Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-02-2007, 01:46 PM   #61
Xitdxr
1.8 Turbo baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA2BA
Assuming this is aimed at me, I would have taken you to the hospital assuming you could make it to the car, yes in the middle of no-where I would not hesitate much, but as to then speeding like a bat out of hell to get you to the hospital well thats a hard call.

I dont think doing 140 is speeding like a bat out of hell. I think if he was doing that he would of been closer to the 200 mark imo.
Xitdxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 01:47 PM   #62
EA2BA
PM me if you want

A guy driving an unregistered car with no license who was driving his g/f to hospital who was about to have a baby was pulled over, made to wait for an ambulance to take the g/f to hospital, and he was then arrested.

So is that fair also ?, or should he have been let off, he could have called an ambulance.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 01:50 PM   #63
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Actually, I have been less tolerant of people speeding, tailgating and talking on mobile phones since I have been MARRIED and my wife is learning to drive and pregnant. She will have to get an ambulance to hospital If I get sent to jail in the next two months.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 01:51 PM   #64
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
Hahaha... yes, disgusting/pathetic subesction of society that we are....

in the context that i made those comments, it looked a lot better. i was merely suggesting that when emotions are high caused by shock or whatever some decisions we make are not the smartest at the time.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 02:01 PM   #65
Xitdxr
1.8 Turbo baby

Quote:
A guy driving an unregistered car with no license who was driving his g/f to hospital who was about to have a baby was pulled over, made to wait for an ambulance to take the g/f to hospital, and he was then arrested.

So is that fair also ?, or should he have been let off, he could have called an ambulance.
Thats a fair few illegal things, not just one. There is a difference. Im not saying this guy should get away scott free, your responsible for the situations u put yourself into. But most people will happily put there license on the line if it meant they could see a loved one one last time. We dont know the circumstances of the person who was in hospital, she may have been really sick, she may not have. The point is, it was serious enough to warrant getting there fast! Now the twist is, he is a taxi for his family and needs a car to get too work, so i believe that he should just be fined about $400 and sent on his way. The suspense and the fine will be enough for him to learn a lesson.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:03 PM   #66
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
in the context that i made those comments, it looked a lot better. i was merely suggesting that when emotions are high caused by shock or whatever some decisions we make are not the smartest at the time.
No need for the explanation... i meant nothing by it

But on that note, just because i dont have a spouse... doesnt mean i am immune to the emotions being discussed here. i am subject to being affected by family (i'd try and outrun the army if it meant getting my old dear to a hospital) and friends.

That being said... the law itself is indifferent to emotion. i.e. exceeding the speed limit is exceeding the speed limit. But as per Flappist's comments, excercise of judgement in terms of compassion by police officers is a great thing.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:07 PM   #67
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xitdxr
The point is, it was serious enough to warrant getting there fast! Now the twist is, he is a taxi for his family and needs a car to get too work, so i believe that he should just be fined about $400 and sent on his way. The suspense and the fine will be enough for him to learn a lesson.
Well thats an opinion, you would hope they learn a lesson, but has been said by numerous people in this thread, they would risk there license in the situation without hesitation, so I highly doubt a lesson will be learned as such.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 02:07 PM   #68
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xitdxr
We dont know the circumstances of the person who was in hospital, she may have been really sick, she may not have. The point is, it was serious enough to warrant getting there fast!
That's not the point, it's the question.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 02:22 PM   #69
Xitdxr
1.8 Turbo baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
That's not the point, it's the question.
nah mate its definatley the point, he wouldnt of been speeding otherwise!
Old 07-02-2007, 02:41 PM   #70
Scott

Obviously he thought it was important enough, the "question" will be if the copper agrees.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:25 PM   #71
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos
Aeron - I kinda know how you feel. I was cruising at 100 on a highway a coupla wks ago and all of a sudden, from the other side of the road, a sideways hilux is coming head on straight for me in my lane. I managed to break and swerve to the right, narrowly missing it and another oncoming car. Turns out he had just pulled out from a side street and was rear ended by a speeding p plater who was changing a CD, eyes off the road. Fortunately there were no dead bodies for me to see, but I was only a split second away from being killed myself, the hilux driver also.

After being involved in something like this, speeding to me seems plain stupid in most cases. HOWEVER, if there are absoulutely no cars in sight, or trees, and a good road surface, I would forgive someone doing 140kmh, but not much more.
Hilux driver - "fail to keep a proper lookout, etc'.
P plater - "Neg drive, etc'.
One persons actions in particular was the initialising factor.

Anyhow - you last paragraph has me intrigued.

I once drove the NSW Hume *for a length of the road* at 180km/h, typically 80 - 140km/h otherwise.

Now, you tell me *how* at that POINT - was this dangerous and 'plain stupid' as you put it, and if it was illegal etc.

Time date: June 1978.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 03:43 PM   #72
Grasshoppr
GTI ist ehrfürchtig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
Hilux driver - "fail to keep a proper lookout, etc'.
P plater - "Neg drive, etc'.
One persons actions in particular was the initialising factor.
That was my first thought, why did the Hilux person pull out in front of oncoming traffic???

Rarely is there ever one reason for accidents.

Back on the thread, I think its easy for some keyboard experts to tell us how it should be on their soapbox's but when you are faced with the situation (Actually walking a mile in someone else shoes for once) you would do the same. I just hope that the girlfriend was actually quite ill.

I am not talking about being stupid on the roads but doing 140 in a 100klm zone is illegal but not crazy. Whether people admit it or not, it is safer to travel faster on these open, restricted (to pedestrians) roads than doing 40klms over the speed limit in a residential area.

The cop will be trying to (rightfully so) make him think twice about doing this day in day out.

Our Events cater for all types of people.
Grasshoppr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 03:52 PM   #73
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
BLKPhoon - That was my first thought, why did the Hilux person pull out in front of oncoming traffic???
Prezactly!

What matters to me in this thread is/was the (P plater) blokes MANNER of driving.

You can see two people "at speed", say on the open road.

ONE will be neat and tidy, indicates fully lane-changes and whatnot.

THE OTHER will be untidy, will display abrupt lane changes little or no indicator use, will sit too close etc.

ONE OF THEM will be inherently more dangerous than the other.

EACH DRIVER under our "speed limit enforcement system" is equal of ability and attitude.

DERESTRICTION, removes that reference leaving each driver open to scrutiny by police, thereby meaning the bad one will COME UNDER NOTICE for simply STANDING OUT - from the crowd/other traffic.

What we have now is a system where people can drive 'badly' BUT under, or at the speed limit.

When the bad one and 'good one' then exceed the limit, the 'bad one' is particularly dangerous.

A good and safe driver will back off letting the bad driver continue on his way.

Good = trained and experienced.
Bad = licensed and inexperienced, or little of each.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf

Last edited by Keepleft; 07-02-2007 at 04:23 PM.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:56 PM   #74
Grasshoppr
GTI ist ehrfürchtig

Quote:

All of your post was so true... why cant those further up the ladder understand this

Our Events cater for all types of people.
Grasshoppr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 04:07 PM   #75
Xitdxr
1.8 Turbo baby

Quote:
Prezactly!

What matters to me in this thread is/was the (P plater) blokes MANNER of driving.

You can see see two people "at speed", say on the open road.

ONE will be neat and tidy, indicates fully lane-changes and whatnot.

THE OTHER will be untidy, will display abrupt lane changes little or no indicator use, will sit too close etc.

ONE OF THEM will be inherently more dangerous than the other.

EACH DRIVER under our "speed limit enforcement system" is equal of ability and attitude.

DERESTRICTION, removes that reference leaving each driver open to scrutiny by police, thereby meaning the bad one will COME UNDER NOTICE for simply STANDING OUT - from the crowd/other traffic.

What we have now is a system where people can drive 'badly' BUT under the speed limit.

When the bad one and 'good one' then exceed the limit, the 'bad one' is particularly dangerous.

A good and safe driver will back off letting the bad driver continue on his way.

Sensational Post, i agree with u 100%!
Old 07-02-2007, 04:27 PM   #76
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

I have asked the NSW Roads Minister to again consider (//) for some of our rural remote network, the government is not against the idea (as shocking a thought that would be to our VIC/SA/and QLD based academics), to that extent, I am keeping an very close eye on NSW's updating of its speed zoning guidelines these next few months.

The sign will only be used by RTA (not Councils) should that time arrive.

If government and its agencies want people to drive with responsibility, then it must give us the practical requirment and bait - to do so.

Keeping people at 90 - 110km/h on good remote highways does not instill much care or proper, decent attitude.

You *force* good attitude and behaviour by removing that which currently dumbs us down and bores all into fatigue and to 'not giving a stuff generally', - by adopting responsible (//) - application, - applied per length of road, where the person has no choice - but to do the right thing.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:51 PM   #77
Scott

Keepleft, how remote are you suggesting for NSW?
Old 07-02-2007, 06:13 PM   #78
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
Keepleft, how remote are you suggesting for NSW?
Well from a Sydney point of view remote western areas are Penrith, Paramatta and Liverpool..........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 06:19 PM   #79
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

I hope it happens,maybe I can shorten some of my trips,be good to take half an hour hour driving time out of the trip to my farm,but I dont see this happening inside of Dubbo..
If it does get up I can see myself driving the beast to cobar...
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 07:57 PM   #80
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Time saved over a year period is not the key reason why a state would derestrict certain roads, the hidden or key reason is that it 'seperates' traffic by reducing the bunching-up effect you get with a speed limit.

ATM the sign is in our speed zoning guidelines and recognised per AS1742.4. The update will likely update its future application slightly.

Some western Broken Hill police advocate it and have done so over the years in talk and correspondence with eastern counterparts who remain 'horrified':-) at the idea.

RTA suggest in conversation, West of Dubbo on CERTAIN highways as opposed to an old NT like geographical application.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:30 PM   #81
Wicked Pursuit
WIK13D

Default dangerous driving

in my 6 years of driving i have owned nothing but powerful cars a brock commodore vk. a nissan silvia with a toyo 2jz in it and 2 xr8 utes. as a result of of this (and me being a ********) i have lost my lience 3 times. here is my list of fines 15kph over, 45over, neg driving 2 times agrovated burnout not keep left of dividing lane and my personal fav cause excesive noise got fined today for it as for mates 40 and over i'm quite experianced in this matter my burn out fine was given to me a month after doing it the copper wasn't on duty saw me and took my details and caught up with me. To be fair id say i deserved all my fines but the system is wrong 3 times i lost my lience and didnt learn a lesson just kept on being stupid. The rules arnt strickt enuf if i had to go back on my Ls the first time i got booked and redo my 50 hrs i would have never been so stupid. a bit off track but just what i think. as for the fine i got today it was plane bad luck the cops were just doing there job could have givin me a defect but would have been cheaper
Wicked Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 08:39 PM   #82
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Time saved over a year period is not the key reason why a state would derestrict certain roads, the hidden or key reason is that it 'seperates' traffic by reducing the bunching-up effect you get with a speed limit.

ATM the sign is in our speed zoning guidelines and recognised per AS1742.4. The update will likely update its future application slightly.

Some western Broken Hill police advocate it and have done so over the years in talk and correspondence with eastern counterparts who remain 'horrified':-) at the idea.

RTA suggest in conversation, West of Dubbo on CERTAIN highways as opposed to an old NT like geographical application.
North-west of Dubbo would be a good candidate to Nyngan-Bourke-Cobar etc,very straight/flat boring roads,only problem is animal strike in the dark hours,especially during good rainfall years,it can be like dodgem cars sometimes...
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 09:11 PM   #83
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
One of the things that is sorely lacking in modern society is the ability to make judgements based on common sense. Too many are afraid to break the rules that are set for general situations. Even more are too worried about legal problems at a later date than solving the problem facing them at the time.
i agree to a point but...
The problem with this is, you may see something as an emergency but the copper may not, its all a matter of opinion, if someone was taking their missus to hospital at 140km/h, because they wouldnt call an ambulance is stupid and they have an excuse, in their mind it may be valid but in the minds of the people they passed/scared the sh!t out of, it would not be.
The problem is choice and their understanding of the decision that they make.
my 2c.
--------------ON TOPIC-----------------
Was this genuinely (sp?) a life or death situation? If he had have hit another car, would this be a valid excuse for what happened?
Throw the book at him.

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 09:18 PM   #84
BA_Turbs
Allan Smithee

Quote:
hmmmmmmmm, it all sounds very fishy, next i reckon your friend will be blackmailed for money from the cop, and will keep quiet for fear of losing his license at any time.

Just got a bad feeling about the whole thing.

I would accept the fine, argue in court, prove she was sick and plead to keep my license for work.
Is this a serious post?
BA_Turbs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 09:25 PM   #85
Miller
It's Millertime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
be good to take half an hour hour driving time out of the trip to my farm

That's it ay, takes about 6 hours to get from Kellyville out to Tullamore. That's sitting on an average of 100kmh (we usually go up there on long weekends, so double demerits aint worth the risk).

But yes, it would be nice to cut some time off the 6 hours, plus the extra two hours for when the 79 ltd breaks down :P
Miller is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 10:42 PM   #86
ROOSTA
DFDFDF

If your mates licence is so IMPORTANT cos he is the taxi then how did the family get around before he got his P's?? Also why didn't he respect his licence in the first place and do the right thing i mean no traffic at 4am is really no excuse..

I understand the situation he is in.. i got booked when i was on my P's.. 45+km $1600 fine and loss of licence for 6 months.. At the time i believed running late for my HSC exam was reason enough to speed and the fact i travelled that road 4 times a day, never any traffic or pedestrians.. Needless to say it would have been quicker going slower.. In my opinion it was one of the best things that happened to me in my driving history as it opened my eyes and showed me that a licence really is a PRIVILEGE not a RIGHT!!!

Best of luck to your mate but i think you will find he will lose his licence.. The police officer was probably just wanting to leave the paperwork and let your mate continue on his way so he could get to his GF asap..

Cheers,
Nik
ROOSTA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2007, 01:01 PM   #87
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Well from a Sydney point of view remote western areas are Penrith, Paramatta and Liverpool..........
Whoa! Lookout if any 'Westies' go Whale Watching this year
Old 15-02-2007, 09:21 AM   #88
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:

Damn ... so I am even more remotely west ... well .. North West.
One guy at work says I live halfway to Singleton along Putty Road ... not quite ... but not too far off I guess.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2007, 09:45 AM   #89
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ya forgot the CAMPBELLTOWN reservation.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post