Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 10-10-2008, 10:16 AM   #91
*rayman*
454 Power

Quote:
As a side note has anyone done the math on buying and selling recently? i did yesterday... to sell and buy (move homes) a property of similar value of around $800K will set you back close to $70K in costs and fees!!!!
I feel sorry for you guys having to pay that much for housing.... average house price up here is between $350 - $450k..... unless you want to buy something more than average....

TOY - 68 SS 454 Camaro
*rayman* is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2008, 10:25 AM   #92
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Hm.. i think that's already happened to some extent..
The 1% drop has created an instant wave of interest in property here in Vic, !!!!
(my view only), the clever ones have already sold their investment properties, yes there will be a flood of people now trying to offload what they have, but as predicted ( a 40% ) drop in house values coming up ) they will now sit, a bit of time now and it will be a buyers market.

I don't think the 40% will get there but you probably could look at a min of 20% on current value of an average house to drop.

Around here they are now popping up for sale daily, in the hope to offload before the drop hits., then again i am wrong as often as right.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2008, 12:11 PM   #93
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

Quote:
Originally Posted by *rayman*
Bit of a flipside view for all us car enthusiasts.....

This is going to affect the over inflated prices of muscle cars (both here and in the U.S) as more people decide they dont need so much money tied up in a lifestyle asset. It may go further and affect prices on expensive vehicles period.

There will be people that have bought these types of cars that can and will afford to keep them, and then there is the group that have purchased them with equity from their houses, or from 'mining boom' related jobs. They will also have a lot of other lifestyle assets most likely try and move to free up some money if times get tougher....

There may be some bargains turn up in the coming months / years.... just make sure you have the money to snap them up when they appear.

It may not happen overnight, but it will happen.
Your absolutely right here. US Muscle has been a lot better value over the last 6 months alone as opposed to AUS Muscle.

Only issue now is the dollar dropping through the floor. There was a Mach 1 Mustang I had my eye on that was going to cost me around $48k when the rate was in the nineties, today that will cost me around $80k......so not going to happen. However the US based price will continue to fall so I expect some bargains in 12 months time
Old 10-10-2008, 01:32 PM   #94
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Hm.. i think that's already happened to some extent..
The 1% drop has created an instant wave of interest in property here in Vic, i've got 3 friends who are mortgage brokers, all work for separate firms, their phones went into melt down over the past few days, the lowering of interest rates and the forecast of another wave of falls has excited the market, watch auction results over the coming months.....
Weren't you the guy who said Aussie muscle car prices would continue to rise 18ths ago??
The only HO's worth 800k these days are the ones that arent on the market!

Perhaps house prices might fall afterall, again something i forecast 12mths ago and got shot down.

As for keen buyers, they may want to buy, but will the banks lend??
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2008, 02:30 PM   #95
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8
Weren't you the guy who said Aussie muscle car prices would continue to rise 18ths ago??
The only HO's worth 800k these days are the ones that arent on the market!

Perhaps house prices might fall afterall, again something i forecast 12mths ago and got shot down.

As for keen buyers, they may want to buy, but will the banks lend??
Or even have a job, my opinion is that big job losses are just around the corner. My work has begun letting people go ( more pushing them out the door) and contracts are slowing rapidly.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2008, 02:36 PM   #96
balthazarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8
...As for keen buyers, they may want to buy, but will the banks lend??
Of course they will lend. They might tighten up for a few months, but then greed will get the better of them, and they will be back to doling out money hand over fist.
balthazarr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2008, 02:41 PM   #97
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

This thread is so amusing, I wonder how people actually migrated from their school bank accounts and football trading cards...
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2008, 03:09 PM   #98
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
The boom will not end any time soon, it may suffer a hiccup but it is really still in its infancy.

Doesn't really matter if it does any way, the whole industry underinvested the entire time and expected to prices to begin to stabilise 3 years ago. This will be a 4 or 5 year low point before India pulls its finger out then it will be all go again.
Old 10-10-2008, 03:24 PM   #99
Citric GT
Its yellow, NOT green!

I hope to be buying a house in the next month or so. The interest rate hasn't made any difference to what I want to borrow, but I wonder how many people will now want that little bit more?

I don't wish to offend anyone, but I reckon no mortgage should be offered to anyone with less than 10% deposit. I welcome the tightening of lenders requirements.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:41 PM   #100
balthazarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citric GT
I hope to be buying a house in the next month or so. The interest rate hasn't made any difference to what I want to borrow, but I wonder how many people will now want that little bit more?

I don't wish to offend anyone, but I reckon no mortgage should be offered to anyone with less than 10% deposit. I welcome the tightening of lenders requirements.
I wonder how many people have paid for "mortgage insurance", and not realised that it's insuring the mortgagee (the lender), and not the mortgagor (ie. them).
balthazarr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2008, 06:28 PM   #101
*rayman*
454 Power

IMPORTANT NEWS: CRISIS HITS JAPAN

Just received this alert from our head of research:

Following the problems in the sub-prime lending market in America and the run on Northern Rock in the UK, uncertainty has now hit Japan .

In the last 7 days Origami Bank has folded, Sumo Bank has gone belly up and Bonsai Bank announced plans to cut some of its branches.

Yesterday, it was announced that Karaoke Bank is up for sale and will likely go for a song, while today shares in Kamikaze Bank were suspended after they nose-dived.

While Samurai Bank is soldiering on following sharp cutbacks, Ninja Bank is reported to have taken a hit, but they remain in the black.

Furthermore, 500 staff at Karate Bank got the chop and analysts report that there is something fishy going on at Sushi Bank where it is feared that staff may get a raw deal.

TOY - 68 SS 454 Camaro
*rayman* is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2008, 11:35 AM   #102
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

^ classic^
Old 13-10-2008, 12:02 AM   #103
Bent8
Long live the GT !

My guess is (if the US economy doesn't completely collapse by then) that there will be at least another 1-2% cut by Christmas.

This is a very desperate move by the Reserve Bank which is now following in the footsteps of the US Federeal Reserve which cut their rates last week to 1.75%!

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2008, 11:37 AM   #104
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Now the Govt is planning to double first home buyers grant from 7K to 14K....

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...38-664,00.html

Last edited by 4Vman; 14-10-2008 at 11:43 AM.
4Vman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2008, 12:31 PM   #105
Scott

^^ lol. Kinda like givng away free icy-poles in the middle of a snow storm.... atleast they offered.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2008, 12:39 PM   #106
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
^^ lol. Kinda like givng away free icy-poles in the middle of a snow storm.... atleast they offered.
All it means is housing prices will go up another 7K and first home buyers will be even less inclined to save a decent deposit because the Govt will give it to them for free....

Id rather see the Govt do more to offer these first home buyers decent financial planning and budgeting advice than just give handouts..

Last edited by 4Vman; 14-10-2008 at 12:48 PM.
4Vman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2008, 12:48 PM   #107
FTE72
Red is nice Mark.

Quote:
All it means is housing prices will go up another 7K and first home buyers will be even less inclined to save a decent deposit because the Govt will give it to them for free....
Too true and so sad. Easy credit and a "want it now" attitude is part of the cause of these problems IMO
TE 50 #72 Blueprint & TS 50 #105 Blueprint
:
FTE72 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2008, 12:50 PM   #108
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE72
Too true and so sad. Easy credit and a "want it now" attitude is part of the cause of these problems IMO
Its a BIG part of the problem.
At a bare minimum id like to see the Govt make first home buyers attend financial planning "training and awareness" and pass a certain level of understanding as part of qualification to receive the grant...

Old 14-10-2008, 01:53 PM   #109
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Quote:
Its a BIG part of the problem.
At a bare minimum id like to see the Govt make first home buyers attend financial planning "training and awareness" and pass a certain level of understanding as part of qualification to receive the grant...
you are right with the training and saving ,but with such a shortage of homes and mega home prices ,wages not increasing to the market ,it may be the only way people get into a home ,these people can save cash .but to save 30-40 g, while lining the pockets of gready investors trying to squeeze every last penny out for rent .these problems would not of occured if the previous govt thought more about the countries infrastructure than,filling the piggy bank.its that or put a couple extra beds in the house and have 3-4 generations under the roof ,like many of our less fortunate neighbouring countries.
it isnt the answer but without a realignment of our economy ,i dont know the solution
Old 14-10-2008, 03:23 PM   #110
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can remember buying my first property.. interest rates were about 17%!!! but property was cheaper.. as interest rates have dropped property values have risen... making homes "more affordable" is a bit of a misconception... because all the handouts and lower interest rates do is increase property values..

Old 14-10-2008, 03:30 PM   #111
XWGT