
Or how about import Asian workers on Asian wages to do your job for a fraction of the cost...
See Senate, ALP Member for QLD address this past week. Basically, we do much as you outline, to cater for China in its operations here. Including reduced corporate and individual 'penalties' payable. But this takes us offtrack to this theads topic. .
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2012, 06:48 AM   #97
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith
Does this count:

1934 World’s first coupe utility, Model 40, designed and built by Ford Australia. The Coupe Ute was designed by Ford Geelong engineer Lewis Bandt and and Lewis’s own Model 40 ute is proudly displayed at the Ford Discovery Centre.

or this...
1937 Model 78 with first steel turret-top body on an Australian-built sedan.
no not really, some were stamped in adelaide then sent to gelong as flat pack..for assembly.
but it wasn't ford can't remember the name. a third party.

as i said they were doing the same as holden each other, holden were modding vauxhalls for the local market.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2012, 07:28 AM   #98
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Vic
I agree on both counts.

US cars are going to be getting smaller for a while. We have new fuel economy regulations coming in. The Malibu could very well be Chevy's largest car by 2016.
I'll be interested to see the 2014 Impala being released at the NY Auto show (?)
I believe that will be the signal for GM buyers to rediscover a segment that fell into disrepair under Lutz

GMNA could have taken the initial Zeta based Impala for years before switching to the 2014 car,
its unique wheelbase between Commodore and Caprice would have made it a perfect fit for USA.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2012, 08:27 AM   #99
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Holden claim they will build two new models...

The Epsilon II platfrom underpins the Malibu, a car Holden has claimed will appear in australia....

And a larger version of it will underpin the Impala...

So, it looks like the Commodore will be a a Epsilon based car, built along side the Malibu.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2012, 08:33 AM   #100
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Holden claim they will build two new models...

The Epsilon II platfrom underpins the Malibu, a car Holden has claimed will appear in australia....

And a larger version of it will underpin the Impala...

So, it looks like the Commodore will be a a Epsilon based car, built along side the Malibu.
And the Holden friendly press took a baseball bat to Ford by suggesting that Taurus would replace Falcon,
all the while hoping that a new lighter RWD Commodore would be developed off the new Alpha platform.
Now I understand why so much engineering work was transferred back to GMNA a few years back....

Kinda makes you wonder about the propaganda, I hear GM is busy at work designing its own "Ecoboost V6" engines..
The truth is is that both companies need to change their existing big cars as neither works that well in our market.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2012, 08:44 AM   #101
Reaper8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

$1bn investment from a ex bankrupt company, probably go bankrupt before2016 LOL
Reaper8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2012, 08:51 AM   #102
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
So around 8000 employees.
Holden pays tax.
Each of the 8000 employees pays up to $8000 tax Per year.
Employees alone are putting in $64 million per year into the country via tax.
Times 10 years is $640 million.
Plus the money they spend in town to businesses that then have to pay tax to the government.
If I was the government, I would want to give them $200 million to get a $1billion PLUS return aover 10 years. Sounds like a good investment?
The question should be if is a better investment option. Spend the $200M retraining the workers into mining related roles and make a few billion tax more. It is a political bailout.
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2012, 09:29 AM   #103
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
ford and holden were doing the same thing CKD's..
Holden were coach (body) builders before GM bought them out. imported engine and chassis and built the rest themselves.
Old 23-03-2012, 09:35 AM   #104
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
I'll be interested to see the 2014 Impala being released at the NY Auto show (?)
I believe that will be the signal for GM buyers to rediscover a segment that fell into disrepair under Lutz
I wouldn't blame Lutz for that. He's a real car guy. The Impala has been selling very well (it's cheap and popular with fleets). He was probably focusing on the vehicle classes where Chevy has been failing miserably.
Old 23-03-2012, 09:44 AM   #105
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Considering Holden will be paying approx 140 million in Carbon Tax over the ten years, the government money isnt a lot.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2012, 09:49 AM   #106
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot
The question should be if is a better investment option. Spend the $200M retraining the workers into mining related roles and make a few billion tax more. It is a political bailout.
More people digging holes. Without economic assistance that is all we will end up doing. The positive externalities of having an automotive industry are huge.

Last edited by Shonky.; 23-03-2012 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Spelling
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2012, 10:34 AM   #107
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot
Great plan.. NOT!!

A) What happens when there is nothing to mind anymore?
B) Are we going to move everyone to WA?
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2012, 10:48 AM   #108
MAD
Petro-sexual

It makes you wonder, with all these new 'micro' sized cars on the market, if the makers had stopped making their small and mid cars bigger and bigger, they wouldn't need a micro. Or perhaps they could have just made a large car instead.
Old 23-03-2012, 01:15 PM   #109
BlueOvalPrint

I don't think that anyone has pointed out that the announcement pretty much locks in the certainty that there will be no more sedan-based utes (either Ford or Holden) post 2016, just Thai made one tonners.

RIP the Aussie V8 ute! Lew Bandt would be turning in his grave...
BlueOvalPrint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2012, 01:38 PM   #110
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueOvalPrint
I don't think that anyone has pointed out that the announcement pretty much locks in the certainty that there will be no more sedan-based utes (either Ford or Holden) post 2016, just Thai made one tonners.

RIP the Aussie V8 ute! Lew Bandt would be turning in his grave...
Yep. In fact I think you'll find that when the VF and the FG update rocks around in 2014, the ute will be bye bye.

I will have to make sure I get one.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2012, 02:39 PM   #111
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When the Holden boss was asked if he can guarantee whether there will be any more job losses with the co-investment, he said if he could see 5 years into the future and work out how many small cars, mid-sized cars and pick-up trucks the Indians and Chinese were selling here then he could gurantee it.

So could the future local Holdens be Cruze, Malibu/Commodore and Colorado?
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2012, 02:40 PM   #112
XWGT