Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 03-05-2012, 09:48 PM   #1021
Addz08
"FEED IT"

Default Re: Who works in the mines and what doing

Yeah for sure, pm me if ya need my details.
BA XR8 UTE ,PACEMAKER 4/1'S,MAGNAFLOW METALCORE CATS,TOYS CUSTOM TWIN 2 1/2 SYSTEM, CAPA TUNE, K&N FILTER, LIGHTENED BILLET STEEL FLYWHEEL, DCS CLUTCH, SS INDUCTIONS BIGMOUTH CAI, 20" FR20 SIMMONS....
Addz08 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2012, 09:52 PM   #1022
Addz08
"FEED IT"

Quote:
Originally Posted by piggsy
what happened....what was there excuse for not giving you the job?

love the companies that say you need experience................how the **** do you get experience if they dont give you a start .
They said other candidates were more suited to the position
, but everyone was in the same position... Inexperienced!
BA XR8 UTE ,PACEMAKER 4/1'S,MAGNAFLOW METALCORE CATS,TOYS CUSTOM TWIN 2 1/2 SYSTEM, CAPA TUNE, K&N FILTER, LIGHTENED BILLET STEEL FLYWHEEL, DCS CLUTCH, SS INDUCTIONS BIGMOUTH CAI, 20" FR20 SIMMONS....
Old 04-05-2012, 01:26 AM   #1023
XR8T3D
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thommo2007
Currently working for BHP Billiton Iron Ore at Yandi in the Pilbarra 2/1 FIFO
Been there about a year doing sample process tech
Pretty awesome facilities

Anyone else up here ?
In the Pilbara but not at Yandi. Working on BHPBIO sites from Port Hedland, Port Nelson, Finnacun Island to Newman.

2004 Pontiac GTO
XR8T3D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2012, 01:48 AM   #1024
meatbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by piggsy
love the companies that say you need experience................how the **** do you get experience if they dont give you a start .
Most companies hire a huge amount of green workers every year. The difference is they hire them working the very bottom of the ladder jobs and the decent higher paying jobs are earnt from there.

Half the battle is getting people into the mining mentality. Yes you do have to fill out that ton of paperwork, yes it will be checked, yes you do have to complete a JHA and yes it needs to be taken seriously and filled out correctly. Yes you need to tuck your shirt in, Yes you do need to tie your shoelaces up to the top notch, Yes you do have to put your helmet on to walk to the dunnies.

I'm not going to give one of my higher paid positions to someone completly green to the industry unless they are very special. I need them in a bottom rung role so I can keep a very close eye on them and prove they are worth spending the big bucks on them.

I have personally watched dozens of friends get the high paid jobs in mining without any training or qualifications. All of them did whatever it took to get a foot in the door. Worked hard and followed orders. Then come performance review time let their supervisor know they wanted a job on the trucks or operating the rigs etc.

I've also got a few friends who have tried to walk straight into the bigger paid jobs with full qualifications. None of them have suceeded.
meatbag is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2012, 07:30 PM   #1025
B&D Racing
Banned

Hi, Inspire Engineering currently require Boilermakers/Fitters/Riggers and Trade Assistant for the following mines: (Site Inductions required)

§ Curragh 16th and 17th day shift

§ Foxleigh 16-20th day shift

§ Gregory Crinium 22nd-30

§ Sonoma 15th 1 day shift

Key requirements

§ Generic/BMA induction required

§ Coal Board Medical

§ Relevant Site Inductions

§ Trade papers

If you are interested in the shutdown please attach a copy of your resume to this email

AT THIS STAGE WE CANNOT ACCEPT APPLICATIONS FROM CANDIDATES WITHOUT THE GENERIC COAL INDUCTION CARD

We also have work within the next few weeks at various other mine sites. So if you are finishing a job and will be available please feel free to send in your application

IF YOU REQUIRE INFORMATION REGARDING THE GENERIC COAL INDUCTION – PLEASE SEARCH THE INTERNET FOR COAL SURFACE GENERIC CORE INDUCTION

This might be you or someone else you know in the industry so please pass out our number 02 8222 3090 or our email labourhire@inspirerecruit.com.au so that we can provide any extra information that you need.

Inspire Engineering Pty Ltd – We look forward to working with you

www.inspirerecruit.com.au

Kind regards

Inspire Engineering - Trades and Labour

Inspire Engineering www.inspirerecruit.com.au

Level 4, 10 Spring Street, Sydney NSW 2000

Phone: 02 8222 3090

Fax: 02 8222 3091

E-mail: labourhire@inspirerecruit.com.au
B&D Racing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2012, 01:02 AM   #1026
XDV800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj777
PM sent..

Come to Goldings Jason, $180000 and 10/1 10/7 roster mate.

Same as 3/1 at Yorks only working all sundays mate!
Oh boy, I so shoulda gone over, had Renee chasin me for a bit, but was to drive dump trucks only. Not my cuppa. But York chased me up a week after the layoff and said i'd get start on caval... not far away now
Had a holiday in the meantime. Catch ya back at Yawnia after Tuesday, they're making me do a cameo appearance for some reason...
XDV800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2012, 07:13 PM   #1027
B&D Racing
Banned

Was great to catch up yesterday Jason

Here are some more links for those still interested.

http://www.theresourcechannel.com.au/job-board

http://www.theresourcechannel.com.au/blog-browse

http://www.theresourcechannel.com.au...mployee-survey

Good luck.
Old 15-05-2012, 08:59 PM   #1028
Addz08
"FEED IT"

well guys, I finally got a start with a mining construction mob, I start in a couple of weeks, FIFO Brisbane to Caval Ridge, Moranbah...
Old 16-05-2012, 10:18 PM   #1029
hulkfocus

any you guys work in security in the mines? im interested in getting into security in the mines currently been doing it here in adelaide for 4 years and want a change and a better salary
hulkfocus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2012, 09:35 AM   #1030
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addz08
well guys, I finally got a start with a mining construction mob, I start in a couple of weeks, FIFO Brisbane to Caval Ridge, Moranbah...
its our extension of peak downs ( still separate mine though ) what bit are ya starting first , or you not sure ...just being a sticky beak ..need the latest goss
Old 18-05-2012, 09:46 AM   #1031
2fry

i have been doin a tailing dam on a newcrest site in wa for a bit over a year now. its not all happy days out there. and the money well i have mates doin civil work erning more then me so if you are after the money you might want to look at civil companys .atm im looking for a new job and even with my experance im finding haed to find another job i have been on 777 dumpy and water carts and 1200 diggers but still i havent herd back from anyone that i have sent my resume to .its not what you no but who you no

just anbother 500hp fg

powered by gtx
2fry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2012, 04:27 PM   #1032
davez104
Landau = GT with the lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman_75
its our extension of peak downs ( still separate mine though ) what bit are ya starting first , or you not sure ...just being a sticky beak ..need the latest goss
Probably the union proof fence
davez104 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2012, 08:55 PM   #1033
leadfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkfocus
any you guys work in security in the mines? im interested in getting into security in the mines currently been doing it here in adelaide for 4 years and want a change and a better salary
Give some of the facilities management companies a ring as most of them will also do security for the mines..You can try Compass (Omega security), ISS, Sodexo etc.I couldn't tell you what they are paying, but it does appear to be a cruisy job
Old 18-05-2012, 10:48 PM   #1034
[THOMMO]

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR8T3D
In the Pilbara but not at Yandi. Working on BHPBIO sites from Port Hedland, Port Nelson, Finnacun Island to Newman.

pretty much everywhere but this bhp and area c Haha
Old 19-05-2012, 08:42 PM   #1035
XR8T3D
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thommo2007
pretty much everywhere but this bhp and area c Haha
Haha yeah pretty much. Large group of our guys were at Yandi for a week before coming back to Finacun for the remainder of the shut.

I've got word BHP may need another safety inspector in the coming months. Told me he's considering jumping ship to join the FIFO world.

2004 Pontiac GTO
XR8T3D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2012, 07:12 PM   #1036
go_ford

Hey guys. Just wanted to know if anybody knows the best company to talk to about getting a job as a plumber and carpenter anywhere u can recommend??
Thankyou.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:37 PM   #1037
stalker
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

as crazy as it sounds how would i got jumping in the ute and going to a decent mining district and knocking on the door till i get a job?
got a HC licence/ white card/ fork ticket. are there any other decent courses i should look at to help entry even at a base level?
XF ute 4.0ltr injected out of an ed with girl cam and 5speed, and an xd front end for good measure
stalker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2012, 08:05 PM   #1038
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalker
as crazy as it sounds how would i got jumping in the ute and going to a decent mining district and knocking on the door till i get a job?
got a HC licence/ white card/ fork ticket. are there any other decent courses i should look at to help entry even at a base level?

this is something i thought about too, but then i figured securty and health n safety rules probably mean you cant get to see anyone anyway.

ive always gotten myself better jobs door knocking than any other way.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2012, 08:10 PM   #1039
stalker
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i was gonna take the swag and the dog so ill be safe :p

very tempted to move everything i own to a 'safehouse' (reads mums place) and have a few bob in my pocket and see where i end up. my security licence runs out soon and not really looking at renewing it again..
XF ute 4.0ltr injected out of an ed with girl cam and 5speed, and an xd front end for good measure
Old 01-06-2012, 08:11 PM   #1040
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot
Give some of the facilities management companies a ring as most of them will also do security for the mines..You can try Compass (Omega security), ISS, Sodexo etc.I couldn't tell you what they are paying, but it does appear to be a cruisy job

looking for a start in security , i have some experience as a maniquein with david jones , does that count ?? ohh wait """ i was born here , i'm probably not qualified .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2012, 08:19 PM   #1041
cutta81

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_ford
Hey guys. Just wanted to know if anybody knows the best company to talk to about getting a job as a plumber and carpenter anywhere u can recommend??
Thankyou.
You could try places like John Holland and ISS, they seem to do a fair bit of support services work in the central queensland mines (didn't look to see where you're from). Also just try builders in the same areas as the mining regions such as mackay/ rockhampton, i know of plumbers that live on the sunny coast and just fly up doing 4 on 3 off. I imagine it would be the same in the west.
cutta81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2012, 08:20 PM   #1042
stalker
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
looking for a start in security , i have some experience as a maniquein with david jones , does that count ?? ohh wait """ i was born here , i'm probably not qualified .

i know your having a joke, but ive worked security since 18, and yes there are some really dodgy imports getting into the game of late (can blame the gov for that they think its a great idea for anyone with out a job to do a security course) but for the most part ive worked with top people imports or not and make sure we have each others backs. some of the better guards ive worked with have been from overseas.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:26 PM   #1043
cutta81

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalker
i was gonna take the swag and the dog so ill be safe :p

very tempted to move everything i own to a 'safehouse' (reads mums place) and have a few bob in my pocket and see where i end up. my security licence runs out soon and not really looking at renewing it again..
That security licence could be pretty helpful to you mate. Since 9/11 site security has stepped up a lot. Contractors doing gate house security is big business these days.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:28 PM   #1044
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutta81
You could try places like John Holland and ISS, they seem to do a fair bit of support services work in the central queensland mines (didn't look to see where you're from). Also just try builders in the same areas as the mining regions such as mackay/ rockhampton, i know of plumbers that live on the sunny coast and just fly up doing 4 on 3 off. I imagine it would be the same in the west.
4 weeks on, 3weeks off or 4 days on 3 days off

@ go-ford: I work as a plumber in the mining industry. I have worked for both John Holland and United Group Rescources over the last 6 years. Give them a try but you will most likely need to be based in Central QLD to get a start. Ring and find out though. Also worth trying companies like ESS and Sodexo. They run the minesite camps and have tradies for maintenance.
XR6TCraig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2012, 08:58 AM   #1045
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Any one watch Four Corners on monday night re the mining boom in Mooranbah ?
Old 02-06-2012, 10:37 AM   #1046
cutta81

4 days on 3 days off. Long weekend every week. They were just young blokes into their surfing and were doin it for the lifestyle, they weren't necessarily makin a great deal of money out of it. Thats the thing with a lot of the stories goin around, some people like to talk it up as though they're living like kings (and have all the toys) but something happens like a downturn or strikes like we have had here for a while now and they're the first ones crying broke without two cents to rub together!
Old 02-06-2012, 12:35 PM   #1047
go_ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craiginmackay
4 weeks on, 3weeks off or 4 days on 3 days off

@ go-ford: I work as a plumber in the mining industry. I have worked for both John Holland and United Group Rescources over the last 6 years. Give them a try but you will most likely need to be based in Central QLD to get a start. Ring and find out though. Also worth trying companies like ESS and Sodexo. They run the minesite camps and have tradies for maintenance.
oh ok thanks, yeah I would mind a job in the mine site camps.. probably the sort of job I would lean towards..
Old 02-06-2012, 03:14 PM   #1048
XRDeeze
UTRIED

But is it all worth it?

Townsville Drag 1/10/11 PB: 15.34 @ 91.09 mph
XRDeeze is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2012, 05:44 PM   #1049
B&D Racing
Banned

Yes if you use your head definately.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:48 AM   #1050
Ruination

I wouldn't mind getting into the mining industry at some stage. About to earn my trade papers in Carpentry and Joinery, currently just doing Roofing here in Perth, mainly for Dale Alcock Homes and a few project builders.

Might give self employment a go first, apparently a housing boom is expected towards the end of the year and could be a decent start for me if I can get myself sorted in time.