Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 20-04-2012, 10:30 PM   #61
bigwil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Carsguide is at it again.

I own a 2007 Territory SR awesome car, LOVE IT
Old 20-04-2012, 10:43 PM   #62
4vdean

I love my territory (04 ghia) yeh 2 sets of ball joints replaced under warrantee (outside of warantee period) free of charge and now at 170,000km it's been great, ford certainly did the righty by me, just putting it in perspective.
Old 20-04-2012, 10:56 PM   #63
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We have an SY II late 2009 build since new. Only been back to the dealer for regular servicing and hasn't missed a beat in 2+ years. We haven't been on the Forums about it for these reasons plus:

It's economical, quiet, roomy, comfortable, flexible and feels very safe on wet roads.

I can't understand the comments in that article regarding the ZF gearbox. My ex-wife had to have the DSG gearbox of her Golf replaced after only 18 months of ownership; luckily it was covered under warranty as I've heard these can cost a bomb to replace.
Old 20-04-2012, 11:19 PM   #64
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta_Man69
Glad you think that it was amusing.

I didn't. My parents didn't either.

But then again you weren't there, on the road, in the middle of a roundabout when the ball joints failed like they were. My mother was hysterical. You didn't have to race 30 mins to their assistance (Ford sure as **** didn't want to now about getting a tow truck to them...) No - I had to do all that.

The experience for them was horrendous - and I'd like to know on what grounds you can confidently state that collapsing ball joints were "not a danger to those who had them....." (sounds very much like Ford PR speak to me...)

It was sheer dumb luck that the failure didn't occur at a higher speed another time...... There have been numerous letters sent in to Carsguides Graham Smith about balljoints collapsing in roundabouts/carparks/roads: again, this is not an isolated incident - Ford is just lucky no one was killed fanging through a national park when they decided to fail....

I can only assume that, perhaps, if Ford's negligence affected someone close to you, you would understand.

So after such an experience, I'm sure you can understand why my mother refused to get back in the car even after it was repaired: she was convinced something else was going to go wrong, despite myself trying to convince her otherwise.

....... etc..
Just a couple of things so we can all move on ......

Cant see me having a chuckle??? Confused but not amused.

If the car is under warranty including road side assistance ...... Ford would organise a tow.

If the car is NOT under warranty ...... its up to you to tow.

If the car is NOT under warranty ....... Ford will fix the ball joint issue to SY for free

It is a mechanical item ...... I have RACV cover for my cars. Even the new ones. Bit of piece of mind cos stuff happens.

Read your other threads ...... no need to say anything else

It has been stated many times how the ball joints fail and is NOT a danger. A bloody inconvenience yes.

When you sold the Territory because of how dangerous it was ...... did you inform the purchases the reasons you were selling .... being a good citizen and all?

............ move on.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Auslandau; 20-04-2012 at 11:48 PM.
Old 21-04-2012, 12:35 AM   #65
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
Just a couple of things so we can all move on ......

If the car is under warranty including road side assistance ...... Ford would organise a tow.

It has been stated many times how the ball joints fail and is NOT a danger. A bloody inconvenience yes.

When you sold the Territory because of how dangerous it was ...... did you inform the purchases the reasons you were selling .... being a good citizen and all?
Oh dear, such faith in Ford's warranty and service:

The car was under warranty. Ford did not want to know about towing it. Your faith in Ford doing the right thing just because of warranty is severly misplaced. My Fiesta was just 3 months old when it needed $10K worth of rust fixed under warranty - it took the Dept. of Fair Trading to get Ford to cover it under their "warranty"....... But arguements aside, the dealership from which the car was purchased has gone bankrupt thanks to their customer "service" (like honoring warranties etc.) - once the most prosperous dealership in Sydney in is closed for business and the only ones hurt are the honest and hard working employees of the business. If I was a raving loon then Dale Ford would be open, prosperous and would be the envy of all Ford dealerships in Australia..... but its not: clearly for a once thriving dealership to go bust there is more than one or two dissatisfied customers: there are dozens - how does a dealership stuff up like that so badly, for so long and go unchecked by Ford? And Dale Ford won't be the last Sydney dealership to shut either: this forum is littered with other dissatisfied customers of other dealerships who will never return: Ford must take direct control of its dealerships today if it wants to survive in Australia in any significant manner in the future.

The ball joints failed in the middle of a roundabout. The Territory missed hitting another car by mere inches, according to my parents who were in the car. Safe? I think someone who hasn't been involved with such a vehicle and wishes to rely on Ford's assurances that a Ford vehicle is proclaimed safe by Ford can't really comment on whether a failing balljoint (under any and all circumstances on the road) is safe or not. I wouldn't wish it to happen to your family, my own, or anyone elses whilst the vehicle is in motion (whatever that speed may be.....)

As I have clearly stated, it was my parents car, not mine: so why would I mention anything when they sold it? I wasn't there when they sold it so have no idea about the conversation that took place at that time. But hey, the balljoints were fixed, so the new owners need not worry bout a thing. Except, according to the article, the gearbox and rust....... (neither of which were a problem on this Territory, but hey, one problem from 3 ain't too bad, right?)

And yes, my parents moved on, moved right in to a Mazda in fact....
Old 21-04-2012, 01:03 AM   #66
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've never heard of the ZF gearbox having problems on the territorys. I wonder if he says the same about the falcons ZF box?? arent they the same bloody thing??? I thought the petrol territorys where pretty much the same as its falcon brother??
Old 21-04-2012, 01:14 AM   #67
HUNTER8

Quote:
And yes, my parents moved on, moved right in to a Mazda in fact....
Any chance of you moving on to a Mazda as well in the near future? Like this weekend?

Last edited by HUNTER8; 21-04-2012 at 01:15 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 21-04-2012, 01:29 AM   #68
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

but ford owns some of mazda. you'd have to move on to a toyota or something to get away from ford!!!
Old 21-04-2012, 11:33 AM   #69
TMC
SY TS AWD LPG TEZZA

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildrider
I've never heard of the ZF gearbox having problems on the territorys. I wonder if he says the same about the falcons ZF box?? arent they the same bloody thing??? I thought the petrol territorys where pretty much the same as its falcon brother??
They are the same. Ford are still using the ZF box and where is the 4spd now? I think the ZF is a big feather in Fords cap. One really good decision on their part.
4th car 90 XF ute (work car)
5th car 06 SY TS AWD Territory Orbital LPi
6th car 95 XG ute
7th car 2014 SZ Territory TX Petrol
Fords all my life.
Old 21-04-2012, 11:39 AM   #70
washoutbeach

I believe in the Ford Falcon.

The FG is a world class driving experience.
Old 21-04-2012, 11:42 AM   #71
predator
Starter Motor

I wonder if they mention the possibility of the transmission failing in a new volkswagen.. or in fact most cars. Seems silly to point a "possibility" as something to watch out for.
Old 21-04-2012, 11:47 AM   #72
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Keep it civil and on topic please guys.
Old 21-04-2012, 11:50 AM   #73
UberKnee
The One Who Knocks

Umm he's bagging out the ZF Transmission...has he actually used one because they're silky smooth. And every single car in the world ever made has its flaws.
Old 21-04-2012, 01:14 PM   #74
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

The topic of this thread was "Carsguide is at it again."

The truth is Carsguide isn't "at it" again. Graham Smith has filed an article based on facts. Facts that are supported by dozens and dozens of Territory owners in the Territory section of this very forum.

So unless those in strong opposition to Graham Smith's comments (and those on here who dare agree with him) wish to object to every Territory member who has published a comment or started a thread in grievance with their Ford Territory then there's little point in this thread.

If the Territory section of this forum was virtually absent of people with faults of their Territory (instead of being half full) then yes, Graham Smith would find himself in trouble: I am fairly certain that he visits most Aussie forums (covering all makes and models, and he's mentioned this before) so AFF has basically kneecapped itself in this matter (but should be congratulated in not censoring people who have had serious issues with Ford).

Therefore, Smith has published the truth about the Territory (and, btw, no where in his article does he say "do not buy") and if some members who won't take off their rose coloured glasses cannot handle the facts and the truth about the Territory being published, then they shouldn't read such articles (oh, and delete the Territory section of this forum perhaps??)

And if anyone can identify another car from a leading manufacturer in Aus who has had major rust problems (as identified and supported in the article and by forum members in the Territory section) in the last 8/9 years I'd love to know....
Old 21-04-2012, 01:33 PM   #75
washoutbeach

Theres nowhere near enough respect and credit for Ford out there in media land.

One could easily be forgiven for coming to the conclusion that there is some kind of insidious quiet campaign against us.

I havent had the Ford very long, but the brake design and effectiveness has already saved me and my family twice from idiot high speeding and don't look/don't indicate/just pull out drivers.

I hazard a guess that should I have been driving my previous car, I wouldn't be here enjoying the forum today.

As a consequence, I genuinely appreciate the time and effort the Ford engineers put into the brakes.

No such thing as a perfect car, its a question of degree ( taken overall) and also the subjectives of how the individual car has been driven, treated, serviced etc.
Old 21-04-2012, 01:42 PM   #76
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1683519

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1602460

its not just ford that has that problem. they all rust if you ask me
Old 21-04-2012, 01:43 PM   #77
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

The truth is Carsguide isn't "at it" again. Graham Smith has filed an article based on facts. Facts that are supported by dozens and dozens of Territory owners in the Territory section of this very forum.

So unless those in strong opposition to Graham Smith's comments (and those on here who dare agree with him) wish to object to every Territory member who has published a comment or started a thread in grievance with their Ford Territory then there's little point in this thread.

If the Territory section of this forum was virtually absent of people with faults of their Territory (instead of being half full) then yes, Graham Smith would find himself in trouble: I am fairly certain that he visits most Aussie forums (covering all makes and models, and he's mentioned this before) so AFF has basically kneecapped itself in this matter (but should be congratulated in not censoring people who have had serious issues with Ford).

Therefore, Smith has published the truth about the Territory (and, btw, no where in his article does he say "do not buy") and if some members who won't take off their rose coloured glasses cannot handle the facts and the truth about the Territory being published, then they shouldn't read such articles (oh, and delete the Territory section of this forum perhaps??)

And if anyone can identify another car from a leading manufacturer in Aus who has had major rust problems (as identified and supported in the article and by forum members in the Territory section) in the last 8/9 years I'd love to know....

Old 21-04-2012, 03:37 PM   #78
TMC
SY TS AWD LPG TEZZA

Here is some good discussion.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11363350
4th car 90 XF ute (work car)
5th car 06 SY TS AWD Territory Orbital LPi
6th car 95 XG ute
7th car 2014 SZ Territory TX Petrol
Fords all my life.
Old 21-04-2012, 06:12 PM   #79
prydey
Rob

Quote:

and most readers of the article accepted that, until they got to the bit about the zf trans. are these trans problems well documented also?

fiesta man - when did your parents territory ball joints fail? what year? how many km's on board etc. was it serviced by a dealership?
Old 21-04-2012, 06:49 PM   #80
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

most of the ball joint problems should be well and truely fixed by now. hell even the ever reliable camry has recalls. doesnt mean the cars a bad car
Old 21-04-2012, 07:01 PM   #81
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildrider
most of the ball joint problems should be well and truely fixed by now. hell even the ever reliable camry has recalls. doesnt mean the cars a bad car
Yes .... point is ..... No one is disputing the ball joint saga ..... but the ZF being the basis as not to buy 1 is a mystery. They are expensive to fix IF they require to be done after warranty ..... yes ..... so is alot of bits on a car.

I remember my sister had an old Magna, one of the first wedge type. Nice car it twas but the trans went on it way back when. IIRC she paid around $4500 and the gear box was more than the car was worth through the dealer. Limped it into a FORD dealer and traded it on an XR6 EF.

Moral of the story??? All cars can go boom and those bits that go boom can be expensive bits. If you want to avoid expensive bits going boom, buy a Malvern Star.

By the way ....... Nice bridge Mr Potts

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 21-04-2012, 07:08 PM   #82
Chopped
as in chopped

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
I'm not sure but has that bridge got ball joint problems, it doesn't look right to me. Maybe give it a miss.....
Old 21-04-2012, 07:18 PM   #83
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped
I'm not sure but has that bridge got ball joint problems, it doesn't look right to me. Maybe give it a miss.....

No, its the ZF transmisson in the crane drive!

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 21-04-2012, 08:00 PM   #84
washoutbeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
Yes .... point is ..... No one is disputing the ball joint saga ..... but the ZF being the basis as not to buy 1 is a mystery. They are expensive to fix IF they require to be done after warranty ..... yes ..... so is alot of bits on a car.

I remember my sister had an old Magna, one of the first wedge type. Nice car it twas but the trans went on it way back when. IIRC she paid around $4500 and the gear box was more than the car was worth through the dealer. Limped it into a FORD dealer and traded it on an XR6 EF.

Moral of the story??? All cars can go boom and those bits that go boom can be expensive bits. If you want to avoid expensive bits going boom, buy a Malvern Star.

By the way ....... Nice bridge Mr Potts
I leant to drive on a Magna.

My fully insured licensed professional instructor taught me the fine art of road rage (true story).

Incidentally, Smithy gave the TN magna 50/100.

Soon as I got my P plates I bought a 1963 EH Station Sedan with non-syncro transmission. Great car to learn about faults on.

It had this dodgy starter motor that used to cut out at traffic lights along major arterial roads. I sold it after a catastrophic brake failure.

Old holdens....
Old 21-04-2012, 08:03 PM   #85
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by washoutbeach
I leant to drive on a Magna.

My fully insured licensed professional instructor taught me the fine art of road rage (true story).

Incidentally, Smithy gave the TN magna 50/100.

Soon as I got my P plates I bought a 1963 EH Station Sedan with non-syncro transmission. Great car to learn about faults on.

It had this dodgy starter motor that used to cut out at traffic lights along major arterial roads. I sold it after a catastrophic brake failure.

Old holdens....
mate I think you have said enough in here

I have a question for you what the hell is a station sedan never seen or heard of one of them

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 21-04-2012, 08:06 PM   #86
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Haha...station sedan...

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 21-04-2012, 08:29 PM   #87
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Jason[98.EL
I have a question for you what the hell is a station sedan never seen or heard of one of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Haha...station sedan...
Oh dear, the younger generation....

It's the same as a Shooting Brake!!

http://www.automobile-catalog.com/ma...edan/1965.html
Old 21-04-2012, 08:32 PM   #88
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i do believe they came without balljoints....

http://www.automobile-catalog.com/ma...edan/1963.html
Old 21-04-2012, 08:37 PM   #89
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane

mmmm well there you go I take my post back

and I am not in the younger gen side of things I don't think i fit in there anymore

and just for the record we had one of them as one family cars when i was younger and we called it a station wagon

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 21-04-2012, 08:37 PM   #90
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane

Here we call 'em wagons!

\≡≡T≡≡/
Closed Thread