Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-07-2012, 03:28 PM   #91
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ford Australia public affairs director Sinead Phipps told Drive: “We have no plans to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
"Well, its a falcon, but its not"
At least they acknowledge its a Falcon.

Ever met a Calais owner that didnt think their car wasnt a Commodore?
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2012, 04:23 PM   #92
The Snout

Default Re: Ford Australia public affairs director Sinead Phipps told Drive: “We have no plans to

Arguing over what badges the car should wear is like arguing over what music the band on the Titanic should be playing.
The Snout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2012, 04:39 PM   #93
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Snout
Arguing over what badges the car should wear is like arguing over what music the band on the Titanic should be playing.
...and why is that?

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2012, 05:05 PM   #94
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RASER
+1

Built a good engine, but not a patch on the 5.8 SuperCharged ShelbGT they could have had, and US FOMOCO would have picked up the tab.

The could spend some of that $40mil. making a decent bench seat in the ute [was superior in the older models]
You are scaring me ....... amazing thing to say really.

For years .... and I mean years people screamed for an engine above anything else. An investment was made (wisely or not) and the Miami was thankfully produced.

Unfortunately some are disappointed that the money wasn't spent on a bench seat and some still wish they had Recaro seats with carpet deleted and no radio rather than having what was wanted in the first place by the masses .....

No wonder FPV are scratching there heads thinking WTF .... even some of those that asked for it aren't interested. For what it is and marketed against, it cannot just be price. Even with the amount of investment by FPV they are still relatively the same price as a T series 12 years ago. Marketing is a % but not the bulk of it. Depreciation isn't the reason (excuse maybe) but euros are worse and HSV is similar.

Maybe the problem is that the ones that make the most noise never really had the intention of buying one anyway ..... or at least not until they were well and truly established on the second hand market?

Bit like those that want the SP back ..... but wouldn't and didn't take up the option anyway. Whats the point.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2012, 05:22 PM   #95
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
Unfortunately some are disappointed that the money wasn't spent on a bench seat .

Don't understand it either.

Sub 12 second Holden Smashing GT, or a bench seat?

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 01-07-2012, 05:45 PM   #96
nstg8a

Quote:

Don't understand it either.

Sub 12 second Holden Smashing GT, or a bench seat?
what good are bench seats these days anyway? are you even allowed to use them as a 3 seater?

imagine if they combined the two? a gt with a bench seat and column auto... omg sales success will be had
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2012, 05:52 PM   #97
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Our bravo work ute is a 3 seater, manual...

with 3 blokes in there, its a silent trip...

We even get the middle bloke to shift gears...

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 01-07-2012, 06:26 PM   #98
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
what good are bench seats these days anyway? are you even allowed to use them as a 3 seater?
Yep, my FG Mark II is a 3 seater column shift. I would of bought a Asian dual cab otherwise.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2012, 06:41 PM   #99
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Maybe the problem is that the ones that make the most noise never really had the intention of buying one anyway .....
we have a winner.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2012, 08:04 PM   #100
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Maybe the problem is that the ones that make the most noise never really had the intention of buying one anyway
yep, and probably never will

and I agree a bit more marketing from time to time might help the cause, but as an actual owner I am glad the marketing budget got tipped into the engine design budget.

I would rather find the info on the car myself rather than pay for a marketing team to tell me, and get a better drive as a result
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2012, 08:19 PM   #101
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
With fleets moving away from XT and others, there has been no corresponding increase in premium Falcons, do you even look at the numbers?? They are barely selling over 900 Falcons a month. What is a G6? Ask your neighbour? Ask your accountant, ask your doctor? Falcon has fallen out of the top 20 and you are looking at percentages?

Honestly how many G-series did they sell last month? Percentages mean stuff all, how many did they sell? Hey, here is an idea!!! Ford should stop selling XR and XT then G series will be 100% of Falcon sales!! Success, Falcon is saved! Give me a break....

The fact is Ford's premium strategy is not working, whether you like the name or not the G Series name has no traction in the market, the G series was an oppurtunity to consolidate LTD, Fairlane, Fairmont Ghia, Fairmont and Futura buyers into the next generation of large luxury sedan buyers with a new and sophisticated status-driven sedan range. Sure Hertz and silver service cabs love them but the market doesn't care. Ford once again builds a new brand on the market with absolutely pathetic, penny pinching brand building - the shocking sales position of Falcon is once again proof that if you are going to do something, you have to do it right.
But this is were you are wrong again, those percentages basically haven't changed since the release of FG, which was selling a little better than late BFII. After FG release they sold a lot more G series cars than they had the year before with Futura, Fairmont and Ghia. They were basically non existent with BFII. Changing to G series resulted in a big shift to them away from XT.

FG dropping away within the last 2 years is an unrelated issue, the percentages of total sales of G series is still around the same as it was from the start.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2012, 09:43 PM   #102
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Well said Dave. My thoughts on your post.

Quote:
For years .... and I mean years people screamed for an engine above anything else. An investment was made (wisely or not) and the Miami was thankfully produced.
So I bought one. Yes it's not perfect But It's damn good. I just love the fact its quick.

Quote:
For what it is and marketed against, it cannot just be price. Even with the amount of investment by FPV they are still relatively the same price as a T series 12 years ago.
I bought one of them too. RRP at the time was $74,990.

Quote:
No wonder FPV are scratching there heads thinking WTF .... even some of those that asked for it aren't interested.
I don't understand it either. Years of "if only" attached to BA/BF being great cars that need more go. Now we have that.

Quote:
Maybe the problem is that the ones that make the most noise never really had the intention of buying one anyway ..... or at least not until they were well and truly established on the second hand market?
And that may be the answer right there.

For those that even remotely think they could buy one of these. Go drive it. Cruise it, then push it. Then post on here your thoughts.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:04 PM   #103
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Well in that case Elks ..... $74,990 means that the $70,000 (or less for what I paid) in 2012 is XR8 price relatively speaking I went to exhaustive lengths to compare as many cars I could for the price I was going to pay. Yes, in my mind the GT was what I really really wanted but I still had to be 100% sure that I wouldnt regret the purchase as to most of us, it is alot of money ... no question. The only things that came close were some Euro's but had to buy 5 year old cars to get similar (not better) performance as that was what I wanted.

Just so some can understand I am not so biased towards Ford ..... allowed the Mrs her BMW as it makes her happy. It is an E46 model, 2002. Doesn't even have cup holders as standard! WTF!!!!!!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 01-07-2012, 10:48 PM   #104
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks
I don't understand it either. Years of "if only" attached to BA/BF being great cars that need more go. Now we have that.
trouble is, in that time, people have come to expect their cars to be loaded with various 'gadgets' as well.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2012, 10:58 PM   #105
Saraco

No point complaining why FPV didn't get the supercharged 5.8, from the 2013 Shelby GT500. That engine is based on the iron block 5.4 and is not Euro 5 emissions compliant (which all new cars in Oz must comply with...but new cars in the US, don't have to comply with this standard) So Australia got the coyote/miami 5.0 instead, which is Euro 5 compliant.Thanks Julia and the greens.
Saraco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2012, 11:07 PM   #106
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son
trouble is, in that time, people have come to expect their cars to be loaded with various 'gadgets' as well.
I really don't want this thread to turn into this type of discussion as it has been done to death ...... but these cars ..... for the price .... and for the intended market ..... and for what FPV had to invest to get the engine instead of 'other bits' ...... it has what is required to make many happy!

Please look through some of the above posts ..... some people want bench seats and LESS bits. Have you actually been in a GT, let alone a GT-P ....... let alone a GT-E ..... ?? Do you actually know what gadgets that are available on the GT-E if thats what you are after? There is the new Focus which has more gadgets you can poke a stick at if that is what rocks your boat? So yes, there are other options.

I am ever so happy that every time I start the engine and push the loud peddle that the invested money from FPV went into an absolute STONK of an engine ..... and when you drive it everyday, you damn well know it too, rather than some extra what evers.

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 01-07-2012, 11:13 PM   #107
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yep, no frills, all thrills

$800 tune and you have an 11 sec car

I'm happy too
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2012, 08:26 AM   #108
08ESE

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT
FORD read last nights thread that was closed and the Forum Members angst and the comment of them not being as transparent as they could be, for Consumers and Australian Business Community, has prompted them to personally phone Russell this morning. He is in Melbourne busy working but will be posting tonight with the summary of his talks this morning. It would be inappropriate for me to comment but he will do so when home in his usual factual and direct way.

I do know that they want us all onside and Russell now has direct contact with them anytime it is needed.

This is IMO a great move forward and a positive step from FORD who recognise that the AFF is one of the main players in their support network. Good on them!

Gaela

so ford actually reads this forum??

i call BS, for if they did, they could see that we are marketing geniuses who could help them sell cars. If they really read these posts, theyd say HEY! maybe these guys are right??? if we tell people about our cars, they might buy them!!!
08ESE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2012, 08:45 AM   #109
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son
very true, look at the Cerato advert at the moment. advertising 'keyless entry', 'big boot space', 'ipod connectivity' and 'cup holders'! (everything a modern woman wants in a car).

problem with GT advertising is they get into trouble everytime they show these cars doing what WE want in them to do (fast acceleration, easy overtaking, skid off the mark?). So they are confined to a track and driven by allan moffat.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:51 AM   #110
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraco
No point complaining why FPV didn't get the supercharged 5.8, from the 2013 Shelby GT500. That engine is based on the iron block 5.4 and is not Euro 5 emissions compliant (which all new cars in Oz must comply with...but new cars in the US, don't have to comply with this standard) So Australia got the coyote/miami 5.0 instead, which is Euro 5 compliant.Thanks Julia and the greens.
US emissions probably exceed Euro at some levels, getting the GT500 engine wouldn't have been much of an issue in that front. It was Euro 4 that our 5.4 didn't meet though, which came in July 2010. At that time, Ford had only just put an aluminium block into the 2012 GT500 which featured the PTWA process. 5.8 was still 2 years away.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2012, 01:39 PM   #111
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

BTW - A public affairs type spokesman wouldn't be in the loop of what was really going in anyway. They are only told what management want released and the company line.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:52 PM   #112
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraco
US Tier 2 Bin 5 exceeds Euro 6 limitations so the S/C 5.8 would be fine.
The real point is the cost of the 5.8 being made as a complete engine in the US
retails as $29K as a crate engine, well at least the previous S/C 5.4 GT500 engine did.
It's the reason why FPV builds their own engines, they make more profit that way.
The 5.8 line was set up as a dedicated line for Shelby, maybe they paid for exclusive rights?
jpd80 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2012, 01:57 PM   #113
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
I
Like Ford bringing back the Taurus name in the US - even though it had a shocking image as a cut-price rental car, having people know the car exists is half the battle.
Agreed!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2012, 02:06 PM   #114
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Thumbs up Re: Ford Australia public affairs director Sinead Phipps told Drive: “We have no plans to

Quote:
Absolutely!

A good reminder of the fact that we now (finally) have a V8 engine that can wipe the smile off Holden fan's faces. No matter what they say, we have the bragging rights again.

Sure we had the bragging rights with the F6, but for the purists, a V8 it had to be. I have never owned a V8 (and sadly may never) but mate do I get it!

The fact that it was developed here is something else we can take pride in.

It may not be the saviour of the company that we hoped for, but surely we can all celebrate what a wonderful engine it is.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2012, 04:05 PM   #115
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
ask anyone, do you know what a G6 or G6E is,and you will get a blank look...
I just randomly asked a couple of people the question as an experiment, "Do you know what a G6 is?"

Can somebody please decipher for me, why the hell I was given the answer "Fly". Makes no sense at all?
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2012, 05:30 PM   #116
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
I just randomly asked a couple of people the question as an experiment, "Do you know what a G6 is?"

Can somebody please decipher for me, why the hell I was given the answer "Fly". Makes no sense at all?
Bloody hell ....... and I am the Grandpa around here. "I'm feeling so fly like a G6"

Get with it an be hip. Anyway .... I'm off to go and shizzle .... with me fizzle.

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-07-2012, 05:34 PM   #117
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Fly like a G6...turbo?

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 02-07-2012, 05:44 PM   #118
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Probably some far east movement...
jpd80 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2012, 06:14 PM   #119
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Probably some far east movement...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotat...tms&feature=iv

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2012, 06:26 PM   #120
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
very true, look at the Cerato advert at the moment. advertising 'keyless entry', 'big boot space', 'ipod connectivity' and 'cup holders'! (everything a modern woman wants in a car).

problem with GT advertising is they get into trouble everytime they show these cars doing what WE want in them to do (fast acceleration, easy overtaking, skid off the mark?). So they are confined to a track and driven by allan moffat.

So how come that Toymotor company can show their latest 2-door coupe going completely bonkers but Ford/FPV and Holden/HSV can only show their their hero cars idling around a race track

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post