Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-07-2013, 04:49 PM   #61
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Best highway fuel economy in your Falcon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
This works out at 5.78L / 100km for the Forte

and 8.24L / 100km for the XR6

Average for the XR, amazing for the Forte! (based on using a full 68 litres.)

I still can't crack 900km for 65 litres.

Cheers Vincenzo

Maybe I'm being cynical, but every AU I've owned/driven has speedo error of 7-10%. I think 5s for a Falcon is a bit optimistic.

Who says bikes are economical... My Ducati 1098 gets over 10l/100km if I keep up it. 180kg and 1100cc.

Jeep Wrangler 3.8 v6 on 35s, 14 highway and over 25l/100km low range.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2013, 10:21 PM   #62
Cuyper

My Yamaha IT490 has a range just over 100 km and it's got a 14 litre tank or so. It's only 500cc, after 100km of near death experiences you are about ready for home anyway.
Cuyper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-07-2013, 11:14 PM   #63
gstar
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Ute View Post
Wife's xtrail gets about 8.5 on highway. around town it gets a shockingly bad 11.5. Don't buy a cvt auto

My new old BA ute gets a pretty crap 11.5 on the highway. Going to give it a birthday me thinks and probably get rid of the crappy aftermarket exhaust on it. Probably too big

Hired a hundy i45 a few years ago. Averaged 5.7 from brissy airport to the gold coast doing 110(maybe) on the freeway, thought it was a oil burner. Nope direct injections petrol. Very impressed.
My wife's '12 Subaru Outback (CVT auto) gets 7.7 on the highway and 9.0 around town. I'd recommend the Subaru CVT.
My Bf2 RTV auto achieved 8.7 on a run from Perth - Pinjarra travelling between 100- 110 kph. Well pleased!
gstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2013, 12:41 AM   #64
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

The wife's EL Fairmont wagon had 500km travelled and 502 left in the tank on a trip Geelong to Bright. Refilled with 98 and had 943km to empty on the trip computer.
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2013, 01:14 AM   #65
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuthin' fancy View Post
The wife's EL Fairmont wagon had 500km travelled and 502 left in the tank on a trip Geelong to Bright. Refilled with 98 and had 943km to empty on the trip computer.
How big's the tank??!!!
Old 09-07-2013, 08:28 AM   #66
prydey
Rob

wagons have 72L tank. i cracked the 900km on numerous occasions in my ef xr6 manual wagon.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2013, 11:16 AM   #67
ZedTee
Just kickin' up dust

That's all crazy numbers, must be good nick cars! When I first bought my ba 6 cyl manual ute, it had no modifications at all, had about 90 thou on the clock, and I drove a full tank like an absolute grandma on the highway, only just accelerating, coasting up hills and using the downhill to pick speed up again and the best I got was 7xx Kay's out of 72ish litres, whatever the figures were it worked out to 9.4l/100km. It never seen anything below about 12 after I went back to driving normal and started changing bits on it. I wish I'd see some figures like what you mob are getting!

2 Time Australian National Circlework Champion 2014 & 2017
First Falcon to win the National Circlework Title! Click here
First Muppet to win the National Circlework Title Twice! Click here

3rd 2015 18th 2016 2nd 2018
1st Bendigo Bute Ute show Circlework 2015, 2016 and 2017
ZedTee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2013, 11:39 AM   #68
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

I travelled from Bundaberg to Newcastle and only filled twice. Average economy was nearly 7/100km with an average speed (for the trip) of 94km
Old 09-07-2013, 11:45 AM   #69
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedTee View Post
That's all crazy numbers, must be good nick cars!
i bought my ef xr6 wagon with 230000 km's on the clock, give or take. i sold it with over 300000km on the clock. did adelaide to bris return at least 3 times in it. never missed a beat. i got 930km from a tank but that was using almost every last drop. filled to the brim it took 73L. that works out to about 7.8L/100km. ef's were very economical on the highway.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:08 PM   #70
SVR73
Mr Polish

Thanks for that Vincenzo. The forte had two people in it as well.
I discovered the forte's 1175 per tank (did at least 1100 every time) by doing three drives from Adelaide to the gold coast via broken hill, cobar, Lismore, Ballina etc
First trip - stopped at cobar with 1/8th of an inch still remaining on the fuel gauge. Filling up again with jerry cans from the boot of the car. on that we made it to Mermaid Beach on the gold coast, 2200 km

Lowered 70mm with sports suspension and no cruise control. it was a great car but the XR is better to drive
P.S. We drove non stop, 22 hours with the engine only off for 5 mins to fill up at cobar

Last edited by SVR73; 09-07-2013 at 02:17 PM.
SVR73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-07-2013, 06:00 PM   #71
james22
With da Warlords

7.64 L/Per 100 In my AU XR8 when it was reasonably stock. Drove 850km from orange to mildura on one tank... Was chuffed with that

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2013, 09:06 PM   #72
1TUFFUTE
Banned

G6et. Is sitting on 7.9 ATM with a fair bit of highway driving since last fill up....including a 90klmhr run with the trailer on the back. But if I drive fun around town in our hilly area it'll be near 12 always(but don't quote me on the last one...it's been awhile lol) bad memory....but I've been enjoying the great economy lol
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2013, 08:24 PM   #73
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

AU was and still is the most aerodynamic Falcon to date.
Lowered Forte with low resistance tyres, mirror delete, some weight stripped out and a taped up front end, could probably do 1500kms on the highway.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2013, 03:02 AM   #74
1TUFFUTE
Banned

I have this bet with my mate coming up......
We're taking a tour to some winerys out in the wide open hilly sorta area. Bet is ...I drive slightly sporty and he has to keep up.......then we check economies.
Any bets lol
G6et auto
Hyundai i30 auto ;)
Old 11-07-2013, 03:25 AM   #75
V8 Ghia Mike
Blue blooded Ford guy!

Now THAT will be interesting! Make sure to keep your mate's Hyundai really work hard.

Mike

94 EF Fairmont Ghia 5.0- XR8 in a tuxedo...
Bordeaux purple, Tickford kit, 2.5+ inch drop, EL Ghia chrome, leather, Pioneer sound, C&C, electric everything, 18" BA XR8's, ABS, LSD, GT40P's, Crane cam, ChipTorque ECU, XR8 snorkel, lots of woodgrain, chrome and interior lights.
V8 Ghia Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2013, 11:01 AM   #76
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post
We're taking a tour to some winerys out in the wide open hilly sorta area. Bet is ...I drive slightly sporty and he has to keep up.......then we check economies.
Any bets lol
G6et auto
Hyundai i30 auto ;)
Man that thing would suck the hills up without any issue at all. That hyundai will cry tears of blood lol.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:08 AM   #77
prydey
Rob

have you been watching old top gear episodes with the M3 and the prius?
Old 11-07-2013, 11:18 AM   #78
[Buckets]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My ute has done 9.5 on a highway run from Canberra to Albury.

Not bad for a 380rwkw+ S/C V8
[Buckets] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2013, 12:19 PM   #79
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post
Any bets lol
G6et auto
Hyundai i30 auto ;)
My bet is that the i30 will be 2-3L per 100 below your figure.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2013, 11:19 PM   #80
chookaradley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

FG XR6T just did 7.9l/100km on a 200km highway run. What a gem the turbo I6 is, to have that much power under the loud foot and yet be capable of figures like that.

The Aussie Falcon will be sadly missed!
chookaradley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-07-2013, 12:32 AM   #81
Vincenzo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd like to pose a question to this thread.

Are the measurements people are quoting based on actual fuel replaced into a tank or readouts from the on board trip computer.

If they are from the computer, how accurate are the readings.

Cheers Vincenzo ( usage based on fuel replaced)

"WRC is for boys, Group B was for men" - Juha Kankkunen 4 times World Rally Champion

Romanes Eunt Domus - 'people called Romanes they go the house' - You mean Romani Ite Domum

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Vincenzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2013, 12:38 AM   #82
1TUFFUTE
Banned

I'd say on average everyone is using the trip metre figures ...so on average....they'll be average figures
2 users like this post:
Old 12-07-2013, 08:38 AM   #83
prydey
Rob

my figures were all done manually after filling the tank and recording the km's travelled and Litres used.

incidentally, my trip computer in my FG is extroadinarily accurate.
Old 13-07-2013, 12:10 AM   #84
JetBlack

If you own & drive a 1974 GS Falcon Coupe that has a 4/71 blower atop a 351C , fuel economy is pretty much the last thing on your mind when driving along a highway.

While the petrol filler ticks away unattended pouring 80 to 100 litre's into the tank , both Pilot & Shotgun walk around the car , stretching , drinking cold water , being careful not to spill any , casually checking the tyres by hand , we both lay down & check the underside with torches to see if anything is wet, shiny or "out of place". The 1/4 lifted bonnet now gets fully raised , check the rubber band for tension & any signs of fraying. Check & blow out any fresh bugs from the radiator, oil & tranny coolers , fins all look straight. No stray Oil , Green water is in the overflow tank , fuel feed & return lines are checked for abrasions or cracks , double check , its all bone dry under the bonnet , now the water injection bottle gets topped up with Ice cubes & the rest get rubbed down Shotgun's spine thru her T shirt , her back arches & I rub the ice over here chest , stomach & drop what's left down the front of her jeans. I dry my hands on myself. The bonnet gets dropped , & jerked up to make sure it's caught properly. The pumps finished , it gets holstered back in place & the cars petrol cap gets locked back in place. Shotgun's either ran off or into the toilet....

I walk into the "shell shop" I smile & hand the register girl 4 fresh $50's , ask for a few bags of ice , I grab 4 rolls of fruit tingles , Shotgun turns up , elbows me in the ribs away from the cashier , slams 4 Ice Cold Mars onto the counter & 2 big bottles of Gatorade , the register girl & Shotgun are both looking daggers at each other , I step back into place , bump Shotgun out of the way & smile again at the register girl as she gives me my change & a receipt. I pocket the fruit tingles & walk to the mens , leaving Shotgun & the register girl to take care of bagging the drinks + chocolate. I chuckle to myself in the mens room , thinking about what could happen when both girls have to go outside & get the ice....

The register girl brushed by me as she walks back in & I walk outside.
Shotgun's watching , engaging in conversation with her now is tempting , but the photo's I saw of Shotgun's highskool girlfriend we were going to see & stay a week from now in Canberra for a few nights , put the fully clothed cash register girl to shame.

I step back in to the car & sit on some ice , Shotgun's standing in front grinning as she starts pointing for blinkers , headlights. I go thru the front lights, indicators & horn's repeatedly whilst getting rid of the ice & fire up the car. Shotgun goes to the back & we run thru the tail lights.
There all good. I'm looking thru the guages as Shotgun takes her place.I lift the shifter lever + Drag Mr Gasket down to First. A quick twist of the handbrake & it slams to the firewall. Shotgun calls all clear to the left . I glance to my right & we rumble out of the service station.

The Police scanner has been quiet & there's been no chatter on the truckers channel about cops either. I have a competent spotter riding with me as we pull onto the highway @ 70MPH & all we can see ahead is 3 smooth lanes of highway ahead with no traffic , I punch the car up to 120MPH in 2nd then tap it into Drive......the lazy 2.75 Diff ratio is a lot of fun with a punchy engine to spin it on the highway.

It was early 1998 , I had a stack of cash & my phone turned off for the next 3 hours , we were heading South to catch up with a few of my friends do some shooting , open up some Gold mines that had been nailed shut since WW11 & do some guided & unguided spelunking + whatever else turned up before we reached Canberra.

I have absolutely no idea what sort of fuel economy I got for the duration of the trip , it _really_ didn't matter.

If Ferris was able to fabricate some new mounts & get the fluids running in his engine bay again , I'd find someone who act as both Pilot & Shotgun. We'd head up North , the only shooting would be done with video cameras , I'd be sleeping in Hotels & find or rent a young bed warmer each night

I still wouldn't give a rats about the fuel economy , the only change would probably be the average cruising speed , with 3.89 gears in the rear now we'd be cruising in KMH mode instead of MPH mode.

JB
Old 13-07-2013, 12:42 AM   #85
Vincenzo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And then you woke up .....?

Cheers Vincenzo

"WRC is for boys, Group B was for men" - Juha Kankkunen 4 times World Rally Champion

Romanes Eunt Domus - 'people called Romanes they go the house' - You mean Romani Ite Domum

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Vincenzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2013, 08:19 AM   #86
jaskel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

5.1L/100km in my G6E Ecoboost
jaskel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 13-07-2013, 09:32 AM   #87
justa6
justa6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaskel View Post
5.1L/100km in my G6E Ecoboost
Wow thats amazing.
justa6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2013, 09:10 PM   #88
JetBlack

@Vincenzo.
No. I was a fit and active Electrical Contractor early 1998.
Asset rich , with a healthy cash flow that allowed me to
take a week off every 3rd year , maybe grab or plan a long
weekend if I got the chance.

Ferris got "modified" in late 2000. A young woman blindly followed a ute that made a right hand turn in front of me.

Feb 2001
I was slammed with a crippling medical problem.

Current day.
Ferris just sits in the garage surrounded by the spare parts
required to make him rumble & roar again , nuff cash at hand
to cover any unexpected problems that may arise.
Unfortunately I lack the physical strength to get the fluids
flowing in Ferris again.

Such is Life.

Highways & Fuel Economy , DILLIGAF ?

JB
Old 15-07-2013, 11:20 PM   #89
H.G
Driver Returns On Foot

Rocky to blackwater.. Got 12.1 from my 3v tonner v8 ute.. Pretty impressed with that.
H.G is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2013, 09:57 PM   #90
KAM120

In my 05BA futura i can get around 7.4L/100kms on the hwy with A/C on and around 11.4L/100kms in town nowadays with the mods on it. When it was stock i usually saw around 8.0L/100kms on hwy and around 13.2L/100kms in town. Fairly good for a big car with a 4ltr donk i thought. Shows if you put the right mods on it can help the economy quite a bit all while making the car so much more enjoyable to drive.
KAM120 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post