Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 15-11-2006, 04:09 PM   #61
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
I just thought of something..... Can a "P" plate driver drive a 5.4 litre car in QLD.... I know that in the NT it is no problem.....
In Victoria, the power to weight regulations apply to P Platers, but not L Platers becuase technically the accompanying driver is in charge. I am not sure about other States.
Trevor 57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2006, 04:10 PM   #62
HLC
Audi S3

we didnt have our XR8 til i was on my P's but it was a good few months before my old man ever let me drive it.
Old 15-11-2006, 04:39 PM   #63
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Once again thanks guys. Here is what I have tentitavely (SP?) decided to do. I will drive from Alice to ISA, a easy one day trip, mostly de-restricted. We will over night in ISA. I will give her the right hand seat on the esatern out skirts of Isa. If all goes OK I will let her drive across the plains to Cloncurry. From memory it is quite open country through there which I hope will minimise the chances of something jumping out from behind a tree.

She has only ever driven manuals before so hopefully she should have any issues with the XR8, also being 6 speed manual. Once again thanks all, it has helped put my mind at ease..... for now.
Old 15-11-2006, 10:23 PM   #64
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I just thought of something..... Can a "P" plate driver drive a 5.4 litre car in QLD.... I know that in the NT it is no problem.....

She is on an NT license..yes she can drive in QLD.

Now lets get to the crux of the question..i.e. she is newly licensed 3weeks from memory...

Remember this she is a newby...she needs to have her confidence built...she needs to know three things from you..Faith,Trust and confidence...to this end remember, newby let her drive on good roads at an acceptable speed 100/110.

Do not put her in a risky situation..she has to learn her and the vehicles capabilities.

In other words what I am saying is ease her into the to real world of idiot drivers and make sure she learns the limits of her current ability.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2006, 10:37 PM   #65
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Give her a go on my L's i drove...

AUII XR8 Ute (Herrod Mod's Sideways Monster)
AUII XR8 Sedan
BA FPV Pursuit

Give her a chance, take her out for some drives in the car before the trip to get comfortable with the clutch, gearbox, steering, Etc

She'll be fine keep it to short stints to keep her focussed.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2006, 10:41 PM   #66
snortycorty

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljh74
I think it's better to teach people to drive in a lower powered manual car. An XR8 you can leave it in a gear and use the engine to get you going. A buzzbox you have to downshift - more gearshifting means more practice. If there isn't another car available, then use the XR8.
Dad always taught me to downshift gears, it was annoying going from the proper lessons where i was just taught to clutch and brake, whereas dad always told me to use the gears to help slow down. I prefer his way. In my first car i had to do it that way anyways. Most people know what cortina brakes are like lol
snortycorty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2006, 10:57 PM   #67
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

If someone has past their test, no matter what anyone thinks of the driver eductaion system, should be able to confidently drive. To say to someone, "You cant drive, even though you have your license," is a bit harsh. My son just got his license yesterday and even though it is painful, and beleive me it is, to see him drive off yesterday afternoon as exciting as all hell and coming back 5 hours later, you just have to show confidence towards them. He is out at the moment but I have already rang twice to see where what he is doing. Mind you if he had of naswered when he was driving I wouldve taken the keys away!!!!

Different story though if you dont want her to drive a 'particular' car! Gave the keys to my son on the Landau last week to show him how dangerous it can be (in a very open space) and he stept out shaking. I told him, "Thats why you are NEVER aloud to touch my car" :voldar02:

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2006, 11:05 PM   #68
Josh_XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Will she be legally allowed to drive it? woops NT didnt notice :
Bionic BF XR8 - 6 speed manual, reversing sensors, premium sound, GT starter button. 218rwkw - Got to love the BOSS!!
Josh_XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2006, 11:07 PM   #69
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Once again thanks guys. Here is what I have tentitavely (SP?) decided to do. I will drive from Alice to ISA, a easy one day trip, mostly de-restricted. We will over night in ISA. I will give her the right hand seat on the esatern out skirts of Isa. If all goes OK I will let her drive across the plains to Cloncurry. From memory it is quite open country through there which I hope will minimise the chances of something jumping out from behind a tree.

She has only ever driven manuals before so hopefully she should have any issues with the XR8, also being 6 speed manual. Once again thanks all, it has helped put my mind at ease..... for now.

If your leaving the Isa early i.e. before sunrise be very careful about half an hour out when going through the hills the sun suddenly comes straight through the windscreen and blinds you.

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 15-11-2006, 11:11 PM   #70
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also Dawn and Dusk are the worst time for Roo's etc
Perana is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2006, 11:11 PM   #71
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_XC
Will she be legally allowed to drive it? woops NT didnt notice :

Helps to read the thread first eh!!!!!

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 15-11-2006, 11:14 PM   #72
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Trev
Is that what I said, you hightlighte part of my quote go back and read the rest of the sentence. _2:
Well i did go back and read it, and appologise up front and sincere, i did not read your comments correctly and i won't make excuses, you went on to say, to teach them properly before hand and was in line with where i was going as well, and your comments were correct, contained good advice and are helpful to all, now if i just took the time to read them properly.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2006, 11:29 PM   #73
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

No make her walk!!! :

As much as i want to be able to say "trust her" , "give her a chance to get experience" etc...i just cannot.

If it is the first time she is driving your precious car, experience behind 'a' wheel will not be enough. Dont risk your life, her life (the rest of the family) and your car. I assume she only has had six months driving experience. If you do the same trip in a year, that year of general driving experience will be much more valuable.

Thats all my opinion based on my own experience. Im just about to be on my opens and i know that in the three years since getting my p's my driving has got exponentially better. I, of course, thought i was ready for everything back then.

Overconfidence is the curse of the teenager.

As for 'trust' issues etc, you are her dad. She will still love you and she will get over it. Say you are sorry for getting her hopes up, but there will be oppertunities in the future to drive your car. I wasnt allowed to drive either of my parent's cars, only recently have they started letting me, despite the fact i know have my own to drive. I used to get annoyed about it, but i respect it is their property and know i realise why they wouldnt, because 6 months is not much experience doing anything.
Would you want a doctor with 6 months experience as a 'qualified professional'?

FPV & XR Owners Club of Qld
Want more info on our club?
fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!
GCFordChic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2006, 11:54 PM   #74
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCFordChic
As much as i want to be able to say "trust her" , "give her a chance to get experience" etc...i just cannot.

If it is the first time she is driving your precious car, experience behind 'a' wheel will not be enough. Dont risk your life, her life (the rest of the family) and your car. I assume she only has had six months driving experience. If you do the same trip in a year, that year of general driving experience will be much more valuable.

Overconfidence is the curse of the teenager.
But how do you get them experience without letting them drive, especially when you have the chance to sit next to them? Doing 100k's per hour in a quality performance car is a bit safer than doing 100'ks in the ol' 'P' plate clapper with the mates in the back seat.

Agree 100% with the last statement, thats why its so important that with the oportunity of sitting next to them on a decent drive.

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2006, 12:01 AM   #75
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
But how do you get them experience without letting them drive, especially when you have the chance to sit next to them? Doing 100k's per hour in a quality performance car is a bit safer than doing 100'ks in the ol' 'P' plate clapper with the mates in the back seat.

She has her own car. She has 3 years of PROVISIONAL or PROBATIONARY driving, she is not classed as an 'open' driver. Three years is a good enough time to get experience in a familiar car on familiar roads. After more general experience, and close to her getting her opens, perhaps the same trip would be ok. These are unfamiliar roads in an unfamiliar car.

There are many other oppertunities to get experience, she need not do it on a trip her dad may be getting tired and less attentive and more stressed out. If OBJ is anything like my dad i would hate to drive is car for the first time while on a long journey. My dad is a bloody grumpy bugger while travelling, all he would do would 'be helpful' and be a terrible back-seat driver. Just what you dont need. (no offence intended Outbackjack! )

FPV & XR Owners Club of Qld
Want more info on our club?
fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!
GCFordChic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2006, 12:05 AM   #76
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the experience that I gained doing many long trips on my L's and early P's was invaluble. (I did probably 75-90k in the period of 3years from I got my L's)

My GF has had similar experience (not quite as much but she did do heaps of driving) and IMO she's one of the best drivers I've been a passenger with..
Perana is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2006, 12:23 AM   #77
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCFordChic
She has her own car. She has 3 years of PROVISIONAL or PROBATIONARY driving, she is not classed as an 'open' driver. Three years is a good enough time to get experience in a familiar car on familiar roads. After more general experience, and close to her getting her opens, perhaps the same trip would be ok. These are unfamiliar roads in an unfamiliar car.

There are many other oppertunities to get experience, she need not do it on a trip her dad may be getting tired and less attentive and more stressed out. If OBJ is anything like my dad i would hate to drive is car for the first time while on a long journey. My dad is a bloody grumpy bugger while travelling, all he would do would 'be helpful' and be a terrible back-seat driver. Just what you dont need. (no offence intended Outbackjack! )
Hi Ya, I got the egg off the car!!! I am the opposite when travelling. I mellow out and become more relaxed than at most other times. The kids love traveling with the grumpy old b4stard. I will take her around a few quiet back roads and let her get a feel for the car, nothing over 60 kph. She has already done a few trips in my wifes fiesta, she drove half way to Ayres rock, so she is accustomed to country roads. We wont leave Isa until after 8 am or so. The sun and wild life shouldn't be too much of an issue.
I'm definately talking myself into this aren't I.

I reckon she will be OK. I will let everyone know how it all goes. If you never hear from me after Chrissy, I will probably be in the news paper.... :hihi:
Old 16-11-2006, 01:53 AM   #78
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

Have you thought about putting her in an advanced driving course from the RAA/NRMA/whatever it's called in the NT? They teach country driving skills, in someone elses Falcon/Commodore etc, and (no offence) they know what they're talking about. These aren't the same as the 'thrash it around a track' style courses, when I did mine, we went on various dirt roads, dropping the wheels off a highway @ 110, overtaking, swerve & recover moves, hills driving, night driving etc.

Reading a lot of posts in this thread, it shows how many people listened to their driving instructors, and asked questions about why they should do something a certain way, and how many forgot everything their instructor taught because their parents taught them 'the right way'.

For the record, I drove a T1 TS50 on my L's, on a highway, and didn't write it off. ;)

1984 XE S-Pack 250 Sno White - LPG - Single Rail - 2.5" Exhaust

"Just because you don't understand something, does not make it wrong"

Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2006, 02:03 AM   #79
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
I was thinking camoweal to Isa. The road through there is all fairly new. Mostly straight with some gentle bends and hills for variation..... She drives well but thus far has only driven our fiesta or her vitara. Traffice should be reasonably light as well. And I think that P platers are limited to 100 in QLD?? Its 110 in NT. That suits me. Maybe it would be good experience in a controlled situation. Maybe.
For your second last sentence, I would say let her. You can't beat experience, and as you say it will be in controlled conditions. At that speed she is basically only going to be steering the thing anyway, so the fact it has 260kw makes no difference. Of course handling/braking maybe an issue, but as long as you keep your eyes open as well, you can make sure there's no need for her to have to turn and/or brake suddenly (under normal conditions).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2006, 09:48 PM   #80
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I may have missed this... but is this a learners permit or P's equivelant? I'd assume L's cos she's 16... but then you said P's are limited to 110, so yeah.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2006, 09:50 PM   #81
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

Say you got it stroked and blown,
I changed my mind, it has too much power now

Last edited by poolkeeper; 16-11-2006 at 09:51 PM. Reason: spellin
poolkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2006, 09:58 PM   #82
bob 351
MIGHTY MAGPIES 2010

Location: yarram se vic in the shed listening to pinkfloyd and rubbing panels

Quote:
Here is my quandry. In a very generous mood, thanks to Mr Boags, at my favourite chinese restaurant I told my 16 year daughter that when she gets her license (in 3 weeks) that I would let her drive my XR8 on our road trip to QLD in december. I said that she could drive once we got into QLD so as not to waist our (//) doing 100kph...... But now I am having second thoughts.... What should I do?? She wont let me forget about it..... :
no please dont let her . let alone a p plater behind the wheel of a v8 brute it's a recipe for disaster not knocking your daughters abilaty to drive a car and dont forget i think legaly she is not aloud my wife let my daughter drive my tickford xr6 result one broken blinker 240 dollars out of pocket think about itbye the way enjoy the roger waters concert if you go
bob 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2006, 10:19 PM   #83
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob 351
no please dont let her . let alone a p plater behind the wheel of a v8 brute it's a recipe for disaster not knocking your daughters abilaty to drive a car and dont forget i think legaly she is not aloud my wife let my daughter drive my tickford xr6 result one broken blinker 240 dollars out of pocket think about itbye the way enjoy the roger waters concert if you go
Tickets, flights, and accomodation all booked for rogers Brissy concert.
Old 16-11-2006, 10:25 PM   #84
V8R
Turning towards the dark

pfft, dont be so anal. you'll be in the car with her, let her have a drive....
V8R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2006, 10:50 PM   #85
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OBJ just noticed favourite chinese restaurant...it would'nt be the Hong Kong would it..if so say g'day to Nick and family.

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 16-11-2006, 11:00 PM   #86
XR8GRL