Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 11:23 AM   #61
Scott

[Police] heads need to roll for this. It's embarrassing and demonstrates a complete lack of education in our police. What it does show is that they never "really" took security seriously and likely just used it as a $160m advertising campaign. Shame, shame, shame.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:27 AM   #62
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadman
Yeah you're right, it'd be like a guy driving 200km/h in a 50km/h school zone without a radar, just to proove that the cops couldn't detect him.

So long as nothing goes wrong - all he did was break a law and proove how poor the cops are at enforcing the speed limit in all school zones accross the country.

Thats a stupid example - plus school zones are 40km/h. At 200kmh there is a almost certain danger to the public. What the chaser did was although serious, it was harmless. Its not like the Chaser were gonna start cutting up Dubya etc.

Think of this as a journo doing a story of being able to get on a plane with a box cutter in their carry on luggage - but on a larger scale.

Old 07-09-2007, 11:32 AM   #63
FORD3V
5.4L 3V V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
tools!

Same they weren't shot.

Are you serious??? or do you think talking like that makes you sound tough???
Old 07-09-2007, 11:40 AM   #64
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

It was great! I believe this was needed to prove that our gov. spends 100's of millions of OUR money on nothing
Old 07-09-2007, 11:41 AM   #65
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it was awesome. they proved the security was all talk and no action. it took someone getting out of a car DRESSED AS OSAMA BIN LADEN to attract their attention.

cut back the donut budget i say
Old 07-09-2007, 11:51 AM   #66
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The biggest problem is that it is an international event.

1) It has embarrassed us, Australia, in front of the rest of the world.
2) Other people have different senses of humour to us and may or may not find this funny at all.
3) In other parts of the world people HAVE BEEN killed for this sort of thing.

How funny do you guys think it will be if you are arrested in a foreign airport because you could not read the signs while looking for a dunny and then because "You are Australian and you have no regard for security" because the soldiers have all seen the chaser footage during training on "Australian urban terrorists and their "war on everything" jihad decared be Chaser, the leader.

This stunt is about as funny as breaking airside at Tulla or sneaking into Parlement House or Lucas Heights. Dangerous stuff
Old 07-09-2007, 11:52 AM   #67
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Having seen the "Security passes" they used it really shows how much of a blunder the first security gate made...

Old 07-09-2007, 11:54 AM   #68
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORD3V
Are you serious??? or do you think talking like that makes you sound tough???
What are you on?

APEC has masive security and we know when it comes to US they shoot first ask later, chasers know this. Yet they still did it.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
Old 07-09-2007, 11:56 AM   #69
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
This stunt is about as funny as breaking airside at Tulla or sneaking into Parlement House or Lucas Heights. Dangerous stuff
Agree with your post, it's humilliating. The stunt isn't funny, it's scary.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:58 AM   #70
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
Agree with your post, it's humilliating. The stunt isn't funny, it's scary.
Yep Humiliating for the millions spent on so-called security.. if they can get in without much effort, who knows what terrorist group could get in just as easily..

This story is interesting too.. http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/...783454020.html
Old 07-09-2007, 12:02 PM   #71
FORD3V
5.4L 3V V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
What are you on?

APEC has masive security and we know when it comes to US they shoot first ask later, chasers know this. Yet they still did it.

Yes mate I no all that.

But you said "shame they wernt shot" I was wondering whether you were serious?
Old 07-09-2007, 12:03 PM   #72
boss-290

I think they can learn from all this.

Just think, if that had really been a terrorist(s), there would have been big trouble. It is very sad to see where all the tax payers money is going, and where it has gone. Its just been wasted on incompetent security guards and police.

With all those tax payers dollars, it could have funded atequate training for the police instead of employing mass amounts of them in which most of them couldn't tell the end of a rifle.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:10 PM   #73
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perana XR8
Yep Humiliating for the millions spent on so-called security..
The money is much lower on my care scale. We have had our butt handed to us on an international stage. Throughout the world, Australian Security Consultants are revered as the either the best or close to the best on the planet. There are literally hundreds of Australians designing compounds and blast walls and electronic systems for the most hostile areas imaginable. We are world leaders in security and this incident makes a laughing stock of us all.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:11 PM   #74
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

I read another article in which an unnamed police officer basically said they aren't allowed to stop the motorcades and nothing is broadcast over the radio so how are they meant to stop them?

Well sonny it sounds like your superiors are morons and don't understand security...

Props to the chaser boys for revealing the true nature of our 'national security'.

Anyone who thinks that security problems shouldn't be uncovered is a fool and deserves any and everything that happens to them as a result of a terrorist action that happens as a result of lacklustre security. Do not defend governments who do not defend you.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:20 PM   #75
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter
I read another article in which an unnamed police officer basically said they aren't allowed to stop the motorcades and nothing is broadcast over the radio so how are they meant to stop them?

Well sonny it sounds like your superiors are morons and don't understand security...

Props to the chaser boys for revealing the true nature of our 'national security'.

Anyone who thinks that security problems shouldn't be uncovered is a fool and deserves any and everything that happens to them as a result of a terrorist action that happens as a result of lacklustre security. Do not defend governments who do not defend you.
So true. This is embarrassing to australian security considering the reputation we had for it.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 07-09-2007, 12:24 PM   #76
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

maybe our reputation wasn't justified after all...

until security is tested anyone can claim to be the best.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:30 PM   #77
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by puts99
I'm sure they do some good things at this meeting, and thats essentially all it is; a meeting. But why spend $160 Million of Australian taxpayers money on the sercurity alone? (I think thats what I heard on the tele). Surely that money could be better spent somewhere else.
Cos our a%%licking government are still trying to make us think there are terrorists...
Old 07-09-2007, 12:31 PM   #78
Tuddy200
Reaching for 200...

Now let's also watch the law let them free again because everyone will have a huge uproar because all they were doing was exposing security holes and shouldn't be charged.

It's like me walking past a store front and smashing the glass and saying, don't charge me, I was just showing how easy it is to break in.

They knew the risks they were taking for them, but did they ever stop to think of how this may effect other around them? We have people overseas serving in a security role, they have been put into an awful position amongst there team members and leaders. Self-Esteam and Morale of the security and police will have fallen even further only creating a worse sitiuation. Australia could lose future events that create jobs and money because our security was made mockey of.

People will say it exposes holes in our security, but it also shows Australia as a joke. You could test the security with out having to do publicly and stops all the crap that people are going to get from this who just want to live thier lives.

They took it too far this time AGAIN! There would have been enough humour in the above YouTube video for anyone without doing this stupid thing. I also hope they have traffic offences thrown at them for the motorcade.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:39 PM   #79
drcook
I Bleed Orange!

Just a question. my wife and i stayed at the inter-continental for our wedding night in april this year, can i assume correctly that the yanks have booked the entire building? at what cost?
Old 07-09-2007, 12:41 PM   #80
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.J.Tuddy
Now let's also watch the law let them free again because everyone will have a huge uproar because all they were doing was exposing security holes and shouldn't be charged.

It's like me walking past a store front and smashing the glass and saying, don't charge me, I was just showing how easy it is to break in.
No it is nothing like it. Its damn obvious to anyone (except maybe a select few members of parliament) that you could smash a window to break into a place. It doesn't take any sort of genius to work that out nor does it take any sort of effort to prove it. If the chaser boys never exposed the illusion of security for what it is then we would have NEVER HAVE KNOWN.

Quote:
They knew the risks they were taking for them, but did they ever stop to think of how this may effect other around them?
Yep they probably thought "This is a joke, and perhaps it will actually make us safer if we show how pathetic the security really is".

Quote:
We have people overseas serving in a security role, they have been put into an awful position amongst there team members and leaders. Self-Esteam and Morale of the security and police will have fallen even further only creating a worse sitiuation.
Errr I doubt it. In fact if anything it probably makes them angry that people back home aren't doing THEIR job while they sit in some s.hole being shot at.
Quote:
Australia could lose future events that create jobs and money because our security was made mockey of.
Oh so we should export lies? We should lie to other countries? How many things do you think we'd have lost if a bomb had gone off and killed or even injured a foreign leader? Yeah that'd go down so well...

Quote:
People will say it exposes holes in our security, but it also shows Australia as a joke.
Yes, yes we are.

Quote:
You could test the security with out having to do publicly and stops all the crap that people are going to get from this who just want to live thier lives.
How exactly? How would you do it? What do you think the cops and government would do if a covert security test was executed? They'd use it as a propaganda piece in the media and make the chaser boys out to be terrywrists.

Quote:
They took it too far this time AGAIN! There would have been enough humour in the above YouTube video for anyone without doing this stupid thing. I also hope they have traffic offences thrown at them for the motorcade.
Yep I'm sure the boys will enjoy the challenge. At least 4 of them have law degrees so at least they can attempt to defend themselves.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:44 PM   #81
Scott

Quote:
No it's not. That's vandalism.

Quote:
our security was made mockey of....
Yes it was.

Quote:
You could test the security with out having to do publicly and stops all the crap that people are going to get from this who just want to live thier lives.
Privately would have been nicer, even better again would be to have taken the project seriously in the first place so that when this sort of crap (or worse) happens, they could have demonstrated a functional approach.

BTW - which "people who just want to live their life" are you referring to?
Old 07-09-2007, 01:17 PM   #82
XR06T
13.96 @ 101.65

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcook
Just a question. my wife and i stayed at the inter-continental for our wedding night in april this year, can i assume correctly that the yanks have booked the entire building? at what cost?
i think that we are picking up that bill mate..
Old 07-09-2007, 01:31 PM   #83
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasi
Unlikely this will make it to air, as the recorded material was confiscated.
no, the cops handed the videos back to abc
Old 07-09-2007, 01:38 PM   #84
DDXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Props to them, In this ever changing world of politcal correctness, they are willing to test the boundaries even if they do go too far at times. Can't wait to see the footage.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:56 PM   #85
xe351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i think the rooms are like $4500 per night that bush is in. I loved the stunt they pulled, im still laughing about it

Twin Horns 8-9/74 and lower horn dated 7-8/74, GT hubcaps. GT aircleaner. Please pm me if you can help
Old 07-09-2007, 02:03 PM   #86
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
Thats a stupid example - plus school zones are 40km/h. At 200kmh there is a almost certain danger to the public. What the chaser did was although serious, it was harmless.
You're kidding yourself. Harmless? Right...

It wasn't a "harmless" stunt just because no one got hurt. There was a chance of someone being seriously hurt. Just because it didn't happen makes no difference.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:15 PM   #87
MikGan

Well just to put my hat in the ring I thought it was funny as all f__k and not that I think it'll make a difference but it has shown how money could have been better spent. And its a good conversation starter, made my day easier talking to tools at conferences!
Old 07-09-2007, 02:31 PM   #88
matsbfxr6

My 2 cents, good on the chaser!, thats all i have to say.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:32 PM   #89
MikGan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
It has been all over the news that the secret service have the right to shoot and kill ANYONE or ANYTHING that they deem a threat with no need for explanation...
See now I was going to try to leave it at my last post but I cant help it...hehe im bored.. seriously, a good quote from the abc forum

"The suggestion that because there is a security threat police have the immediate right to shoot first and ask questions later is abhorrent. I hoped I would never see the day when Australia degraded itself in such a way."
Old 07-09-2007, 02:46 PM   #90
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikGan
See now I was going to try to leave it at my last post but I cant help it...hehe im bored.. seriously, a good quote from the abc forum

"The suggestion that because there is a security threat police have the immediate right to shoot first and ask questions later is abhorrent. I hoped I would never see the day when Australia degraded itself in such a way."
I whole heartly agree.

If hosting foreign leaders means living like this, I don't want them here.