Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 29-01-2013, 07:44 PM   #91
bouka

Default Re: Hsv 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by excopau View Post
it won't have an 4 to start
One model will.
This user likes this post:
Old 29-01-2013, 07:46 PM   #92
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8 View Post
If they put much more power through the FG drive train its probably a race with the Holden guy to the service department for warranty repairs.
Why? We all know the Miami is putting out more than 335kw at the crank.
Old 29-01-2013, 08:08 PM   #93
Angeldust

bagging out the HSV over the FPV and vice-versa is like saying the Mustang is **** because the corvette is a pure sports car etc. etc. etc. or that a ferrari is **** because a porsche does it with a smaller engine with less cylinders etc etc etc or that a bentley is **** because a Hyundai Getz also gets you from A to B etc etc etc......................

IT IS WHAT IT IS.. Don't like it? buy an FPV then. Voice your opinion

if most of the people whining on here actually driven/owned a car with ~180Kw/tonne or more, you wouldn't be partaking in this conversation. (you would realise that addinhg more power from this point just shows up the inheritent problems with the chassis, originally designed as family cars, not supercars)

Z series Clubsport HRT edition..
e46 320ci 2.2ltr Stocko

Last edited by flappist; 01-05-2013 at 07:44 PM.
Old 29-01-2013, 08:40 PM   #94
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8 View Post
If they put much more power through the FG drive train its probably a race with the Holden guy to the service department for warranty repairs.
Most illogical statement and am more than over hearing rubbish like this with no substance. As said, these have been very successfully tuned with KPM (WARRANTIED) and Harrods doing a roaring business doing it. Comments like this do not belong in these threads (OFF TOPIC) or these forums for that matter without some facts to back it up ...... and I don't mean "My brothers best mate's dad ..... " type stories. Lets hear how your GT335 is handling things on a daily basis???? What are these particular problems are you having? I don't seem to be having any in mine?

Want a 4 at the start of a KW figure? AND doing duties day in day out ......

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
5 users like this post:
Old 29-01-2013, 08:46 PM   #95
F6E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeldust;
(you would realise that addinhg more power from this point just shows up the inheritent problems with the chassis, originally designed as family cars, not supercars)
Boom!

and therein lies the Achilles heel of the Falcadore ; it has a inherrent RWKW 'tipping point' ....too much power = slow

As demonstrated by many on here with mega RWKW and comparatively unimpressive 1/4's, MPH.

KW's are easy and cheap, great chassis dynamics for 1800kg cars aren't.

current rides.....
F6E - Cooler, Cat, CAI, Flash, 20's, SSL's - 317 rwkw : 9/10
BFII - Workhorse yoot : 6/10

past bitches of note.....
E60 M5 - V10 excess, the pinacle : 11/10
VE SSV - 102000 trouble free Kms : 9/10
VZ Cross8 - V8 AWD, great allrounder. : 8/10
BA XR8 - Fat & Slow : 3/10
XH XR6 - 8/10
XG S - 7.5/10
Old 29-01-2013, 08:50 PM   #96
Angeldust

[QUOTE=Auslandau;4608894]......

Want a 4 at the start of a KW figure? AND doing duties day in day out ......

[QUOTE]

The VE chassis was originally engeneered to be able to cope with 400kw.
The older vt-vz was only a '300'kw chasis, and with an ls2 you can definetly feel the limits of it, not so much with an ls1 though. Sorry slightly off topic..

e46 320ci 2.2ltr Stocko
Old 29-01-2013, 08:56 PM   #97
Angeldust

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6E View Post
Boom!

and therein lies the Achilles heel of the Falcadore ; it has a inherrent RWKW 'tipping point' ....too much power = slow

As demonstrated by many on here with mega RWKW and comparatively unimpressive 1/4's, MPH.

KW's are easy and cheap, great chassis dynamics for 1800kg cars aren't.

Thank you. Thats it, i can feel this tipping point in my VZ with an ls2, but when i had a vy with an ls1 i could not really 'conceptualise' (??spelling?) that concept lol..

The limit for these cars is 400kw (VE/VF and FG falc?). Sure they can handle more if modified in a straight line, but they have to go around corners as well, and all the extra power just makes things worse at this point, the tipping point..

e46 320ci 2.2ltr Stocko
Old 29-01-2013, 10:40 PM   #98
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeldust View Post
Thank you. Thats it, i can feel this tipping point in my VZ with an ls2, but when i had a vy with an ls1 i could not really 'conceptualise' (??spelling?) that concept lol..

The limit for these cars is 400kw (VE/VF and FG falc?). Sure they can handle more if modified in a straight line, but they have to go around corners as well, and all the extra power just makes things worse at this point, the tipping point..
Power has nothing to do with going around a corner. Suspension, weight and rubber determine how fast you can change direction. Adding power does not change this fact.
Old 29-01-2013, 10:46 PM   #99
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2 View Post
Power has nothing to do with going around a corner. Suspension, weight and rubber determine how fast you can change direction. Adding power does not change this fact.
Say what???????
Old 29-01-2013, 11:00 PM   #100
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
Say what???????
Take the engine out of the equation completely. If you are going to change direction in a vehicle that is at speed. Then the amount of potential power an engine produces means absolutely nothing. Weight, center of gravity, suspension, and rubber, do however.
Old 29-01-2013, 11:57 PM   #101
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Take the engine out of the equation completely. If you are going to change direction in a vehicle that is at speed. Then the amount of potential power an engine produces means absolutely nothing. Weight, center of gravity, suspension, and rubber, do however.
You may wish to do a bit of investigation into dynamics and mechanics. You are so far wrong it is not funny.

There are many force vectors in a turn. Adding force to points that are not at the CoG, for example one or more on the wheels will completely change the equation.
2 users like this post:
Old 30-01-2013, 12:03 AM   #102
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Nobody takes a corner seriously without some form of throttle though. Especially an 1800kg car that would otherwise just keep scrubbing speed.
Old 30-01-2013, 12:07 AM   #103
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

But can see where Irish is coming from and understand ..... except "absolutely nothing'' bit. You can change the dynamics or the fun factor of a car just by changing Suspension, weight and rubber which really goes without saying. Just boosting horse power doesn't make the car steer better ...... GT335 vs GT335 RSpec of course. Of course HP is necessary but as the HSV boys keep saying since 335 ...... its just now not about the power ...... its about the handling!

Bit obvious ..... so what am I missing?

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 30-01-2013, 12:28 AM   #104
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau View Post
But can see where Irish is coming from and understand ..... except "absolutely nothing'' bit. You can change the dynamics or the fun factor of a car just by changing Suspension, weight and rubber which really goes without saying. Just boosting horse power doesn't make the car steer better ...... GT335 vs GT335 RSpec of course. Of course HP is necessary but as the HSV boys keep saying since 335 ...... its just now not about the power ...... its about the handling!

Bit obvious ..... so what am I missing?
Ok, non physics version.....

When you enter a corner there is gravity holding you down, the inertia of the vehicle trying to keep you going in a straight line, friction tuning some of that stored energy into heat and slowing you down and friction of front tyres trying to change the direction.

The front tyres are pushing against the tangential inertia.

Now to test this get onto a flat area and at a steady speed start a turn and after maybe 20 degrees let go of the steering wheel. You will tend to flick back in the other direction not just go straight ahead. The front of the car is out of balance with the back and you swivel back on the CoG to the direction the the middle of the car was trying to go.

Now if you are accelerating in a RWD vehicle you are applying force in the direction the car is facing which is at a different angle to the force of the inertia therefore pushing the rear of the vehicle around the CoG.

Try the above experiment under acceleration and you will find the car flicks back far less and the harder you are accelerating (without breaking traction) the closer you remain to the direction you were facing when you let go.

FWD is even better as rather than just turning you are actually applying force in the direction you want to go.

AWD has both of the above characteristics.

But if this is still a bit confusing then ask yourself why, as a rule, do AWD vehicles out handle FWD & RWD if it is not anything to do with applying power to the various wheels.
3 users like this post:
Old 30-01-2013, 07:17 AM   #105
Angeldust

flappist is right.

Accelerating out of corners. Too much power and its useless. You will just go sideways.
Pointless to have all those extra rwkw, and not really being able to use them.

Sure you can change the setup of the car to accomodate the extra power, but at some point your car will cease to be a 'road' car and become a 'race' car. Both have different positives and negatives depending on the application. I doubt anyone would want to drive a race car to work in peak hour traffic. Or anywhere thats not a race track.

Look at the super taxis, they have ~450Kw and the suspension setup in these things to be able to put this power down effectively is far far from a road car.

e46 320ci 2.2ltr Stocko

Last edited by Angeldust; 30-01-2013 at 07:22 AM.
Old 30-01-2013, 08:54 AM   #106
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Ok flappy, but Irish2 still has a point.

My GTE is a stock standard 335kw engine with however many rwkw that makes. I don't know I've never had it on a dyno. But typically around 330. So lets pretnd I get it tuned, like the cop car, and now its 390. A fairly common result. How does that change the handling? I've added no weight or changed any other parameter.

Ok now it's a more prone to break traction if you're not gentle with the accelerator, but braking, steering, balance, spring rates and damper control all remain as they were. Yes you can now theoretically go into a corner faster, but 335's always had the ability to go into most corners way to fast and corner exit speed is limited by traction.

Cheers.
Old 30-01-2013, 09:02 AM   #107
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

If they were lazy the only thing FPV need go do is tweak the tune mildly and change some badges to reflect what ACTUAL output is from factory.

I do hope hsv hire someone different than Optimus Prime as the head of design this time.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
3 users like this post:
Old 30-01-2013, 10:15 AM   #108
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks View Post
Ok flappy, but Irish2 still has a point.

My GTE is a stock standard 335kw engine with however many rwkw that makes. I don't know I've never had it on a dyno. But typically around 330. So lets pretend I get it tuned, like the cop car, and now its 390. A fairly common result. How does that change the handling? I've added no weight or changed any other parameter.

Ok now it's a more prone to break traction if you're not gentle with the accelerator, but braking, steering, balance, spring rates and damper control all remain as they were. Yes you can now theoretically go into a corner faster, but 335's always had the ability to go into most corners way to fast and corner exit speed is limited by traction.

Cheers.
While this may be so and the FPV has more power than most are capable of using the statement

Quote:
is incorrect.

With my above experiments try them at 200km/h not 50km/h. Your GTE will not break traction so easily at that speed.
(Now I know you would not actually do this but to any others who are reading this DON'T DO IT, IT IS VERY DANGEROUS).

If the original intention was to imply that better handling would be more useful than more power then I tend do agree with the caveat that a GT is a saloon not a sports car and I suspect a ride like my datto would frighten off more buyers than it attracted.
Old 30-01-2013, 10:48 AM   #109
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I dont get how people think these cars are "sports" cars from factory.. they are comfortable, and for the weight very capable cruisers. Sure F6 and GT can eat most things in a straight line but you have to really start tweaking to get performance in the corners.

If I could have one upgrade for mine and one only it would be coilovers.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Old 30-01-2013, 11:17 AM   #110
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
I do hope hsv hire someone different than Optimus Prime as the head of design this time.
That's Gold !!

Arn't we getting a bit off topic here....anyway FWIW it doesn't really matter to me what car(s) HSV release later this year. Anything that I might be interested in, like a SC Senator will be $100K plus Kiwi and not worth it IMO.

Last edited by Rodge; 30-01-2013 at 11:30 AM.
5 users like this post:
Old 30-01-2013, 11:32 AM   #111
Sioso
irregular member

If I could do only one modification to mine it would be weight reduction (about 250-300kg would be great).
That would then improve acceleration, braking, handling, fuel consumption and general wear and tear.
Old 30-01-2013, 11:40 AM   #112
Chopped
as in chopped

What does any of this page have to do with the "HSV 2013" ?!!
It seems off topic : )

My prediction is it will have the same engine as current. They will sell it because of the new shape and interior goodies.
I reckon they will retire the GTS name tag initially but then bring it back as a special with different engine (much more power), but not straight away.
Old 30-01-2013, 12:58 PM   #113
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

My prediction?

HSV will sell whatever they make.... because bogans......
4 users like this post:
Old 30-01-2013, 04:16 PM   #114
BHDOGS
Banned

My prediction PAIN
Old 30-01-2013, 05:44 PM   #115
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLOWN.GTP View Post
If I could do only one modification to mine it would be weight reduction (about 250-300kg would be great).
That would then improve acceleration, braking, handling, fuel consumption and general wear and tear.
That's what HSV have planned ..... removing the 14 badges from the rear, 12,000 volts of DLR's and a couple of dozen air vents and they have already saved over 200 kilos!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
8 users like this post:
Old 30-01-2013, 06:07 PM   #116
Chopped
as in chopped

^ lol
Old 30-01-2013, 07:49 PM   #117
F6E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau View Post
That's what HSV have planned ..... removing the 14 badges from the rear, 12,000 volts of DLR's and a couple of dozen air vents and they have already saved over 200 kilos!
Haha LMFAO !!

Funny but true, Senator was on my shopping list post M5, but even Senator unfortunately doesn't escape the, quote, " Optimus Prime " styling ..shame !

current rides.....
F6E - Cooler, Cat, CAI, Flash, 20's, SSL's - 317 rwkw : 9/10
BFII - Workhorse yoot : 6/10

past bitches of note.....
E60 M5 - V10 excess, the pinacle : 11/10
VE SSV - 102000 trouble free Kms : 9/10
VZ Cross8 - V8 AWD, great allrounder. : 8/10
BA XR8 - Fat & Slow : 3/10
XH XR6 - 8/10
XG S - 7.5/10
Old 30-01-2013, 08:06 PM   #118
Motorbreath310

It's already been stated unofficially in a number of articles that LS3 is a carry-over followed by the LT1 upgrade in 2014. Just like they did when VE was launched with the LS2 then LS3 later on. I'm more interested in what the interior will be like. You lnow what Americans are like for features. And the Chrysler 300 has set a high benchmark for the segment. Just ask Rodge!
Old 30-01-2013, 08:51 PM   #119
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
While this may be so and the FPV has more power than most are capable of using the statement

is incorrect.

With my above experiments try them at 200km/h not 50km/h. Your GTE will not break traction so easily at that speed.
(Now I know you would not actually do this but to any others who are reading this DON'T DO IT, IT IS VERY DANGEROUS).

If the original intention was to imply that better handling would be more useful than more power then I tend do agree with the caveat that a GT is a saloon not a sports car and I suspect a ride like my datto would frighten off more buyers than it attracted.
You misinterpreted my post (possibly not worded very well).

I was referring to a specific car. i.e. an F6 with 100rwkw, or 300rwkw is still going to be limited by the rest of the car in how fast it can go around the corner. Obviously the one with more power can accelerate away quicker. This is also under the assumption they both have enough space to achieve that speed before the corner.
Old 30-01-2013, 09:01 PM   #120
Angeldust

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa_spec_F6 View Post
My prediction?

HSV will sell whatever they make.... because bogans......
... which class of bogan can afford a new hsv?

im definetly not a bogan, but i can only afford 2nd hand ones? lol

edit: yeah probably all those 'bogans' that work in mining..

e46 320ci 2.2ltr Stocko
Closed Thread