Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-07-2013, 10:33 PM   #61
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 
Default Re: Loud exhaust, does the general public care?

More and more with every passing year.

Im about to tone down the Terminator with a second set of more modest 3" tail pipes... decent cams will make way for some milder 315 grinds and the car will be a helluva lot more palatable for the general public

The AluminaTTor with a complete twin 3" Manta system and a couple of turbine wheels in the system is about 1/3rd the volume level yet makes almost 1000rwhp.

Must be getting old, the noise certainly has grown that way

Daniel
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-07-2013, 03:20 PM   #62
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

When you just come off a shift and your neighbor warms up his rotary. That is the definition of an annoying exhaust.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2013, 03:24 PM   #63
EBII Fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As long as they are not being idiots. Unfortunately for me the last couple of months, each week I get woken up between 12 and 3 in the morning to commodores doing burnouts. Unfortunately if we don't get evidence or have the police catch them in the act, we will just have to put up with it.
EBII Fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2013, 06:01 PM   #64
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It all about the attitude of the driver. A house diagonally across from me had 2 regular visitors with load exhuasts.
One was fine because he cruised around at a reasonable pace and didn't rev it hard. The other idiot owned a POS late 90s magna which was in **** condition. He would get into late at night and take off up the street under WOT. Great for a cold engine. Haven't seen this idiot for 6 monts so I hope he lost his licence or something.

I'd love a slight upgrade of the exhuasts in my car. But I often drive in the middle of the night. My car is very quiet but sound really loud at 3am. Plus my driveway passes my neighbors bedroom so I can't do that to them.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2013, 06:09 AM   #65
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

After reading all of the responses, I have come to the conclusion that driver attitude is usually the most important factor in determining whether a vehicle is too loud or not.

I figured as much.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:54 AM   #66
MoeFord

Some of you people are the biggest hypocrites lol. Usually to a 'non enthusiast' a loud car is a loud car period. Be it a 'bogan commodore', 4, 6 , 8 or 12 cylinder. I have an 8 and a 6. Both are moderately loud but as many said how you drive the car makes a world of difference.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:01 AM   #67
red_hotxr6
Banned

It is so funny this thread is up and running. I picked one of my twin girls up from work last night..KFC.. and she was complaining about the guys that come thru the drive throughand keep revving there engines up with there loud exhausts, they can hardly hear what their orders are, and its not a one off, its just continious....like why?? not only is it stupid and senseless but it also disturbs the sit down diners as well....
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2013, 09:12 AM   #68
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_hotxr6 View Post
It is so funny this thread is up and running. I picked one of my twin girls up from work last night..KFC.. and she was complaining about the guys that come thru the drive throughand keep revving there engines up with there loud exhausts, they can hardly hear what their orders are, and its not a one off, its just continious....like why?? not only is it stupid and senseless but it also disturbs the sit down diners as well....
Why.

Coss day fink da cute chick in da window takin dere oda will like do sexy fings to dem n stuff coss dere car is fully hektic wiv it's cannons

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2013, 09:28 AM   #69
mex351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My solid cammed (at the time) 250 powered XF ute with a 4600 stall and 4.11's makes every single person in a servo stop and look if I turn into one to fill up.Full 3" exhaust and LARGE body Di-Fillipo muffler to the rear valance and the noise is sweet and tuff but not in everyone's opinion it seems.Even though I drive it very sensibly around town people still stare even though I'm doing nothing wrong in it.Lady across the road is not a fan and has called the cops before but they were cool as both times.If I was doing burnouts and stuff I would understand but thats not happening.

You can drive a big cammed big stalled and geared car smartly and common sense tell's you not to do drive thru's.Diff dumpers deserve every ticket they get however...and agree driver attitude is the key to noise output.
mex351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2013, 10:02 AM   #70
K_Man
Whoa, this is heavy!

Befriending your neighbours is the key.

When we lived in pakenham, we had a paddok across the street and I would quite often bring my truck home if I was heading out to morwell in the morning, made sure I asked all the neighbours first to clear it with them, told them It would be idling for about 5 minutes to bring up the air, and never had a complaint in the 2 years I did it. Not a little quiet japanese truck either, a loud boomy Acco. Always made sure I idled away too, being 5 in the morning. The bloke a few houses up used to try the same thing with his buggered old transtar, would fire it up, bump up the idle, and then go inside and have breakfast. That didnt last long. Show respect to others and you wont have a problem.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:52 AM   #71
H.G
Driver Returns On Foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_hotxr6 View Post

Id say its because the confined space which make the exhaust BOOM!!!

its not different to driving past a row of show windows and checking out how cool your rides reflection looks..

*you all know you do it,don't lie to make friends*
H.G is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2013, 10:53 AM   #72
H.G
Driver Returns On Foot

delete please.. double post.
H.G is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2013, 03:19 PM   #73
red_hotxr6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.G View Post
Id say its because the confined space which make the exhaust BOOM!!!

its not different to driving past a row of show windows and checking out how cool your rides reflection looks..

*you all know you do it,don't lie to make friends*
And the confined space jumps into the car and pushes on the accelarator pedal a few times causing the engine to rev up and make the exhaust reverberate louder annoying people doing there jobs and the diners inside trying to eat and have a convo...hmmm....no sorry never done that....checking my ride out pass a row of windows always.........simple common sense, you know where you are going, and you know exactly where you are, common decency....keep the noise down...
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2013, 04:26 PM   #74
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What is the go with some people mowing why is it they have to hold it flat out.
People with loud bikes & cars just punch them in the face.
I get idiots who have to gun it as they go past my place, they do it right at my place. not up the road but my place.
Is it because they know i have a 928 Porsche and think i will show him.
I have had them stop and drop burnouts out front to. i don't mind too much but it looks like i am the one dropping them because they are right out front my house. and i don't know these people at all.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2013, 04:37 PM   #75
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Quote:
Originally Posted by castellan View Post
I get idiots who have to gun it as they go past my place, they do it right at my place. not up the road but my place.
I have had them stop and drop burnouts out front to. i don't mind too much but it looks like i am the one dropping them because they are right out front my house. and i don't know these people at all.
I always mow flat out.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2013, 12:37 AM   #76
Thornie
Off smelting

Quote:
Originally Posted by castellan View Post
My mower only goes flat out, until I can be bothered to get a new throttle cable, better than the inconsiderate ****** around here that mow their lawns at 6 in the morning.