Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-05-2006, 11:10 PM   #61
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
Four posts in this thread with no mention of the topic ?

Well i wouldn't be the one and only;) And this the Barina isn't a car you buy for safety it's a car you buy for being cheap.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:18 PM   #62
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Old 10-05-2006, 11:36 PM   #63
Jet-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
That is a very ugly crash test pic, not surprising really.
Did I miss something? I clicked that link and couldn't find any crash test pics :s
Jet-Star is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2006, 12:11 AM   #64
LethalLeigh
Get in the van!

I'm not surprised the Courier only received 2 stars. Most Japanese utes have pretty poor crash ratings. In fact, that picture seems to show more cabin deformation than the Barina sedan.
Old 11-05-2006, 12:52 AM   #65
XplodE
Smashed Gecko Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickHolden
At least this is an outgoing model that will be replace by years end, unlike the barina that is a new model to be around for many years to come....
XplodE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2006, 04:18 PM   #66
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplodE
At least this is an outgoing model that will be replace by years end, unlike the barina that is a new model to be around for many years to come....
And it doesn't go the pathetic route of replacing an older version that was much safer like the European Astra.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2006, 05:57 PM   #67
MeestaNob!
XR5T - Sea Grey.

The USA must use a 100 star scale to rate vehicle safety then, cause every other test says its a DOG.
MeestaNob! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2006, 09:29 PM   #68
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse06
Did I miss something? I clicked that link and couldn't find any crash test pics :s
The second link to EuroNCAP had the crash test pics, doesn't seem to work now though. link. Here is the pic - note how the roof & A pillar have given way completely - the steering wheel and dash are now closer to the seat increasing the chance/severity of head injury. That also means the bottom of the A pillar and footwell have collapsed which is very bad for the well-being of your feet and legs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aveo crash.jpg (6.6 KB, 34 views)
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2006, 03:18 PM   #69
blackahcdx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
And it doesn't go the pathetic route of replacing an older version that was much safer like the European Astra.

hmm, are u sating the the TS astra is safer than the AH astra?

thats baloney!

Ah gets a 4.5 stars with 4 air bags and 5 stars with 6 air bags

TS astra got 4 stars i think
blackahcdx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2006, 03:30 PM   #70
2kool4u

Location: I live in my own little world, but it's alright, the people know me here

if it was a ford no-one here would have a single word to say. you would all be making excuses for it.

and before anyone jumps on me, the barina is a piece of 5hit no doubt, just pointing out if it was a ford no-one would say a word
Old 12-05-2006, 04:48 PM   #71
Nappa
Impressive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kool4u
if it was a ford no-one here would have a single word to say. you would all be making excuses for it.

and before anyone jumps on me, the barina is a piece of 5hit no doubt, just pointing out if it was a ford no-one would say a word

i guess that’s because this is a ford orientated forum, but then again there are plenty of threads that start here that are criticizing ford.

We’ve all known that the new barina would be a shadow of it former self in all aspects from safety to build quality. The Ford courier did receive a very poor
Safety rating but the media response to this wasn’t nearly as large as that with the barina that is because the courier is aimed at a different market, that’s why things like air con and abs are usually options, tradies want a work horse and the tend to be after different features to the small car buyer.
With the expansion of the small car market the manufactures have recognized that more people are moving to small models but still want the same safety and reliability as there larger car, I think it was a very poor move of Holden to market the Daewoo under their badge, Now I know that you and I would know better then to buy a car that has such a poor safety rating, but I’m sure there are plenty of people who trust that, because it’s a Holden that it has a good standard of safety and are being mislead into buying a rather dangerous car. Sorry for the rant……
Nappa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2006, 06:10 PM   #72
blackahcdx

All Holden vehicles meet or exceed strict Australian and safety standards - including Holden Barina.
Barina is part of a family of vehicles that has sold around 800,000 units in 95 countries since 2002. It meets or exceeds the legislated safety requirements in every one of those 95 countries including Australia, parts of Europe and the US.
At Holden, we do not allow a single test on one vehicle to determine its crashworthiness or overall safety. Instead, we put vehicles through some of the most stringent crash testing in the world and often these tests far exceed legal requirements.
Our internal crash testing procedures, in many cases, are the benchmark for the entire automotive industry. Many safety features in the world's vehicles today are the result of the GM researchers and engineers.
The Barina is a safe vehicle as reflected by the excellent track record of crashworthiness of vehicles on roads around the world since the vehicle was launched four years ago. It has a comprehensive safety feature list with standard or optional features including driver and front passenger airbags, four channel ABS with electronic brake distribution and seat belt pretensioners.
blackahcdx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2006, 07:08 PM   #73
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smells of Holden bashing to me
(not that I have a problem with that!- grin)
Yep that Barina fairs badly and we are all quick to bag them, but about a month ago the new Courier was canned in SMH for the exact same thing. This forum didnt go crazy then.

Anyway, read up on the US Pinto, Ford arent exactly saints, pretty disgusting actually.
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2006, 11:15 PM   #74
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

The Barina is a cheap cheap car, It's no Opel Barina and never will be.
It passes the Australian standards, And until we left our min standards there will be nothing we can do about it.
But i don't think anyone that buys one is thinking 1 star 2 star 3 star, There thinking $1000-$4000 they can save over something else similar.
There are many cars on our roads that are death traps they are the ones we need to worry about more,
Until our and the rest of the worlds safety standards are raised we get stuck with cars that just pass.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:31 PM   #75
ClevlndStemer
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it is a pity the barina has fallen to this level, i had one many years ago, the old suzuki swift version and it was one of the best cars i had owned, it was able to cope with what I threw at it. Can't say the same for recent cars that I have driven.
ClevlndStemer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2006, 11:36 PM   #76
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kool4u

Now now now! HAAAAANG on a second. If Ford Decided to Axe the Fiesta and replace it with ooh, say, a dead old Kia model from 3 years ago, I think there WOULD be protest AND plenty of anger, disbeleif (why? whyyy??) and taking posts from the Ford crowd. I know this without a doubt. We know that we have a good safe well built car in the Fez. To replace it with a 3 year old Korean shoitbox would not sit lightly with any of us on the forums.

As for the courier argument. I think the point here is that the Old Euro Barina was a four star car. The fact that the cheap replacement is only two stars pinpoints holdens corner cutting for Sales. The courier has always been a Mazda, and not really a high volume, and popular model (like Barina), so maybe the reasons behind people not mentioning the "dancing with the stars" is becasue they probably dont care enough to know. Barina is getting more publicity, and rightfully so becasue it is a 3 year old Korean replacement that is less safe than its previous model all in the name of cost, and the media is having a frenzy on it.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2006, 11:41 PM   #77
TotalDriver
Dedicated to Safety....

I reckon that new Barina is not a bad looking car!

Got that Euro styling that everyone is going for.

Hate to be in one during a Head-On at 60kph though. But then again, probably say the same for a BA.

I'll stick to my daily driver - nice big F250 with a HUGE Bullbar!
Old 13-05-2006, 12:39 AM   #78
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackahcdx
All Holden vehicles meet or exceed strict Australian and safety standards - including Holden Barina.
Barina is part of a family of vehicles that has sold around 800,000 units in 95 countries since 2002. It meets or exceeds the legislated safety requirements in every one of those 95 countries including Australia, parts of Europe and the US.
At Holden, we do not allow a single test on one vehicle to determine its crashworthiness or overall safety. Instead, we put vehicles through some of the most stringent crash testing in the world and often these tests far exceed legal requirements.
Our internal crash testing procedures, in many cases, are the benchmark for the entire automotive industry. Many safety features in the world's vehicles today are the result of the GM researchers and engineers.
The Barina is a safe vehicle as reflected by the excellent track record of crashworthiness of vehicles on roads around the world since the vehicle was launched four years ago. It has a comprehensive safety feature list with standard or optional features including driver and front passenger airbags, four channel ABS with electronic brake distribution and seat belt pretensioners.
Yeah you're right. Pity the Daewoo is an absolute POS that scraped in by the skin of its balls to make the Australian standard. Oh wait, it's the same car.

Honestly dude, the chinese landcruiser rip off called the land wind has airbags, ebd and abs, yet has failed every crash test put to it. In actual fact, you are safer being hit by a car standing on the street than being in the landwind as the whole car explodes around you. Smacks of astra to me particularly when you see the crash test dummy's hand through the windscreen.

Quote: