Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-03-2013, 03:00 PM   #61
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ranger SUV images

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO View Post
I'd be curious what, other than refinement, the 3L V6 can offer over a 3.2 I5.

Twin turbo packaging is another, but i think that wouldnt be seen on a commercial platform anyway.
Just some feedback, as the owner of a SZ diesel and VW van with I5 diesel that sit's east-west, I can say the refinement of the Terry V6 is outstanding in comparison. The I5 would not really be acceptable in a Terry and a definate backward step powertrain wise. As good as the I5 is in the Ranger, imho, you would also need better in a Ranger SUV, especially based on what they currently sell XLT/Wildtrack's for now.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2013, 03:03 PM   #62
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepscobra View Post
labour alone does not make a car.
I would guess the cost of locally sourced components would be more expensive here than overseas.

And Companies can't really make a business plan for what things 'may' be in the future.
People have been saying the $AUD will drop for a long time now and it is still staying strong.
This may be true however with any overseas sourced components and the more expensive ones likes engine, transmissions etc would be OS supplied these would be cheaper while the AUD remains high.
This user likes this post:
Old 15-03-2013, 03:11 PM   #63
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdmr View Post
It doesn't all come down to cost.
There is no point building a vehicle in country X if the product they build is not up to Fords quality standards. And perhaps country Xs plants are not flexible enough to build a variety of vehicle platforms.
Broadies is one of the most flexible Ford plants globally.
Ford Aus is ready and wanting to do more.

Glass half full people.
So true. Other factors not always obvious but recently highlighted were the Thai floods which showed that natural disasters, while not something you can predict now need to be considered in high rainfall/flood prone countries. Another to be considered is civil unrest/political stability. No point having the cheapest production plant when it's under water or starved of supplies, or it's workers are in civil protest.
Old 15-03-2013, 04:26 PM   #64
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I want one with an ecoboost 3.5.
Forget the soot chucker crap.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-03-2013, 04:39 PM   #65
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

I reckon they'd be looking at an Ecoboost 2L/V6 3.5-3.7 before that.

Unless they feel most buyers seeking that sort of engine option are just taking the 3.2 diesel.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2013, 10:16 PM   #66
Bossxr8
Peter Car

One thing i'd like to know is, can a full chassis vehicle be built on the same line as monocoque vehicles. Cause the construction methods would be quite different in terms of building the shell. Monocoque's are built as one piece, whereas a full chassis vehicle has the body fitted over the chassis.

Does Broadmeadows have the ability to build both types, at least without ripping half the place apart to do it, or have to run two body shops.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2013, 10:59 PM   #67
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

In theory it could build both types, but as you've said, its always been configured for building monocoque cars which means a big $$$ spend on plant modifications and new machines to build B.O.F. cars.

I havent been inside a car plant that makes BOF vehicles, but I have been inside Broady and can't imagine BOF vehicles being built there on the same line as monocoque cars as I don't think there is simply enough room in there to accommodate the machines to build both, not to mention the chaos in trying to harmonise all the build processes, ugh

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2013, 11:03 PM   #68
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

There's a program on NatGeo called Megafactories, and they went through the F150 plant. It was basically 2 smaller lines, a chassis line that had all the running gear and some electrics and then the body went on and had already been partially built up.

I know the monocoque cars put the engine, transmission and front suspension all in as one. Some factories even do the rear end and out it all in as a jig.

I don't think you could build them one after the other though.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post