Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 01-11-2005, 10:08 PM   #91
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MaDDeSTMaN
If I was good enough at business planning and market research, and was sure I could get the required investment money to get it off the ground and be able to keep the business going until it starts to make a profit (I know enough to know it often takes a minimum of at least 6 months before any real profit is made when you take into account startup costs), I'd get started on it myself...

If you were only in this neck of the woods, I could fill your head with the business planning and market research side of things... Seriously!!!
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2005, 10:09 PM   #92
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirtekGirl76
Um - heres an idea - if we all sold our cars we could afford to do this
maybe some of you this could be true...
but
a) I would never ever sell my baby
b) it isnt really worth that much anyway
:
Old 01-11-2005, 10:11 PM   #93
The MaDDeSTMaN
No longer driving a Ford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery
The maddestman... the problem in this area is you have Supercheap, Autobarn, Repco and diddly squat else really (Im talking price wise too).... so a little (well not so little) store would do great business, which then can lead to awesome stores in every state........
Yes, but they are known, established businesses that are pretty much household names that are already running a profit, and so it could be rather difficult to compete with them seeing as any new business would unknown by the general public, and making the general public know about a new business costs money, potentially quite a lot.
The MaDDeSTMaN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2005, 10:12 PM   #94
phoon
BOLLOCKS

Maddest, you shouldnt expect to see a Return on Investment for at least 2 years. You would need to build that factor into your business plan. By the way there are investment companies that invest in Start ups, they are known as Venture capitalists or commonly known as business angels. They normally require more ROI than a bank, but they give as well as start up capital, sound business advice for the first few years of operation to ensure their investment is being looked after. One such company is Mezzanine Investments if you want to go on a search engine and look them up.
phoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2005, 10:16 PM   #95
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes, but they are known, established businesses that are pretty much household names that are already running a profit, and so it could be rather difficult to compete with them seeing as any new business would unknown by the general public, and making the general public know about a new business costs money, potentially quite a lot.

I know what you are saying... but..... How many people are here on this forum? The marketplace would entail all members talking to other people and so on so forth.......
There are car events (free advertising in one way) etc that would boost the name, which boosts the business...

Look in honesty, I could really waffle on about the whys and hows and dotting i and crossing ts.......
Did businessplanning as a subject last year..... its not as hard as anyone thinks... but yes you are right that I would take a bit to be seeing profit...but until profit, you really only need skeleton staff (like ME : - sorry just had to pop that in)....

Ok I will jump off soapbox now and live this thread alone :
Old 01-11-2005, 10:20 PM   #96
The MaDDeSTMaN

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoon
Maddest, you shouldnt expect to see a Return on Investment for at least 2 years. You would need to build that factor into your business plan. By the way there are investment companies that invest in Start ups, they are known as Venture capitalists or commonly known as business angels. They normally require more ROI than a bank, but they give as well as start up capital, sound business advice for the first few years of operation to ensure their investment is being looked after. One such company is Mezzanine Investments if you want to go on a search engine and look them up.
Yeah, I said 6 months minimum, but that would be a best case senario really, I have looked into this sort of thing before in the past, and I think I've still got some of the business planning documents I wrote stored on my computer, I just have my doubts about competing with the big existing stores (or even some of the smaller ones), particularly when I think one of the biggest issues would be getting the word out to potential customers and getting them to check out the store for themselves.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:27 PM   #97
vegabass
BASS ON BOARD!

I get looked after at my local Autobarn, they know I refer business to them and as i have a part time car audio business they will do there best in makeing sure i get what i need and fast.

they own WRX's and Stu has a nice red SS ute (ill wash my mouth out later)
they show genuine interest in my projects.

I know i could buy the same part cheaper elsewhere but they also have cheaper prices on some items.
Im happy to pay a little extra for the warm welcome when i walk in the door and 90% of the time they will give me 5meters of cable for the price of 3.

It wouldnt hurt to have another friendly place to go to for my 3.5m of cable and nick nacks
Old 01-11-2005, 10:29 PM   #98
vegabass
BASS ON BOARD!

Quote:
Yeah, I said 6 months minimum, but that would be a best case senario really, I have looked into this sort of thing before in the past, and I think I've still got some of the business planning documents I wrote stored on my computer, I just have my doubts about competing with the big existing stores (or even some of the smaller ones), particularly when I think one of the biggest issues would be getting the word out to potential customers and getting them to check out the store for themselves.

Good Marketing. Open with a *Bang* Carnival style and a sausage sizzle is always a goodie
Old 01-11-2005, 10:29 PM   #99
The MaDDeSTMaN

Quote:
I know what you are saying... but..... How many people are here on this forum? The marketplace would entail all members talking to other people and so on so forth.......
There are car events (free advertising in one way) etc that would boost the name, which boosts the business...

Look in honesty, I could really waffle on about the whys and hows and dotting i and crossing ts.......
Did businessplanning as a subject last year..... its not as hard as anyone thinks... but yes you are right that I would take a bit to be seeing profit...but until profit, you really only need skeleton staff (like ME : - sorry just had to pop that in)....

Ok I will jump off soapbox now and live this thread alone :
True, isn't that called 'viral marketing', an awful name for an interesting concept, that is people telling people, who tell people...

The other issue that comes to my mind is that I wouldn't want to be in direct competition with any site sponsors here, not during start-up, nor in the future. Unless it was possible to combine resources and knowledge, sort of a "you scratch my back, and I'll scratch yours" sort of deal.

It's POSSIBLY a viable idea, however much research and planning would be required, and it would still be risky. However, if it got off the ground and did well, it would be well worth it...

*wanders off thinking*
Old 01-11-2005, 10:30 PM   #100
phoon
BOLLOCKS

Quote:
Best form of defence, is attack. Find the biggest a#se Supercheap store you can find, and open up right next door. Not down the street, but right next door. Make sure your signage on your building is Bigger and Brighter than theres, and there you have it. Instant customers. Anyone going to there store, will certainly check out yours to compare. Once they are in, the hard bits done, smother them with service, knowledge and good product. That is your marketing plan taken care of. Do you get it, let your competition pay for your marketing.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:31 PM   #101
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Um - heres an idea - if we all sold our cars we could afford to do this
But if I sold the Gecko I wouldn't need auto accessories, sorry the gecko stays!
Old 01-11-2005, 10:34 PM   #102
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Maddestman
that is my point exactly......
Start planning your businessplan, start researching (survey people first),
speak to this (and other) forum sponsors to see if they would jump on board...
Its a great idea, and I know I have thought etc about this before, for the reasons I have stated a few times in this thread.......

The only problem with it I can see (and please dont take this the wrong way) you are in Vic (correct?) so, how would that help the members that are here being vocal (or not) in Qld (unless you want to move here ;) )
Old 01-11-2005, 10:35 PM   #103
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

[QUOTE=The MaDDeSTMaN]True, isn't that called 'viral marketing', an awful name for an interesting concept, that is people telling people, who tell people...

QUOTE]
Also by far the most effective form of advertising, the spoken word.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:36 PM   #104
vegabass
BASS ON BOARD!

Business is easier in the flesh but with video confrencing and the wonders of the internet, Plane tickets being cheap as chips, its not hard to do business over long distances
Old 01-11-2005, 10:38 PM   #105
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegabass
Business is easier in the flesh but with video confrencing and the wonders of the internet, Plane tickets being cheap as chips, its not hard to do business over long distances

well see that is still a problem for me.....Im a demanding b*tch and like to actually touch things before buying (dont be rude any of you either).....
I have bought off the net etc but I loveeeeeeeeee to browse an auto shop (just wish there was one that was halfway decent -I do miss the ones I used to shop at when in SA)
Old 01-11-2005, 10:39 PM   #106
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Best form of defence, is attack. Find the biggest a#se Supercheap store you can find, and open up right next door. Not down the street, but right next door. Make sure your signage on your building is Bigger and Brighter than theres, and there you have it. Instant customers. Anyone going to there store, will certainly check out yours to compare. Once they are in, the hard bits done, smother them with service, knowledge and good product. That is your marketing plan taken care of. Do you get it, let your competition pay for your marketing.
The problem is that store would sell their items for next to nothing, a price that a fledgling store can not compete with. Because they have large capital they can cover it. Better to sneak up on them and take them out when you have capital behind you, don't pick on the big guys until you have some firepower.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:39 PM   #107
Penelope Pitstop
Can't get enough of this.

Location: Standing on the driveway sobbing because I don't have a PINK ute anymore :0(

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoxr8
But if I sold the Gecko I wouldn't need auto accessories, sorry the gecko stays!
Your just not a team player Lynton.
Penelope Pitstop is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2005, 10:43 PM   #108
phoon
BOLLOCKS

I think Ive created a monster.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:44 PM   #109
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Your just not a team player Lynton.
If you sell your soon to be three cars we will have a pretty good start!
Old 01-11-2005, 10:47 PM   #110
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If you sell your soon to be three cars we will have a pretty good start!

Oh I know, we sell Pirtekgirls soon to be 3 and sell Mr Phoons already 3 and all done...... shop ready to be opened : :hihi: : :
Old 01-11-2005, 10:48 PM   #111
phoon
BOLLOCKS

Quote:
The problem is that store would sell their items for next to nothing, a price that a fledgling store can not compete with. Because they have large capital they can cover it. Better to sneak up on them and take them out when you have capital behind you, don't pick on the big guys until you have some firepower.
They may have large capital, but you forget grasshopper, they have even larger overheads. If theres one thing for sure that Ive learned in business, service service and service. You are not after all there business, that will never happen, 20% of one large supercheap stores turnover with healthy margins would be nice to start with.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:49 PM   #112
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I think Ive created a monster.
Not being rude but from what i read you want to start an auto accesory store yes, good product , service and price
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2005, 10:51 PM   #113
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
Not being rude but from what i read you want to start an auto accerory store yes, good product , service and price
your not being rude by asking that but Im gathering there is a point about to be made !!!!!!!!! Would I be right??
Old 01-11-2005, 10:53 PM   #114
phoon
BOLLOCKS

oh no, here we go again
Old 01-11-2005, 10:55 PM   #115
phoon
BOLLOCKS

by the way, who's the cad and bounder that hijacked this thread and turned it into a new store, I cant remember
Old 01-11-2005, 10:57 PM   #116
vegabass
BASS ON BOARD!

Im stepping away slowly and hideing behind my car that needs a gromet for the firewall for the amp kit.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:59 PM   #117
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
by the way, who's the cad and bounder that hijacked this thread and turned it into a new store, I cant remember

that would have been........... ummmm......... wellllllllll.............
--------->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> whoever is over that way I think :
Old 01-11-2005, 11:06 PM   #118
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im not sure where that was going???????

DOC is the detailing products king sooooo :

nope I will stop there
Old 01-11-2005, 11:07 PM   #119
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
your not being rude by asking that but Im gathering there is a point about to be made !!!!!!!!! Would I be right??
No point, but interested as looking at doing similar.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2005, 11:09 PM   #120
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
No point, but interested as looking at doing similar.
so now I see a partnership going interstate