Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-05-2006, 11:32 AM   #91
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chich
..and thats alot of $$ to be p**sing away in insurance every year. I know people with Porsche Turbo S's and SL55s that don't pay that much.
Yea older people who have rating 1 against there name. I'm rating 3 and ONLY just turned 21 mate. Besides i'd blow the doors off both of them anyway so who cares.
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2006, 12:17 PM   #92
kinksta
Luxojet

im 20, and have an 2005 XR6 N/A. my insurance is $600........
kinksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2006, 12:20 PM   #93
nobbystang

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinksta
im 20, and have an 2005 XR6 N/A. my insurance is $600........
Are you in vic?? I'm 29 and in NSW I am paying $700. quoted RACV for old residence and was $460, go figure??

Previous:
2011 SZ Territory Titanium
2008 Ford Edge AWD Limited
Silhouette BF XR6, ZF Auto
White EF GLi, XR look alike
VH Commodore
nobbystang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2006, 12:44 PM   #94
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

Have just changed my residential address from Katherine NT to Bowen QLD. My insurance has dropped by 50%. Was $1600, and is now $750 for comprehensive insurance for a 21 yr old. AAMI was cheaper, but CGU will give me staff discounts, so it will be cheaper still.
Old 11-05-2006, 01:30 PM   #95
Axle-F
AU - YEA YOU!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaytyn
Why is just car so cheap? They are $600 pa for 24yo with a BA XT, and RACV and the likes are $1200+

Is just car any good?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hambo_12
Im wondering that too. In my experience, they were very expensive... :
I literally renewed my insurance with Just Car two hours ago and they are the best for an east Sydney, 24 yo bloke with a modded XR6 NA. Cost: $1454

That said they are a bit pesky with the “agreed” value. I’d estimate my car is worth at least 20k – fully optioned, low K’s, professionally modded and tuned – but JCI won’t take less than $17,500 as the value.

Also I noticed (as I think Yaw mentioned) they’ve just added another $700 excess for a modded car. Combine that to the $800 regular excess and $550 excess for being 23-24 yo and I’d be looking at 2 grand to make any claim. Of course that’ll change when I turn 25 this year but so will my whole choice among who I can insure with so I won’t digress. Essentially they’re huge excess makes up for their cheap premium. Fine as long as I continue my plan of not crashing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry_v
you guys who are paying $2k+ per year for insurance... I hope you enjoy the piece of mind. 2k+1k excess gives you 3k in the first year to fix any accident damage... 6k in the second year... 9k in the third year.

You'd want to be writing it off in the first year to get your money's worth!
Barry you are assuming here that the driver has a claim every year. That would have to be a pretty aweful driver (Paris Hilton maybe?) and I’m sure insurance companies would push up the price on that type of driver!
Old 11-05-2006, 02:12 PM   #96
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle-F
That said they are a bit pesky with the “agreed” value. I’d estimate my car is worth at least 20k – fully optioned, low K’s, professionally modded and tuned – but JCI won’t take less than $17,500 as the value.

yeah a few companies will give you a lower premium with huge excesses. As far as the car being worth 20K+, put it this way, you can get a MK1 02 BA XR8 for around $25,000 now, so that should put in in perspective. I know you've done mods and tunes etc and i understand what you're saying, but it doesn't boost the value of it much at all. I'm not knocking your car, i'm sure it's a bullet but 17k is probably a pretty good value. Mine (bf xr6) is valued at $33,000 - and that's the same day i bought it. Bear in mind the RRP of the car had i paid it, with the options chosen would have made it around $43,000 or more - as soon as it's out the gate it drops 10k.... love it!
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2006, 02:59 PM   #97
kinksta
Luxojet

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobbystang
Are you in vic?? I'm 29 and in NSW I am paying $700. quoted RACV for old residence and was $460, go figure??
im in south australia and i am just 20 years old....
kinksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2006, 08:53 PM   #98
chich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRQTOR
Yea older people who have rating 1 against there name. I'm rating 3 and ONLY just turned 21 mate. Besides i'd blow the doors off both of them anyway so who cares.
You'd blow the doors off a 368kw/700nm AMG Benz... right. You do understand that the SL55 and Turbo S run 11 second quarters out of the box don't you?? Even if you did 'blow the doors' off them as you state, good luck trying to stop on your 250mm single piston brakes :hihi:
chich is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2006, 08:55 PM   #99
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
You'd blow the doors off a 368kw/700nm AMG Benz... right. You do understand that the SL55 and Turbo S run 11 second quarters out of the box don't you?? Even if you did 'blow the doors' off them as you state, good luck trying to stop on your 250mm single piston brakes :hihi:
Yep and my car is making 377rwkw on a very modest tune. Where did i mention i have single piston brakes.
Old 13-05-2006, 12:05 AM   #100
Aeron
DJR Fan

Quote:
Yep and my car is making 377rwkw on a very modest tune. Where did i mention i have single piston brakes.
One day, i dont care when it is, you have to take me for a burn in your XR8. That thing sounds nuts!! If you have any pics, please email them to me at Aeron17@yahoo.com

[/off_topic]
EC 1:51.283
WP 1:10.190

Me Drifting on the Skid Pan **Video**
Aeron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2006, 01:31 AM   #101
chich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well done, thats a very respectable power figure. Have you tried winding her up to a couple hundred klicks an hour to see how stable she is?? A chassis thats designed for taxis is not capable of effectively harnessing 377rwkw of power. Anyways, my point is your 'i will blow the doors off them' statement is not only pretty bold and silly, but one that would be laughed at had you have made that statement to an owner of such a vehicle... you're comparing (of all things) a purpose built weapon from AMG to a humble XR8. If you want straight line speed go buy a dragster - the fact remains that the German cars will blow your doors off in every department concievable..

Anyhow - lets agree to disagree. Back on topic
Old 13-05-2006, 01:57 AM   #102
pandaman
Back in Blue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun
I would check RACQ/NRMA in your state, although we only have an XR6 my son 18yr old P plate is on the policy as a driver and accrues a NCB for when he gets his own insurance.
Yeah, he's right, RACQ/RACV/NRMA will insure just about anything if it's fairly stock. They're expensive, but hey, that's the price you pay for driving a niiiiice vehicle. Well that's what I like to tell myself, given that NRMA is one of the only insurance companies that will cover me, as a 20yr old driving a V8. Dead serious, pretty much none of em are interested in covering a young fella driving a stock family wagon, weird hey? :

Back in Blue baby!
pandaman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2006, 02:00 AM   #103
pandaman
Back in Blue!

Quote:
Well done, thats a very respectable power figure. Have you tried winding her up to a couple hundred klicks an hour to see how stable she is?? A chassis thats designed for taxis is not capable of effectively harnessing 377rwkw of power. Anyways, my point is your 'i will blow the doors off them' statement is not only pretty bold and silly, but one that would be laughed at had you have made that statement to an owner of such a vehicle... you're comparing (of all things) a purpose built weapon from AMG to a humble XR8. If you want straight line speed go buy a dragster - the fact remains that the German cars will blow your doors off in every department concievable..

Quickly off topic again, whats to say that the chassis isn't over-engineered for it's application as a taxi? Oh and just for your info, BA XR8 has twin piston front brakes. (XR8's have had em since AUII i'm pretty sure) Not that it actually matters, swept area of rotor is the main factor in braking performance in brakes of the size used on falcons if memory serves. :-)

Back in Blue baby!
pandaman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2006, 08:36 AM   #104
YOOT
Banned

I bought my XR6 Turbo when I was 20/21 and my insurance for the first year with Just Cars on Rating 4 was $2030, last year it dropped to $1750 as I went to Rating 3, this year I will drop again to a rating 2 so I might see around $1300, then the year after that I will be a rating 1. Can't see it dropping below $1000 though.

Hmmm, that means I will spend $6000 on insurance in 4 years. :
YOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2006, 12:34 PM   #105
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeron
One day, i dont care when it is, you have to take me for a burn in your XR8. That thing sounds nuts!! If you have any pics, please email them to me at Aeron17@yahoo.com

[/off_topic]
Will do mate, just need to sort an issue with the diff out then i'll take you for a spin.

No pics atm, will get some soon once it's all clean and prettied up.
Old 13-05-2006, 12:44 PM   #106
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:

Have you not noticed the price difference between a x8 and a AMG, off the top of my head it'd be close to $1ooK wouldn't it. Granted it's only a taxi at the end of the day but i'm quite pleased with the way it performs esp for what it owes me, when i get older and have more money to splash about on car's ill be buying something alittle nicer and alot quicker.

You would be supprised at how strong the chassis is, granted it may have issues if i was trying to race it and launching it from 5ooorpm but i dont so it's not an issue.
Old 13-05-2006, 01:15 PM   #107
chich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaman
Quickly off topic again, whats to say that the chassis isn't over-engineered for it's application as a taxi? Oh and just for your info, BA XR8 has twin piston front brakes. (XR8's have had em since AUII i'm pretty sure) Not that it actually matters, swept area of rotor is the main factor in braking performance in brakes of the size used on falcons if memory serves. :-)
The diameter of the rotor is the most critical area - not the swept area. You need a big force evenly spread across the pad (thank you multi piston calipers) from the furthest distance from the hub. This gives you the most leverage (i.e stopping power).

I know the BA XR8's have twin piston calipers, but guess what, they're twin piston floating calipers. Subaru's WRX that weighs 400kg less than a BA has had 4-spot (2 pistons on each side) calipers since 1997.
Old 13-05-2006, 01:24 PM   #108
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
The diameter of the rotor is the most critical area - not the swept area. You need a big force evenly spread across the pad (thank you multi piston calipers) from the furthest distance from the hub. This gives you the most leverage (i.e stopping power).

I know the BA XR8's have twin piston calipers, but guess what, they're twin piston floating calipers. Subaru's WRX that weighs 400kg less than a BA has had 4-spot (2 pistons on each side) calipers since 1997.
Even with the standard Ba brakes it pulled up reasonbly well, drive to your and the car's ability. I flog the car everwhere i go and with them on i never had any close calls because i always left enough room to brake.

Whats red and starts with B and has 6 piston's, they have been on my car for the last few weeks and i am impressed. But they wont be staying on there, a set of premium BF brakes will be replaceing them when they come off.
Old 13-05-2006, 01:33 PM   #109
chich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Have you not noticed the price difference between a x8 and a AMG, off the top of my head it'd be close to $1ooK wouldn't it. Granted it's only a taxi at the end of the day but i'm quite pleased with the way it performs esp for what it owes me, when i get older and have more money to splash about on car's ill be buying something alittle nicer and alot quicker.

You would be supprised at how strong the chassis is, granted it may have issues if i was trying to race it and launching it from 5ooorpm but i dont so it's not an issue.
The price difference is actually closer to $300K. No doubt your XR8 is a great package for the total dollars spent - i'd be pleased if i did the same, but saying you'll blow the doors off a 55 is a big call. Even if the XR8 was quicker in a straight line the Benz would have it fingered in handling, comfort, quality, top speed, braking, reliability.. and the list goes on..

They're in completely different leagues.. you just can't compare the two. Just enjoy your car knowing you can blow the doors off most things..
Old 13-05-2006, 03:23 PM   #110
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The price difference is actually closer to $300K. No doubt your XR8 is a great package for the total dollars spent - i'd be pleased if i did the same, but saying you'll blow the doors off a 55 is a big call. Even if the XR8 was quicker in a straight line the Benz would have it fingered in handling, comfort, quality, top speed, braking, reliability.. and the list goes on..

They're in completely different leagues.. you just can't compare the two. Just enjoy your car knowing you can blow the doors off most things..
reliability ...... not really mercedes brake down too,
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2006, 05:09 PM   #111
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
..and thats alot of $$ to be p**sing away in insurance every year. I know people with Porsche Turbo S's and SL55s that don't pay that much.
They might not pay that much for thier insurance,but are they 21. I probably think not.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2006, 05:13 PM   #112
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeron

[/off_topic]
Aeron you have to do it. I see that car around all the time and without a doubt it would have to be the toughest sounding XR8 out there. It's insane :
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2006, 07:11 PM   #113
chich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPID XR8
They might not pay that much for thier insurance,but are they 21. I probably think not.
They're not 21 but the value of the car is 10 times that of an XR8.