Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-05-2014, 08:59 AM   #61
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Protection against road rage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olbucko View Post
Easier said than done, look what happened to this bloke!

http://youtu.be/cgo1RNRVX4g
Law providing for mandatory loss of licence for life for this sort of thing would send out a strong message about road rage. Some people are psychologically unfit to drive a vehicle, yet holding a driver's licence is too often treated as a scared right.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-05-2014, 09:19 AM   #62
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by tut0r View Post
Everyone's got their stereo type of whaat type of driver annoys them, whether it be p platers, Mercedes drivers etc, I suffer from the condition of road rage living in Melbourne, But I never abuse someone I just swear and curse in my car. I like to think I'm a courteous driver on the roads and my biggest pet peeve are people who speed up and around into a merge lane to get in front and end up just making traffic back up with them trying to push in.

I'm sure there are a lot of members who have had moments where they felt like getting out of the car, but probably have more common sense. I hate soccer mums in 4wds at school time, I almost had my car written off by 3 in one day in those huge BMW X series, be it from not head checking to just pullling out and forcing me to slam my brakes on.

Doesn't happen so much now I'm back in a falcon but I'm never driving a small car again, you really do get bullied on the road.
I've found the type of car you're in is irrelevant. The instigator (regardless of what sex, race, or age group they are in) will still do silly things.

IMO, they can only bully you if you let them. If you're aware of your surroundings and what the traffic is doing you have the power to manage most situations.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2014, 09:27 AM   #63
Sniper83
Starter Motor

Here's how to avoid road rage, know the road rules and drive accordingly. Don't think that because you are inside a protective metal shell that you are invincible and proceed to be a smartarse. Blowing your horn and flashing your lights for minor discrepancies will set someone off (I know that annoys the crap out of me). If you are in the wrong, give the old head nod and "sorry I f&@ked up" hand wave, also don't have a go at others if you have made a wrong move and are trying to play it off. Last but not least KEEP LEFT UNLESS OVERTAKING!!
Sniper83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-05-2014, 11:32 AM   #64
tut0r
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFoot81 View Post

IMO, they can only bully you if you let them. If you're aware of your surroundings and what the traffic is doing you have the power to manage most situations.

i'd have to disagree, example my 91 corolla on the fwy, im in the right lane doing about 5 over someone else is in the right lane doing 90, what do you do? Sat behind him then went close up and backed off to signal i wanted to go passed, the guy in a 4wd wouldnt move so i went to the middle lane.....oh wait guess what he sped up because he didnt want anyone passing him....

So in saying that a bit of power in your car goes a long way id like to see someone in a smart car say they have an easier time getting around idiots than in something sizeable with a bit of grunt...

Might be just me but I dont have a problem with overtaking or idiots trying to merge on me anymore!!

Mods to Date
Ceramic Coated Pacemaker 4495s
2.5" Dual Venom exhaust,
Bluepower CAI
Eaton True Trac with 3.9s
20% Underdrive
EcoLpi Motor

RWKW: 200.0
Nm: 394

Mods to Follow
Supercharger
T56 Conversion TR6060
tut0r is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2014, 02:49 PM   #65
You Yangs
Dunnydore Destroyer

Weapons in the car!! I enjoy playing Cricket, Tennis and Hockey so the only problem is choosing the right tool for the situation.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:38 PM   #66
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

I haven't been road raged as such but on the odd occasion while driving my wife's Corolla I've had boofheads aggressively tailgate me even though I'm going slightly quicker than those around me and not hogging the right lane.

They get a shock to see a big ugly caucasian male behind the wheel giving them "the look". Not what they're expecting.

Most tailgaters are bullies. There are douchebags and there are those who have lost the plot and had a brain meltdown. I haven't copped any of those. I guess if I did I'd lock all doors and try to get the hell out of there.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2014, 09:05 PM   #67
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

I got road raged tonight by some speeding imbecile, I came out of a petrol station in a 70 some in front of him, he would have been doing 90 -100 and I thought I had plenty of space, any how he proceeds to tailgate me with his high beam on. I pull over and let the idiot go, he speeds off. People just dgaf today.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.

Last edited by Smoke Pursuit; 11-05-2014 at 09:14 PM.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2014, 09:08 PM   #68
tut0r
Donating Member
Donating Member2

My friend has a wrangler with a nice secret spotty on the back pointing behind the car, hasn't had a tailgater since.

Mods to Date
2.5" Dual Venom exhaust,
Bluepower CAI
20% Underdrive
EcoLpi Motor

Mods to Follow
Supercharger
T56 Conversion TR6060
Old 11-05-2014, 09:17 PM   #69
Lotte
YE-US! Wait. I don't know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper83 View Post
Here's how to avoid road rage, know the road rules and drive accordingly. Don't think that because you are inside a protective metal shell that you are invincible and proceed to be a smartarse. Blowing your horn and flashing your lights for minor discrepancies will set someone off (I know that annoys the crap out of me). If you are in the wrong, give the old head nod and "sorry I f&@ked up" hand wave, also don't have a go at others if you have made a wrong move and are trying to play it off. Last but not least KEEP LEFT UNLESS OVERTAKING!!
Yeah... no. Even those following the road rules (the OPs wife indicated, meaning if she is in front of you, you legally have to give way), this guy not only blocked her from getting in, but then flew off his handle when she legally merged in front of him. I got abused once for doing the speed limit in the left lane, because everyone in the right was going slower.

And finally, one of my friends lives on a main road and they get abused for turning into their driveway. Once Mash (a 6'8" giant who has his nickname for good reason) was driving the mummy-mobil and turned into the driveway, the bloke behind was so ****ed he dare go home while he was behind him, he pulled into the driveway after him, as they both got out of the car and this dipshit realised it wasn't someone he should probably take on (he'd have been ****** if he'd tried it on Bec too), he quickly got in his car and squealed off.

So I contest the notion that knowing the road rules and obeying them will stop road rage. Because, simply, it doesn't.
The Weekender: '06 BF Pursuit, Toxic, lumpy af

Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-05-2014, 10:17 PM   #70
AndyXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is why I have my shotgun sitting on the parcel shelf... Keeps idiots away
AndyXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2014, 10:38 PM   #71
zilo
BANNED

A while back I read a report that in certain situations carbon monoxide poisoning creates aggressive behaviour in some personality types.

Probably what we are seeing in stop start traffic.

Also LPG emissions were mentioned as being of some significance.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2014, 10:44 PM   #72
MDS69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Problem with brandishing a weapon is that they can be taken off you and used against you.
I get a little wound up at times driving in Sydney peak hour traffic with some of the stupid stuff people call driving but then again I am sure I am not perfect either. Occasionally I sheepishly put my hand up and wave sorry for something I have done wrong.
MDS69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 11-05-2014, 10:59 PM   #73
tut0r
Donating Member
Donating Member2

You're totally right, so many people think they are perfect drivers but when in reality they're not, hell I find I get angry when someone gets in front of me in traffic.....Stupid I know and they haven't even cut me off they just managed to sneak in when I wasn't paying attention, I just chuckle and say "sneaky bugger"

Mods to Date
2.5" Dual Venom exhaust,
Bluepower CAI
20% Underdrive
EcoLpi Motor

Mods to Follow
Supercharger
T56 Conversion TR6060
Old 11-05-2014, 11:13 PM   #74
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I avoid road rage now by not driving on the road anymore. I drive on the footpath....medium strips...shopping malls.....
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 12-05-2014, 09:49 AM   #75
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

I witness a lot of road rage as a pedestrian/cyclist... this makes it even more daunting because I don't have a 1.5 ton piece of steel surrounding me.
A lot of people live their lives consumed by anger - plain and simple.
I see people of all demographics blasting around in their cars like they're in a formula 1 race every day - they can't even wait ten seconds for someone to cross at a pedestrian crossing. It's written all over their face "I'm in a car, I'm more important than you."

A large percentage of the population needs to take a chill pill and realise that they don't have to take everything so seriously! Oh no, the world will end because you get to the shops one minute later than you expected... Geez.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:16 AM   #76
Sniper83
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotte View Post
Yeah... no. Even those following the road rules (the OPs wife indicated, meaning if she is in front of you, you legally have to give way), this guy not only blocked her from getting in, but then flew off his handle when she legally merged in front of him. I got abused once for doing the speed limit in the left lane, because everyone in the right was going slower.

And finally, one of my friends lives on a main road and they get abused for turning into their driveway. Once Mash (a 6'8" giant who has his nickname for good reason) was driving the mummy-mobil and turned into the driveway, the bloke behind was so ****ed he dare go home while he was behind him, he pulled into the driveway after him, as they both got out of the car and this dipshit realised it wasn't someone he should probably take on (he'd have been ****** if he'd tried it on Bec too), he quickly got in his car and squealed off.

So I contest the notion that knowing the road rules and obeying them will stop road rage. Because, simply, it doesn't.
Avoiding something is not a complete prevention, it just helps, unless you are dealing with an irrational nutcase.
I personally have never had someone go over the top as fas as road rage goes. I won't count the flashed lights and honked horns because that's just part of being on the road with morons (even tho it ****** me off), I put it down to good driving, respecting road rules, respecting other drivers etc.
On the other hand, I know a guy that has been involved in multiple violent road rage incidents because he drives like an absolute f&@kwit and has a big mouth.
So my original notion is correct in my view, but as I said, and I agree with you, incidents can happen even if you are following the rules, it just helps to avoid them in most cases.
Sniper83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2014, 11:57 AM   #77
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
That's stuff is not illegal as long as its not concealed, if ever asked just tell them it's in the glove box.
Actually it is illegal in most States and will get you prison time as well as a hefty fined . e.g. in WA:

http://www.slp.wa.gov.au/pco/prod/Fi...df?OpenElement

Quote:
Weapons Act
snip ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

controlled weapon means —
(a) an article prescribed by regulations to be a controlled weapon; or
(b) any other article, not being a firearm or a prohibited weapon, made or modified to be used —
(i) to injure or disable a person;
(ii) to cause a person to fear that someone will be injured or disabled by that use; or
(iii) for attack or defence in the practice of a martial sport, art or similar discipline;

snip~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
conveyance means anything used or capable of being used to
transport people or goods by air, land or water and it does not matter how it is propelled or that it may ordinarily be stationary;

snip~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

possess includes to have control or dominion over and to have
the order or disposition of;
prohibited weapon means an article prescribed by regulations to
be a prohibited weapon;

snip~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
6. Prohibited weapons
(1) Except as provided in subsections (2) and (3) and section 10, a
person who —
(a) brings or sends a prohibited weapon into the State;
(b) carries or possesses a prohibited weapon;
(c) purchases, sells or supplies a prohibited weapon; or
(d) manufactures a prohibited weapon,
or attempts to do any of those things, commits an offence.
Penalty: imprisonment for 3 years and a fine of $36 000.
(2) A person does not commit an offence under subsection (1)(b) if the person carries or possesses the prohibited weapon only so as to deliver it into the custody of —
(a) a member of the Police Force; or
(b) an employee in the Police Service.
(3) A person does not, by doing or attempting to do something referred to in subsection (1), commit an offence against that subsection if it is for the purpose of fulfilling a contract for the provision of a prohibited weapon to a person who may lawfully possess it.

7. Controlled weapons
(1) Except as provided in section 10, a person who, without a lawful excuse, carries or possesses a controlled weapon commits an offence.
Penalty: imprisonment for 2 years and a fine of $24 000.
(2) Except as provided in section 10, a person who has a lawful excuse to carry or possess a controlled weapon commits an offence if the person carries or possesses it in a manner that could reasonably be expected to cause someone —
(a) to be injured or disabled; or
(b) to fear that someone will be injured or disabled.
Penalty: imprisonment for 2 years and a fine of $24 000.

(3) In this section a lawful excuse to carry or possess a controlled weapon does not include the excuse that the weapon is carried or possessed for defence.
(4) Subsection (3) does not apply to a controlled weapon of a kind prescribed for the purposes of this subsection as long as it is carried or possessed in such circumstances, if any, as the
regulations may prescribe.
(5) Regulations under subsection (4) may apply generally or to a
particular person or class of persons.
http://www.slp.wa.gov.au/legislation..._homepage.html
Quote:

Weapons Regulations 1999

Schedule 1 — Prohibited weapons
[r. 4]
Item Article Description
1. Acoustic shock weapon - An article made or modified to be used to emit sound so as to injure or disable a person.
2. Ballistic knife An article made or modified to be used to discharge
a knife and includes the knife.
3. Blow pipe An article made or modified to be used to discharge a missile by air expelled from the mouth and includes the missile.
4. Butterfly knife A knife —
(a) having a 2 piece handle which folds together
to cover both edges of the blade; and
(b) made or modified to be used to injure or disable a person or as a martial arts weapon, and includes the martial arts weapon known as the butterfly knife or balisong.
5. Catapult (with an arm brace)
A catapult made or modified to be used with an arm brace that fits or rests on the forearm to support the wrist from the tension of the elastic material used to discharge the missile (e.g. the article commonly known as the “Saunders Falcon Hunting Sling”).
6. Commercially produced catapult (without an arm
brace) A catapult —
(a) made or modified to be used without the arm brace referred to in item 5; and
(b) made for commercial distribution.
7A. Crossbow An article made or modified to be used with one or 2 hands to discharge a missile by an elastic force across a stock grooved to direct the missile and includes the missile.
7. Disguised knife or sword
A knife or sword disguised as part of another article and includes —
(a) a knife disguised as part of a belt (e.g. the article commonly known as the “Bowen” knife belt); or
(b) a sword disguised as a cane or stick
8. Electric shock weapon
An article made or modified to be used to discharge an electric current so as to injure or disable a person but does not include an approved electric shock
case.
9. Electromagnetic weapon
An article made or modified to be used to emit electromagnetic radiation so as to injure or disable a person.
10. Extendable baton A baton made or modified so that the length of the
baton extends by gravity or centrifugal force or by any pressure applied to a button, spring or device in or attached to the handle of the baton.
11. Flick knife or Switchblade
A knife —
(a) having a blade that is concealed when folded or recessed into the handle and that opens by gravity or centrifugal force or by any pressure applied to a button, spring or device in or attached to the handle of the knife; and
(b) made or modified to be used to injure or disable a person or as a martial arts weapon.
11A. Gas dart A device designed or adapted to kill or injure an animal by injecting a gas into the body of the animal (including a “Gas Dart”, “Farallon Shark Dart” or similar device).
12. Knuckle dusters An article made or modified to be worn across the
knuckles of a hand so as —
(a) to increase the force at the point of impact of a punch or blow when striking another with those knuckles; or
(b) to protect the knuckles from injury when
striking another with those knuckles.
13. Knuckle knife A knife made or modified to be held so that the blade protrudes between the knuckles or fingers of a hand (e.g. the article commonly known as the
“Urban Pal” knife).

15. Spray weapon (not oleoresincapsicum) A spray weapon made or modified to be used to discharge a substance other than oleoresin
capsicum.

Schedule 2 — Controlled weapons
[r. 5]
Item Article Description
1. Approvedelectric shock case
Any approved electric shock case.
2. Baton flail An article consisting of 2 or more batons joined by a cord, rope or chain so as to form a flail and includes —
(a) the martial arts weapon known as the nunchaku; and
(b) a baton constructed in such a way that it can be unscrewed or broken to form a flail.
3. Bow An article made or modified to be used to discharge an arrow by an elastic force and includes the arrow.
[4. deleted]
5. Dagger A sharp pointed stabbing knife having —
(a) a flat blade, exceeding 8 cm in length with non-serrated cutting edges along the length of both sides
; or
(b) a needle-like blade, the cross section of which is elliptical or has 3 or more sides, and includes a bayonet.
6. Double end knife
A knife —
(a) having fixed blades at both ends of the handle;
and
(b) made or modified to be used to injure or disable a person or as a martial arts weapon,
(e.g. the martial arts weapon known as the suan ywegou).
7. Fixed baton Any baton other than an extendable baton or a baton flail and includes the martial arts weapon known as the tonfa.
8. Halberd An article (other than a spear) —
(a) consisting of a stick or pole with a blade at the end; and
(b) made or modified to be used to injure or disable a person or as a martial arts weapon,
(e.g. the martial arts weapon known as the naginata).
9. Hand or foot claws
An article consisting of claws that are made or modified to be attached to or worn on the hands or feet (e.g. the martial arts weapons known as the
ninja climbing claws, ninja hand claws and ninja foot claws).
10. Imitation firearm
An article, not being an article that is clearly a toy, that has the appearance of being a firearm but is not capable of discharging a missile.
10AA. Light pointer An article made or modified to be used to emit light so as to be used as a pointing device (including a laser pointer).
10A. Machete A broad, heavy chopping knife (e.g. the single edged, cutlass-like knife traditionally used as both a weapon and an implement in Latin American countries, also known as a “matchet” or a “panga”).
11. Metal whip An article —
(a) consisting of or incorporating a chain or a combination of a chain and metal pieces or rods; and
(b) made or modified to be used as a whip,
(e.g. the martial arts weapons known as the Chinese whip, whip spear, 7 or 9 piece iron chain, bian Tzu chiang and lien tzu chiang).
12. Pressure point
weapon An article made or modified to be used to injure or disable a person by application to the pressure points of the human body and includes the martial arts weapon known as the kubotan.
13. Pronged weapon
An article —
(a) having 2 or more prongs; and
(e.g. the martial arts weapons known as the saiand jitte).
14. Sickle or scythe weapon
A sickle or scythe made or modified to be used to injure or disable a person or as a martial arts weapon (e.g. the martial arts weapons known as the
kama and kusarigama).
15. Spear Any spear (e.g. the martial arts weapon known as the yari).
16. Spear-gun An article made or modified to be used to discharge a spear.
17. Spray weapon (oleoresin capsicum)
A spray weapon made or modified to be used to discharge oleoresin capsicum.
18. Studded weapon An article fitted with raised pointed studs that is
made or modified to be —
(a) used to injure or disable a person or as a martial arts weapon; and
(b) worn as an article of clothing, (e.g. a studded glove).
19. Sword Any sword (e.g. the martial arts weapons known as the butterfly sword, katana and wakizashi) and includes the martial arts weapon known as the tanto.
20. Throwing blade
or knife A blade or knife made or modified to be thrown and includes an article consisting of a blade attached to a cord, rope or chain so as to enable the blade to be thrown and retrieved (e.g. the martial arts weapon known as the shoge, ninja kyokeysu shoge or kyotetsu shoge).
21. Throwing star A sharpened, star-shaped article made or modified to be thrown (e.g. the martial arts weapon known as the shuriken or shaken) and includes a throwing star that is attached to a belt buckle.
22. Weighted chain or cord weapon
An article —
(a) consisting of or incorporating a chain or cord made of any material and weighted at both ends; and
(b) made or modified to be used to injure or disable a person or as a martial arts weapon, (e.g. the martial arts weapons known as the kusari fundo, manrikigusari and surujin).

And in your glove box is still in possession if you are in the car.

Last edited by aussiblue; 12-05-2014 at 12:14 PM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2014, 12:25 PM   #78
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Personally, I believe many road ragers drive around looking for an incident to direct their outbursts towards.
The smallest things set them off, they couldn't be rational people to begin with.

The one that amuses me is when you pull out into traffic after calculating a safe entry point in the traffic flow, only for the person you've safely pulled out in front of to speed up to your rear bumper and then scream in your rear vision mirror that you've held them up.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2014, 12:40 PM   #79
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

I have a large, heavy Maglite torch in the door card just in case, never needed to use it.
Old 12-05-2014, 12:42 PM   #80
andyvbrown

I have an accelerator pedal. I just drive away in a safe and caring manner. Avoid the situation to get out of control.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk
andyvbrown is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2014, 12:51 PM   #81
HULK_I6T
Banned

Yep sydney traffic will do it to you..

I was in a carpark a few cars back and a guy was looking to park turning to the left. He veered to the right to create a favourable arc to park to the left when a p-plater tried to speed through on the left. The guy turns in front of him to park.. The p-Plater locks up his brakes...

The p-plater gets out screaming, the other guy in front got out of his car with a meat clever in his hand.. lol

You had to see the p-plater retreat to his car, so funny.

seems like a meat clever is the way to calm the situation.
HULK_I6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 12-05-2014, 01:37 PM   #82
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Personally, I believe many road ragers drive around looking for an incident to direct their outbursts towards.
The smallest things set them off, they couldn't be rational people to begin with.

The one that amuses me is when you pull out into traffic after calculating a safe entry point in the traffic flow, only for the person you've safely pulled out in front of to speed up to your rear bumper and then scream in your rear vision mirror that you've held them up.
Tap Out shirts and southern cross tough stickers / neck tatt tards

Last edited by pottery beige; 12-05-2014 at 01:46 PM.
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 12-05-2014, 01:48 PM   #83
iCat
doof doof doof doof

Mouthing off at someone is one thing. Threats of physical violence or actual physical violence is on another plane. I don't give a toss whether either party is male or female, whether someone has just cut someone off, forgot to indicate or whatever. It is totally and absolutely unacceptable to follow up with the threat or act of physical violence. I feel very sorry for the op's wife and children. An appalling situation to be in.
Old 12-05-2014, 02:13 PM   #84
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_I6T View Post
Yep sydney traffic will do it to you..

I was in a carpark a few cars back and a guy was looking to park turning to the left. He veered to the right to create a favourable arc to park to the left when a p-plater tried to speed through on the left. The guy turns in front of him to park.. The p-Plater locks up his brakes...

The p-plater gets out screaming, the other guy in front got out of his car with a meat clever in his hand.. lol

You had to see the p-plater retreat to his car, so funny.

seems like a meat clever is the way to calm the situation.

I think it would be rather difficult to prove to a court that you needed to carry a meat cleaver beside your seat, however it is perfectly reasonable to be carrying an 18" shifter(for removing your towball), in the car with you, I think that would have the same deterrent effect.
Old 12-05-2014, 02:54 PM   #85
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
i'd have to disagree, example my 91 corolla on the fwy, im in the right lane doing about 5 over someone else is in the right lane doing 90, what do you do? Sat behind him then went close up and backed off to signal i wanted to go passed, the guy in a 4wd wouldnt move so i went to the middle lane.....oh wait guess what he sped up because he didnt want anyone passing him....

So in saying that a bit of power in your car goes a long way id like to see someone in a smart car say they have an easier time getting around idiots than in something sizeable with a bit of grunt...

Might be just me but I dont have a problem with overtaking or idiots trying to merge on me anymore!!
What I meant was: irrespective of how 'intimidating' a car looks, the types that are pre disposed to try and muscle in, cut you off, or tail gate etc will still do so.

The way I'm treated on the road is no different whether I'm in a Falcon or a Fiesta. Idiots will always be idiots.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2014, 03:13 PM   #86
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olbucko View Post
I think it would be rather difficult to prove to a court that you needed to carry a meat cleaver beside your seat, however it is perfectly reasonable to be carrying an 18" shifter(for removing your towball), in the car with you, I think that would have the same deterrent effect.
you could carry a baseball bat, just also carry a baseball.. i used to.. the police have caught me with it and they said "you play much baseball" I said yeah sometimes..

But the baseball bat and baseball were both brand new.

He couldnt do anything though.

There are also those baseball bat steering wheel locks on ebay.. car security!!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Baseball-...item4180c246fb
HULK_I6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2014, 03:27 PM   #87
steve.zissou
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

any weapon will get you in more trouble (even if you wernt the instigator)

Get a dash cam

I have no trouble being able to handle myself but even i have given up now and dont get out of the car. Even if your inocent, youll still loose a couple of days work sitting with the police and through court cases. You'll still have to spend a couple of grand on a solicitor (unless your an idiot and want to incriminate your self occidentally)

Now i just sit in my car and point the the camera (little uniden for $70) and every idiot has pulled their head in (say 3 over the last 3 years but i do 100,000km a year and even then, i could have avoided these situations all together if i wanted to (but some times idiots need to be called out and some times i make mistakes and my apologetic wave isnt enough for some).

the only time i have gotten out of the car lately is when an idiot was going nuts at a young lady (like the OP situation). Even then all i did was get out and tell him i had it all on camera and pointed to it - he left straight away
steve.zissou is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2014, 03:34 PM   #88
MrXR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.zissou View Post
any weapon will get you in more trouble (even if you wernt the instigator)

i would rather be fined then loose my life so i think ill keep carrying.
carrying what you ask?

not telling!
When a car gets past you, you just want to go after them, you want to chase them down, you want to pass them. It's primal. But then there's another side to it, where you just completely forget about all the other cars on the track, and you feel like you're in another world. It's just you, at one with the road and the car.

Eric Bana
MrXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2014, 05:50 PM   #89
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

Quote:

I have to agree with you here.

I've been using a 1.6 carb 91 Laser hatch recently cause of a cracked firewall in the XR and the differences in peoples behavior is crazy.
In the Laser it seems people go out of their way to cut me off, get in front of me, ride up.....etc all the usual fun stuff.

In comparison the only thing I usually notice in the Falcon is middle aged mums in Mazdas trying to race me at traffic lights.
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
FGX-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2014, 06:04 PM   #90
MAD
Petro-sexual

Weapons are a bad idea unless you are 100% willing, and able, to use it to it's full potential.
It can just as easily be used against you.

Neither way is legal.