Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 29-05-2015, 11:54 AM   #61
Ford17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: New Aurion Presara $50,490 !!!!

I don't think anybody is really going to argue against the Camry being well screwed together, or being able to function as they are intended to do.

But, by and large, people who are passionate about cars don't like Camry's.

They want something with an x-factor, and the Camry lacks that in spades.
2 users like this post:
Old 29-05-2015, 11:56 AM   #62
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

High 5s .....at least he posted the video. Can't see the problem here. Goes alright.
This user likes this post:
Old 29-05-2015, 11:59 AM   #63
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_I6T View Post
My point is they are a very serious contender at their price point and in my books at the top of the list in the family sedan category.
Mate had one when I had a MkV GTI (DSG). Marginally quicker, and the GTI was a 6.8sec car. The Aurion was no 5sec car... I had a Megane RS250 which was only just a 5sec car, and there was daylight between that and my GTI.
Old 29-05-2015, 12:28 PM   #64
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK30RB View Post
I've owned an EA(new), EF, EFII, AU(new), AUII(new), BA(new), FG XR6T(new), and now an FGX XR8(new)

I've also owned a 2007 Aurion Zr6, and a Current Model Aurion ATX (2013). Also have TTD V8 200 series Landcruiser.

I think i can make comments based on experience.

As for build quality, from my experience there has not been a falcon (out of the 8 i have owned) that is built better than either of the two Aurions or the Landcruiser.

Putting it simply - Toyota build quality and reliability puts Ford to shame, and that includes the FGX XR8.

Never experienced Gearbox milkshakes, rattles, trim falling off, mechanical problems in the Toyota's unlike the Falcons.

If i had to choose between a stock Falcon or the Aurion, there would have to be a special price on the Falcon. (i don't mind the design and look of the Aurion for a Daily driver).

Sure i also like something more exciting, hence the FGX Xr8, but in reality if you really want a "drivers" car then don't even bother looking at anything Australia produces.

I think there are a lot of people out there who just jump on the Toyota bashing bandwagon without really having the experience in one first hand to really comment.

No One pays $50k for a presara, Haggle and its under 45k driveaway.

Toyota are number 1 for a reason.
(no i don't work for toyota)
I have a camry v6 manual 99 model and had it from pretty new -19,000 on clock.

Over time, roof trim fell down- required total roof trim rebuild, trim in door panels are failing, rear suspension needed rebuild under 110,000, front suspension needed rebuild, engine mounts broke and needed replacement, the engine rocker etc gaskets leak and engines notorious for leaking oil ....

At present sounds like it has a super with fan slippage caused by oil, will deal with when replacing timing belts..

Oh yes- fun having to replace timing belts every 100,000 and handing over $$$$

Changing rear 3 spark plugs under manifold requires removal of manifold and more $$$

Toyota not a patch on Honda quality and reliability I got with my Honda Euro...

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
Old 29-05-2015, 12:34 PM   #65
DK30RB

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post

Over time, roof trim fell down- required total roof trim rebuild, trim in door panels are failing, rear suspension needed rebuild under 110,000, front suspension needed rebuild, engine mounts broke and needed replacement, the engine rocker etc gaskets leak and engines notorious for leaking oil ....

At present sounds like it has a super with fan slippage caused by oil, will deal with when replacing timing belts..

Oh yes- fun having to replace timing belts every 100,000 and handing over $$$$

Changing rear 3 spark plugs under manifold requires removal of manifold and more $$$

You are talking about a 16 year old car with how many KM's on it?

Show me an AU that isn't riddled with problems either.
2 users like this post:
Old 29-05-2015, 12:49 PM   #66
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You are talking about a 16 year old car with how many KM's on it?

Show me an AU that isn't riddled with problems either.
The roof trim problem I have never experienced on any other car- despite age. It was a fault with Camry- the motor upholstery guy said they stuffed up the glue-bonding- he had a great profitable business re-doing the roofs in camrys.

The rear suspension needed a rebuild prematurely, as did the front shocker replacements.

These aspects did not occur in the 16th year, but occurred prematurely, as did the engine mounts which went at about 200,000.

Simply put I am not impressed with Toyota quality in terms of the ancillary stuff, although I cannot fault the engine/gear box, which has been bullet proof aside from the oil leaks and costly ongoing maintenance required in terms of timing belts/spark plugs.

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
Old 29-05-2015, 12:58 PM   #67
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
thats a beauty. Comparing a 16 year old car that is about 6 shapes old and drawing conclusions about brand new models.

Try comparing a 16 year old kia or hyundai against a current model, they have come ahead in leaps and bounds in all areas from 16 years ago.
Old 29-05-2015, 01:11 PM   #68
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yea and the Hoodling is perfect on the AUs. My old AU Forte II had that problem. i wasnt arsed fixing so it was held up with thumb tacts. My AU series 2 XL utes hood linings starting to go at the moment. My Mates AU Fairmont Ghia's been dangling down for years at the rear and I am very sure many people on here with AUs have encounted that problem as well at some stage....

Last edited by flooded one; 29-05-2015 at 01:12 PM. Reason: missed a word
Old 29-05-2015, 01:23 PM   #69
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai

Simply put I am not impressed with Toyota quality in terms of the ancillary stuff, although I cannot fault the engine/gear box, which has been bullet proof aside from the oil leaks and costly ongoing maintenance required in terms of timing belts/spark plugs.
crap. timming belts for the 1MZ-FE are at 150,000 kms are remewed at. even if you've done it at 100,000km intervals its only been replaced once or twice. I have actually seen a SV20 Camry that has had its spark plugs changed 4 times in its life that had 250,000kms. I knew the cars history very well
Old 29-05-2015, 01:37 PM   #70
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Those Aurions are light and have a big engine. Power to weight ratio is 135kW per tonne. XR6 is 115 and XR6T is 156. Even Megane RS is 141 . So it is a Camry on steroids .
Old 29-05-2015, 01:50 PM   #71
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

Toyota could make a Aurion that runs into the 4's and the only way I'd still only buy one, would be if I was buying one for my grandfather. ;)

As much as it pains me to say this, they aren't as slow as you'd think (nor as fast as the owners think). Fit and finish is pretty good, but that's about as good as it gets. Handling is pretty ordinary for mine, but I'm sure that as most of them would spend their lives 15-20kph under any speed limit, you wouldn't notice the handling anyway.

That being said the older I get, the more attractive they are looking (which gives you an idea who is their target market).

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
3 users like this post:
Old 29-05-2015, 02:13 PM   #72
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_Axe View Post
Still the same steering wheel they've been using the past 10 years...
having a currently a couple of toyotas currently in the family and my beloved AU..............and a lexus, i actually like that toyota hangs on to gear that doesn`t fail , perhaps not the steering wheel, buts lets look at electric windows for example and the switches,

on toyotas i have noticed late models appear to use the same ones that i have in my 1990 lexus, and let me tell you they just dont give trouble .... unlike some other brands, even my young brothers 84 cressida windows still go up and down fast.

there is a reason people buy these so called white goods , in general they dont spend hardly any time at all in workshops getting stuff done that should not need too.

the other thing i like about toyota`s is the attention to detail, unless you actually own one you dont always see the finer points.

while my antique beat up LS400 which was about middle of the LS400 range it still has electric seat belt height adjusters , air bag suspension, a second lock and key on the inside of the car to keep people away from your valuables in the boot while the valay or mechanic has your car,
12 way electric drivers seat, passenger is electric too ... but not as flash, plus seat memory.
third sun visor above the rear vision mirror.
auto locking doors after 20 kph
standard first aid kit
standard basic tool kit .
the heater fan on at full throttle you can hardly hear it, and it works like a beauty.
tailshaft damper
hydraulic cooling fan.... you cant hear it
nitrogen charged brakes
steering damper
i could go on .
And this is just a basic version of the luxo model, and some of the quality tech on this old car is still craps on many high end cars on the road today.
there is a lot to like about the way they put cars together imo.
2 users like this post:
Old 29-05-2015, 02:28 PM   #73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I've owned an EA(new), EF, EFII, AU(new), AUII(new), BA(new), FG XR6T(new), and now an FGX XR8(new)

I've also owned a 2007 Aurion Zr6, and a Current Model Aurion ATX (2013). Also have TTD V8 200 series Landcruiser.

I think i can make comments based on experience.

An Aurion will hose a stock Falcon or commodore from 0 - 100 every time - without fail.

Drive is smooth and refined, and as far as comfort goes, its better than any falcon.

No, the Aurion doesn't handle as good as a falcon, but for 90% of most people's driving you are not pushing either car to its limits.

Aurion has better fuel economy hands down. The best i ever got in a Falcon on my freeway run to work was 9 litres per 100km.

My 2007 aurion would get low 7's (7.3 - 7.4) and the newer one with the same engine(apparently) was getting 6.3 (don't tell me they don't refine the engines).

As for build quality, from my experience there has not been a falcon (out of the 8 i have owned) that is built better than either of the two Aurions or the Landcruiser.

Putting it simply - Toyota build quality and reliability puts Ford to shame, and that includes the FGX XR8.

Never experienced Gearbox milkshakes, rattles, trim falling off, mechanical problems in the Toyota's unlike the Falcons.

If i had to choose between a stock Falcon or the Aurion, there would have to be a special price on the Falcon. (i don't mind the design and look of the Aurion for a Daily driver).

Sure i also like something more exciting, hence the FGX Xr8, but in reality if you really want a "drivers" car then don't even bother looking at anything Australia produces.

I think there are a lot of people out there who just jump on the Toyota bashing bandwagon without really having the experience in one first hand to really comment.

No One pays $50k for a presara, Haggle and its under 45k driveaway.

Toyota are number 1 for a reason.
(no i don't work for toyota)
A friend borrowed my Performance Box GPS based test gear and used it on an AURION and (from memory) got a 6.6 second time (either that or 6.7). Temp was around a humid 26 degrees and he weighed about 80 kg's. In similar conditions an FG G6 recorded a 7.08 second time.

Although some Wheels times haven't been too fast, the Aurion's 6.1 second time on the test that XR6 Martin mentioned was pretty quick, but 13 degrees and (apparently) a light driver should have helped.

But they are fast and perhaps under 6 might be possible I guess, but of course it comes back to the accuracy of the speedo.
Old 29-05-2015, 02:41 PM   #74
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68 View Post
Those Aurions are light and have a big engine. Power to weight ratio is 135kW per tonne. XR6 is 115 and XR6T is 156. Even Megane RS is 141 . So it is a Camry on steroids .
not only that, being front wheel drive they would be getting more of the engine power to the rollers...

200kw front wheel drive is more like 165kw to wheels where falcon 195kw at motor is likely 145kw at rear wheels. Add to that the car is lighter.

Last edited by HULK_I6T; 29-05-2015 at 02:53 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 29-05-2015, 02:45 PM   #75
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
having a currently a couple of toyotas currently in the family and my beloved AU..............and a lexus, i actually like that toyota hangs on to gear that doesn`t fail , perhaps not the steering wheel, buts lets look at electric windows for example and the switches,

on toyotas i have noticed late models appear to use the same ones that i have in my 1990 lexus, and let me tell you they just dont give trouble .... unlike some other brands, even my young brothers 84 cressida windows still go up and down fast.

there is a reason people buy these so called white goods , in general they dont spend hardly any time at all in workshops getting stuff done that should not need too.

the other thing i like about toyota`s is the attention to detail, unless you actually own one you dont always see the finer points.

while my antique beat up LS400 which was about middle of the LS400 range it still has electric seat belt height adjusters , air bag suspension, a second lock and key on the inside of the car to keep people away from your valuables in the boot while the valay or mechanic has your car,
12 way electric drivers seat, passenger is electric too ... but not as flash, plus seat memory.
third sun visor above the rear vision mirror.
auto locking doors after 20 kph
standard first aid kit
standard basic tool kit .
the heater fan on at full throttle you can hardly hear it, and it works like a beauty.
tailshaft damper
hydraulic cooling fan.... you cant hear it
nitrogen charged brakes
steering damper
i could go on .
And this is just a basic version of the luxo model, and some of the quality tech on this old car is still craps on many high end cars on the road today.
there is a lot to like about the way they put cars together imo.
Car you are describing is a Toyota Celsior (UCF11) and not LS400 UCF10 ( LS didn't have all the features of JDM Celsior such as air suspension and many convenience /electronic gadgets). Celsiors were made in 3 trim levels while australian delivered LS400'was one level only .
LS was start of Lexus brand and competing against S class , XJ AND 7 series - so it had to be good .
Old 29-05-2015, 02:46 PM   #76
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

This has turned into an interesting thread.......
Old 29-05-2015, 02:50 PM   #77
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Am I missing something here, the way I read this is you've had the car for the last 15 years? and still bitchin about it?
so did you own a Honda at the same time

regardless of its condition its a 16 year old car and should not be compared to any new car.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Old 29-05-2015, 03:02 PM   #78
Ford17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
This has turned into an interesting thread.......
It could now be retitled 'The Camry/Aurion/Lexus Appreciation Thread'?
5 users like this post:
Old 29-05-2015, 03:10 PM   #79
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
not only that, being front wheel drive they would be getting more of the engine power to the rollers...

200kw front wheel drive is more like 165kw to wheels where falcon 195kw at motor is likely 145kw at rear wheels. Add to that the car is lighter.
Please just stop.
If you want to bring 'facts' in to it please go and get actual facts.
Don't just drop in a "likely" to cover yourself, while trying to mislead.
Old 29-05-2015, 03:28 PM   #80
T MAN

I cant speak for the aurion but we have a 04 v6 camry that has been absolutely flawless, in the 11 years of ownership has never failed, nothing has broken, interior is still excellent.
and this car lives outside in the hot sun in summer, and the wet cold winter and it does get a flogging from time to time, lol
it doesn't get washed or detailed. just serviced as required..
while its not the best looking, best handling or even fast, it would have to be the best built and most reliable car ive ever seen..

although we are about to get rid of it to buy a aurion, hopefully the aurion will be as good as the camry..
Old 29-05-2015, 04:14 PM   #81
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Old 29-05-2015, 04:36 PM   #82
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD View Post
Please just stop.
If you want to bring 'facts' in to it please go and get actual facts.
Don't just drop in a "likely" to cover yourself, while trying to mislead.
I'm fairly sure FWD cars do have less drivetrain losses.
4 users like this post:
Old 29-05-2015, 04:56 PM   #83
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
I'm fairly sure FWD cars do have less drivetrain losses.
Yes, they do have less losses, but the numbers spruiked after are what concern me.
AKA: Not worth the paper they're written on, and always embellished to suit.
Old 29-05-2015, 05:18 PM   #84
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Yes, they do have less losses, but the numbers spruiked after are what concern me.
AKA: Not worth the paper they're written on, and always embellished to suit.
That's nice......on topic too. Just when we thought we'd come up with a knew name for the thread.....it gets turned back into a "bag the troll thread"
It already went through that....survived, moved on......but now it's back.
Amazing
Old 29-05-2015, 05:21 PM   #85
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
why do they concern you?

Many baulked at my claims of Aurion doing 5s in the 0-100 sprint.. I placed up video to prove it..

These facts are not that difficult to digest. do your research.
Old 29-05-2015, 05:25 PM   #86
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I’m in my 70’s and I have a lot of friends who own various models of the Camry and they do everything that is asked of them.

Pick up a prescription, Thursdays at the bowling club, Sundays at Church if it isn’t too early, park across the bays at Coles Carpark, Sunday drives any day of the week, they go forwards and backwards, scrape along gate posts and bollards and a place to store a hat just to name a few.

My friends believe they are one of the most versatile cars ever and they look great in white.
Old 29-05-2015, 05:31 PM   #87
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
why do they concern you?

Many baulked at my claims of Aurion doing 5s in the 0-100 sprint.. I placed up video to prove it..

These facts are not that difficult to digest. do your research.
Why?Because in typical fashion, you are reporting fake data and claiming as gospel, and then later referring back to your own fake data to prove a point. It's not like you care about the car anyway, you are only interested in causing a fuss.

Let's get something straight....

The video you posted is useless. You do not even get the needle to 100, and with the accuracy of the speedo, you're likely to have only done a 0-90 sprint.
2 users like this post:
Old 29-05-2015, 05:32 PM   #88
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lol you really have to give credit. After all this time you still know how to suck everyone in. Still quicker than I thought they were.
Old 29-05-2015, 05:32 PM   #89
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post
That's nice......on topic too. Just when we thought we'd come up with a knew name for the thread.....it gets turned back into a "bag the troll thread"
It already went through that....survived, moved on......but now it's back.
Amazing
And this is on topic?

It came back to a "bag the troll" thread because the troll re-appeared.
Old 29-05-2015, 06:04 PM   #90
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

having driven both an Aurion SX6 and FG XR6 (non turbo) I honestly think the Aurion quicker then the FG it seemed more responsive. where as the Falcon had the better ride and handling
Closed Thread