Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-12-2019, 05:04 PM   #91
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Default Re: 5000th RAM

I'm surprised how much crap Thailand cops considering that US quality was terrible for years and probably isnt much better now.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 31-12-2019, 05:07 PM   #92
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
That makes no sense, cause it’s the yanks unwillingness to build rhd f series that is stopping it coming here. It’s not FoA stopping it.

Yanks are flat chat with f series production just supplying north america. They don’t give 2 ****s about selling a couple thousand a year in australia. Complete woftam for them.
There'd be a lot of former Ford and GM employees capable of converting LHD to RHD if Ford US wasn't interested.
2 users like this post:
Old 31-12-2019, 05:16 PM   #93
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
There'd be a lot of former Ford and GM employees capable of converting LHD to RHD if Ford US wasn't interested.
And we had plenty of them back in the 70s and 80s as tow trucks, paddy wagons and ambulances.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 31-12-2019, 05:25 PM   #94
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Are they air operated with a booster on each one?
It wouldn't matter. There would be something else to pick on if they were.

Folks just love to hate dual cabs on here. Mostly because they contradict everything they thought they knew about the buying public. Big engines and going fast don't matter to Joe public.
Old 31-12-2019, 05:41 PM   #95
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post

Folks just love to hate dual cabs on here. Mostly because they contradict everything they thought they knew about the buying public. Big engines and going fast don't matter to Joe public.
Yep I hate them cause Joe public thinks it perfectly alright to load them to (and over) capacity which effects other road users.

This user likes this post:
Old 31-12-2019, 05:45 PM   #96
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Yep I hate them cause Joe public thinks it perfectly alright to load them to (and over) capacity which effects other road users.
yes, i'm aware many like to tar all with the same brush due to the actions of a few...
Old 31-12-2019, 06:02 PM   #97
roKWiz
Cabover nut

The few seem to be growing.

Old 31-12-2019, 06:09 PM   #98
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
I don’t know whether to describe the situation as confirmation bias or Stockholm Syndrome. I’m leaning to the latter given the garbage offered by the vehicle companies in Australia. There’s no good reason why the consumer isn’t able to walk into a Ford dealership in Oz and purchase a F Truck with all the bells and whistles available. Instead, we’re sold this Taiwanese plastic junk designed in Oz, built overseas in 3rd world countries and pay 1st world rates for it.

No wonder companies like Ford and Government Motors is on the nose.
The problem isn't with the supplier only supplying Ranger at a mark up, the problem is the buyer signing up to it.
Stop buying their cash cow and they'll take notice.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2019, 06:14 PM   #99
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:

I don't hate dual cabs because of buying trends, I just think the small ones aren't the answer to all like some do.
Bigger is better, the only people who think otherwise want a 2.0l to be a performance engine.
When I mentioned the 2.0l Ranger to old mate he just laughed.
Old 31-12-2019, 06:42 PM   #100
prydey
Rob

I just figured the buying public buy the cars they want. No one has a gun to their head when making the decision. They choose the car they think will suit their purpose. Its pretty simple.

Others can sit back on a forum and speculate as to the reasons why certain vehicles are purchased, or comment on buying trends, but at the end of the day, the public choose freely.
Old 31-12-2019, 07:04 PM   #101
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220 View Post
I'm surprised how much crap Thailand cops considering that US quality was terrible for years and probably isnt much better now.
It isn't it's still rubbish.
Old 31-12-2019, 07:09 PM   #102
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
I just figured the buying public buy the cars they want. No one has a gun to their head when making the decision. They choose the car they think will suit their purpose. Its pretty simple.

Others can sit back on a forum and speculate as to the reasons why certain vehicles are purchased, or comment on buying trends, but at the end of the day, the public choose freely.
Agreed, which is what I said on the previous page, however, until the release of the RAM 1500 that choice has been limited, like you said, if you wanted anything better than a Thai special you had to look at the agricultural 79 series...until now, where you can get a dual cab to suit your needs with all the bells and whistles and if you need a little more and your life decisions allow for it, a 2500.

No one's saying people can't accept a Thai special if its adequate, but nor should people be criticised for wanting more bang for their buck.
Old 01-01-2020, 01:02 PM   #103
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
If you want F series then you'd have to buy it through VDC realistically, they don't have economy of scale like HSV do to offer the lower pricing structure.
Exactly, The Local Ford Dealer here is a Performax Dealer.

https://www.performaxint.com.au/

He's got a Povo pack F150 extra cab for $107K. A good $27k more the the ram1500.
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 01-01-2020, 01:07 PM   #104
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

The buying public buy what's available. Offer Chevrolet Silverado 2500, Dodge Ram 2500, Nissan Titan, Ford F-250, Toyota Tundra, Nissan Frontier, GMC Sierra 1500, Toyota Tacoma, Chevrolet Silverado 1500 and Ford F-150 and see what vehicles they choose.
7 users like this post:
Old 01-01-2020, 01:54 PM   #105
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
The buying public buy what's available. Offer Chevrolet Silverado 2500, Dodge Ram 2500, Nissan Titan, Ford F-250, Toyota Tundra, Nissan Frontier, GMC Sierra 1500, Toyota Tacoma, Chevrolet Silverado 1500 and Ford F-150 and see what vehicles they choose.
Exactly.
They've sold 3000 examples this year, if the RAM 1500 wasn't available those 3000 buyers would have bought the next best thing, which many agree is the Ranger, LC200 or 79 series depending on what it is that it needs to do.
In the absence of choice you can only take what's on offer, that they've sold 3000 suggests that there is a market for them for those that want a bit more.

As someone said earlier, when companies like Toyota and Ford have market leaders which yield handsome profit margins, something we're continuously told is the direction Ford are taking, why would they give the public an alternative for the same coin.
RAM doesn't have a direct competitor in those segments, its small offering is the 1500 so its not cannibalising its own product. If you're a Ford or Toyota fan and wouldn't consider an alternative brand then you're stuck with what's on offer and whilst some will claim its their choice and money to stick with their brands offerings, and that's fine, perhaps if those who would consider the bigger option if it we're available, took their business elsewhere, Ford and Toyota might reconsider.
5 users like this post:
Old 01-01-2020, 02:02 PM   #106
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Exactly.
They've sold 3000 examples this year, if the RAM 1500 wasn't available those 3000 buyers would have bought the next best thing, which many agree is the Ranger, LC200 or 79 series depending on what it is that it needs to do.
In the absence of choice you can only take what's on offer, that they've sold 3000 suggests that there is a market for them for those that want a bit more.

As someone said earlier, when companies like Toyota and Ford have market leaders which yield handsome profit margins, something we're continuously told is the direction Ford are taking, why would they give the public an alternative for the same coin.
RAM doesn't have a direct competitor in those segments, its small offering is the 1500 so its not cannibalising its own product. If you're a Ford or Toyota fan and wouldn't consider an alternative brand then you're stuck with what's on offer and whilst some will claim its their choice and money to stick with their brands offerings, and that's fine, perhaps if those who would consider the bigger option if it we're available, took their business elsewhere, Ford and Toyota might reconsider.
Agreed, the limited amount of biggggg tow rigs of that class and bigger is probably the reason there are still so many older F250, F350 and duallie Silverado's getting around.
Given the choice at the same price point I doubt TTT would be as popular.

4 users like this post:
Old 01-01-2020, 02:32 PM   #107
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

The Ram Silverado and F150 were available before as converted LHDs,
it's just since HSV has made conversion/remanufacturing more efficient
that the public has taken notice, they took the time from 140 hrs to 70 hrs
and I think that's why the price is now within striking distance.

Something most haven't considered is what will be in the next gen Ranger
and will that in turn be enough to influence buyers to stay or even return?
Ram and Silverado are still not a threat to Ranger's high series sales but,
the next two years are going to be very interesting...

There is opportunity to do some RHD specials on Super Duty out of Avon Lake,
Ford has transferred more work there in the previous year, it's still a big stretch.
F-Series sales in the US are set to balloon in the next year or so, people are just
so excited about the new 7.3 gasoline engine, looks to be what many have wanted.

Last edited by jpd80; 01-01-2020 at 02:41 PM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 01-01-2020, 03:02 PM   #108
prydey
Rob

While I agree there may be a minority that would buy bigger if they were available, I'll stop short of saying the lack of options is the reason the dual cabs are selling well.
I think it's a bit 'chicken or egg' scenario as well. Do people buy the vehicles they do because that's what is available or do manufacturers supply the vehicles the market wants? Cars like hilux and LC (incl. Prado) have always been popular. Other manufacturers just decide to grab themselves a piece of the pie.
Old 01-01-2020, 04:43 PM   #109
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
While I agree there may be a minority that would buy bigger if they were available, I'll stop short of saying the lack of options is the reason the dual cabs are selling well.
I think it's a bit 'chicken or egg' scenario as well. Do people buy the vehicles they do because that's what is available or do manufacturers supply the vehicles the market wants? Cars like hilux and LC (incl. Prado) have always been popular. Other manufacturers just decide to grab themselves a piece of the pie.
I wonder about which comes first. Much of Australia is just so huge with such big distances and spaces, no reason why the bigger utes can't find a place among the 8 million Australians who live outside urban areas. Choice is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus
It would be amazing to see all those offered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
The Ram Silverado and F150 were available before as converted LHDs,
it's just since HSV has made conversion/remanufacturing more efficient
that the public has taken notice, they took the time from 140 hrs to 70 hrs
and I think that's why the price is now within striking distance.

Something most haven't considered is what will be in the next gen Ranger
and will that in turn be enough to influence buyers to stay or even return?
Ram and Silverado are still not a threat to Ranger's high series sales but,
the next two years are going to be very interesting...

There is opportunity to do some RHD specials on Super Duty out of Avon Lake,
Ford has transferred more work there in the previous year, it's still a big stretch.
F-Series sales in the US are set to balloon in the next year or so, people are just
so excited about the new 7.3 gasoline engine, looks to be what many have wanted.
Always admire someone who can make a production process more efficient (read: cheaper) - hopefully without diluting quality!

And a 7.3 gasoline engine being hotly anticipated - wow, that unit will stave off the coming ice age!
Old 01-01-2020, 04:48 PM   #110
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here's me reminiscing about my trip to North America and all the beaut pick up trucks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8JW75Lv25k

Probably about time for this little gem. No papers.
Old 01-01-2020, 07:49 PM   #111
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Isnt the only reason that Thai built utes have rear drum brakes is that the manufactures get a decent tax break? There is some old law the gives tax breaks to commercial vehicles with rear drum brakes or something like that.
jstanovic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2020, 08:46 PM   #112
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanovic View Post
Isnt the only reason that Thai built utes have rear drum brakes is that the manufactures get a decent tax break? There is some old law the gives tax breaks to commercial vehicles with rear drum brakes or something like that.
No, disc front/drum rear just something that's been grandfathered through
generations and based on known long term reliability. Most of the braking
is done by the front discs anyway..
Old 01-01-2020, 08:55 PM   #113
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Falcon got rear disc's standard 35 years ago, and everyone called it a dinosaur.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2020, 08:56 PM   #114
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
I wonder about which comes first. Much of Australia is just so huge with such big distances and spaces, no reason why the bigger utes can't find a place among the 8 million Australians who live outside urban areas. Choice is good.
They're an absolute cow to park, our bays tend to be too skinny and short.
Double car garages can be fun too, they're just wide enough to make things
a bit squishy for the second vehicle.

For all of that, the people who want them still love them and put up
with things others would complain about. God bless them as they may
just force change from manufacturers.

I tip my hat to HSV and Walkinshaw, they've transitioned form upgrading
local vehicles to these mini assembly lines pumping out full sized pick ups
that command premium prices.

Quote:
Always admire someone who can make a production process more efficient (read: cheaper) - hopefully without diluting quality!

And a 7.3 gasoline engine being hotly anticipated - wow, that unit will stave off the coming ice age!
When you're engineering for vehicles that are mostly loaded up, more engine
capacity improves fuel efficiency when deeper into the throttle.

Under those conditions, a large atmo engine can maintain 14.7:1 mixture strength
where boosted engine would be constantly under enrichment at around 11.5:1
to avoid detonation with regular grade fuel, a requirement with commercial fleets.

The 7.3 looks to be a $2K premium over the 6.2 gasoline engine but way
less than the 6.7 Powerstroke diesel that are usually a $10K premium.
Add to that the extra cost of services and maintenance and plenty of buyers
are looking for a much simpler gasoline powered truck. It's back to basics.

Last edited by jpd80; 01-01-2020 at 09:07 PM.
4 users like this post:
Old 01-01-2020, 09:36 PM   #115
jgmdat

Quote:
I believe the only way you will ever have all those options is if you move to the USA. Sad but true.
jgmdat is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2020, 10:18 PM   #116
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR Martin View Post
Falcon got rear disc's standard 35 years ago, and everyone called it a dinosaur.
That was sedans & wagons only (1986 - 34 years ago).

The Falcon ute & van still had rear drums up to 1992 XF. The XG ute & van was the first commercial series to get rear discs. That's around 28 years ago.

Dr Terry

Last edited by Dr Terry; 01-01-2020 at 10:37 PM.
Dr Terry is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-01-2020, 10:48 PM   #117
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanovic View Post
Drums are way cheaper to manufacture, plus discs do most of the front braking anyway. Some of the very cheap Chinese hatchbacks sold in Australia in the early 2000s were still running rear drums

Most semis nowadays are disc brakes due to better stopping power and less brake fade. Actually there is good money in converting older semis to discs (it’s not cheap but many operators see it as worthwhile)

Last edited by Brazen; 01-01-2020 at 10:55 PM.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2020, 11:30 PM   #118
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
Drums are way cheaper to manufacture, plus discs do most of the front braking anyway. Some of the very cheap Chinese hatchbacks sold in Australia in the early 2000s were still running rear drums

Most semis nowadays are disc brakes due to better stopping power and less brake fade. Actually there is good money in converting older semis to discs (it’s not cheap but many operators see it as worthwhile)
You should see what the pads look like, they're freakin' huge and real thick compared to car ones.

There is still drums on the back of our WS Fiesta, a lot of the micro segment cars still have rear drums, not just cheap Chinese crap.

They squeal and carry on like a pork chop too when they're cold just out of the driveway for the first few applications of the brakes, was doing it after the first service.

It stops if I pull the drum off and give them a good clean up inside, but give it a few thousand kilometers and its squealing again.

Add in things like they need adjusting as well, yeah they're cheap but they're a pain in the ***, you'll never replace a set of shoes on the rear of a micro car though

Haven't even done pads or rotors in my Focus yet, still got the original pads and rotors it come off the production line with and its got 180,000km on it now.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2020, 12:43 AM   #119
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
And a 7.3 gasoline engine being hotly anticipated
Say what?
Old 02-01-2020, 12:58 AM   #120
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Say what?
Well I guess he could have said spark ignition engine instead

Which would be more accurate if it has flex fuel capability but semantics.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post