Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-07-2006, 03:42 AM   #61
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Didn't the BAII onwards come with full electric windoes as standard, and auto headlights?
Only front from BA, And auto lights were????? I dont think there standard on a TX Territory as i didn't see them when i hired one for Bathurst with my brother and nephew.
But my Brother BA Fairmont has Auto lights.
Old 23-07-2006, 08:19 AM   #62
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
As I stated I dont need anyone to fit my tyre for me when I carry a repair kit and a compressor...saving 40 odd kg of weight....thats using my brain I would think... :

If you dont want to do it then don't! jeesh!

Fair enough.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2006, 08:57 AM   #63
Falcon Freak
Banned

The three most important characteristics for the VE have not yet been released:

- kerb weights
- acceleration figures
- fuel consumption

I suspect at best that the VE fuel consumption is on par with the VZ but more likely worse. As the Alloytech engine was released only two years ago and is a brand new design, I don't believe Holden could make any significant improvements to the fuel consumption. The main question in my mind is whether the VE drivetrain improvements will offset the increased kerb weight.

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2006, 10:46 AM   #64
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rst2000
i'm pretty sure i read that aircond was now standard with the ve.
If you look at the glass's guide Air con on a base model commodore has ALWAYS been an optional extra.
Old 23-07-2006, 01:51 PM   #65
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickHolden
Only front from BA, And auto lights were????? I dont think there standard on a TX Territory as i didn't see them when i hired one for Bathurst with my brother and nephew.
But my Brother BA Fairmont has Auto lights.
Yep full power windows became standard on the XR6 BAII and not the XT, my bad.

Auto lights were where the car would automatically turn on the headlights on when required (dark, extreem cloudy day, etc).
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2006, 07:56 PM   #66
blackahcdx

who cares about the Omega with or with out air, with air its only within about $100 of the falcons base price, it gives them a good starting prcie, it will get people in, its all about marketing people!!!

Besides the Commodore V special edition will be laucnged, which at $34990 + on roads includes AIR, 17' Alloys, colour coding mirrors and door handels and spolier, compared to base Omega without air for $34490 from Sept tim the end of the year. Thats good value.

And in regard to more fuel economical models well Holden has a lot of new cars before the end of the new year including the new Camry Sized Epica,Epica with both a 2.0 straight 6 (which has better fuel economy than a Camry 4 Cylinder) and a 2.5 straight 6.
Shame ford doesn't have a car this size to compete, because if traditional large cars keep going the way they are, then the larget people will go to is economical medium cars and the ford cupboard is empty. Its a big jump from Focus to Falcon.

Any ideas, besides Modeo, what other car ford could bring in to combat this?
blackahcdx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2006, 08:01 PM   #67
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Yep full power windows became standard on the XR6 BAII and not the XT, my bad.

Auto lights were where the car would automatically turn on the headlights on when required (dark, extreem cloudy day, etc).
First time my brother drove in at night with it i said bro you left your lights on, And at first he thought that too It's a great idea i love it.
Old 23-07-2006, 08:08 PM   #68
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Yes, i understand, Hand built display cars are like Display homes....
The one you end up with never seems to be as good as the one on display...
Speaking of "Hand built display cars", has anyone else spotted the loose trim screw sitting in the cupholders in one of the press pack photos?
Old 23-07-2006, 08:59 PM   #69
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammaboy
Speaking of "Hand built display cars", has anyone else spotted the loose trim screw sitting in the cupholders in one of the press pack photos?
Hey what a great innovation! In the two Holdens we had I could never find anywhere to store the screws that dropped out from unknown places.

So where do you put the cups then?
Old 23-07-2006, 09:09 PM   #70
Gammaboy

I just noticed that theres a button to make the SS do skids!
Old 23-07-2006, 09:11 PM   #71
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammaboy
I just noticed that theres a button to make the SS do skids!
Whoa !! thats it, where do i lay my deposit. :
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2006, 09:33 PM   #72
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackahcdx
who cares about the Omega with or with out air, with air its only within about $100 of the falcons base price, it gives them a good starting prcie, it will get people in, its all about marketing people!!!

Besides the Commodore V special edition will be laucnged, which at $34990 + on roads includes AIR, 17' Alloys, colour coding mirrors and door handels and spolier, compared to base Omega without air for $34490 from Sept tim the end of the year. Thats good value.

And in regard to more fuel economical models well Holden has a lot of new cars before the end of the new year including the new Camry Sized Epica,Epica with both a 2.0 straight 6 (which has better fuel economy than a Camry 4 Cylinder) and a 2.5 straight 6.
Shame ford doesn't have a car this size to compete, because if traditional large cars keep going the way they are, then the larget people will go to is economical medium cars and the ford cupboard is empty. Its a big jump from Focus to Falcon.

Any ideas, besides Modeo, what other car ford could bring in to combat this?
Is the Epica another one of those crappy rebadged Daewoos. Called the Daewoo Magnus in other markets.

Fords only other option is the Mondeo, they sell them in NZ. Too close to Falcon size and with a poor reputation from the last model which was sold here, Ford will not bring it to Oz.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2006, 09:34 PM   #73
coolcanberra

It would be great if someone like NRMA offered the same deal as some Interstate truck firms that carry NO SPARES on the major highways. Think of the national savings in petrol.

They worked out weight, cost, likelihood, and other trucks - and it was a no brainer when petrol was 40% cheaper than it is now. As they have some 24H 'on call' tyre places setup, it is amazing it is not extended to the urban motorist.

Merlin, what is in your tyre repair kit? Is it a cord,and push through, or just a can of aerosol with some glue in it? If so what aerosol brand is OK, as none of them state their benefits, or alone, if they will do a 3inch nail hole.
coolcanberra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2006, 09:39 PM   #74
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcanberra
It would be great if someone like NRMA offered the same deal as some Interstate truck firms that carry NO SPARES on the major highways. Think of the national savings in petrol.

They worked out weight, cost, likelihood, and other trucks - and it was a no brainer when petrol was 40% cheaper than it is now. As they have some 24H 'on call' tyre places setup, it is amazing it is not extended to to urban motorist.
Maybe they havent done it because it doesnt make that much difference with cars, as perhaps it does with trucks....

What difference would 40kg make in a car? Thats the weight of a small child.. perhaps I will just leave one of my kids home every time I drive on the highway to save fuel...

:

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2006, 07:09 PM   #75
blackahcdx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Is the Epica another one of those crappy rebadged Daewoos. Called the Daewoo Magnus in other markets.

Fords only other option is the Mondeo, they sell them in NZ. Too close to Falcon size and with a poor reputation from the last model which was sold here, Ford will not bring it to Oz.

The Epica isn't a re-badged Daewoo. It was designed under the hand of Holden after GM took over. Sold in Europe as the Chevrolet Epica.

GMDAT cars are only sold in Korea as Daewoos, every other country calls them something else. However the new models are developed by GM, mostly Holden (since they are the mejority sharholder in GMDAT).

Got to drive it today and came away mightily impressed with the features for the money and it was quiet a goodd drive too
Old 24-07-2006, 09:14 PM   #76
professorsabre
NECO

You mean this car, the 06 epica

good luck to them they're going to need it with that

professorsabre is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2006, 09:51 PM   #77
blackahcdx

ummm..............NO

this is the current Epica

the one you show is the superseeded model, which sold as the Chevrolet Epica was simply a rebadged Daewoo Magnus. The New Epica was designed by GMDAT with the help of Holden and both Six cylinder engines were designed by Porsche

Epica will come in 2.0 Straight Six Manual in CDX Spec
2.5 Staight Six Auto in CDX
and 2.5 Straight Six Auto in CDXi spec

Prices start at $24990 up to $29990
Old 24-07-2006, 11:11 PM   #78
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Its a GM Daewoo, and manufactured in Korea by Daewoo, but you reckon its not a re-badged Daewoo. Hallucinogenics are bad for you.
Old 24-07-2006, 11:14 PM   #79
Gammaboy

Quote:
ummm..............NO

this is the current Epica

the one you show is the superseeded model, which sold as the Chevrolet Epica was simply a rebadged Daewoo Magnus. The New Epica was designed by GMDAT with the help of Holden and both Six cylinder engines were designed by Porsche

Epica will come in 2.0 Straight Six Manual in CDX Spec
2.5 Staight Six Auto in CDX
and 2.5 Straight Six Auto in CDXi spec

Prices start at $24990 up to $29990
/me waits to see a Daewoo lanos with a chev badge stuck on it.....
Old 25-07-2006, 08:17 AM   #80
blackahcdx

if the car was a "rebadged daewoo" all Holden simply would have doen is taken a daewoo vechile and put their badge on it.

But since Holden was there in the design process of this car (unlike the Barina and Viva) and the car was designed with their input its much more than that. Its a vechile designed by/with Holden and Built in the HOLDEN OWNED GMDAT Factory in Korea.

Oh, and in case u hadn't noticed, the only place that Daewoo is sold is Korea
Old 25-07-2006, 12:31 PM   #81
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
if the car was a "rebadged daewoo" all Holden simply would have doen is taken a daewoo vechile and put their badge on it.

But since Holden was there in the design process of this car (unlike the Barina and Viva) and the car was designed with their input its much more than that. Its a vechile designed by/with Holden and Built in the HOLDEN OWNED GMDAT Factory in Korea.

Oh, and in case u hadn't noticed, the only place that Daewoo is sold is Korea
Its still built by Daewoo, which makes it a Daewoo rebadged to be a Holden. You can put your PR spin on it anyway you want, but Korean crap will always be Korean crap no matter what badge goes on. Festiva was no different.
Old 25-07-2006, 01:06 PM   #82
Fordoldie

Quote:
Its still built by Daewoo, which makes it a Daewoo rebadged to be a Holden. You can put your PR spin on it anyway you want, but Korean crap will always be Korean crap no matter what badge goes on. Festiva was no different.
He who laugh last....... "korean crap" parts are fitted to our beloved XR6 so....
Also Korea has the fastest developing automotive industry
Fordoldie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2006, 01:13 PM   #83
apolloxbgt
cross breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordoldie
Ever heared of China???
Old 25-07-2006, 01:14 PM   #84
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordoldie
He who laugh last....... "korean crap" parts are fitted to our beloved XR6 so....
I'm not saying parts or quality are crap, they just don't have a clue on how to make the cars ride, handle and steer anywhere as good as cars from other countries. Always the same story, they are well priced and well equiped but the steering has no feel, the suspension is floaty and poor handling and the tyres are cheap and offer little grip. The new Sonata is a prime example. Everybody couldn't believe how well it was equipped for the price but once they drove it they understood why.

How long it will take them to catch up is anyones guess but like the Japanese i'm sure it will happen eventually.
Old 25-07-2006, 03:20 PM   #85
blackahcdx

Quote:
I'm not saying parts or quality are crap, they just don't have a clue on how to make the cars ride, handle and steer anywhere as good as cars from other countries. Always the same story, they are well priced and well equiped but the steering has no feel, the suspension is floaty and poor handling and the tyres are cheap and offer little grip. The new Sonata is a prime example. Everybody couldn't believe how well it was equipped for the price but once they drove it they understood why.

How long it will take them to catch up is anyones guess but like the Japanese i'm sure it will happen eventually.

Thats why Holden is in there designing the cars with them from scratch.
With Aussie know how there from the begining we are going to start seeing some great cars come from Korea. Cheap, tons of features and a great drive
Old 25-07-2006, 03:49 PM   #86
Fordoldie

Quote:
Thats why Holden is in there designing the cars with them from scratch.
With Aussie know how there from the begining we are going to start seeing some great cars come from Korea. Cheap, tons of features and a great drive
Hey cdx did you check out the Captiva? I hear it is pretty impressive too. Are they bringing it out with diesel? cheers
Fordoldie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2006, 06:04 PM   #87
blackahcdx

yeah i got to see the Captiva, was impressed with it to. the 3.2 seemed to have more grunt than you would think.
Looks very good in person

Both the Epica and Captiva will have diesel power in 2007
Old 25-07-2006, 09:09 PM   #88
professorsabre
NECO

Quote:
Give it up mate, just face facts "The Daewoo Tosca is a midsize car built by GM Daewoo in South Korea"

have a look
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daewoo_Tosca

and they are going to need all the luck they can get trying to flog this car off as well as all the other Korean cars they have rebadged.
professorsabre is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2006, 09:19 PM   #89
BluePrintBlue

I can imagine that the new holden commodore sales will decrease because of the amount of money it will cost to fuel up. Up in brisbane the average cost per litre is $1.3 about ... they calculate it to be over $100 or so just to fuel up ... im glad my XR6 only costs about $80.
BluePrintBlue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2006, 11:08 PM   #90
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Freak
The three most important characteristics for the VE have not yet been released:

- kerb weights
- acceleration figures
- fuel consumption

I suspect at best that the VE fuel consumption is on par with the VZ but more likely worse. As the Alloytech engine was released only two years ago and is a brand new design, I don't believe Holden could make any significant improvements to the fuel consumption. The main question in my mind is whether the VE drivetrain improvements will offset the increased kerb weight.

FF
- kerb weights have increased as suspected
- acceleration figures not yet known
- fuel consumption is the same or slightly worse than VZ.

If I was Holden I would be worried.

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post